Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I like seeing passion of fans of particular characters like Shadow or Amy or Cream...

But, if we remove Amy from her leadership position, what do you expect to happen? Either she chases Sonic or does nothing...

So Flynn did great changes by having her actually do something.

True. Just try not be entitled with your opinions...which I don't believe FirenIce normally does. :smile: 

And to be a little generous here, I do kinda question having Amy running things there. Not because I want her free to be around all the time or whatever, but more that it seems a little odd for her to be the one doing that. 

It's better than her being tech support, though, I'll give it that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the leadership idea for Amy, but I wouldn't mind that much if they tried something else either. In Sonic Adventure, not everything in her arc revolved around Sonic, and she was mainly driven by willing to help a smoll bird. TBH I could imagine Amy doing that, just helping people in her life while being more less nomadic than Sonic… But I also like the idea of her being now more "mature" than before in that she does the kind of hard work the other wouldn't do, it make the evolution visible.

It's not like it's the only idea possible to work with her, it's just that it is imo a pretty nice one.

 

I also think it suit how the character worked in recent game, like in Forces (and how Boom made evolve the perception of the character with Amy being more proactive in field that the other would have find boring) as even if she wasn't the leader, she had a role that we can make evolve to the one of the "actual leader". Basically, I like how this vision kinda tie how she was in Adventure and in the latest games, so it's nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

True. Just try not be entitled with your opinions...which I don't believe FirenIce normally does. :smile: 

And to be a little generous here, I do kinda question having Amy running things there. Not because I want her free to be around all the time or whatever, but more that it seems a little odd for her to be the one doing that. 

It's better than her being tech support, though, I'll give it that.

It was hinted back in issue 2 that she was the one running the resistance while Knuckles only led the fights.

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

 But I also like the idea of her being now more "mature" than before in that she does the kind of hard work the other wouldn't do, it make the evolution visible.

It's not like it's the only idea possible to work with her, it's just that it is imo a pretty nice one.

True, she always liked to help people (The flicky, E-102, Shadow, Metal Sonic in Mania...) so her being part of the restoration makes sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

It was hinted back in issue 2 that she was the one running the resistance while Knuckles only led the fights.

Yeah, I remember. And I was just a little iffy on that.

But it's Amy talking about Knuckles, so I let it go.

 

I was talking more in the sense of what the cutscenes and level chatter seemed to be doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Not to be rude, but you appear have an unhealthy obsession with Amy. Every time you're here in this thread, you always have to complain about how Amy is characterized no matter what. 

Unless your watching what I say on each forum I go to you can't say I'm obsess over Amy and if you what to see some complaining take a look at Team Sonic Racing. If I'm annoying you can't you just not read them?

 

But yeah, Amy's leadership role is very boring she's just so plain its the main girl with a small crush on the hero I've seen that hundred's of times on TV Amy used to have passion for Sonic that was bigger then life but under Ian's pen she's just so dry...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

 

But yeah, Amy's leadership role is very boring she's just so plain its the main girl with a small crush on the hero I've seen that hundred's of times on TV Amy used to have passion for Sonic that was bigger then life but under Ian's pen she's just so dry...

She was also very annoying before, so I really don't want that part of her to come back. 

I don't think you actually understand why Amy wasn't very liked before now, and why people are alright with this change. She was just...a brat before. She'd fly off the handle at anyone she felt was in the way of pursuing Sonic, she was bossy, and overall just unpleasant. If you found her crush on Sonic "cute", fine. But please get that everything else about her just wasn't likable at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

She's so plain when she's not doing her usual shtick which is...at this point in time also plain.

So it's a win-win.

Going from one plain thing to another,... but why? Is Sonic's shtick plain yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His general shtick is, yes.

But he's also not exactly a consistently written character outside of the comics. So whatever.

Amy was one consistent before and the only consistent thing about her now is how downplayed her main trait is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Going from one plain thing to another,... but why? Is Sonic's shtick plain yet?

To some people, yes. But the difference is that Sonic has many different dynamics with other characters across the series. While Amy...doesn't. She likes Sonic...and that's it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

She was also very annoying before, so I really don't want that part of her to come back. 

I don't think you actually understand why Amy wasn't very liked before now, and why people are alright with this change. She was just...a brat before. She'd fly off the handle at anyone she felt was in the way of pursuing Sonic, she was bossy, and overall just unpleasant. If you found her crush on Sonic "cute", fine. But please get that everything else about her just wasn't likable at all. 

Haters gonna hate.

 

9 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

To some people, yes. But the difference is that Sonic has many different dynamics with other characters across the series. While Amy...doesn't. She likes Sonic...and that's it. 

......Sonic has more dynamics than Amy, how? He fights Eggman and runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

29 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

But yeah, Amy's leadership role is very boring she's just so plain its the main girl with a small crush on the hero I've seen that hundred's of times on TV Amy used to have passion for Sonic that was bigger then life but under Ian's pen she's just so dry...

24 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She's so plain when she's not doing her usual shtick which is...at this point in time also plain.

So it's a win-win.

That's fiar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

......Sonic has more dynamics than Amy, how? He fights Eggman and runs.

That's not what a dynamic is. Running is what he does, that has nothing to do with how he interacts with other characters.

Fighting is just one half aspect of his dynamic with Eggman. If they didn't actually talk while fighting, then that itself wouldn't be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

To some people, yes. But the difference is that Sonic has many different dynamics with other characters across the series. While Amy...doesn't. She likes Sonic...and that's it. 

She also doesn't like when something denies or gets in the way of her liking Sonic.

Oh, and she doesn't respect Knuckles, Eggman, or Vector very much.

Otherwise, she's peppy and idealistic.

11 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Haters gonna hate.

 

Image result for princess elise haters gonna hate

11 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 

......Sonic has more dynamics than Amy, how? He fights Eggman and runs.

He also likes to snooze on occasion, visit new places, do daredevil shit, tease Eggman, buddy up with Tails, encourage Blaze, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He also likes to snooze on occasion, visit new places, do daredevil shit, tease Eggman, buddy up with Tails, encourage Blaze, etc. 

How is this more then Amy? Amy does all of this except maybe being a daredevil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Shadow showed more tolerance of Eggman in the games than in this comic, he's the last of his creators legacy after all. Shadow should be the one trying to stop Sonic or Knuckles from trying to pound Eggman to a bloody pulp after all the grief he's caused him and his friends, Shadow should be the one who has the drive to fight on eggmans behalf despite him being an enemy in the past, it would show that Shadow holds people in high reguard not because their capable of doing good but it would show how complex he views certain aspects of specific situations in a new duality. Shadow is written all wrong, I wanted Shadow to talk down Sonic from trying to get lose it and maybe going at eggman with all his speedy might because of eggmans destruction harming amy or tails. I'm not saying Shadow should let him go like Sonic stupidly did, Shadow should devote his cause in trying to stop eggman and then throw him to the authorities where he can serve time and hopefully reform himself turning the man into a productive modern day Gerald before he went mad. This is the story I want to see with Sonic and Shadow, a conflict where Sonic is wrong and Shadow is right but Shadow is more sound and ideal instead of the edgy hardcore death machine that jobs to Sonic the STUHOG, when he has to make Sonic look like a perfect hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

How is this more then Amy? Amy does all of this except maybe being a daredevil.

Eh, that one's debatable.

The snooze(which more about relaxing), teasing, and Blaze things don't really apply, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amy being in charge of a large aid organization is more interesting and opens more opportunities for her to be more involved with events happening in the world than watching her live at home, do her usual routine of living normally and waiting for the next newspaper or news report about Sonic and trying to figure out to where he is next.

I also feel she's much better for that role than Knuckles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, that one's debatable.

The snooze(which more about relaxing), teasing, and Blaze things don't really apply, though.

Apply to what Amy? She wanted to relax in Chronicles to talk about boys, tease Eggman by calling him a mustache monkey,  and Mario & Sonic she's a buddy with Blaze and will encourage her in their winning animation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Apply to what Amy? S

Game!Amy. Isn't that obvious?

7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

 She wanted to relax in Chronicles to talk about boys, tease Eggman by calling him a mustache monkey,  and Mario & Sonic she's a buddy with Blaze and will encourage her in their winning animation.

I'd say that's less teasing and more flat out insulting. She doesn't really get in his face or usually seek him out like Sonic does.

That Olympic things neat too, I guess. Though on the topic of Blaze, that's another thing that rubbed me wrong here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That being said, he does bring up a good point. Amy is very blatantly being written as a stand in for Sally being the leader of a large group like this. Not that its a bad thing mind you, because I do feel Amy would very much be interested in helping people around world and would have no qualms about leading people to do so. Just because her main trait is loving Sonic doesn't mean she isn't allowed to do anything else. That's not how dynamic characterization works.

I think people are too caught up in what these characters "shouldn't" do instead of what they can do. I mean...how is Amy supposed to be written if what Ian is doing is "wrong".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amy's role as a leader figure makes sense on several levels. For one, her natural empathy and compassion wouldn't allow her to just walk away like other characters (*cough*Sonic*cough*) and she easily has the tenacity and stick-to-it-tiveness to see tougher more complex jobs all the way through.

Furthermore, Forces and the start of the comic has established Sonic and his friends as inspirations and idols to the masses, and Amy is the single most accessible member of the core cast. Knuckles is isolated on his island, Sonic is always god knows where and Tails stays busy with his science work. If the masses were to turn to someone to lead them, Amy would probably be the first name on their realistically achievable list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I think people are too caught up in what these characters "shouldn't" do instead of what they can do.

This mindset is why that little back n forth even happened.

These character's base traits are so simple that there are very natural extensions that can be added to them without feeling OOC.

Amy's Role so far is fine, it fits the character. This restoration project being her idea specifically is good, it IS what she "should" do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention that there can be more than one type of leader. So, not really seeing Amy as a stand in for Sally.

It should also be noted that Sally’s leadership involved political diplomacy, whereas we can probably assume that Eggman wiped out any other political authority during the war that such is rendered moot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.