Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

15 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's stretching in everything ever, the problem is that because they legitimately do see something there...it's brought up a LOT. It then gets annoying.

No? There are series where there is clear intent by the " Author " ( using author as a general term for creative team ) to suggest relationships or LGBT preferences with out actually committing to  it. Its is and has been a hot topic of discussion in a lot of analytical media circles. And how to interpret that as far as representation goes , and people kind of upset and wishing they could be more open about orientation instead of trying to play to a crowd with out offending another.

The idea of this isn't crazy, its just... you know , crazy for this specific thing. A series where a bunch of key popular male protagonists for the most part don't really seem to have romantic interests , because girls are " Icky " and sonic despite is large female fanbase is a series who creators seem to think is primarily for young boys.So it this context it becomes absurd because this is clearly a series who when represented by the people who are dictators of what the brand are , has no real interest in romantic relationships of any orientation besides hetero normative jokes.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You're trying to be logical about this when these reactions are anything but logical.

You aren't wrong.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Woahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoahwoah, HOL'UP...!  There's a Trans-Transformer?

Yeah. Her name is Anode and she debuted in Lost Light. Look her up on TFWiki.

As for the topic at hand...Yeah very few Sonic characters even really haveany sexuality. Personally I like to interpret that as free range to headcanon as I see fit (you'll take Pansexual Sonic out of my cold dead hands) but that's just me. 

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The manual is written to imply that Tails invented the spindash and then labeled it as a means to mimic/keep up with Sonic's performances.

Its no typo. That is intentional.

Idk the sentences are phrased weirdly.

All the animals call Miles by his nickname, "Tails," because of his 2 special tails. And one day the saw an astonishing feat...

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a show-off!

Suddenly, "Tails" just couldn't help himself. He took a running start, curled up his tails and - whoosh - he was spinning like Sonic!

They're watching Sonic perform. Then Tails does the spin dash, and is the one called a show-off. Then Tails suddenly spins just like Sonic, and it's treated as a surprise, even though he just invented a greater feat?

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yep, that's a thing, at least in IDW comics. If I'm not mistaken there is transgender lesbian couple (because of course they are) introduced in 2017, Lug and Anode. I'm going to assume it's a apology for IDW Arcee.

( That's touchy subject, but long story short main writer though robots shouldn't have genders, but had to intrude Arcee. So an evil scientist made creepy experiment to make second sex, basically forcibly changing gender of Arcee. Yes that's uncomfortable. And that's not even the creepiest thing transformers ever did.)

49 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah. Her name is Anode and she debuted in Lost Light. Look her up on TFWiki. 

The heck? As if Transformers wasn't jank enough.

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

Idk the sentences are phrased weirdly.

They're watching Sonic perform. Then Tails does the spin dash, and is the one called a show-off. Then Tails suddenly spins just like Sonic, and it's treated as a surprise, even though he just invented a greater feat?

It sounds like the thing Tails did was just his normal running animation, where he spins his Tails in order to keep up with Sonic.

While the 2nd sentence describes him actually curling into a ball with his Tails...which doesn't match the animation, but is closer to what would happen in later games and animated portrayals.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

It sounds like the thing Tails did was just his normal running animation, where he spins his Tails in order to keep up with Sonic.

While the 2nd sentence describes him actually curling into a ball with his Tails...which doesn't match the animation, but is closer to what would happen in later games and animated portrayals.

What the first sentence is describing though is the introduction of the Spin-Dash.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

A series where a bunch of key popular male protagonists for the most part don't really seem to have romantic interests , because girls are " Icky "

Where does this line of thought come from?

Sonic is represented as a total horn-dog in most mediums and even in the games he doesn't exactly shy away from flirty banter with Rouge. In Black Knight, he got pretty friendly with Nimue rather quickly. Plus, he was developed with a legit girlfriend in mind on three separate occasions; two that got left on the cutting room floor (Madonna and Tiara) and anther that should have (Elise). Then there is Vela-Nova. Outside the games he's had enough flings and sucked face with enough girls to build a decent sized harem. The list is enormous. Outside of Amy, Sonic has never put distance between himself and the opposite sex. Its usually the opposite.

The rap themes for Knux's stages in SA2 repeatedly drive home that Rouge is Sexy and is loaded with double-speak about what he would do to her when he catches her.

Dr. Eggman has been described as a feminist and has a decedent in the from of Nega... So at some point he did do the deed with some chick. Yikes.

Tails and Shadow are basically the only two main character males that haven't been represented as romantically inclined in the games. But Tails is 8 and Shadow makes his living being Cold and Distant to almost everyone. Even so, that still doesn't stop Tails from being portrayed in multiple relationships outside the games.

Even if we were to limit this conversation to just the games... Tails gets a pass due to his age... The males don't exactly shy away from the females - with the sole exception of Sonic and Amy, which is their established dynamic.

Icky? Can't say I see that.

2 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Well, it makes sense especially with this little nugget from the last Japanese Sonic X episode where Eggman compliments Rouge's bosom.

tumblr_n4rdlrd39a1r3fk98o5_500.png

Well damn, Eggman. Things you never thought you'd hear from him.

I mean, I knew about that moment, but that's not the phrasing I remember. Though it's worth noting the sense that he was distracting Rouge from her quesstion.

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

90% of what he posted is related to the games.

Its not... he brings up a bunch of comics, characters that didn't exists, and cartoons. Along with not even talking context to anything he's saying. " Knuckles song had stuff in it " Ok, but at the end of the day in game and in any game after that, nothing happens and the primary interaction between those characters is " I don't trust the bat " to the degree in which the writer of this very comic doesn't believe that relationship is a thing.

Or how sonic talking to a woman is flirting. Or some weird harem score counting thing he's doing that's creepy.

So, no. No its not.

And again I'm done with this, his response was wild creepy. And you can die on that hill if you want to

48 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Where does this line of thought come from?

Sonic is represented as a total horn-dog in most mediums and even in the games he doesn't exactly shy away from flirty banter with Rouge. In Black Knight, he got pretty friendly with Nimue rather quickly. Plus, he was developed with a legit girlfriend in mind on three separate occasions; two that got left on the cutting room floor (Madonna and Tiara) and anther that should have (Elise). Then there is Vela-Nova. Outside the games he's had enough flings and sucked face with enough girls to build a decent sized harem. The list is enormous. Outside of Amy, Sonic has never put distance between himself and the opposite sex. Its usually the opposite.

Yeah I don't really get this either. There's plenty of evidence both in games and other media that Sonic is willing to get with the ladies. Adding to Black Knight he was also kind flirty with Percival "I guess you could say Whim is my other master".

But for some reason this idea that Sonic is completely Asexual is rampant. Not that there's anything wrong with being Ace just I don't really get where this idea is coming from. 

21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What does this have to do with anything? That's not a flirty line...

It's def not read as one even regarding the line that comes after it.

He said it after saving her, she blushed and Caliburn even reacted to it as a flirty moment with "Please save the hugs and kisses for later."

1, Eggman's bio didn't mention anything about women at all. Not womanising, not feminism, nothing. The localisation just threw it in at random. A better point would be how he has to have macked up somewhere along the line for Eggman Nega to exist, being his descendent and all. 

2. A lot of scenes have an issue where the read in the West is not the same as the intended read with Japanese values. Sonaze's popularity in the West is solely dictated by moments that the Japanese don't read as romantic and is instead read as being shows of Sonic helping Blaze through her introverted-ness (ala what he's doing with Whisper in the comic now), hence why Sonaze basically doesn't exist there. In a similar fashion outside the games (and perhaps a point that I may be dug into for), barely anyone in Japan reads Vecnilla as a serious ship because not only is dynamic not lend itself to romantic reciprocation (I mean, it's basically Bowser/Peach but without the whole kidnapping stuff...mostly), the Chaotix in the original version are treated way, way less seriously than the dub, to the point that they're more like actors playing parts with how deeply they break the fourth wall. Not only is that quality lost in the dub, the West has a lot more sympathy towards that dynamic in general. I mean, this is all moot since none of the Chaotix have ever shown romantic inclination anywhere in the games (aka the thing that matters), but eh. 

3. There's also the fact I'm pretty sure the games have actually walked back on 99% of the potential romance that was there in the post-2010 era. Sonic's interactions with women have had any hint of flirting just eliminated outright, Amy's crush has been dialled down massively in terms of how it affects her actions, and anything between Knuckles and Rouge has just straight up gone to the point I don't think the games even consider it a potential ship any more. In that light, IDW not going into that reflects the games perfectly. 

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The rap themes for Knux's stages in SA2 repeatedly drive home that Rouge is Sexy and is loaded with double-speak about what he would do to her when he catches her.

Eww... this line of rap was inappropriate and the whole rap sucks 

I tend to do these from time to time. It's a little hobby of mine for editing some stuff among, art and mocking up upcoming Sonic comic covers are a thing I'd like to try and do whenever it is possible before official uploading when motivation kicks in. 15's place holder was one I attempted to do and even if it's not the cleanest from what I've done, it's the best I could create and edit so I'm not sure how it is for anyone's view.

dlOXQhN.png

14 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, apparently, it was supposed to be womanizer.

Oh. That makes a lot more sense.

But either way - feminist or womanizer - my point still stands. Can't think girls are icky with either of those mindsets.

14 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

The response from @Sega DogTagz is creepy and there's a lot of stuff to unpack with that. And i'm going to choose not touch that. Along with, not really listening to what I said .

Sorry my reprisal of Sonic's actual history got too hot and heavy for you.  lol.

What kind of response were you expecting? The only girl Sonic has ever avoided was Amy. He is pretty much a chick magnet outside of her and that aspect of his personality has been fairly consistent across all mediums to boot.

If talking about Sonic's attraction to the opposite sex is enough to make you uncomfortable - feel free to ignore it... but that kinda proves my point. If the Main characters thoguht girls were Icky, there would be nothing to be uncomfortable about. 

9 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

3. There's also the fact I'm pretty sure the games have actually walked back on 99% of the potential romance that was there in the post-2010 era. Sonic's interactions with women have had any hint of flirting just eliminated outright, Amy's crush has been dialled down massively in terms of how it affects her actions, and anything between Knuckles and Rouge has just straight up gone to the point I don't think the games even consider it a potential ship any more. In that light, IDW not going into that reflects the games perfectly. 

They walked back Amy - mainly because of how out of hand she got in the lead up to 2010 but you can really chalk up the rest to circumstance. I guess that bit is up for interpretation, but I imagine that was a move done to refocus her character - rather than an overall move to remove potential romance. Amy is still always introduced as his love-struck hopeful girlfriend after-all. That's not going to change.

Post 2010 we've had Generations - a game where each side character had maybe 3 speaking likes each. Lost World where the cast was stripped all the way down and Forces where the situation was admittedly much more dire from the get-go. A good deal of the space for character interaction and all those ship-tease's and what not went right out the window with the narrative real estate. We don't see as much as we did before because we are not getting the sheer amount of interactions we had in the 2000-2010 time gap. Everything has been paired down. The boom sub-franchise took the last few handheld slots (which were always prime text and character interaction heavy real estate) so the usual fallback hasn't been there either.

7 hours ago, Gumbit said:

Eww... this line of rap was inappropriate and the whole rap sucks 

Blasphemy

Knux raps carry the entire game.