Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Why is Ian choosing to set Sonic as the hero

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with tittle of the book.

BTW, different complain: Year Two so fair is Tails, Silver, Amy, ???, Chaotix. That's over 1/3 of the year, without new characters. Ok, I'm jumping to conclusions, but would that kill IDW to promote Cream or Omega to show up?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with tittle of the book.

BTW, different complain: Year Two so fair is Tails, Silver, Amy, ???, Chaotix. That's over 1/3 of the year, without new characters. Ok, I'm jumping to conclusions, but would that kill IDW to promote Cream or Omega to show up?

There is also Tangle who's said to show up, thanks to the solicit, and Cream via bumblekast. I'm definitely hoping to see more of a varied cast this time, they should leave out Team Dark, Blaze, Whisper, so they can make space for different characters to show up. I want this to be different from season 1.

Why no Blaze? Don't be hatin', she's got the best design...needs more use, people need to see it more than they already have.

Because she is back in her dimension and I suspect she won't be around this year. She will be in the annual which I think happens canonically during season 1. It's just because I want the cast to change a bit from year 1.

I'd rather less characters and more focused driven stories than a bunch of characters that offer a bunch of nothing. Having Cream, Blaze, Shadow, whoever doesn't matter. It'd just be another scenario of here they are to parade themselves for an issue, say goodbye so the next person can parade themselves alongside Sonic, and rinse repeat til cluttered ending.

Can't recommend this to anyone outside of the more die hard Sonic fans. Otherwise they'd be better off spending that money on much better comic books. Maybe the social media doesn't promote it as much as it should, because it's overall bland as fuck? Well ok I doubt that's the reason, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a Forces case here.

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is that Sonic is the main character and everyone else is his sidekick.

Back in Archie Post Reboot, he was always accompanied by the Freedom Fighters, and that was a good thing.

Sonic should not be the main protagonist. He never was.

The solution is to create new characters like the FF and add Big and Cream, and remove all the useless clutter characters like Silver and Blaze.

I might be alone here but I like Sonic being Snarky and Cheeky and confident. I like Sonic as a character because he's the type to laugh in the face of danger. I like Sonic because he's a thrill seeking adrenaline junkie. I like Sonic because he's Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The problem is that Sonic is the main character and everyone else is his sidekick.

Back in Archie Post Reboot, he was always accompanied by the Freedom Fighters, and that was a good thing.

The solution is to create new characters like the FF and add Big and Cream, and remove all the useless clutter characters like Silver and Blaze.

...you do understand that Blaze and Silver are not only more populair then either the FF and Big and Cream but also have more noticeable fighting abilities that makes then fit for battles and also Silver and Blaze both saving  Sonic and various other characters? (Silver saved Sonic's butt in the issue)

• Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

...you do understand that Blaze and Silver are not only more populair then either the FF and Big and Cream but also have more noticeable fighting abilities that makes then fit for battles and also Silver and Blaze both saving  Sonic and various other characters? (Silver saved Sonic's butt in the issue)

They will have to go back to their home some day. Unless Flynn wants to keep them forever and creates a never ending threat for Silver's future and Blaz'es dimension that we will never know.

The FF didn't have to return to their home, they were established. Unlike now where each issue has one token friend for Sonic, and next issue has another token friend.

I will keep reading the comic, but my expectations are very low now.

Enjoy the "Sonic+ 1 friend" from now on.

33 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The book is called "Sonic the Hedgehog", and Sonic the Hedgehog should not be the main protagonist...??

The characters you call "useless clutter" have fans and don't see them as you call them, and have the same right to want to see them that you to see Cream or whoever. 

Also, we don't need the Freedom Fighters in the comic. There are enough characters as of now. We've had 20+ years of stories with them, after all.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

They will have to go back to their home some day. Unless Flynn wants to keep them forever and creates a never ending threat for Silver's future and Blaz'es dimension that we will never know.

The FF didn't have to return to their home, they were established. Unlike now wehre each issue has one token friend for Sonic, and next issue has another token friend.

Yeah the games keeps them arround sometimes as well. Cartoony-logic. But its sort of silly to call them usseless clutter characters when they have proven themselves to hold on to their own without Sonic, and are beloved characters that people enjoy seeing,  and then to Compare them to the less populair ones.

The freedom Fighters wont see a return any time soon we have new characters like Tangle and Whisper and probably more to come.

Sonic IS the main protagonist though. That's both why we see him the most and for better or worse, why there isn't too much going on with him half the time--he's the character that needs to be able to move around a lot and participate in whatever the current issue's story is about while being identifiable as him. 

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wait for it.

Well the book is "Sonic The Hedgehog" so him not being the main protagonist/character sounds kinda silly. His prominence isn't the problem, it's that all these team ups aren't special at all. They're basic, repetitive, and no one really benefits from them. It's like all the work went into making the characters as accurate/least flanderized as possible (which is great as a start), and then the work stopped there on the plot. There's no real character arcs, and motivations are at their bare minimum of heroes do good, fight bad man.

I think the ideas can be neat, but mostly everyone isn't very interesting. There's really no reason to care about most if not all the characters. At best we might get a tiny little nod, but it goes nowhere. I dunno let's spitball some motivations.

-Tails is working extra hard as he feels he failed Sonic. He becomes somewhat of an adorkable badass to show improvement, but he pushes himself too much that Sonic has to save and reign in his buddy when he exhausted or acts too reckless so he feels he won't fail his hero again. He froze up and became a whimpering coward. He's ashamed of himself and his low esteem doesn't help. 

-Knuckles resigns from being a commander as he just wasn't good at it. What he was good at was being the guardian as it didn't involve taking responsibility for others. That's very difficult, especially for someone who's normally just out there punching or protecting the ME. He wants to be left alone though the Neo Metal Sonic stuff forces him back in action. Even afterwards he still leaves Amy in charge of the Resistance/whatever they call it now. But he focuses on building himself up. (Which continues the theme here)

-Amy is thrust right into the lead position and can barely handle it all. There's just so much to do, so many people need help, and coordinating this much relief is difficult. We are kinda shown this. She though steps up to be a great leader as when we pair her with people, specifically the new characters, she brings people together and gets things done. Though with so much to do that when even one thing goes wrong, she treats it as worse than it actually is even if it's not her fault. She feels she fails because she's in the leaders seat. (A different take on the theme of failure)

-Shadow is a tougher nut to figure out. But I suppose we could maybe have him think on how he did end up causing Infinite to rise in power and the world got conquered. So he failed Maria's wish. This leads him to being more overprotective, and a loose canon. Dead focused on ensuring happiness for his departed friend, even if his methods can be extreme. I'm reaching a bit here since Infinite's backstory is shit, but at least this could give a little more to Shadow as well as continue the failure theme.

-Do everything they were already doing as Mr. Tinker. Like...what the fuck. The most engaging interesting thing this comic had, and they wasted it. We coulda had Mr. Tinker become one of the greatest allies to the heroes, before he is lost back to his original self. Have him become one of the pals so his defection will be all the more sad. Make the dynamic between the heroes and Eggman even greater. This would follow the theme more outwardly than inner dilemma. Like the villains see him as a failure because of his changed ways, especially Starlight who's main mission would be to corrupt Eggman. Though this takes way longer til he succeeds. If we MUST have an Eggman in some form. Have like some back up AI that has pretty much all of his personality and intellect or something like that. Just imagine how that could lead to a face to face meeting with Eggman and Mr. Tinker in a way.

I'm not saying that has to be done...but just...anything more than what there is would be nice. I just feel like I'm watching a kid play with some action figures each issue, and that's about it. It's difficult to care or even want to give money to this boring waste of a series. I know I brought up the formula, but you can have literally anyone in pretty much any of these issues, and I don't feel they'd change much at all who Sonic is with. You'd get basically the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm usually against the idea that just because someone's the title character they should always be around/playable/whatever, but saying Sonic shouldn't be the main character and never was is just ridiculous.

He is the main character, maybe story wise Ian's just not ready to switch gears yet.

Honestly, while the new book doesn't wow me at all. Would you say that Archie reboot was better? Because the FFs appeared alongside Sonic? Here we have old and new characters who accompany Sonic, it's the same. Even Archie had them split into short groups for missions. The difference is that the reboot spent 3 full years constructing the world... and when Ian fleshed it out and was ready to play with it finally... the book got cancelled. Meh. This is why I was mad at the time. So now I'd rather have it focused on the story, but it needs to be more interesting than this.

Sonic kinda needs to be the main focus if the story has his name in the title. Would be the same if Spongebob doesn't play much of a role in his own show. Having Sonic as the focus isn't really the problem, but more that so far he doesn't have his own story yet. Sonic in the Archie era worked better because they wrote him as a character that had flaws and had something to lose to get a better character.

IDW Sonic, on the other hand, feels more like a tool to progress the story but isn't really a part of the overall narrative. 

He doesn't need to be the main focus, but so far he's written as the only one who can progress the story...which makes sense. He has no reason to stop doing what he's been doing.

I'm loving idws version  so much more. I'm glad the comic isnt cluttered with the ffs anymore.  the characters so far are amazing and I love Sonics inter actions with amy leagues more than archie ever mustered. I have to say eggman ego is huge in this arc

• Thumbs Up 2

I do still prefer Post-Reboot but that was mostly because of the improved Freedom Fighters (Post Reboot Sally is best Sally) and I really loved the Egg bosses (Thunderbolt and Colve deserved better) but I do quite like IDW Sonic, its still in its baby stage and I like where its going, It isnt cluttered with usseless boring ugly characters anymore (looking at you Lien-da and  Tommy Turtle) Great character interaction, Sonic isn't a over the top jerk anymore, ( I never cared much for the oh-so-American Ego Sonic ) the art is fantastic, major props from the past-Archie stuff, and I really enjoy the new characters Whisper. Tangle and Starline, hoping to see more characters come up as the book gets along.Its focus is still on Sonic because..ya know...he is the main character. Rather have it this way then it being focused on characters like Chris Thorndyke or one of the obnoxious Penders-Knuckles clones.

So I think I props will end up liking the comic just as much as post -reboot or maybe still less or even better! its still early to 100 percent judge.

6 hours ago, Adamis said:

The book is called "Sonic the Hedgehog", and Sonic the Hedgehog should not be the main protagonist...??

The characters you call "useless clutter" have fans and don't see them as you call them, and have the same right to want to see them that you to see Cream or whoever. 

Also, we don't need the Freedom Fighters in the comic. There are enough characters as of now. We've had 20+ years of stories with them, after all.

I swear everyday I like the Freedom Fighters less and less. 

The idea that Sonic wasn't the main character or was less important than Sally and her friends is just ludicrous. 

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, Diogenes said:

...so are we just going to ignore that Silver saved Sonic's ass twice and got in the most solid hit on Metal? This wasn't some solo-Sonic stompfest with Silver just sitting on the sidelines.

Silver rescuing Sonic was so casually routine to me which Sonic is so carefree about, he takes the situations less seriously when he mocks his enemies when their about to kill him, but it's more to do with being the MC that is always gonna be plot protected by a lucky break from either his friends or himself.

It's not even interesting to see what happens when Sonic screws up or is in trouble because his flaws dont really mean nothing serious when regarding is character, it doesn't push sonic to change as a character much, his cockiness and indifference works out for the better him alongside it making things worse, he still goes back to being the fasting talking jock that acts like he never learned from the last encounter when confronting a threat with arrogant and impulsive behavior.

Sonics like a gag hero, his attitude while getting in danger/or making mistakes are played for laughs as a routine to keep him from being too strong and keeping other characters from being useless. Sonic being saved wouldn't be a noticeable short coming of his character anyways since he's shown just as powerful as Shadow if not more if he gets angry or less laidback. Hes essentially a self nerfing Gary Stu with his ego being the nerf.