Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 hours ago, Razule said:

Having two characters interact at all...

This is just bad, these characters interacting is just a continuation of a thing that shouldn't have happened.

I don't know why everyone else is talking about boats.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This is just bad, these characters interacting is just a continuation of a thing that shouldn't have happened.

I know some people dislike Sonic Colors DS, but to say it shouldn't have happened? Harsh.

• Chuckle 5

3 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I always notice whenever a female character or male character share a moment that could be easily seen as friendship or support people are quick to assume its shipping material. 

Heck I have seen people arguing that one ship in BNHA was going to be canon because ''they were standing next to one another''   Anyway always great to see Evan's work.

...Oh, you mean My Hero Academia! Is it Momo and Todoroki? 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Fair, yeah, it is kinda odd that there's this official insistence on pairing them together. They're only connected because of the most infamous game in the series, and them being together will always remind people of it. 

You'd think there'd be a mandate for them to never appear together in the same room at all, but.. somehow they're buddies.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

...Oh, you mean My Hero Academia! Is it Momo and Todoroki? 

It's anyone. Jelloapocalypse put it best in his video about the series:

"Two characters sharing a second of screen time together? Ship them! Ship everybody! Everybody should kiss each other! Except the one who wants to kiss everybody. He shouldn't kiss anybody."

This also goes for Sonic. There are ships with Sonic and Shadow, Sonic and Tails, Amy and Metal Sonic, Amy and Shadow, Tails and Cream, and that's without getting into the weird stuff. Silver and Blaze is another ship that people really want to see together.

They're really just two friends that met by chance, as far as we can guess. And they have some similar issues, like Blaze being awkward because she won't interact with anyone, and Silver being awkward because he hasn't interacted with anyone. They make for cute platonic life partners, though I can see where others get a romantic context.

• Chuckle 1

18 minutes ago, Razule said:

Fair, yeah, it is kinda odd that there's this official insistence on pairing them together. They're only connected because of the most infamous game in the series, and them being together will always remind people of it. 

You'd think there'd be a mandate for them to never appear together in the same room at all, but.. somehow they're buddies.

I still can't figure out why Blaze was even in that game.

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

...Yeah that's a good point. Hell I'll admit I read a lot of Sonic and Rouge scenes as flirty. XD

Well, it is Rouge.

6 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

It's anyone. Jelloapocalypse put it best in his video about the series:

"Two characters sharing a second of screen time together? Ship them! Ship everybody! Everybody should kiss each other! Except the one who wants to kiss everybody. He shouldn't kiss anybody."

Ch'yeah. Who's trying to kiss everybody?

7 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

This also goes for Sonic. There are ships with Sonic and Shadow, Sonic and Tails, Amy and Metal Sonic, Amy and Shadow, Tails and Cream, and that's without getting into the weird stuff. Silver and Blaze is another ship that people really want to see together.

So Sonic&Shadow and Sonic&Tails isn't weird, eh?

7 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

They're really just two friends that met by chance, as far as we can guess. And they have some similar issues, like Blaze being awkward because she won't interact with anyone, and Silver being awkward because he hasn't interacted with anyone. They make for cute platonic life partners, though I can see where others get a romantic context.

Ah, well when you put it like that, it actually makes perfect sense.

16 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

And they have some similar issues, like Blaze being awkward because she won't interact with anyone, and Silver being awkward because he hasn't interacted with anyone.

Oh that's even worse, they're the same character.

~Fantastic~

It's weird to me how some people in this fandom completely reject the notion that there's no bad ideas just bad execution. 

Here it's more like "THIS WAS BAD ONCE NUKE IT FOREVER!"

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Ch'yeah. Who's trying to kiss everybody?

Minoru Mineta :V

So Sonic&Shadow and Sonic&Tails isn't weird, eh?

They can get weirder. coughsallyxeggmancough

Ah, well when you put it like that, it actually makes perfect sense.

When you put two characters of the opposite sex next to each other, and they're shown to have even a hint of friendship, it always seems to be the case that they must get into a romantic relationship. This is not how relationships work, as you can still be close friends without ever thinking of romance. This is how it seems to be the case with Silver and Blaze, as they can bond over similar traits and respect each other.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

~Fantastic~

Allow me to word that better:

Blaze refuses to be in social situations due to being reclusive and shy. Silver struggles to act "proper" in social situations due to being alone in his time and having no one to talk to.

One doesn't want to, the other doesn't know how to.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

~Fantastic~

No, they're loosely similar characters: Blaze is used to shutting out much contact and thus help from others, to be specific.

12 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Minoru Mineta :V

Oh-ho, kay...his last name is Minoru?

They can get weirder. coughsallyxeggmancough

Wasn't there a story touching on that in Archie's early days? 

When you put two characters of the opposite sex next to each other, and they're shown to have even a hint of friendship, it always seems to be the case that they must get into a romantic relationship. This is not how relationships work, as you can still be close friends without ever thinking of romance. This is how it seems to be the case with Silver and Blaze, as they can bond over similar traits and respect each other.

I know, it's just that their case actually seems to have some internal logic that can be behind it.

Can I just interject that there's more to it than characters just interacting? The artist on the strip has a long-running fan-comic outside of the official stuff, and that pairs Silver and Blaze together. 

Not that I read it as shipping myself (despite the wind up tag), but it's not just "characters speak to each other! Must ship!". 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

~Fantastic~

Look, there's a difference in being an introvert that closes off one's self out of fear of hurting or being hurt by others (BLAZE) and an extrovert that doesn't get to interact or make lasting connections because of a self-imposed[?] duty to fix the past in order to improve the lives of others (SILVER). Honestly, I despise 06, all of the malarkey it spawned within and after it, but mostly, the poor excuse of internal asset flips from a game (from a different genre no less) they scrapped in order to pad out a shoddy, untested alpha build Sega thought it could get away with publishing, just to meet a self-imposed deadline. But, because of the Rivals series, I'm still willing to see how these two interact with one another, because of the fact that 06's interactions between these are non-existent and these are not the same characters from that game and their interactions between one another will be new. So, either chill and try to look at this objectively or just don't read the story.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Can I just interject that there's more to it than characters just interacting? The artist on the strip has a long-running fan-comic outside of the official stuff, and that pairs Silver and Blaze together

Not that I read it as shipping myself (despite the wind up tag), but it's not just "characters speak to each other! Must ship!". 

That statement seems a bit suspect, because if what I recall about GotF correctly, they were a different Silver and Blaze from canon (Silver wasn't from a dystopian future and Blaze being Big's grand-daughter that works with Silver, I think?) and there was also a Blaze and Shadow from the Arabian Nights, ala Sinbad!Knuckles and Ali Baba!Tails, that were paired together as well... Better question, is that comic, and the site it was on, still going?

Edited by JustAfooL
Clarification of intent.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Should I just keep it to..."I don't like where that's going"...despite the fact that it's cute.

Because I don't understand the rest of the conversation going on about them being a "couple" or something.

I'd put the Silver and Blaze being paired up together down to it simply being that they have no other real affiliations. Outside of Sonic himself, Blaze only has Cream, and she's currently being stored deep down in the Sega vault at the moment, and Silver has noone, maybe aside from him teaming up with Espio in Sonic Rivals 2? (I havn't played either Sonic Rivals game.) Yes, '06 is non-canon, has a bad plot, and personally I think Blaze acts a bit weird in the story, with her being bizarrely passive about saving the future and just letting Silver be the hero, not to mention the weird older sister thing/mentor student relationship she has with Silver? Really Blaze should of just been an original character in '06, and then that would of meant that character could of maybe returned in future games, and gave Silver an actual friend and supporting character.

I just put stuff like them being shoved together in TSR down to the fact that there isn't anyone else to pair them up with. Frankly, if the next Sonic game does feature the extended cast again like Forces, and there is room in the plot for it, I'd like Silver and Blaze to have their friendship put in stone, even if it is in just a very small way. I think characters having close bonds to other characters is a good way of giving them more depth, and I think both Silver and Blaze could use that.

I can't say I'm a shipper of anyone, but I must admit I think Blaze and Silver makes sense, with posts above giving good reasons as to how they are similar. Certainly, I think it's funny that '06 has the infamous romance of Sonic being with the most boring woman on planet Earth, but goes out of its way to establish that Silver and Blaze are GOOD FRIENDS, even though 2 friends who are implied to have been with each other for sometime, going through an ordeal in a world where barely anyone else is alive forging a strong bond would probably make a more sensible romance.

29 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Should I just keep it to..."I don't like where that's going"...despite the fact that it's cute.

Because I don't understand the rest of the conversation going on about them being a "couple" or something.

Actually, can you specify what you mean by "I don't like where that's going"?  Is it the idea of them just talking casually and being friendly the issue you have or do you feel the excerpted panels are deceptive or something? I'm just trying to look at this objectively as two characters having a dialog with one another, as a character piece from a literary perspective, no "shipping", or romantic perspective implied. To adress your other point, VEDJ-F only brought that up because of Evan Stanley's prior fanworks had apparently focused on a romantic relationship between the characters, and she is working on that gardening story in the annual. Honestly, that discussion should be dropped for now, as the annual isn't out just yet and I'm pretty sure Sega has a mandate against those kind of relationships between game characters anyway. So, the point is moot. 

Addendum in light of response: Alright, I won't push the matter further. 😶

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, JustAfooL said:

Is it the idea of them just talking casually and being friendly the issue...

Yes.

The obvious answer is Sonic Nex Gen.

And I'll just leave it at that, because I don't really want to continue.

1 hour ago, silvereye27 said:

Yes, '06 is non-canon, has a bad plot, and personally I think Blaze acts a bit weird in the story, with her being bizarrely passive about saving the future and just letting Silver be the hero, not to mention the weird older sister thing/mentor student relationship she has with Silver? Really Blaze should of just been an original character in '06, and then that would of meant that character could of maybe returned in future games, and gave Silver an actual friend and supporting character.

Yeah, pretty much, that's my thought on the matter.

All 06 Blaze does is keep another original character from existing and indirectly raise questions/implications that don't really need to be there, nor did SonicTeam go through with answering.

• Thumbs Up 1

All the internet ever sees or cares about are ships. Ready the cannons and fire on something that matters.

Then again, I only say this as someone who doesn't care what these two do together either way. Maybe I'd be more for it if this was depicting something more interesting and out of left field.

Like Sonic and Eggman, holding hands in the starlight. Thats a twisty ship for your ass.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's weird to me how some people in this fandom completely reject the notion that there's no bad ideas just bad execution. 

Here it's more like "THIS WAS BAD ONCE NUKE IT FOREVER!"

Yeah just because of one bad game, it doesn't mean that they should never interact anymore. They should just make sure that this time it works better and I'm talking about FRIENDSHIP not romance 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Like Sonic and Eggman, holding hands in the starlight. Thats a twisty ship for your ass.

Like Knuckles and his green waifu the master emerald , are alone on beautiful floating island .

8 hours ago, Razule said:

Just because the game was terrible doesn't mean Silver and Blaze's friendship is, it seems to have been the only good thing about the game ( and the music)  and I think Sonic Team knows that since they still used Silver despite him being from the Infamous game. According to the official Profiles Blaze and Silver have a close Friendship, Blaze sees Silver as her little Brother. So it makes sense for them to be allowed to be poytrayed together. They do have a sibling/friendship going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

...it seems to have been the only good thing about the game...

Interactions in Sonic games are less than 50% a lot of the time, but Silver and Blaze's relationship in that game would be less than the standard we normally get in this series.

Basically, how can it be one of the good things from that game when they barely have any chemistry.They have exactly 4 conversations throughout Silver's campaign, only one of which actually displays the dynamic they're suppose to have. It's unfortunate.

What makes sense about them being paired off by Sonic Team is the traits that they apparently have in common, that IS fortunate.

Interactions in Sonic games are less than 50% a lot of the time, but Silver and Blaze's relationship in that game would be less than the standard we normally get in this series.

Basically, how can it be one of the good things from that game when they barely have any chemistry.They have exactly 4 conversations throughout Silver's campaign, only one of which actually displays the dynamic they're suppose to have. It's unfortunate.

What makes sense about them being paired off by Sonic Team is the traits that they apparently have in common, that IS fortunate.

I think… what you said is a bit contradictory. 4 conversations is more than say, what we usually get… outside of the interactions between Sonic, Tails and Eggman in current games. Maybe not at that time. But I still consider it quite fleshed out compared to most Sonic stuff. And so it's not true it is less than what we normally get. 

Chemistry… I see it actually, a lot, besides of them coming from another dimension/future which is very similar, and the fact that it's a popular pairing proves there is chemistry. Also, they have an unresolved plot which is Blaze's fate in '06, fans love unfinished business. And yeah, they kinda were the only good things along with Team Dark, in that game. I agree.

But still, it's not presented as a love relationship type. They are supposed to be like little naive brother and strong willed sister.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

that's....a lot of conversations for a Sonic game of that time lol.

Silver and Blaze have a sibling like relationship, THAT is why there paired up so much. Sonic 06 is just the introduction of that relationship.  That's all. Competently ignoring that wouldn't make much sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

that's....a lot of conversations for a Sonic game of that time lol.

Silver and Blaze have a sibling like relationship, THAT is why there paired up so much. Sonic 06 is just the introduction of that relationship.  That's all. Competently ignoring that wouldn't make much sense.

But outside of the context of 06, how did they develop that relationship? Silver is from 200 years into the future, and Blaze is from the present of another dimension.