Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think Amy can stand up to Sonic and Shadow too, she's got a strong personality, she's not just a sweet cute face. 

How, Sonic barely listens to her and runs when enraged. Shadow........would just break her neck if he viewed her threating him or trying to intimidate him.  I don't think Sonic or Shadow would want to fight her, she's tends to be played as a joke.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

It's why I don't like Amy in her current position here as she is stuck behind a desk instead of getting out there and being on an adventure while helping others. It feels like such a betrayal to her love of adventure to lock her down to a desk and just gets under my skin and makes me appreciate Sonic dragging her out that much more. So sure Amy is love sick and has a major crush on Sonic which informs how she thinks about a lot of things and effects her motivations in a way, but there is so much more to her than just being lovesick and Sonic in general.

Something I havr to say is that while I like Amy being a leader, it kind of feels that her being now the head of the Restoration movement is kind of the writers making up for how she was forced to play second to Knuckles.

IMO Amy doesn't need to be stuck with one sole role, since her thing was to always follow Sonic as he heads towards the next adventure and from there on, help by either joining Sonic or helping characters that she meets up on her way.

Still, I do like Sonic inviting her to join, since it's what Amy wants, and a nice change from some of the games where she is either ignored or left behind. It's one of the things I appreciate from Ian as it feels like he does rewards the fans of the characters instead of punishingbthem like ST has done innthe last few yesrs (especially to Tails' fans). Still, I think he should do a bit more than just "on this new issue, Sonic is joined by *insert character*"... though on the other hand, I understand that there is only so much that can be done with 12 issues per year, which is why I wish there was a suplementary book similar to Sonic Universe where the other characters get more time to develop their own adventures and complement the main plots that Sonic handles in the main publication.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I always thought Amy's personality was about her being love sick.  

Amy's characterization and especially her abilities is whatever the writers feel like at any given moment. But yes, it's [almost] always some variation of that at the core.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Something I havr to say is that while I like Amy being a leader, it kind of feels that her being now the head of the Restoration movement is kind of the writers making up for how she was forced to play second to Knuckles.

IMO Amy doesn't need to be stuck with one sole role, since her thing was to always follow Sonic as he heads towards the next adventure and from there on, help by either joining Sonic or helping characters that she meets up on her way.

Still, I do like Sonic inviting her to join, since it's what Amy wants, and a nice change from some of the games where she is either ignored or left behind. It's one of the things I appreciate from Ian as it feels like he does rewards the fans of the characters instead of punishingbthem like ST has done innthe last few yesrs (especially to Tails' fans). Still, I think he should do a bit more than just "on this new issue, Sonic is joined by *insert character*"... though on the other hand, I understand that there is only so much that can be done with 12 issues per year, which is why I wish there was a suplementary book similar to Sonic Universe where the other characters get more time to develop their own adventures and complement the main plots that Sonic handles in the main publication.

Honestly, much as I'd like to see Amy in the thick of things with Sonic (hopefully issue 15 is as good as 2 was) I wouldn't actually mind Amy holding a second book herself. Much as Sonic can do the introspective character bonding he is typically billed to the main action and Amy following after him in her own book and experiencing how his heroics affect the world on the less action driven side would be a great way to highlight her character, love of Sonic, willingness to help people, and even help with world building. Doing such would also play well to the series being about Sonic and Amy supposedly being the female lead. Of course much as I'd love to see something like that it's little more than a fantasy that I'm entertaining by putting my thoughts down here.

30 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

How, Sonic barely listens to her and runs when enraged. Shadow........would just break her neck if he viewed her threating him or trying to intimidate him.  I don't think Sonic or Shadow would want to fight her, she's tends to be played as a joke.

Normally, I'd probably just ignore this due to having nothing to say, but I'll take the opportunity to share this

732b70ff7f05b15ac97ec13b414ac2f7.jpg

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

it would be neat to have more prominent characters that foregoes the pinks, purples, hearts, magic etc.

I mean, that is sorta Cream, technically/ironically.

20 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Or because they just wanted a game character to do it.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Amy's characterization and especially her abilities is whatever the writers feel like at any given moment. But yes, it's [almost] always some variation of that at the core.

That only happens in Boom and Ian Flynn writing.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

There is a heck of a lot more to Amy than that and saying otherwise is selling her extremely short. She has a compassion and empathy for others as well as a temper that motivates her into action to get others to act when she sees them lacking any confidence in themselves. She has a love of adventure with tarot and dowsing being a catalyst to get her out there in Sonic CD and her desire to help others getting her on the move like in Adventure and Heroes. It's why I don't like Amy in her current position here as she is stuck behind a desk instead of getting out there and being on an adventure while helping others. It feels like such a betrayal to her love of adventure to lock her down to a desk and just gets under my skin and makes me appreciate Sonic dragging her out that much more. So sure Amy is love sick and has a major crush on Sonic which informs how she thinks about a lot of things and effects her motivations in a way, but there is so much more to her than just being lovesick and Sonic in general.

Amy being love sick makes her stand out more compared to other TV show and game girls where two people will stay shy about each others feels for the whole series until the very last episode.

Glad I'm not the only one that dislikes Amy having a deck job.

21 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

It's one of the things I appreciate from Ian as it feels like he does rewards the fans of the characters instead of punishingbthem like ST has done innthe last few yesrs (especially to Tails' fans). 

To be fair, I don't think it's intended to be anything bad so much as them trying to do interesting stuff with a few of the characters and not being able to pull it.

Though us Knuckles and lately Cream fans have sorta been feeling a bit of burn, lately.

I think part of the problem with Knuckles is that if you use him accurately to who he is supposed to be he typically prefers to be left alone up on Angel Island so he will frequently end up with nothing to do. However, if you do want to use him more but not undermine his duty then the Japanese manual for Chaotix gives you the precedent that the Master Emerald will react to different McGuffins and Knuckles will head out to investigate to make sure that they don't put the Master Emerald and Angel Island in danger. This of course leaves you wit the problem that you'd suddenly be introducing McGuffins everywhere but since that has been a trend recently with the Phantom Ruby and now the Warp Topaz it should be taken advantage of in the comics at least. I'd love to see the artifact savvy Knuckles squaring off against Dr. Starline since it fits into his duty and plays to his strengths what with the Warp Topaz being a mystical McGuffin and all.

18 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

That only happens in Boom and Ian Flynn writing.

Ah, so I guess she didn't (insert bullet point here) that one time then, huh?

• Read tarot cards
  • Summon random junk and disembodied heads out of thin air
  • Dowse
  • Use Magic 8-balls(apparently)
  • Drive a convertible in a footrace
  • Fight with a crossbow
  • Be a feathery lesbian(?;citation needed)
  • Have violent anger issues
  • Throw Tornados
  • Kickbox
  • Overdo a diet plan
  • Hallucinate a tangible Sonic to protect her 
  • Fly
  • Turn invisible
  • Communicate with Mobini
  • Act as mission control
  • Run a computer network
18 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Glad I'm not the only one that dislikes Amy having a deck job.

Oh, and she's a se[wo]man too?

15 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I think part of the problem with Knuckles is that if you use him accurately to who he is supposed to be he typically prefers to be left alone up on Angel Island so he will frequently end up with nothing to do. However, if you do want to use him more but not undermine his duty then the Japanese manual for Chaotix gives you the precedent that the Master Emerald will react to different McGuffins and Knuckles will head out to investigate to make sure that they don't put the Master Emerald and Angel Island in danger. This of course leaves you wit the problem that you'd suddenly be introducing McGuffins everywhere but since that has been a trend recently with the Phantom Ruby and now the Warp Topaz it should be taken advantage of in the comics at least. I'd love to see the artifact savvy Knuckles squaring off against Dr. Starline since it fits into his duty and plays to his strengths what with the Warp Topaz being a mystical McGuffin and all.

I was referring more to his Heroes-esque competitiveness, with the idea of him and Sonic engaging in heroics or other epic activities. Which mind, isn't Tails being pushed for flawed character exploration or Cream getting increasingly cheated out of easy side appearances, but I can sometimes see it a tease of potentially fun things.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, that is sorta Cream, technically/ironically.

Well, Cream does have magic: healing magic from Chronicles. Yes, Chronicles is non-canon, but it still happened.

22 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Ah, so I guess she didn't (insert bullet point here) that one time then, huh?

• Read tarot cards 
  • Summon random junk and disembodied heads out of thin air 
  • Dowse
  • Use Magic 8-balls(apparently)
  • Drive a convertible in a footrace
  • Fight with a crossbow
  • Be a feathery lesbian(?;citation needed)
  • Have violent anger issues
  • Throw Tornados
  • Kickbox
  • Overdo a diet plan
  • Hallucinate a tangible Sonic to protect her 
  • Fly
  • Turn invisible
  • Communicate with Mobini
  • Act as mission control
  • Run a computer network

• Read tarot cards -  (understandable)
  • Summon random junk and disembodied heads out of thin air  - (To exaggerated to understand) But funny.
  • Dowse  - (understandable)
  • Use Magic 8-balls(apparently) - (First time hearing about this) 
  • Drive a convertible in a footrace  - (understandable)
  • Fight with a crossbow  - (understandable)
  • Be a feathery lesbian(?;citation needed)  - (To exaggerated to understand) 
  • Have violent anger issues - (understandable)
  • Throw Tornados - (understandable) Shadow can stop time. 
  • Kickbox - (understandable)
  • Overdo a diet plan - (understandable)
  • Hallucinate a tangible Sonic to protect her - (odd but understandable)
  • Fly - (fly?)
  • Turn invisible - (understandable)
  • Communicate with Mobini - (First time hearing about this)
  • Act as mission control - (that is odd)
  • Run a computer network - (this is also odd)

I don't see girl bomber or blow kiss in here...  

Oh, and she's a se[wo]man too?

I don't know what this means.

47 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Well, Cream does have magic: healing magic from Chronicles. Yes, Chronicles is non-canon, but it still happened.

Okay, I thought it was something I was forgetting after the fact.

You know, unless there's some sort of obscure thing for them to reference should they bring that back again, but it'd probably just boil down to magic anyway.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:46 AM, Dash Speed said:

Blaze belongs with the cutesy crowd Amy is in. Rouge fits the cool theme because she's sexual and female empowering. Shadow should be on par with Sonic but distinct in being cool appeal character.

Actually Rouge is in that crowd too, but they don’t really go to Cream/Marine levels. 

53 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I don't know what this means.

A deck is part of a ship.

I'm gonna put the rest of this in one quote because fuck doin more

52 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

• Summon random junk and disembodied heads out of thin air  - (To exaggerated to understand) But funny.
  • Use Magic 8-balls(apparently) - (First time hearing about this) 
  • Fight with a crossbow  - (understandable)
  • Be a feathery lesbian(?;citation needed)  - (To exaggerated to understand) 
  • Throw Tornados - (understandable) Shadow can stop time. 
  • Hallucinate a tangible Sonic to protect her - (odd but understandable)
  • Fly - (fly?)
  • Turn invisible - (understandable)
  • Communicate with Mobini - (First time hearing about this)
  • Act as mission control - (that is odd)
  • Run a computer network - (this is also odd)

I don't see girl bomber or blow kiss in here...  

1. I mean, yeah, that was kind of the point there in particular.
  2. It was on the wiki when I double checked and thus the last thing I put on the list.
  3. That's from Sonic the Comic.
  4. Same and I could be misremembering what someone else described here about Techno. 
  5. Yes, Shadow can stop time--with a Chaos Emerald, which he helped define a specfic technique for. Amy was conjuring moving tornados of hearts just by doing a swinging motion in the air.
  6. That's some reality warper shit, mang. 
  7. The Propeller Hammer. Also, the Sonic X comic, but we can chalk that up to CRF.
  8. Understandable--for what?!
  9. It might be more of a loose Archie thing, but I seem to recall something where she gets information from one of them despite their lack of speech and Runners having Omochao to translate for them. 
  10. We also agree on Forces being thrown on.
  11. Donkey!

And I left those off because I a. forgot(?) about it and b. didn't consider it a weird ability, nor out of theme.

12 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Actually Rouge is in that crowd too, but they don’t really go to Cream/Marine levels. 

And that would be...?

It's seems a lot of Amy fans want her to be a mary sue based on these comments. Since when did Amy love adventure as much as Sonic and is strong enough to hold her own against Eggman armies without help?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

It's seems a lot of Amy fans want her to be a mary sue based on these comments. Since when did Amy love adventure as much as Sonic and is strong enough to hold her own against Eggman armies without help?

Sonic Advance

• Thumbs Up 4

Apparently Amy liking adventure and liking Sonic at the same time and beating Eggbutt would make her a Mary Sue.

It's not like she hasn't been doing that since Sonic Heroes or Advance.

(What even)

• Thumbs Up 4

29 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Well Amy herself implied missing the good ole days in Adventure and complained about always being left behind in Adventure 2 so there is a basis for her having a love of adventure in the games themselves. Seeing as the franchise is an adventure franchise it's an easy enough reading of her character to latch onto with her constantly showing up and going on her own little adventures in most games only reinforces those ideas.

For Amy being able to solo armies of basic Eggman bots I'm fairly positive that that is primarily an Archie thing. I personally don't need Amy to be a total badass as I don't really think the series needs that. I'd rather it go back to a focus o adventure myself with clashes with Eggman being coincidental like they were in most stories pre colors with Amy being a girly tomboy informing her character. She has a fun dichotomic personality which I've always latched onto as a great be yourself no mater who that is message with her being an energetic girly-girl and tomboy at the same time which I think would just lend itself to all sorts of fun dynamics. It's one of the reasons I'll frequently complain when people want her stripped of all of her girly traits so that way she can be a strong female role model when she already is one by just being herself and carrying the message of be happy being you and never give up on your dreams. I find Amy's optimism and persistence to be her greatest strengths and don't need her able to knock someone into orbit with a toy hammer to care about her. She cares and has fun and invites everyone else to have fun and I honestly think that is something this franchise has forgotten to do; have fun. 

Anyway, I'm ranting now, but wanting certain character traits brought to the fore and seeing the supposed female lead of the series more involved while being a fan of hers doesn't particularly read like wanting a Mary Sue to me. I just want to see Sonic characters who enjoy adventure going out on adventures and enjoying them. Considering only Sonic and Amy have ever really been implied to have a love of adventure in any capacity it shouldn't be any surprise I latch onto that and want to see more of it. After all, I come to Sonic for adventure and seeing amazing and awe inspiring locales on those adventures. When I want heavy combat and power level nonsense I'll satisfy that need with Dragon Ball or some other fight oriented show. Sonic appeals to my wanderlust and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

It's seems a lot of Amy fans want her to be a mary sue based on these comments. Since when did Amy love adventure as much as Sonic 

It came seem that way at times. Not that you're a stranger to that yourself.

is strong enough to hold her own against Eggman armies without help?

This is sort of an exaggeration/meme borne from stuff like Sonic X.

• Absolutely 1

Do you even know what a Mary Sue is?

Personally, I just want what the fans of any other character wants: to see the character shine in her own right and to be used when the opportunity shows up. No more, no less.

As for when did Amy display love for adventuring, it's right there at the beginning of her story in SA1. Even in one of the conversations with her in the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed, she mentions wanting to go adventuring with Sonic the same way he goes with Tails and Chip.

Regarding the second point: whenever she is playable, as well as the comics and cartoons. You know, like pretty much everyone else. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm starting to think that Dash Speed is a troll. They are saying obviously incorrect information and everything they say ends up starting an argument. So, why bother arguing?

• Fist Bump 1

So when's that thing with Whisper supposed to come out?

20 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm starting to think that Dash Speed is a troll. They are saying obviously incorrect information and everything they say ends up starting an argument. So, why bother arguing?

I don't think he's a troll, as he's been consistent enough. 

I just think he's super biased and opinionated, to the extent that he'll praises a specific portrayal of Shadow(and sometimes Rouge) and dismiss most other stuff.

9 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Fanart of 2 Doctors Created by Finimun

1551573102.finimun_2019-2-24-alexlsm.png

I almost thought that was a new issue cover for a second.