Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, havikinazuma said:

A lot of people thumbs up your comment, but you guys probably didn't understand mine. People seemed to not care for story in the games, but merely for the gameplay. The story would work around that, as basic premise and details should suffice. I never intended on saying that the games didn't need to answer questions,  nor not give aintermediateThe comic could provide more intermediate stuff, and build up between arcs. I'm sure you can even add original story in between games arc, that could lead into games and have tie-ins. Maybe add another villain, who could be Anthro, but I also would love another human villain, so who amps himself with robotics,  or have special ability himself. I'm sure Eggman isn't only human with ambition. ?

Besides, I rather Sonic get CHALLENGED for once, maybe even have a badass fight scene,  with great choreography. Putting that speed into use.

Weeeeelll... I suppose I did get the main points straight from the get-go, but still, let's explore about this. For me this is a bit complicated topic for reasons, let's see about them:

Let's start with a point you weren't making as far as I can see.

I suppose there's always the point of those fans who just want to have a good gameplay without anything interfering with it, like the plot tends to. I can see why it would be an idea worth considering to put the plot in somewhere else than into the game, but then again... I'll have to say I'm hopping the train of "games should explain themselves instead" instead.

It's a bit of a tough fight actually, I can see the appeals of the premier solution, but then again, at worse it would just divide the fanbase more! At least if the plot become nonexistent for the games and exclusively for the comics thing. In the worst case scenario those into the plot would just stop playing and just read comics/drop the fanbase entirely. Iron thread says it'd prolly mean less $$$ for Sega, at least until the fanbase has been rebuilt, and the sweet time Sonic games take in-between appearing is somewhat long I'd say.

It'd be all about balance as you yourself actually implied, sorry about my tangent, I just wanted to explore this by myself a bit first.

So, after reading your post again...

You know... why that brings Archie's (especially) post-reboot Sonic to my mind so quickly? Though that fight Sonic and Eggman had in destroyed Knothole in pre-reboot comics was prolly one of the most badass ones. Well, I suppose I'm a bit biased but still... The only bit I'm not getting real déja vu's are some of the details you came up with for possible characters, and even then... we're going from pretty close as far as I can see.

The problem I'm picturing is though, can we get any development in the comics, since, well... the games have only been doing so much. At least we do need some side characters for some kind of steering and evolving ability.

Sorry if I got you wrong.

8 hours ago, BlueSky said:

I suppose there's always the point of those fans who just want to have a good gameplay without anything interfering with it, like the plot tends to. I can see why it would be an idea worth considering to put the plot in somewhere else than into the game, but then again... I'll have to say I'm hopping the train of "games should explain themselves instead" instead.

It's a bit of a tough fight actually, I can see the appeals of the premier solution, but then again, at worse it would just divide the fanbase more! At least if the plot become nonexistent for the games and exclusively for the comics thing. In the worst case scenario those into the plot would just stop playing and just read comics/drop the fanbase entirely. Iron thread says it'd prolly mean less $$$ for Sega, at least until the fanbase has been rebuilt, and the sweet time Sonic games take in-between appearing is somewhat long I'd say.

It'd be all about balance as you yourself actually implied, sorry about my tangent, I just wanted to explore this by myself a bit first.

That's where some fans heads are right now. Why bother to buy the games if we're not allowed to care about plot, the many characters that inhabit the world (or whatever the hell Sonic's planet is called) world-building; basically anything but the gameplay? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

47 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

That's where some fans heads are right now. Why bother to buy the games if we're not allowed to care about plot, the many characters that inhabit the world (or whatever the hell Sonic's planet is called) world-building; basically anything but the gameplay? 

I think that a world is called a world.

9 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

It's not an unfair reading of Sonic Team's own intentions.  It's easy to get the impression that Sonic Team are almost opposed to world-building, against making any kinds of broader statements about the kind of world Sonic lives in in case it prejudices their own future intentions, and forbidding anyone else from writing official stories even about material which hasn't been mentioned for years just in case (e.g. Blaze's world and Eggman Nega).  One could call it an example of their largely reactive approach to developing the story, where they have no real fundamental ideas or plans for the broader universe and just want to create something which won't lock them in to a set of fundamentals.

• Nice Smile 1

13 hours ago, Razule said:

I think that a world is called a world.

Well in the comics it was called Mobius but now there are some rights issues so it's unclear where the hell they are. It's easy to call it earth but we have people who don't like the idea of regular humans and anthropomorphic animals to be associated with each other. 

Point is the world of Sonic doesn't have an established name since it tends to go back and forth between real life earth and the alternate world those characters are said to originate from.

On 9/28/2017 at 12:08 AM, Dejimon11 said:

We'll be getting more information on October 8th 

Now that Classic Sonic is from a different dimension, aren't there two Sonics?

Tsk, the comic isn't even out and continuity is already a mess!

The fact they've been using nothing but modern Sonic in their marketing does at least suggest it's not going to be a classic Sonic-only fest. In fact, I'm curious as to whether classic Sonic will be involved with the comic at all. 

• Nice Smile 2

So, this has been out for some time now, but i just saw it yesterday, and it caught me thinking, Ian continues to tease the #KnowingSmile thing

But this time someone asked more about it, and Ian answered:

Now, of course we have nothing confirmed or disconfirmed until next sunday, but, if this is about the sonic comics would this answer be related to the direction the comic is taking and/or returning characters or even continuity? (pls let me dream k?) because according to his answer it is not something unexpected, but, in his own words, " I never saw some of this coming!"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

I'm assuming the second post is about a different job. Something pretty big from the sounds of it.

The fact they've been using nothing but modern Sonic in their marketing does at least suggest it's not going to be a classic Sonic-only fest. In fact, I'm curious as to whether classic Sonic will be involved with the comic at all

I really haven't understood this belief people have had that it'll be Classic Sonic or Adapt everything from the beginning or whatever. It makes way more sense if it's set after Forces. The Most Recent Game by that point first Arc could be about the Aftermath. Just makes the most logical sense to me.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

It's easy to call it earth but we have people who don't like the idea of regular humans and anthropomorphic animals to be associated with each other.

Despite that being the case from the very beginning of the franchise?

Point is the world of Sonic doesn't have an established name since it tends to go back and forth between real life earth and the alternate world those characters are said to originate from.

For the games, it was Earth up until Colors.  I'm still not sure if "Sonic's World" is a translation error or if they just meant it as "the world of Sonic the Hedgehog" or whatever, but I see no reason why the planet in the games shouldn't be called Earth.  Also screw that "two worlds" crap until the games prove otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, NikoS said:

So, this has been out for some time now, but i just saw it yesterday, and it caught me thinking, Ian continues to tease the #KnowingSmile thing

But this time someone asked more about it, and Ian answered:

Now, of course we have nothing confirmed or disconfirmed until next sunday, but, if this is about the sonic comics would this answer be related to the direction the comic is taking and/or returning characters or even continuity? (pls let me dream k?) because according to his answer it is not something unexpected, but, in his own words, " I never saw some of this coming!"

First of all, it's always nice to see somebody talking about nuclear physics in Twitter--- I mean, it's nice to see one of Mr. Flynn's projects got into higher gear. (Well, the physics' Nobel Prizes got announced today, though it was about gravitation waves)

Though it's not too certain whether or not it has anything to do with Sonic it's prolly going to be something huuge.

Now, about the direction. If I recall correctly, the thing said out about the new comics was something about "a new direction". Maybe this has something to do with it or not. It could be the new direction is something completely differently new than anyone can anticipate. Sunday/Monday is going to be a very interesting timescale for us I think.

B) :rolleyes: :wacko: :blink: :huh: :D :ph34r: ^_^ -_- <_<

Oh yes @NikoS, you can dream, do you have any spare room in that dream, I'd like to invite myself in there for the meantime. Thank you. ^_^

Though I dunno if it'll become one very rough landing if everything ends up backwards compared to that dream or something...

Sorry, I kinda burned myself this summer being hopeful and all. If this goes south I dunno if I can muster any enthusiasm for any hyping about Sonic afterwards.

18 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

Yup, and as many prolly know already, being a poor person myself this option starts to seem as more and more appealling to me. -_-

I suppose it's all about finding balance, but then again, can Sonic ever find a balance, considering he was supposed to be 90's cool character when he came up, or did I get it wrong again?

I mean, maybe that's the reason; they can't find a balance to a character like Sonic since "the Cool effect" is in so much flux or something, and that's why things don't work; Sonic just isn't meant to work by that logic and my brains start to hurt.

One thing I've come to conclusion about though; if the new comic is all about (as in nothing else, just this and prolly the other game characters and nothing more) Sonic's "attitude" (read; him throwing "cool" insults to others without any remorse and other's being told to just get over it since "that's what Sonic does") without any afterthoughts or any exploring about what it actually causes... well, I can tell you that it's pretty certain at that case I

1) Start yelling at Sonic in the comic book how idiot he is IMHO

2) Start thinking he's not worth me losing my nerves over a freaking "glorified ad" book

3) Stop reading and buying. If I'm getting my pressures up I want to get something else out of it than the enraged feeling over something that's on the book to stay, it is Sonic's book after all

I have no everloving idea about other people in this planet besides myself, and what I think about that kind of book is it's not worth of my time.

I seriously hope it doesn't go into that.

#NotKnowingFrown

• Thumbs Up 1

@BlueSky oh i do have plenty of space, please come in, we are not flying too high, so we don't end up injured in the case of a forced landing

• Thumbs Up 1

@NikoS, I suppose I'll still bring parachutes with me, just in case.

But I trust your word over this, I suppose we just need to mind for any flocks of birds flying around... Like an Armada of Battle Birds...

• Thumbs Up 1

I am still not getting my goddamn hopes up for that "knowing smile"...

I want this to be a pleasant surprise in the event I'm wrong and enjoy the reveal, or have less of a disappointment in the event I'm right.

On October 2, 2017 at 6:32 AM, havikinazuma said:

A lot of people thumbs up your comment, but you guys probably didn't understand mine. People seemed to not care for story in the games, but merely for the gameplay. The story would work around that, as basic premise and details should suffice. I never intended on saying that the games didn't need to answer questions,  nor not give aintermediateThe comic could provide more intermediate stuff, and build up between arcs. I'm sure you can even add original story in between games arc, that could lead into games and have tie-ins. Maybe add another villain, who could be Anthro, but I also would love another human villain, so who amps himself with robotics,  or have special ability himself. I'm sure Eggman isn't only human with ambition. ?

Besides, I rather Sonic get CHALLENGED for once, maybe even have a badass fight scene,  with great choreography. Putting that speed into use.

But that's the very thing I'm talking about--why even do all that between mediums instead of having the one which is far more capable of doing that leagues better than the other. Why have an intermediate story in the comics that ties in-between the games when you can not only do it for the games, but use said story for another game?

Especially given how niche the comics are in general compared to the other markets in the entertainment sphere, as not many will seek out a comic for answers compared to a video game which can reach a much larger audience and has a more methods and tools when it comes to storytelling. This is the very thing Ratchet and Clank did, and the comic between the games is so obscure that only die-hards would be the ones more interested in looking into it.

I can see the point behind what you're saying, but the problem is that it isn't a very compelling one in comparison to a much better option. Someone like me is big on world-building, storytelling, and exploration as much as I am for gameplay, but I wouldn't want the experience to be divided between mediums when I can have that in one package, especially when that package gives me far more latitude to experience it with greater leisure, or in the event I can't be bothered gives me the option to skip it to turn my attention to something else.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

We might start seeing news as soon as tomorrow. The panel might be in 4 days but that doesn't rule out other material appearing beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 7

11 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

What like solicts or something?

Probably general announcements like the creative team, maybe even stuff out of that creative summit IDW held in their office back in August.

I meant more as in flyers with some new info or the announced free sample. You know, stuff that could be found on the show floor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

so, we should get the first official solicits in december ? that is if sunday's panel don't reveal it prior (can they do this? idk)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

The solicits are 6 months in advance, right? We should get them in November, I think. I just want some info.

On 03/10/2017 at 12:39 PM, andrewtuell1991 said:

Despite that being the case from the very beginning of the franchise?

At the very beginning of the franchise, most people knew it as Mobius.