Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

31 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

That's a good thing, just to say.

Oh I agree. Just saying , I don't even think at this point that thing with shadow and whipser some folks are speculatting on will be forces related. LIke its just done

17 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh I agree. Just saying , I don't even think at this point that thing with shadow and whipser some folks are speculatting on will be forces related. LIke its just done

It's likely actually. Whisper became a hero during the war so... something must have happened during that time. Btw, indirectly or not, Shadow is always the cause of drama and conflicts (I'm afraid this sentence will open a can of worms).

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I want them to have him acknowledge how silly he was in Forces, and say that's why he tried to do reckless things to go back to his glory days of SA1-SA2.

And I think what Flynn did right now is just fine.

Forces wanted to show emotional part of Tails, how he would be touched by Sonic being harmed. They did it wrong, but emotions are not a bat thing.

So Flynn showed those emotions correctly, in more subtle and dignified way.

That the way to write. Build upon and improve on previous works, not burn them to the ground and pretend they never happened.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Ian is really good about not retconning stuff for the sake of just doing better from a story he has to work with. Meanwhile, DC reboots its comics every few years some writers have a disagreement and change the comics' direction. Creative differences make some big conflicts, hahahahaa. 

That's a good thing about Sonic comics. They're solid no matter what one you get into. Now if only the games could be like that. I mean these still aren't my favourite Sonic comics, but they're finding their groove now and it's fun. That's what they really need really. They need to be fun reads. 

I mean he literally saw his friend as far as he knew, die right in front of him. It was basically HIS OWN fault that Sonic almost died after getting shot into space from the Ark. Yet that didn't deter him from trying his best anyways. Forces idea isn't awful, it's just executed so very poorly. Sonic appears gone, Tails doesn't seem to have even tried to do anything....welp we're fucked. Oh hey "A" Sonic appeared, now everything is ok.

They could have told a story like this, but they were more interested in emulating past serious stories rather than actually understanding them.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That the way to write. Build upon and improve on previous works, not burn them to the ground and pretend they never happened.

Sir

I don't know how many comic books you read, but there are plenty of great stories that basically throw other stories into the garbage. Sometimes things aren't worth salvaging, and into the trash it goes. And I don't think tails's role in that game was worth salvaging

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Sir

I don't know how many comic books you read, but there are plenty of great stories that basically throw other stories into the garbage. Sometimes things aren't worth salvaging, and into the trash it goes. And I don't think tails's role in that game was worth salvaging

Okay then, simple question: IDW Sonic #1. Was issue better or worse for that single page where Tails expresses worry about Sonic? Would it be better if it was replaced with one more action sequence of smashing Egg Pawns?

I mean, technically you're right: some concepts aren't worth salvaging. But it's always a good idea to at least consider this. And we're living in a world which much more prefers to "go back to the classics" and we all know how well it works goes with Sonic (cough*GreenHills*cough)

19 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I mean, that's fine. But like I said, he's always playing second fiddle to Sonic despite being around for just about as long as him. 

And yea, Tails is just under Sonic & Shadow in terms of popularity. And if the problem is being tired of seeing Sonic & Tails` relationship, then maybe focus on something about Tails that's separate from Sonic? 

I'd argue Tails being more popular than Shadow since he's the most loved/iconic secondary character in the franchise due to being a fundamental force in portraying being as important as Sonic in stopping the main villain with or without sonic. 

2 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I'd argue Tails being more popular than Shadow since he's the most loved/iconic secondary character in the franchise due to being a fundamental force in portraying being as important as Sonic in stopping the main villain with or without sonic. 

Fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I mean, ok? that's kind of beside my point. 

Problem with boosting tails role into a higher one is, the more relevant he becomes the less relevant other characters are in being specific types of players in a the context of their own jobs outside of being a shared hero role with Sonic.

Shadow and Team Dark loses the main role of being a sort of secondary main hero, because tails role into a higher role would make him sorta like Tony stark from marvel and he could basically serve as the top dog of heroic adventures and basically becomes sonic number 2, that would rob shadow of a point, that's why I hated Archie sonic, they failed to use shadow as a equal to Sonics world wide savior and sideline him from Sonic narrative because he and sonic are basically equally powerful as each other but shadow would make sonic irrelevant if they always worked together, (obviously it's not like Shadow couldn't just start his own version of freedom fighters or hero community like Knuckles, that would make him fun to read, so Archie made him a lackey to the organization that killed his only friend and keeps him from achieving main hero development by throwing him at irrelevant threats that don't bother sonic or knuckles or the entire planet at large, thusly degrading his potential from the games.)

Sure you could say he's a spy for the government, but we know he's to over the top/powerful for self contained stories that involves professional silent action. That's rouges job. Shadow was made to be Sonics main rival and serve the same purpose as Sonic with a different approach. Tails being more active independently from Sonic only works if he stay a sidekick. It's his job to work with the hero the most, not become his equal and dwarf every heroic force in the series.

28 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

B-but the one quote in sonic boom!

On 1/26/2019 at 7:15 PM, dbzfan7 said:

Oh Knuckles definitely did. We were over saturated with Knuckles and Shadow arcs.

I can't really confirm nor deny any of that as I would have no idea how they thought. Made me sad that was the case in later issues, despite what could have been done. Especially when you have someone who has the underdog feeling.

I feel pretty safe with Sonic, Knuckles, or Shadow. They are already experienced by themselves. Tails hasn't grown into his own yet so there's more risk to him than any of them. What with Knuckles extreme strength, Shadow's hax powers, and Sonic's main character slot, they pretty much are fine. Not so much for someone who isn't the fastest, strongest, or most powerful (Excluding that one time chosen one thing). Tails feels closer to the every man than the others. He's in a similar position to like Batman or Spider-man who are not the strongest, fastest, or most powerful people. Yeah I know they're main characters, but I am relating more to the not top tier powerhouses comparison.

I find you have more to tell a more interesting conflict with someone not in the top tier of powerhouses than people who's abilities practically make things feel too safe. I think it's more fun to be underpowered and find a way around things, than overpowered and can just truck on through.

Oversaturated? Shadow?

What Shadow arcs, there was only two in Archie.

We have seen Silver and Metal Sonic with and without Sonic more than we have seen Shadow and Sonic together in archie.

44 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

(obviously it's not like Shadow couldn't just start his own version of freedom fighters or hero community like Knuckles, that would make him fun to read, so Archie made him a lackey to the organization that killed his only friend and keeps him from achieving main hero development by throwing him at irrelevant threats that don't bother sonic or knuckles or the entire planet at large, thusly degrading his potential from the games.)

Sure you could say he's a spy for the government, but we know he's to over the top/powerful for self contained stories that involves professional silent action. That's rouges job.

Shadow working for GUN is something from 06 and apparently Expert Mode his own game. Archie was just following suit with canon as quickly as possible.

Problem with boosting tails role into a higher one is, the more relevant he becomes the less relevant other characters are in being specific types of players in a the context of their own jobs outside of being a shared hero role with Sonic.

Shadow and Team Dark loses the main role of being a sort of secondary main hero, because tails role into a higher role would make him sorta like Tony stark from marvel and he could basically serve as the top dog of heroic adventures and basically becomes sonic number 2, that would rob shadow of a point,

Tails and Tony Stark(and Shadow, for that matter) are very different characters.

If anything, Tails is Falcon.

keeps him from achieving main hero development by throwing him at irrelevant threats that don't bother sonic or knuckles or the entire planet at large, thusly degrading his potential from the games.)

Knuxerjak, Black Death, and Eclipse & the Dark Arms were threats to the world that Shadow went up against.

37 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Shadow working for GUN is something from 06 and apparently Expert Mode his own game. Archie was just following suit with canon as quickly as possible.

Tails and Tony Stark(and Shadow, for that matter) are very different characters.

Tails is Sonics tech expert and a genius in mechanics. He could easily be Tony Stark if he wanted too as a main driving role to rival eggman.

If anything, Tails is Falcon.

No.

Knuxerjak, Black Death, and Eclipse & the Dark Arms were threats to the world that Shadow went up against.

Knuxerjak was a Sonic and Knuckles villain, Shadow barely registered to Enerjak and basically jobbed hard. Eclipse and Black Death were nobodies that didn't make a big threating impression, they were basically boring versions of Doom and Shadow who lacked the intelligence and power Black Doom had. They weren't as relevant as a threat because Eggman didn't appear in the story like he always does in main villain arcs.

Spoiler

Since Shadow can't get sick, do you think he'll be immune to Eggman's virus?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Holy shit, an actually good question/comment about him!

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

I don't think so, Ian loves to nerf Shadow in order for weaker characters like Knuckles and Amy to look good despite Shadows power. 

22 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I don't think so, Ian loves to nerf Shadow in order for weaker characters like Knuckles and Amy to look good despite Shadows power. 

Was Shadow nerfed when he stabbed Super Neo Metal Sonic through the torso with a Chaos Spear?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

It would be cool if Ian remembered that. I'm curious if this arc will go on long enough to take advantage of something like that tho'.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Was Shadow nerfed when he stabbed Super Neo Metal Sonic through the torso with a Chaos Spear?

Just ignore him. 

...Wait Shadow can't get sick?

38 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Just ignore him. 

Part of Gerald's motivation for making him was to help discover and create cures for various diseases, including SIDS. 

So its less about Shadow not getting sick so much as he can potentially reject whatever he catches. 

39 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yep. 

IIRC, part of Gerald's research that allowed Shadow to become immortal and immune to sickness was going to be used to save Maria.

Unfortunately, G.U.N. intervened before he could complete it.