Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think so. I think The comic is worse. This is my opinion.

Good for you. Which one is worse still isn’t my point.

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I understand you seem to hate people have different opinions than yours

Keep telling yourself that.

Just now, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Good for you. Which one is worse still isn’t my point.

Keep telling yourself that.

Then what is your point, because you are arguing my point which was my opinion about one being worse.

So the only think you could do is argue that point. Which wouldn't be unusual for you, because you loose your shit everytime someone says something from archie might not be great

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Then what is your point, because you are arguing my point which was my opinion about one being worse.

So the only think you could do is argue that point. Which wouldn't be unusual for you, because you loose your shit everytime someone says something from archie might not be great

My point:

On 2/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Honestly, a number of things Penders had done wouldn’t be too big an issue if he didn’t have his head too fad up his ass over them given that Sega wasn’t doing any better with the stuff they were doing with Sonic.

Should go without saying that I don’t like Penders and much of his era of the comics.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

So is your point that you've decided they're equal so nobody else's opinion matters?

No, because in my opinion, the games are far worse. But that doesn’t make them any less bizzare than what Penders pulled in Archie.

9 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

No, because in my opinion, the games are far worse. But that doesn’t make them any less bizzare than what Penders pulled in Archie.

I think the games are less bizarre and I think most would agree. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Wraith said:

I think the games are less bizarre and I think most would agree. 

How so?  

The worst shit the games have - a human kissing an anthropomorphic animal guy, which is awkwardly executed but still a pretty typical fairy tale thing - is far, far less bizarre and uncomfortable than shit like Echidna Auschwitz and "First they came for the hedgehogs".

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

So what makes the apocalypses, werehog, demons, and demonic aliens the games have done get a pass among other things?

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

So what makes the apocalypses, werehog, demons, and demonic aliens the games have done get a pass?

Uhhhhh gee I dunno maybe because they're all silly fantasy elements and not awkward and tasteless analogies to real life tragedies? Maybe they're not always executed well but none of that is as bad as the shit the comics have done in the past.

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

So what makes the apocalypses, werehog, demons, and demonic aliens the games have done get a pass?

That's all fantasy cartoon shit you're talking about vs very real holocaust allegories in my Sonic comic 

Like...who's been attacked by a werehog in real life

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Uhhhhh gee I dunno maybe because they're all silly fantasy elements and not awkward and tasteless analogs to real life tragedies? Maybe they're not always executed well but none of that is as bad as the shit the comics have done in the past.

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

That's all fantasy cartoon shit you're talking about vs very real holocaust allegories in my Sonic comic 

In that case, what about government conspiracies, actual war, and genocide that the games have also done? 

Mind you, I’m not giving the comics a pass for it’s attempt at this stuff under Penders era. But I’m surprised these things are considered less bizarre by being a fantasy cartoon stuff.

Just now, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

In that case, what about government conspiracies, actual war,

All still fictionalized. Maybe Gerald getting executed by firing squad is slightly out of place, but it's largely all sci-fi bullshit. 

2 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

genocide that the games have also done?

I don't remember any outright genocide in a Sonic game, but whatever there was I'm sure it didn't come with this shit

Image result for sonic comic poem

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Not as hands-on means he doesnt get to see the drawings! He see the art the same time as we do. That's what he said.

...What? No it means he isn't as involved in the production as he was in Archie.

12 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Mind you, I’m not giving the comics a pass for it’s attempt at this stuff under Penders era.

Fair enough, but still, I'm arguing that the worst of the games is just poorly executed goofy bullshit, whereas the worst of the comics have been uncomfortable and outright offensive at times.

But I’m surprised these things are considered less bizarre by being a fantasy cartoon stuff.

"I'm surprised werewolves are considered less bizarre than holocaust references in a cartoon franchise"

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

In that case, what about government conspiracies, actual war, and genocide that the games have also done?

I'd argue that these elements arent actually even outside the realm of "kid's movie" with the way the games skirt around them through their presentation. Like Shadow's back story is gassed up by sonic fans as being some awful betrayal of tone and it sounds kinda weird on paper but a lot of it is taken from a Pokémon movie so...yeah

All of that aside they're still not fucking direct references to the holocaust. Like, wake up and think about what you're saying for a second.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Okay, time for some Bumblekast news! I'll name some important bits for IDW:
1. Ian's actually been getting along with SEGA quite well, and they have actually been very receptive to ideas. Including things coming up that he was surprised that SEGA actually gave the okay for that would've NEVER happened in the previous book. The main thing that changed is that Ian isn't as hand-on as he used to be.
2. Ian confirmed the fate of Cream the Rabbit: she is NOT back to being mandated as some people might think. In fact, she (as well as other characters) is actually coming back in Season 2. They were originally supposed to show up in Season 1, but that never came into fruition. So hey, some positive news for once.

Oh yeah, I listened to that one a week or two ago. Guess I forgot to say anything, if I even thought it was worth it.

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Like I don't want to like say no childrens product can't address any bad thing, but the comic never did it well... or even an interesting way. Refencing real life bad stuff requires a cadence and a tact the comic never had... about anything.

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'd argue that these elements arent actually even outside the realm of "kid's movie" with the way the games skirt around them through their presentation. Like Shadow's back story is gassed up by sonic fans as being some awful betrayal of tone and it sounds kinda weird on paper but a lot of it is taken from a Pokémon movie so...yeah

All of that aside they're still not fucking direct references to the holocaust. Like, wake up and think about what you're saying for a second.

I know what i’m saying, and it still stands. 

Sega has tried to turn Sonic into many things, from sci-fi government conspiracies, gods and demons, alien invasions, and war. They’ve tried to make this franchise mature by having realistic guns and cussing with ShTH, to trying to turn him into Final Fantasy come Sonic 06. They’ve tried making him similar to Mario in Lost World, and they’ve tried to go back to a darker route in Forces.

Cartoon fantasy or not, given that very bizzare and haphazard history, do you really think they wouldn’t have attempted something along the lines of what the comics have done, even if it was their own flair to it? They probably wouldn’t have plagerized a Holocaust poem like Penders did, but aside from that do you honestly think they wouldn’t attempt some of the other things he did if they had the chance?

It wouldn’t fly as easily nowadays given the hindsight they have to look back, but at the same time that Penders was? 

20 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Fair enough, but still, I'm arguing that the worst of the games is just poorly executed goofy bullshit, whereas the worst of the comics have been uncomfortable and outright offensive at times.

Of which I still wouldn’t put past them doing some of that for the games during the same period given the stuff they were already pulling at the time.

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Of which I still wouldn’t put past them doing some of that for the games during the same period given the stuff they were already pulling at the time.

I think the difference here is that they didn't and haven't done that. Regardless of how you believe they would've - they evidently didn't. Probably because they were self-aware enough to realise it was a really, really dumb idea. 

6 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I know what i’m saying, and it still stands. 

Sega has tried to turn Sonic into many things, from sci-fi government conspiracies, gods and demons, alien invasions, and war. They’ve tried to make this franchise mature by having realistic guns and cussing with ShTH, to trying to turn him into Final Fantasy come Sonic 06. They’ve tried making him similar to Mario in Lost World, and they’ve tried to go back to a darker route in Forces.

Cartoon fantasy or not, given that very history, do you really think they wouldn’t have attempted something along the lines of what the comics have done? They probably wouldn’t have plagerized a Holocaust poem like Penders did, but aside from that do you honestly think they wouldn’t attempt some of the other things he did if they had the chance?

So it's not that the games are more bizarre than the comics, but that they potentially might have been at some point because of some jarring tonal shifts and awkwardly executed but ultimately silly scenes like Shadow packing heat?

And really, I think the Holocaust references alone elevate the comics to a level of tastelessness and weirdness that even the worst game Sega could shit out ever would. You could have a game where Sonic outright tells Tails to go fuck himself, it still wouldn't be as bad and uncomfortable.

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

The worst shit the games have - a human kissing an anthropomorphic animal guy, which is awkwardly executed but still a pretty typical fairy tale thing - is far, far less bizarre and uncomfortable than shit like Echidna Auschwitz and "First they came for the hedgehogs".

What the shit?

32 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

So what makes the apocalypses, werehog, demons, and demonic aliens the games have done get a pass among other things?

Because it happened in the games.

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

I think the difference here is that they didn't and haven't done that. Regardless of how you believe they would've - they evidently didn't. Probably because they were self-aware enough to realise it was a really, really dumb idea. 

But they weren’t self-aware enough to realize realistic guns were a bad idea?

Maybe they had their own plans in mind given how little they cared about the comics and decided to do that. I doubt they’d realize it’s a dumb idea given that they were doing any better themselves at the time.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What the shit?

Y'all have no idea how weird the Archie Comics were back then. Ian Flynn was such a boon to the franchise; bless him for cleaning up the mess.

• Thumbs Up 4