Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Tails is a smart kid, a bit shy , eager to work on and show off his inventions to Sonic, and a capable side kick. His actual character is pretty bland because all his traits are surface level...

He had a thing about being independent from Sonic, wasn't very cowardly, and again...was pretty capable anyway. So not knowing what to do with him is pretty standard.

Having him be more of a straight-man to Sonic's typical behavior is something that should've happened way sooner. They get along and joke around when the threat seems pretty weak or just basic Eggman, but when it's something like a powered up Metal Sonic and it actually seems pretty strong...Tails may get a bit exasperated with Sonic's recklessness. Is pretty obvious.

He also has low self esteem probably from his bully victim days, a desire to be as helpful to his hero as possible not just as a friend, but practically his little brother. He's not as capable, and therefore has even more to have to overcome than his older brother figure. He's also looking to be more like his hero rather than just help out, which is why his moveset tends to emulate Sonic's. He's always looking for approval like a child who just wants to impress their parental figures with pretty much anything they do. He's not fully courageous, but not a complete coward either. He seeks self improvement as well to be the best he can be for himself as well as others. He's lately more the straightman in recent portrayals, though go a little overblown on the ego side. He's proud of himself, but not to a boasting degree. He's humble but not afraid to call out some stupid things either.

I wouldn't say they're all surface level at all, but what is surface level even then is basically cut in half or so and not used. He has plenty of space to show himself off and improve especially, but never written to take advantage of his youth/inexperience.

Honestly, Tails would shine a lot more if the writers just let him take center stage a bit from Sonic; I get he's the sidekick and therefore is never allowed to be better than Sonic, but it would help to justify why Sonic keeps him around so much if he got some character focus beyond just being a sidekick. Hopefully the next few arcs take advantage of that given Sonic might be out of commission for a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Honestly, Tails would shine a lot more if the writers just let him take center stage a bit from Sonic; I get he's the sidekick and therefore is never allowed to be better than Sonic, but it would help to justify why Sonic keeps him around so much if he got some character focus beyond just being a sidekick. Hopefully the next few arcs take advantage of that given Sonic might be out of commission for a bit. 

To be honest, a strong self purpose can help pretty much everyone. It's nice to have the selfless hero stuff, but characters are more interesting when they also have their own self purpose to reach for. It keeps them closer to us as people. Being pure selfless is boring. Gotta throw in a nice drive or thought process.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I get he's the sidekick and therefore is never allowed to be better than Sonic, but it would help to justify why Sonic keeps him around so much if he got some character focus beyond just being a sidekick.

Uh, is being a friend and being good at what he does not enough?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 3

Tails has been around the longest aside from Sonic himself so he's in a weird place where it doesn't make sense for long time fans for him to be shown as anything but capable. People get skiddish whenever he shows self doubt or weakness. In a universe where Sonic Adventure 1 apparently happened a long time ago that's probably where Ian's head is at. It's important to show that he's grown a lot on his own and is plenty capable while still keeping that brotherly bond going.

That doesn't mean they're completely out of places to go with Tails. That's far from it. They'd just have to think outside the box a little bit. 

Buuut to be honest I've gotten more than enough of a look into Tails's psychology and his relationship with Sonic from the games. More than anything Tails is just overdone due to the fact that he's at Sonic's side no matter what across all mediums. He's always gotten attention and will always get it. Shadow and Knuckles are  both more popular with the series target audience and have more unused angles you can pick a completely independent story up from.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Buuut to be honest I've gotten more than enough of a look into Tails's psychology and his relationship with Sonic from the games. More than anything Tails is just overdone due to the fact that he's at Sonic's side no matter what across all mediums. He's always gotten attention and will always get it. Shadow and Knuckles are  both more popular with the series target audience and have more unused angles you can pick a completely independent story up from.

Not sure about Knuckles since Tails usually ranks 3rd, but we had what you said in Sonic Universe a lot. They got the most focus between the two of them. Compared to like Silver who got 2 stories, Tails who got 1 only, and I think Team Rose with Blaze got like 2...maybe 3? 

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Uh, is being a friend and being good at what he does not enough?

I mean, that's fine. But like I said, he's always playing second fiddle to Sonic despite being around for just about as long as him. 

And yea, Tails is just under Sonic & Shadow in terms of popularity. And if the problem is being tired of seeing Sonic & Tails` relationship, then maybe focus on something about Tails that's separate from Sonic? 

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I mean, that's fine. But like I said, he's always playing second fiddle to Sonic despite being around for just about as long as him. 

And yea, Tails is just under Sonic & Shadow in terms of popularity. And if the problem is being tired of seeing Sonic & Tails` relationship, then maybe focus on something about Tails that's separate from Sonic? 

Their relationship is boring, because they limit Tails so much. If he's only allowed to spout exposition/techno babble....then nobody is going to care to see these two together.  It's why most interactions between them have gotten stale. They feel less like brothers, and more like co-workers.

Personally I liked how starting with Colors he was less "Sonic's my bestest buddy in the world" and more lightheartedly taking jabs at Sonic. It felt more real that he could snark alongside him.

6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

..."Sonic's my bestest buddy in the world"...

He was never that either...

But when he dies, he'll say that.

I thought Archie brought out a little bit of Tails that is worth dipping back into.

Following his exploits in trying to prove himself - Tails hit a glass ceiling of sorts and it really bothered him that he wasn't getting the recognition of a real hero. Just Sonic's number 2. The Fighters arc touched on it, as did the journey to the far east seg-way. Despite having an extensive resume to his name, Tails felt like he was still left behind and stuck in Sonic's Shadow. The BB Armada looked to be the start of something that could give him his own elite level threat that held him in maximum disregard, but they be gone now.

I think it'd be worthwhile to go that angle again. A healthy followup to proving yourself would be to raise the stakes and see if Tails can lead the charge on some Sonic-Tier stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Ah yeah, Spark of Life was really bad for that. Being completely separate from Sonic should have given a bit more room for Tails to branch out, but I don't recall a moment where he was allowed to do that (which would be kinda bad since Big was).  

That's why I especially liked the issue where he was with Bunny at Adabat, because the little flashback with Tails & Bunny was really cool way to focus on the character (sure, Sonic was still related to that, as Sonic helping him drived him to do the same, but that wasn't a problem for me as it was a really nice portrayal of his character). That's still sad we only got one issue of Tails characterization.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's kind of it though that Tails was plenty capable and did a lot in the Archie books. He lead his own side team of Freedom Fighters even so it just feels disingenuous to have to have him prove himself again. I mean, the kid could take on an army of Battle Kukkus. I mean I can understand him having some stress tests and may have anxiety about things going to hell, but there's not been anything strong enough to suggest that. 

This is why I'm not a fan of Sega throwing out old stories because it doesn't fit the new vision. This could be used to spice up the series lore but they seem to think of it as unneeded baggage. I mean, Sonic Forces would have been more digestible for me if it had been an Archie Sonic game. No. Really. Infinite was such a poor replacement for the Egg Bosses. 

But for what it's worth, Ian is still writing the characters well. I'll admit that Sonic's helpfulness to offer compassion to Metal and Knuckles flippancy to Sonic and the gang to get off the island was more than enough to get some smiles. Plus, I like that the Doctor views Metal Sonic as his angsty robot son. It works. A lot, actually. I mean, am I a bit upset that Ian teases a good idea only for the Sega oversight committee to tell him to knock it off? Yeah. But it's what we're getting. 

Also, I want to gush about how excited I am to actually see solo stories with Tangle and Whisper. Finally, the girls are going to get some much needed character development. I can finally find out Tangle's personality besides commoner who fights for her people. I'm happy to see this. Now hopefully she won't be canned as quickly as characters who were around for 25 years were. 

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Evan Stanley will be pencilling the Tangle Whisper miniseries, she mentioned on Tumblr.

How many issues will it be?

1 hour ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Evan Stanley will be pencilling the Tangle Whisper miniseries, she mentioned on Tumblr.

Sweet

I think they need to focus on the fact of Tails being coward in Forces and have a story to prove he's not. That would give him some kind of redemption and development from recent shitty writing. Although I do think crashing an Egg Fleet ship into Master Overlord like a kamikaze was a very brave move. And they won because of that...

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

How many issues will it be?

It hasn't been revealed yet but going off what I've seen in solicits for other series 4 is probably a good guess.

I think they need to focus on the fact of Tails being coward in Forces and have a story to prove he's not. That would give him some kind of redemption and development from recent shitty writing.

Honestly I wish they'd do some Mini's in the future about the War. There's a lot of potential in the concept and the 6 month gap gives them plenty of time. They could do a story about Tails' mental state because, and I think I'll get Tarred and Feathered for this, but I don't hate the idea of Tails having a mental break. He just watched his best friend and hero beaten down and captured and was front and center to seeing Eggman's conquest. It's not a bad idea just didn't have the best execution.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think they need to focus on the fact of Tails being coward in Forces and have a story to prove he's not. That would give him some kind of redemption and development from recent shitty writing. Although I do think crashing an Egg Fleet ship into Master Overlord like a kamikaze was a very brave move. And they won because of that...

To me it would make sense if Tails tried to overcompensate for his past failing in Forces by going a little OTT, almost to the level of recklessness, next time if Sonic so much as takes a hard punch in the next fight. But I don’t see anything like that actually happening which is a shame because the events of Forces had to affect him somehow. He did show a vulnerability in Issue 1 when he commented if Sonic got hurt again and trailed off a bit so I’m still hoping there will be some longterm effect to explore. But I expect to be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, caitash said:

To me it would make sense if Tails tried to overcompensate for his past failing in Forces by going a little OTT, almost to the level of recklessness, next time if Sonic so much as takes a hard punch in the next fight. But I don’t see anything like that actually happening which is a shame because the events of Forces had to affect him somehow. He did show a vulnerability in Issue 1 when he commented if Sonic got hurt again and trailed off a bit so I’m still hoping there will be some longterm effect to explore. But I expect to be disappointed.

He already did by crashing his ship into metal Sonic.

I want them to have him acknowledge how silly he was in Forces, and say that's why he tried to do reckless things to go back to his glory days of SA1-SA2.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It hasn't been revealed yet but going off what I've seen in solicits for other series 4 is probably a good guess.

Honestly I wish they'd do some Mini's in the future about the War. There's a lot of potential in the concept and the 6 month gap gives them plenty of time. They could do a story about Tails' mental state because, and I think I'll get Tarred and Feathered for this, but I don't hate the idea of Tails having a mental break. He just watched his best friend and hero beaten down and captured and was front and center to seeing Eggman's conquest. It's not a bad idea just didn't have the best execution.

Yeah, I didn't either.I don't think it was a mental breakdown, but him striking on his own after Sonic got captured was a great plot point for that type of story.

39 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

He already did by crashing his ship into metal Sonic.

I want them to have him acknowledge how silly he was in Forces, and say that's why he tried to do reckless things to go back to his glory days of SA1-SA2.

6 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Eh, nah, I really don't think that's necessary.

13 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Personally I liked how starting with Colors he was less "Sonic's my bestest buddy in the world" and more lightheartedly taking jabs at Sonic. It felt more real that he could snark alongside him.

"Oh really? And they have shopping here too?".

Here's a hypothetical that's been kicking around my head. Would anyone like to see Tom Scioli do something with Sonic or even a crossover with a few different Sega properties? 

If you aren't familiar with him here's a TFWiki article on Transformers vs G.I. Joe https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_vs._G.I._Joe

Personally I think it'd be neat to see his unique style on a franchise like Sonic. Artistically he's devisive sure but he's got a real interesting way of tackling a license. Granted I don't think Sega would play ball with him on it but it'd still be neat to see. 

Gonna be honest, I don't think they are gonna aknolwedge forces much, even this past arc outside of " The resistance recently did a thing " there was nothing inherent to that that required forces to be a precursor.

So now that the resistance is just strait up gone....well, I don't think tails will even acknowledge that characterization, I could be wrong though. I just don't think anyone from this point on, unless infinite strait up comes back is going to acknowledge that forces happened

• Thumbs Up 2