Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

Again.  IDW is not the kind of publisher who would give the middle finger to those who read the Archie comic for a quarter of a century.   There is a good chance the Freedom Fighters will show up, though yes probably in a much smaller capacity then in the Archie book.

I mean IDW incorperated G1 & Beast Wars characters alike amoung others into their Transformers book.  Have almost everyone in their TMNT books. And have done books for almost every incarnation of The Ghostbusters.

Heck they even kept the origional numbering for Walt Disney Comics & Stories!

So yea, they are pretty cool with pleasing long time fans of franchises.

IDW probably won't get a say on it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

That's the biggest thing. It depends what Big Papa SEGA wants. They have to abide by it. And if IDW wants the license, they're unlikely to really fight for something SEGA doesn't want.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Not gonna lie, the Sky Patrol ship as HQ idea was dumb.

Couldn't they just have a regular hangout while using the Sky Patrol as traveling?

Considering that it was a world tour arc and they had to get around somehow, especially with Eggman trucking around in the Death Egg, it made sense for them to have SOMETHING. And it got shot down at the end, besides.

Anyway, I want the FF back, but less as fixtures and more as a group that Sonic, Tails, and Amy run into on occasion-- the same way they do the Chaotix or Wolfpack.

Heck, as it was before, they weren't even operating together as a unit; Sonic and Tails had to go all over and round them up. If that's where the next arc was going with them all splitting up again, even better.

And with the world saved, let Sonic and Tails (and maybe Amy) do their thing and run into other characters who can aid them the way the Freedom Fighters did in the Unleashed arc.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

True. For all we know, IDW may be tremendous fans of the work Archie put out over the years and want to continue it, but unfortunately, that's Sega's call, not theirs.

EDIT: Aaaaand double ninja'd.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Not saying they will.  But these are the people that brought ROM back, they are pretty good at getting what they want/feel they need to do.  This is'nt Archie, SEGA can't hardball IDW as easily.  If Disney, Hasbro, Nick & Sony have the smarts to let IDW work their magic one would hope SEGA would as well. ?

• Thumbs Up 3

While the introduction of new characters is inevitable, the problem is whether they will be worthwhile. If Forces is just a one-time thing with its dark tone, it's not likely to be so, and we could get characters similar to the likes of Og instead of interesting, matured characters. 

IDW would have a say in it, though. A big say.

Not bigger than SEGA's, obviously, but they can probably at least state their case, try to persuade them, or even reach a compromise. It's been done.

But again, final decision IS SEGA's, but that doesn't mean it happens without IDW's input.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Not saying they will.  But these are the people that brought ROM back, they are pretty good at getting what they want/feel they need to do.  This is'nt Archie, SEGA can't hardball IDW as easily.  If Disney, Hasbro, Nick & Sony have the smarts to let IDW work their magic one would hope SEGA would as well. ?

Bro, I like your optimism, I wish I had it with a lot of things on Sonic, so I won't try to really drag it down. But all SEGA has to say is "nah, we're not giving you the license." And IDW will just be like, "lol k," I'm sure. It's not exactly like a comic is a GIANT business venture for SEGA. It's incredibly mild for a company who primarily works on software.

Hell, SEGA probably said "No Archie characters, rule one" and IDW was like "Yeah, sure, whatever."

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

I hope you're ready for this crossover. IT'S GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN!

MLP02.jpg

Yessssss, at long last the meeting of Sonic and Rainbow Dash will become reality.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the new comic ended up being more like Sonic Mega Drive. 

Half life 3!

I mean... Mega Drive/Overdrive Part 3!

7 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Do I smell a My Little Pony crossover coming? (Please don't hurt me).

BodySnatch.jpg

He is one!

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Very nice. I am excited to see what the new Sonic IDW comics have in store for us, and hopefully, it will be closer to the games than the Archie comics were. By the way, I know this was said before, but...

*puts up flame shield*

Do I smell a My Little Pony crossover coming? (Please don't hurt me).

But yeah, certainly excited for this. I wonder what new characters we will see in the new Sonic comics?

Closer how? The comics were already pretty close already, unless you mean no non-game characters at all, all game characters having to have been introduced after 1999, two different worlds, and Classic Sonic coming from another dimension.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

This is'nt Archie, SEGA can't hardball IDW as easily.  

They're the license owners.

Yes they can!

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Closer how? The comics were already pretty close already, unless you mean no non-game characters at all, all game characters having to have been introduced after 1999, two different worlds, and Classic Sonic coming from another dimension.

I meant without the SatAMness and Freedom Fighters and all. That's what.

@Mayor D I am one? I am what exactly?

1 minute ago, ShroomZed said:

Can I say I don't understand how everyone can praise Mega Drive which took place in the game continuity, then turn around when they hear the new comic is taking place in the game continuity and go "oh it's gonna have shit stories and humour and it'll be Sonic Tails and Eggman standing around making armpit farts or something" like what the hell? 

Mega Drive was running along side the regular Archie Sonic comics, so no one minded as much because they still had a choice. Now that Archie Sonic is gone however, it feels like SEGA is essentially forcing those who preferred Archie to swallow a bitter pill on top of swallowing an even more bitter pill of Archie being cancelled,

• Thumbs Up 5

Maybe the first IDW Sonic will come out guns ablazin' with a Sonic Mania story arc. 

I'd be down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

They're the license owners.

Yes they can!

Only if they want to prove they are not a liscensor worthwhile for publishers to mess with. Again its a 2-way street that involves communication & compromise.  Publishers have said no to Disney before and SEGA is no Disney.   Just sayin.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, The KKM said:

And being honest, after 24 years, it'll be smart if they just start fresh. Introduce other characters later, but establish its own take first. IDW surely deserves to make "IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog" instead of "IDW's Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog"?

This is pretty much the exact compromise I've been saying for about the last two hours.

• Thumbs Up 8

Last time publishers played hardball to Disney you got a literally bootlegged Darkwing Duck-Ducktales crossover and the license revoked.

1 minute ago, The KKM said:

Last time publishers played hardball to Disney you got a literally bootlegged Darkwing Duck-Ducktales crossover and the license revoked.

True.  But Disney has loosened up some since then.  Hopefully SEGA will take note. 

• Thumbs Up 1

How've they loosened up? IDW's still highly restricted in what they can do, and they don't even make new comics, just reprint foreign ones!