Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't recall a moment where he was allowed to do that (which would be kinda bad since Big was). 

Uh, can you explain this particular section? 

I vaguely remember Spark of Life's overall plot progression(though Tails sorta disappears at some point, fittingly enough), but the way this was phrase is throwing me of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, can you explain this particular section? 

I vaguely remember Spark of Life's overall plot progression(though Tails sorta disappears at some point, fittingly enough), but the way this was phrase is throwing me of.

Spark of Life had the moment where Big and Sally are going somewhere in a vehicle, and they just talk about their worries and life philosophies (Big's is pretty simple, but that's fine and it's contrasted to Sally's life juggling anyway). Tails doesn't have such a moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Spark of Life had the moment where Big and Sally are going somewhere in a vehicle, and they just talk about their worries and life philosophies (Big's is pretty simple, but that's fine and it's contrasted to Sally's life juggling anyway). Tails doesn't have such a moment. 

Okay, that sounds about right.

Honestly, I kinda get the feeling Tails was only in that arc to fly Sally, Nicole, and Big to Isolated Island and get the story approved in case Big only wasn't enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I think people underestimate how much he actually has, because of not being allowed to use any of it. Because writers are too busy having him explain things or make up some shit, rather than use his actual characteristics.

Tails is a smart kid, a bit shy , eager to work on and show off his inventions to Sonic, and a capable side kick. His actual character is pretty bland because all his traits are surface level...

He had a thing about being independent from Sonic, wasn't very cowardly, and again...was pretty capable anyway. So not knowing what to do with him is pretty standard.

Having him be more of a straight-man to Sonic's typical behavior is something that should've happened way sooner. They get along and joke around when the threat seems pretty weak or just basic Eggman, but when it's something like a powered up Metal Sonic and it actually seems pretty strong...Tails may get a bit exasperated with Sonic's recklessness. Is pretty obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Tails is a smart kid, a bit shy , eager to work on and show off his inventions to Sonic, and a capable side kick. His actual character is pretty bland because all his traits are surface level...

He had a thing about being independent from Sonic, wasn't very cowardly, and again...was pretty capable anyway. So not knowing what to do with him is pretty standard.

Having him be more of a straight-man to Sonic's typical behavior is something that should've happened way sooner. They get along and joke around when the threat seems pretty weak or just basic Eggman, but when it's something like a powered up Metal Sonic and it actually seems pretty strong...Tails may get a bit exasperated with Sonic's recklessness. Is pretty obvious.

He also has low self esteem probably from his bully victim days, a desire to be as helpful to his hero as possible not just as a friend, but practically his little brother. He's not as capable, and therefore has even more to have to overcome than his older brother figure. He's also looking to be more like his hero rather than just help out, which is why his moveset tends to emulate Sonic's. He's always looking for approval like a child who just wants to impress their parental figures with pretty much anything they do. He's not fully courageous, but not a complete coward either. He seeks self improvement as well to be the best he can be for himself as well as others. He's lately more the straightman in recent portrayals, though go a little overblown on the ego side. He's proud of himself, but not to a boasting degree. He's humble but not afraid to call out some stupid things either.

I wouldn't say they're all surface level at all, but what is surface level even then is basically cut in half or so and not used. He has plenty of space to show himself off and improve especially, but never written to take advantage of his youth/inexperience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, Tails would shine a lot more if the writers just let him take center stage a bit from Sonic; I get he's the sidekick and therefore is never allowed to be better than Sonic, but it would help to justify why Sonic keeps him around so much if he got some character focus beyond just being a sidekick. Hopefully the next few arcs take advantage of that given Sonic might be out of commission for a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Honestly, Tails would shine a lot more if the writers just let him take center stage a bit from Sonic; I get he's the sidekick and therefore is never allowed to be better than Sonic, but it would help to justify why Sonic keeps him around so much if he got some character focus beyond just being a sidekick. Hopefully the next few arcs take advantage of that given Sonic might be out of commission for a bit. 

To be honest, a strong self purpose can help pretty much everyone. It's nice to have the selfless hero stuff, but characters are more interesting when they also have their own self purpose to reach for. It keeps them closer to us as people. Being pure selfless is boring. Gotta throw in a nice drive or thought process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I get he's the sidekick and therefore is never allowed to be better than Sonic, but it would help to justify why Sonic keeps him around so much if he got some character focus beyond just being a sidekick.

Uh, is being a friend and being good at what he does not enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tails has been around the longest aside from Sonic himself so he's in a weird place where it doesn't make sense for long time fans for him to be shown as anything but capable. People get skiddish whenever he shows self doubt or weakness. In a universe where Sonic Adventure 1 apparently happened a long time ago that's probably where Ian's head is at. It's important to show that he's grown a lot on his own and is plenty capable while still keeping that brotherly bond going.

That doesn't mean they're completely out of places to go with Tails. That's far from it. They'd just have to think outside the box a little bit. 

Buuut to be honest I've gotten more than enough of a look into Tails's psychology and his relationship with Sonic from the games. More than anything Tails is just overdone due to the fact that he's at Sonic's side no matter what across all mediums. He's always gotten attention and will always get it. Shadow and Knuckles are  both more popular with the series target audience and have more unused angles you can pick a completely independent story up from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Buuut to be honest I've gotten more than enough of a look into Tails's psychology and his relationship with Sonic from the games. More than anything Tails is just overdone due to the fact that he's at Sonic's side no matter what across all mediums. He's always gotten attention and will always get it. Shadow and Knuckles are  both more popular with the series target audience and have more unused angles you can pick a completely independent story up from.

Not sure about Knuckles since Tails usually ranks 3rd, but we had what you said in Sonic Universe a lot. They got the most focus between the two of them. Compared to like Silver who got 2 stories, Tails who got 1 only, and I think Team Rose with Blaze got like 2...maybe 3? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Uh, is being a friend and being good at what he does not enough?

I mean, that's fine. But like I said, he's always playing second fiddle to Sonic despite being around for just about as long as him. 

 

And yea, Tails is just under Sonic & Shadow in terms of popularity. And if the problem is being tired of seeing Sonic & Tails` relationship, then maybe focus on something about Tails that's separate from Sonic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I mean, that's fine. But like I said, he's always playing second fiddle to Sonic despite being around for just about as long as him. 

 

And yea, Tails is just under Sonic & Shadow in terms of popularity. And if the problem is being tired of seeing Sonic & Tails` relationship, then maybe focus on something about Tails that's separate from Sonic? 

Their relationship is boring, because they limit Tails so much. If he's only allowed to spout exposition/techno babble....then nobody is going to care to see these two together.  It's why most interactions between them have gotten stale. They feel less like brothers, and more like co-workers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I liked how starting with Colors he was less "Sonic's my bestest buddy in the world" and more lightheartedly taking jabs at Sonic. It felt more real that he could snark alongside him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Archie brought out a little bit of Tails that is worth dipping back into.

Following his exploits in trying to prove himself - Tails hit a glass ceiling of sorts and it really bothered him that he wasn't getting the recognition of a real hero. Just Sonic's number 2. The Fighters arc touched on it, as did the journey to the far east seg-way. Despite having an extensive resume to his name, Tails felt like he was still left behind and stuck in Sonic's Shadow. The BB Armada looked to be the start of something that could give him his own elite level threat that held him in maximum disregard, but they be gone now.

 

I think it'd be worthwhile to go that angle again. A healthy followup to proving yourself would be to raise the stakes and see if Tails can lead the charge on some Sonic-Tier stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Ah yeah, Spark of Life was really bad for that. Being completely separate from Sonic should have given a bit more room for Tails to branch out, but I don't recall a moment where he was allowed to do that (which would be kinda bad since Big was).  

That's why I especially liked the issue where he was with Bunny at Adabat, because the little flashback with Tails & Bunny was really cool way to focus on the character (sure, Sonic was still related to that, as Sonic helping him drived him to do the same, but that wasn't a problem for me as it was a really nice portrayal of his character). That's still sad we only got one issue of Tails characterization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's kind of it though that Tails was plenty capable and did a lot in the Archie books. He lead his own side team of Freedom Fighters even so it just feels disingenuous to have to have him prove himself again. I mean, the kid could take on an army of Battle Kukkus. I mean I can understand him having some stress tests and may have anxiety about things going to hell, but there's not been anything strong enough to suggest that. 

This is why I'm not a fan of Sega throwing out old stories because it doesn't fit the new vision. This could be used to spice up the series lore but they seem to think of it as unneeded baggage. I mean, Sonic Forces would have been more digestible for me if it had been an Archie Sonic game. No. Really. Infinite was such a poor replacement for the Egg Bosses. 

But for what it's worth, Ian is still writing the characters well. I'll admit that Sonic's helpfulness to offer compassion to Metal and Knuckles flippancy to Sonic and the gang to get off the island was more than enough to get some smiles. Plus, I like that the Doctor views Metal Sonic as his angsty robot son. It works. A lot, actually. I mean, am I a bit upset that Ian teases a good idea only for the Sega oversight committee to tell him to knock it off? Yeah. But it's what we're getting. 

Also, I want to gush about how excited I am to actually see solo stories with Tangle and Whisper. Finally, the girls are going to get some much needed character development. I can finally find out Tangle's personality besides commoner who fights for her people. I'm happy to see this. Now hopefully she won't be canned as quickly as characters who were around for 25 years were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they need to focus on the fact of Tails being coward in Forces and have a story to prove he's not. That would give him some kind of redemption and development from recent shitty writing. Although I do think crashing an Egg Fleet ship into Master Overlord like a kamikaze was a very brave move. And they won because of that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

How many issues will it be?

It hasn't been revealed yet but going off what I've seen in solicits for other series 4 is probably a good guess.

Quote

I think they need to focus on the fact of Tails being coward in Forces and have a story to prove he's not. That would give him some kind of redemption and development from recent shitty writing.

Honestly I wish they'd do some Mini's in the future about the War. There's a lot of potential in the concept and the 6 month gap gives them plenty of time. They could do a story about Tails' mental state because, and I think I'll get Tarred and Feathered for this, but I don't hate the idea of Tails having a mental break. He just watched his best friend and hero beaten down and captured and was front and center to seeing Eggman's conquest. It's not a bad idea just didn't have the best execution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think they need to focus on the fact of Tails being coward in Forces and have a story to prove he's not. That would give him some kind of redemption and development from recent shitty writing. Although I do think crashing an Egg Fleet ship into Master Overlord like a kamikaze was a very brave move. And they won because of that...

To me it would make sense if Tails tried to overcompensate for his past failing in Forces by going a little OTT, almost to the level of recklessness, next time if Sonic so much as takes a hard punch in the next fight. But I don’t see anything like that actually happening which is a shame because the events of Forces had to affect him somehow. He did show a vulnerability in Issue 1 when he commented if Sonic got hurt again and trailed off a bit so I’m still hoping there will be some longterm effect to explore. But I expect to be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, caitash said:

To me it would make sense if Tails tried to overcompensate for his past failing in Forces by going a little OTT, almost to the level of recklessness, next time if Sonic so much as takes a hard punch in the next fight. But I don’t see anything like that actually happening which is a shame because the events of Forces had to affect him somehow. He did show a vulnerability in Issue 1 when he commented if Sonic got hurt again and trailed off a bit so I’m still hoping there will be some longterm effect to explore. But I expect to be disappointed.

He already did by crashing his ship into metal Sonic.

I want them to have him acknowledge how silly he was in Forces, and say that's why he tried to do reckless things to go back to his glory days of SA1-SA2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.