Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

Little to nothing to talk about, I see.

22 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Tails' Adventure he learns the spin dash and the manual states that it takes place before he met Sonic.

Though the item that gives him the spin dash, has Sonic's face on it.

Oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tails adventure in the japanese manual says it's before he met Sonic, the US after. Take that how you will.

The US manual of Sonic 2 had this as well.

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a showoff!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Tails adventure in the japanese manual says it's before he met Sonic, the US after. Take that how you will.

The US manual of Sonic 2 had this as well.

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a showoff!

 

I like this idea, it makes sense on multiple levels. It emphasizes friendship between the two, Tails intelligence and explains why Sonic couldn't do it in first game.

But while I usually pick Japan canon over US, I don't like the idea that Tails spin-offs take place before Sonic 2. Tails was suppose to be this meek kid who learn to be hero from Sonic and even that process will properly end around SA1-2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Tails adventure in the japanese manual says it's before he met Sonic, the US after. Take that how you will.

The US manual of Sonic 2 had this as well.

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a showoff!

 

Are we sure that isn't just a typo though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Razule said:

Are we sure that isn't just a typo though? 

The manual is written to imply that Tails invented the spindash and then labeled it as a means to mimic/keep up with Sonic's performances.

Its no typo. That is intentional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, I don't buy Ian always saying "I'm done with shipping", I think he could be protecting himself from haters, since most of his bad stuff came from shipping, but small things like Sonic and Amy's sexual tension, Tangle being likely a lesbian and her interesting potential "interaction" with Whisper... those are just cute, nice and harmless moments, I think, plus they are teens, it would not make sense to have a world without love. I'm even surprised SEGA approved most of that stuff anyway. Just... Let's avoid having a focus on relationships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Btw, I don't buy Ian always saying "I'm done with shipping", I think he could be protecting himself from haters, since most of his bad stuff came from shipping, but small things like Sonic and Amy's sexual tension, Tangle being likely a lesbian and her interesting potential "interaction" with Whisper... those are just cute, nice and harmless moments, I think, plus they are teens, it would not make sense to have a world without love. I'm even surprised SEGA approved most of that stuff anyway. Just... Let's avoid having a focus on relationships.

To touch or not to touch...that is the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Btw, I don't buy Ian always saying "I'm done with shipping", I think he could be protecting himself from haters, since most of his bad stuff came from shipping, but small things like Sonic and Amy's sexual tension, Tangle being likely a lesbian and her interesting potential "interaction" with Whisper... those are just cute, nice and harmless moments, I think, plus they are teens, it would not make sense to have a world without love. I'm even surprised SEGA approved most of that stuff anyway. Just... Let's avoid having a focus on relationships.

I mean stuff like Amy's crush is literally as far as we're getting. I'd love for Tangle to be a Lesbian (The way she's eyeballing Blaze is more than just excitement I tells ya!) but he's confirmed already that he's not thinking of Tangle's sexuality because it doesn't matter at this point and said view her however you want.

I wouldn't put it past a possible future writer to confirm though. After all gay and Trans Transformers didn't really start being a thing until the Phase 2 stuff. I mean...outside of that iffy Arcee Spotlight Simon Furman did but that...wasn't the best example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Does someone know what's the meaning of the name Starline? I get Tangle and Whisper, but what does the name "Starline" have to do with the character?

I thought it might have to do with the gem, but apparently not. It could be a reference to one of his abilities, though.

Here's a definition, just in case:

Spoiler

a hot gaseous mass, such as the sun, that radiates energy, esp. as light and infrared radiation, usually derived from thermonuclear reactions in the interior, and in some cases as ultraviolet, radio waves, and X-rays.

12 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

 

I wouldn't put it past a possible future writer to confirm though. After all gay and Trans Transformers didn't really start being a thing until the Phase 2 stuff. I mean...outside of that iffy Arcee Spotlight Simon Furman did but that...wasn't the best example. 

Woahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoah, HOL'UP...!  There's a Trans-Transformer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Btw, I don't buy Ian always saying "I'm done with shipping", I think he could be protecting himself from haters, since most of his bad stuff came from shipping, but small things like Sonic and Amy's sexual tension, Tangle being likely a lesbian and her interesting potential "interaction" with Whisper... those are just cute, nice and harmless moments, I think, plus they are teens, it would not make sense to have a world without love. I'm even surprised SEGA approved most of that stuff anyway. Just... Let's avoid having a focus on relationships.

...In order

What sexual tension ... what?

Two... how do you even know that tangle is a lesbian. I mean I don't mind LGBT representation is good... but She has never done anything to indicate anything that she is likely anything

Three them being teens doesn't matter? Generally sonic characters don't acknowledge any type of romantic feelings in the main games ( particularly the guys because girls are icky or something )  outside of , Amy liking sonic , that weird kiss thing with elise, and a couple of lines from rouge to shadow. But outside of that weird thing with Elise its crushes and vagueness , well Rouge saying she think's shadow is kinda handsome isn't really vague  but its never acted upon its played up at jokes at best and any possible serious use is .... years ago. And if this comic is more reflective of the games now it will most likely stay that way. 

Ian being done with shipping makes sense, he desn't have to deal with weirdo fans, and its probably something sega isn't interested in.

Would I like there to be relationships? Sure in theory if it offers anything interesting, like LGBT representation or some form of general character growth. But it isn't required and them being teens is meaningless because they are as adult and as childish as the stories require. Sonic characters, much like ...Archie Characters ironically enough are teenagers to seem cool to children. Or that was the case before all that rebranding took off and everything became darker and sexier in the town of riverdale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Woahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoah, HOL'UP...!  There's a Trans-Transformer?

Yep, that's a thing, at least in IDW comics. If I'm not mistaken there is transgender lesbian couple (because of course they are) introduced in 2017, Lug and Anode. I'm going to assume it's a apology for IDW Arcee.

( That's touchy subject, but long story short main writer though robots shouldn't have genders, but had to intrude Arcee. So an evil scientist made creepy experiment to make second sex, basically forcibly changing gender of Arcee. Yes that's uncomfortable. And that's not even the creepiest thing transformers ever did.)

 

 

Back to topic, I 90% don't care about shipping, but every full moon I see something like this  this and little shipper in my head takes over (and I didn't even watched this show. I don't even know the charaters names. And I still find them adorable together).

With that said, I'm not sure if Flynn is would wrote a good romance. I saw him write Knux/Julie, Sonic/Sally/Khan, etc. Only romance I got into was Breezie/Metal, because it just looked fascinating (...okay, Shard and Nicole a little too.). Still I suspect effect would be "okay" at best, and took a precious little space we have. So yeah, I prefer to stick to ship-teases for now.

 

 

As for LGBT... if it has to happen, can we get male gays first? Avatar Korra, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, My Little Pony (sorta, backgrounds). I'm getting a little tired of all those lesbian couples, with every show getting proud how progressive it is, while male are a comic reliefs at best (Gravity Falls). I probably sounds mean, but I can't help but feel all those shows are playing it safe, cause lesbians are kinda hot or something. Played straight male gay romance in "cartoon"? I don't know if I would enjoy it, but I would sure respect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I probably sounds mean, but I can't help but feel all those shows are playing it safe, cause lesbians are kinda hot or something.

Its just the safest route to take if your looking to score those "bonus" points. Like you said, more people have done it, so there is more context/material out there to soften to blow, and as a result girl couples are just... more palatable right now. If your looking to check all the boxes, there isn't much reason not to take the safe passage.

Honestly, I think cartoons shouldn't look to be inclusive for the sake of inclusiveness. Just like any other brand of media, it should design its characters to be the best suited to carry out their roles, not to score imaginary progressive ideological points.

 

38 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Two... how do you even know that tangle is a lesbian. I mean I don't mind LGBT representation is good... but She has never done anything to indicate anything that she is likely anything

People see what they want to see, and Tangle straight GUSHING over Blaze is well over the sufficient amount of up for interpretation jibber jabber known to spawn that kind of thinking.

If someone smiles at someone else - someone will take that as free license to ship it. Sometimes it takes even less than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

 

People see what they want to see, and Tangle straight GUSHING over Blaze is well over the sufficient amount of up for interpretation jibber jabber known to spawn that kind of thinking.

If someone smiles at someone else - someone will take that as free license to ship it. Sometimes it takes even less than that.

Hey people can ship whatever they  want , whatever that's cool. I'm just like, the suggestion that a character is likely any orientation in a series like this where large swaths of the cast don't acknowledge that sort of thing, is stretching it is all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Hey people can ship whatever they  want , whatever that's cool. I'm just like, the suggestion that a character is likely any orientation in a series like this where large swaths of the cast don't acknowledge that sort of thing, is stretching it is all.

 

You're trying to be logical about this when these reactions are anything but logical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's stretching in everything ever, the problem is that because they legitimately do see something there...it's brought up a LOT. It then gets annoying.

No? There are series where there is clear intent by the " Author " ( using author as a general term for creative team ) to suggest relationships or LGBT preferences with out actually committing to  it. Its is and has been a hot topic of discussion in a lot of analytical media circles. And how to interpret that as far as representation goes , and people kind of upset and wishing they could be more open about orientation instead of trying to play to a crowd with out offending another.

The idea of this isn't crazy, its just... you know , crazy for this specific thing. A series where a bunch of key popular male protagonists for the most part don't really seem to have romantic interests , because girls are " Icky " and sonic despite is large female fanbase is a series who creators seem to think is primarily for young boys.So it this context it becomes absurd because this is clearly a series who when represented by the people who are dictators of what the brand are , has no real interest in romantic relationships of any orientation besides hetero normative jokes.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You're trying to be logical about this when these reactions are anything but logical.

You aren't wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Woahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoah, HOL'UP...!  There's a Trans-Transformer?

Yeah. Her name is Anode and she debuted in Lost Light. Look her up on TFWiki.

As for the topic at hand...Yeah very few Sonic characters even really haveany sexuality. Personally I like to interpret that as free range to headcanon as I see fit (you'll take Pansexual Sonic out of my cold dead hands) but that's just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The manual is written to imply that Tails invented the spindash and then labeled it as a means to mimic/keep up with Sonic's performances.

Its no typo. That is intentional.

Idk the sentences are phrased weirdly.

Quote

All the animals call Miles by his nickname, "Tails," because of his 2 special tails. And one day the saw an astonishing feat...

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a show-off!

Suddenly, "Tails" just couldn't help himself. He took a running start, curled up his tails and - whoosh - he was spinning like Sonic!

They're watching Sonic perform. Then Tails does the spin dash, and is the one called a show-off. Then Tails suddenly spins just like Sonic, and it's treated as a surprise, even though he just invented a greater feat?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yep, that's a thing, at least in IDW comics. If I'm not mistaken there is transgender lesbian couple (because of course they are) introduced in 2017, Lug and Anode. I'm going to assume it's a apology for IDW Arcee.

( That's touchy subject, but long story short main writer though robots shouldn't have genders, but had to intrude Arcee. So an evil scientist made creepy experiment to make second sex, basically forcibly changing gender of Arcee. Yes that's uncomfortable. And that's not even the creepiest thing transformers ever did.)

 

 

 

49 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah. Her name is Anode and she debuted in Lost Light. Look her up on TFWiki. 

The heck? As if Transformers wasn't jank enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Razule said:

Idk the sentences are phrased weirdly.

They're watching Sonic perform. Then Tails does the spin dash, and is the one called a show-off. Then Tails suddenly spins just like Sonic, and it's treated as a surprise, even though he just invented a greater feat?

 

 

It sounds like the thing Tails did was just his normal running animation, where he spins his Tails in order to keep up with Sonic.

While the 2nd sentence describes him actually curling into a ball with his Tails...which doesn't match the animation, but is closer to what would happen in later games and animated portrayals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

It sounds like the thing Tails did was just his normal running animation, where he spins his Tails in order to keep up with Sonic.

While the 2nd sentence describes him actually curling into a ball with his Tails...which doesn't match the animation, but is closer to what would happen in later games and animated portrayals.

What the first sentence is describing though is the introduction of the Spin-Dash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.