Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

I don't think so, Ian loves to nerf Shadow in order for weaker characters like Knuckles and Amy to look good despite Shadows power. 

LOL

It funny because I know you are trying to look like you are being serious.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

including SIDS. 

I think you mean NIDS.

As the ULF Shadow has no need for sick days.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I think you mean NIDS.

As the ULF Shadow has no need for sick days.

Oh that's right, it was neurological, wasn't it? 

So instead of Space Aids, it's space herpes. 

Either way - I doubt Shadow's immunity to disease would save him from what could be going down.

Spoiler

I mean, getting turned into a robot isn't like a sickness... Shadow shouldn't be immune to robotization just because his white blood cells kick so much ass. He wasn't immune to amnesia  - which was caused by outside trauma. Why would outside foreign agent nanites be any different?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow was made to be Sonics main rival and serve the same purpose as Sonic with a different approach.

I disagree with this. Shadow was made to Rival Sonic for SA2 but also to demonstrate Sonic's abilities without his moral compass. Not surprisingly, that interpretation along with Shadow himself died at the end of the game while Sonic kept on living. It was only when Shadow was brought back that he was billed more long time as a rival to Sonic but he ended up for the most part becoming Zero from the Mega Man/Rockman franchise which I honestly feel is a role that fits him better. Let him go off and experience his own story in Sonic's world since he has the background, support characters, and even a whole organization intertwined with his life not to mention the force of personality and charisma to hold his own side series without Sonic. Right now though this is Sonic's comic and his stories have a very different tone and focus than Shadow's so lets just focus on that for now. At least until Shadow gets his own miniseries like Tangle and Whisper have.

3 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

B-but the one quote in sonic boom!

One, that one quote in boom is based on information. That was recently backed up might I add.

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

I'd argue Tails being more popular than Shadow since he's the most loved/iconic secondary character in the franchise due to being a fundamental force in portraying being as important as Sonic in stopping the main villain with or without sonic. 

That ain't really how it works isn't it. Just because he's around doesn't mean people like them more, this often rings true.

16 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I disagree with this. Shadow was made to Rival Sonic for SA2 but also to demonstrate Sonic's abilities without his moral compass. Not surprisingly, that interpretation along with Shadow himself died at the end of the game while Sonic kept on living. It was only when Shadow was brought back that he was billed more long time as a rival to Sonic but he ended up for the most part becoming Zero from the Mega Man/Rockman franchise which I honestly feel is a role that fits him better. Let him go off and experience his own story in Sonic's world since he has the background, support characters, and even a whole organization intertwined with his life not to mention the force of personality and charisma to hold his own side series without Sonic. Right now though this is Sonic's comic and his stories have a very different tone and focus than Shadow's so lets just focus on that for now. At least until Shadow gets his own miniseries like Tangle and Whisper have.

I agree with everything you said generally except for the organization part, gun is kind of worthless and might as well not exist at this point

36 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Either way - I doubt Shadow's immunity to disease would save him from what could be going down.

Hide contents

I mean, getting turned into a robot isn't like a sickness... Shadow shouldn't be immune to robotization just because his white blood cells kick so much ass. He wasn't immune to amnesia  - which was caused by outside trauma. Why would outside foreign agent nanites be any different?

While I have no dog in this race i'll comment on this

Shadow getting amnesia, was caused to trauma to the head, foreign agents trying to alter your body's function is similar to the concept of a disease and one could make the case it shouldn't work. Now do I care? Not at all, Just wanted to comment on that

2 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

I don't think so, Ian loves to nerf Shadow in order for weaker characters like Knuckles and Amy to look good despite Shadows power. 

Ian constantly makes shadow seem super strong, sometimes shadow takes a hit... yeah. But you can't say Ian likes to nerf shadow after... the entierty of the archie reboot

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

It would be cool if Ian remembered that. I'm curious if this arc will go on long enough to take advantage of something like that tho'.

It would be a fun joke, like it just made shadow catch an actual cold so he couldn't help or something.

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I agree with everything you said generally except for the organization part, gun is kind of worthless and might as well not exist at this point

Perhaps I'm just a little odd but I've actually only liked GUN because of the organization's relationship with Shadow and vice versa. But I do like GUN and feel like their presence is part of a Shadow story to some degree just as much as Eggman is typically affiliated with Sonic. Now while I don't think that Eggman is always necessary for Sonic's stories and the same is true for GUN and Shadow, I do think they add a distinct flavor to his narrative and tone that makes them worth keeping around. Further, if you were to truly push the whole two worlds things (or heck three and four if you include Silver and Blaze) and made Sonic the animal world hero and Shadow the Earth hero having GUN and the United Federation helps flesh out the world. Sure it'll likely never happen, but I do think regardless that it helps give Shadow a certain flavor that I personally appreciate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sonic Fan J said:

Perhaps I'm just a little odd but I've actually only liked GUN because of the organization's relationship with Shadow and vice versa.

You aren't odd. GUN's entire existence and relevancy depends on whether shadow mentions them. The only reason anyone cares about gun is shadow, and like Topaz from the cartoon if you remember her. Otherwise... eh. They are expendable.

Just now, Sonic Fan J said:

But I do like GUN and feel like their presence is part of a Shadow story to some degree just as much as Eggman is typically affiliated with Sonic. Now while I don't think that Eggman is always necessary for Sonic's stories and the same is true for GUN and Shadow, I do think they add a distinct flavor to his narrative and tone that makes them worth keeping around. Further, if you were to truly push the whole two worlds things (or heck three and four if you include Silver and Blaze) and made Sonic the animal world hero and Shadow the Earth hero having GUN and the United Federation helps flesh out the world. Sure it'll likely never happen, but I do think regardless that it helps give Shadow a certain flavor that I personally appreciate.

So right I agree that GUN could be interesting. I thought at least in Archie they were gonna have snively try and frame shadow for something and he was gonna go all captain America  winter solider and fight the GUN while fighting the real badguys. But now that the worlds are definitely separate , there is an issue, I do not care about humans in sonic, thus I have no interest in GUN. Humans in sonic are not visually interesting, and the Gun organization I don't think has ever been interesting. Trying to combine those things gets a giant ass meh from me dog. The only thing gun could do to make themselves interesting at this point is start a branch in sonic's world with animal people. At least to me.

And even then I feel like the better version of that is shadow collecting people with talent to create a sort of " Darkwatch " team who's job it is to protect stuff but operating in the dark and stuff because maybe he doesn't wanna see eggman get that much power again or something. It be a great way to show shadow... being a leader and like gathering a larger team to do stuff.

I guess my point is, for me. Gun served its purpose as an incompetent military organization willing to frame people for murders. Outside of that, its just been meh

8 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Problem with boosting tails role into a higher one is, the more relevant he becomes the less relevant other characters are in being specific types of players in a the context of their own jobs outside of being a shared hero role with Sonic.

Shadow and Team Dark loses the main role of being a sort of secondary main hero, because tails role into a higher role would make him sorta like Tony stark from marvel and he could basically serve as the top dog of heroic adventures and basically becomes sonic number 2, that would rob shadow of a point, that's why I hated Archie sonic, they failed to use shadow as a equal to Sonics world wide savior and sideline him from Sonic narrative because he and sonic are basically equally powerful as each other but shadow would make sonic irrelevant if they always worked together, (obviously it's not like Shadow couldn't just start his own version of freedom fighters or hero community like Knuckles, that would make him fun to read, so Archie made him a lackey to the organization that killed his only friend and keeps him from achieving main hero development by throwing him at irrelevant threats that don't bother sonic or knuckles or the entire planet at large, thusly degrading his potential from the games.)

Sure you could say he's a spy for the government, but we know he's to over the top/powerful for self contained stories that involves professional silent action. That's rouges job. Shadow was made to be Sonics main rival and serve the same purpose as Sonic with a different approach. Tails being more active independently from Sonic only works if he stay a sidekick. It's his job to work with the hero the most, not become his equal and dwarf every heroic force in the series.

An yellow young sidekick getting a larger role due to his technical popularity, over characters that are stronger and in theory more capable of independent stories?

Nope never happened. Not even once. And definitely not in a very next sequel.

Sorry, but being closely connected to popular character is not enough to grew more popular. If you're sidekick, you stay as sidekick.

Animation, life action, games, things like this just universally don't happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

On Shadow's nerf: Am I the only one who hates when Shadow is overpowered? I love him and all but... idk, he needs weaknesses to be a balanced character. If he's OP it's just... boring.

About Tails: the problem with his character is that when they try to have an arc for him it creates drama and the writers can't handle it, it's a good idea but eventually it becomes a mess. Happened in Lost World and Forces, it's not a problem in the comic because... there is actually a competent writer here. (Let's leave that Fiona story in the dark past though).

Speaking of nerfs , I don't understand why Rouge throwing bombs instead of using her screw attack which is her most recognizable attack , I find that odd using bombs instead of it  , even the game showed her kicking with her legs . Thank god Sega heroes did justice with her , I can play her using her original attacks from SA2 .

Edited by Gumbit

3 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

On Shadow's nerf: Am I the only one who hates when Shadow is overpowered? I love him and all but... idk, he needs weaknesses to be a balanced character. If he's OP it's just... boring.

I don't? Because he never gets to use his powers in a way that's truly fucked up unless its fighting a non friend or someone he has no interest in murdering. Shadow being powerful is cool, and its neat to have a chracter that can do a bunch of cool stuff. Wish they used his powers in better ways to be honest... not just for shadow either, one of my issues with ian's writing is that it seems like he can't for shit creatively write anyone fighting in an interesting way.

Edit: Ain't just shadow either, there's a bunch of characters with messed up abilities, even sonic himself that never get to use them in a way that causes them to be messed up. So I always find it weird to single shadow out, when characters like silver who's power negate most of the casts's means of fighting never actually gets called out. Shadow and some other characters are a little extra broken sure, but I feel like there's room for that and that's fun. As long as he's not litterally fucking jiren and just tanking everything with out emoting and don't think there's reason to complain

About Tails: the problem with his character is that when they try to have an arc for him it creates drama and the writers can't handle it, it's a good idea but eventually it becomes a mess. Happened in Lost World and Forces, it's not a problem in the comic because... there is actually a competent writer here. (Let's leave that Fiona story in the dark past though).

I will never forget the fiona story with creep tails and weirdo jerk sonic

By the way, I just realized what we have here with the possible Tangle and Whisper dynamic: Sonic and Shadow female version, now I know they are rivals and all but thinking about it... one is extroverted, social, with charisma and a positive personality and apparently is simple without an actual backstory, while the other is more serious, introverted, has probably a tragic background that changed her personality. Basically polar opposites, while it's sad that I could use more interactions between Sonic and Shadow, I am interested by this pairing, and I'm curious about how these 2 characters will be fleshed out.

16 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Since Shadow can't get sick, do you think he'll be immune to Eggman's virus?

Depends on how Gerald designed his immune system, I guess.

Given the details of his creation and how durable Shadow is, I wouldn’t find it far-fetched he’d be the only one immune. But then again, who knows how Eggman designed his virus for alien-hybrids?

8 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Speaking of nerfs , I don't understand why Rouge throwing bombs instead of using her screw attack which is her most recognizable attack , I find that odd using bombs instead of it  , even the game showed her kicking with her legs . Thank god Sega heroes did justice with her , I can play her using her original attacks from SA2 .

What's wrong with a secret agent, treasure hunter, or master thief using gadgets?

5 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

What's wrong with a secret agent, treasure hunter, or master thief using gadgets?

I prefer if she is using her physical strength than lame gadgets , because she looks more cooler and stronger when she smash robots with her legs  . It's ridiculous  to introduce a spy/thief that destroyed robots with her legs , then later seeing her only throwing lame bombs on those robots , as if she was never able to destroy them by herself before . I refuse throwing shitty bombs to be Rouge's main fighting style .

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Bombs. Her little Rouge bombs from Sonic Battle were cool.

If you mean Bat cracker , it's the only bomb I like and it was secondary move , and in this game  still Rouge main fighting style is kicking .

I can imagine bat cracker being as little friend to Rouge , since it looks like a chubby cute bat .

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

She can do both.

I would rather see her rely more on her main fighting style , it's more recognizable and fun , Bat cracker should be a secondary move and shouldn't take most of screen time .

19 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Shue kicked robots in issue 9

It was only one screen shot with one robot , and most of the fight she was throwing  bombs , which should be the opposite . At least bat crackers would be more fun since they can flying bombs  and look cute , but those pink bombs generic are shit .

Edited by Gumbit

9 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Well she threw Bombs in the games too. It is odd that the Screw Kick hasn't been used yet but I don't think I'd call that "Nerfing" her exactly. 

Also despite the whole "Will Shadow be affected" I'd like to point out we don't know if he's even in this arc.

23 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Well she threw Bombs in the games too. It is odd that the Screw Kick hasn't been used yet but I don't think I'd call that "Nerfing" her exactly. 

Also despite the whole "Will Shadow be affected" I'd like to point out we don't know if he's even in this arc.

BUT forces final battle and Sega heroes showed her using screw attack  ,  but they used throwing bombs instead .

Please guys I'm not trying to attack Ian or the people behind the comics . I just want them to get Rouge fighting right , I don't want to see her in future comics using bombs , I would rather her using her kick style  , I have been always like this thing  about her  .

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She "could" use both.

And I would rather see her using the good one most of time , not the shitty one .