Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

How, Sonic barely listens to her and runs when enraged. Shadow........would just break her neck if he viewed her threating him or trying to intimidate him.  I don't think Sonic or Shadow would want to fight her, she's tends to be played as a joke.

...Dude do you realize you make Shadow sound like a dick and an absolutely terrible character? I don't want to follow the continuing Adventures of a Psychopath. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Why is there a Knuckles in the background?

That's Finitevus, an Archie Sonic character

• Thumbs Up 2

So as per usual, coming into this thread somewhat late as my subscription of #13 and #14 just arrived today.. Apologies if what I've talked about has already been covered in the last 25 pages I've missed.

As someone who has been fairly positive about the IDW run so far, I must admit I think #13 was a bit of a disappointment. Really, it's several things that drag it down for me. I think the biggest issue to me is that what winds up being accomplished is that Sonic and crew learn that Dr. Eggman is back and teamed up with Rough and Tumble... which the audience already knows, meaning that #13 is just Sonic catching up on the plot, rather than giving the audience any new information, aside from the introduction of the new metal virus.

Other minor problems, I don't think Rough and Tumble's second major appearance really adds much to them. Despite their enhancements, they still feel like ineffectual villians. Worked the first time round in #3 when they were just being bullies to a town, but the second time as they work for the big bad I think they should be more menacing to highten the stakes, but instead it just comes across as a filler battle. Nothing interesting about the battle either, it just takes place on the outskirts of a generic town, with only the windmill being used in the battle.

Tails is the token secondary character for Sonic this issue, but he doesn't really get to stand out in any way, the only notable bit for him was the little panel of him doing algebra as he calculated the trajectory of the barrel. I also must admit I think Thomas is my least favourite of the IDW pencillers so far. His artwork is far from bad, he just happens to be my least favourite and I'm not a fan of how he does a lot of character faces.

I should stress I don't dislike #13. It's just to me, with the high quality the IDW run has given us so far (to me anyway), I think #13 just feels a bit plodding and unneccesary. I honestly think you could go from issue #12, skip #13 to #14 and you really wouldn't miss *that* much. I do like Dr Starline actually here with Eggman, I find him a very interesting character. At the risk of being blasphemous, I'm not really much of a Dr Eggman fan. I like him in as much as I like Sonic, in that they tend to pave the way for interesting scenarios, locations, and characters in plots. I like Eggman more as a force to oppose Sonic and friends, but don't care that much for him as a character, purely down to my own preferences.

A bit of a wet start for me since this is the start of "season two" of IDW Sonic. My least favourite issue of IDW Sonic aside from the TSR One Shot.

#14 is definetly stronger, even if it does have some shortcomings. I think #14 benefits though from having Silver being this issue's ally, and feels far more properly utilised than Tails was in #13, with his earnest goofiness on full display here as well as his powers being used in contrast with Dr Starline's teleport power. The setting of the Arctic makes for an interesting battlefield, and actually is even a minor plot point as Starline wanted to fight Sonic because he figured he would have worse traction. And ofcourse, it is a Yardley issue, who can do near no wrong in my eyes.

Certainly, to me, Dr Starline is the, pun intended, star of the issue. I like his design, I like the way he thinks, and I actually like the way that he feels like a reflection of Eggman, as well as being a fanboy. I like the fact that he nearly won by outsmarting Sonic and Silver, which winds up hospitalising Silver. Certainly my hope for Dr Starline is that he becomes his own villian free of Eggman after this storyline wraps up, which I think is bound to happen, it seems like the seeds of discontent are being sown.

Really the only problem is the IDW formula so far. Issues #1-#4, #8, #13 and #14 all relatively follow the same sortof formula. Sonic + [Insert 1 or 2 allies here] fight [Badnik/henchmen] in action sequence. It does feel a little repetitive, and I was sortof hoping after season 1's focus on introducing the main cast of game characters into the comic, we'd see more interesting teams of characters, with a little less focus on Sonic himself. It doesn't feel like anyone aside from Sonic and Knuckles have had any real personal motivation in this comic, with the way side characters fade in and out at will. One of the reasons why I'm looking forward to the annual and the Tangle and Whisper miniseries, and my perptual hope that we will eventually get a second Sonic book running, hopefully in the same vein as Sonic Universe.

I am hopeful for things to get more interesting in future from what we know of issues #15-#17, with some higher stakes, and Sonic not being as much as the center of the universe for everything.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

...Dude do you realize you make Shadow sound like a dick and an absolutely terrible character? I don't want to follow the continuing Adventures of a Psychopath. 

He meant hypothetically, if the two were to fight to the death 

2 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

I think that was meant to be a joke, since all Penders echidnas are Knuckle clones (even though Fini was created by Bollers, but whatev)

• Chuckle 1

I agree that Amy loves adventure. Heck, it's derivative from her love for Sonic (or other way around). She was a normal 'civil' girl, playing with tarot cards (so obviously wanting something more that that normal boring life) and  then BAM, robots, time-travel, action. And all thanks to that wonderful blue hedgehog.

Skills: It's pretty obviously SA1 Amy was barely capable of defending herself and didn't improved too much over 06/Riders 1 (also see Sonic X). By now she's can at least keep up with the main trio, if not being a on equal foot with Tails (as ironic that statement is after Forces). I mean, games and Flynn will treat her as such anyway, why not just assume those Boxercise lessons finally paid off?
(With that said, in Advance 2 Cream who never was on adventure before, can take down Eggman. So in my head either Sonic beat those games alone, or everyone did it together. In Heroes Amy has a lot of help and goes through easy route. In Battle she has no significant victories, mostly with help from Emerl.)

Personality : I think she's  "girl" sub-stereotype 3: "a jack of all trades",  like Katara (Avatar) or most modern Disney princesses. She's feminine, but doesn't mind a going rough. She's emphatic and gentle, but has a temper. She loves adventure, but has more sense than the boys and is willing to take desk job, cause he knows somebody has to do it. Sub-stereotype 1 is "girly girl" pink, dresses and bunnies, and 2 is "girl power" smarter and better than boys in everyway,. That's why I stress that her love for Sonic is what makes her unique. It shouldn't be her only feature, but defining one.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Fanart of 2 Doctors Created by Finimun

1551573102.finimun_2019-2-24-alexlsm.png

Cool freaking fanart, love how Starline looks

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I agree that Amy loves adventure. Heck, it's derivative from her love for Sonic (or other way around). She was a normal 'civil' girl, playing with tarot cards (so obviously wanting something more that that normal boring life) and  then BAM, robots, time-travel, action. And all thanks to that wonderful blue hedgehog.

Skills: .

12 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Why is there a Knuckles in the background?

10 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

(With that said, in Advance 2 Cream who never was on adventure before, can take down Eggman. So in my head either Sonic beat those games alone, or everyone did it together. In Heroes Amy has a lot of help and goes through easy route. In Battle she has no significant victories, mostly with help from Emerl.)

Personality : I think she's  "girl" sub-stereotype 3: "a jack of all trades",  like Katara (Avatar) or most modern Disney princesses. She's feminine, but doesn't mind a going rough. She's emphatic and gentle, but has a temper. She loves adventure, but has more sense than the boys and is willing to take desk job, cause he knows somebody has to do it. Sub-stereotype 1 is "girly girl" pink, dresses and bunnies, and 2 is "girl power" smarter and better than boys in everyway,. That's why I stress that her love for Sonic is what makes her unique. It shouldn't be her only feature, but defining one.

Pretty much.

14 hours ago, SBR2 said:

While I agree about dash speed doing that in general. I think this is just a death battle hypothetical. I mean his statement is still weird in the sense to suggest shadow would break her neck for talking back to him... and that statement in itself has a whole host of other issues in it. but I think  and hope , he was talking about a hypothetical death battle situation

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

While I agree about dash speed doing that in general. I think this is just a death battle hypothetical. I mean his statement is still weird in the sense to suggest shadow would break her neck for talking back to him... and that statement in itself has a whole host of other issues in it. but I think  and hope , he was talking about a hypothetical death battle situation

It sounds more like he thinks Shadow would kill at the smallest thing to me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry for deviating from the topic at hand, but how about we make some hypotheticals, as we think up our own story arcs for future issues of IDW Sonic! What are some story arcs that you would love to see the comic tackle? In what location, with what characters (maybe even new characters)? I'd love to see what you could all come up with!

8 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Sorry for deviating from the topic at hand, but how about we make some hypotheticals, as we think up our own story arcs for future issues of IDW Sonic! What are some story arcs that you would love to see the comic tackle? In what location, with what characters (maybe even new characters)? I'd love to see what you could all come up with!

I'd love some kind of Treasure Team Tango like story where several groups are battling against each other for a Chaos Emerald. But instead of the groups you'd typically expect, maybe mix it up so we get more unique situations.

For example, what if we had something like Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze working together to secure the emerald because each of their goals align in trying to keep the emerald away from misuse. Then it turns out Shadow is working directly against Rouge who wants the jewel for her own personal collection. Rouge, Cream, and Amy would be another fun match-up, I could see Amy/Rouge coming to blows because Rouge would try manipulate Cream into doing things to get them closer to the emerald, whilst Amy is trying to keep Cream out of danger.

I'd also like to see Sonic and Eggman teaming up. It's a concept done well before, but I'd love for someone to forcefully take control of Eggman's empire, and prove to be an even bigger threat, forcing Eggman to become a resistance mechanic for the time being. Basically a better done Sonic Lost World.

6 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Probably wanna spoiler em, in case Mr. Flynn decides to float by here on his rounds.

56 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

It sounds more like he thinks Shadow would kill at the smallest thing to me. 

It kind of does, but i'm looking at it was a response to. And am choosing to interpret it as " this guy could easily beat up this other person " . Now that said, if that was his intent that ' shadow would just kill anyone" your original assessment is right it does make shadow sound like a much worse character than he actually is and all types of an unrepentant asshole. I just don't think its what he meant, in this scenario

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Shadow is naturally a semi sociopathic hero that will do anything for the mission, including crossing the line and showing no remorse to anyone when taking on objectives that he want to achieve.

He's a anti hero, and Amy is a person who wouldn't be exempt in being "delt" with if she poses a threat or risks her life trying to make trouble with him without a care.

15 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Skills: It's pretty obviously SA1 Amy was barely capable of defending herself and didn't improved too much over 06/Riders 1 (also see Sonic X). By now she's can at least keep up with the main trio, if not being a on equal foot with Tails (as ironic that statement is after Forces). I mean, games and Flynn will treat her as such anyway, why not just assume those Boxercise lessons finally paid off?

What? Please. She's more childish than Sonic and bout as hyper as Charmy. Cream is more mature and that's saying something.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow is naturally a semi sociopathic hero that will do anything for the mission, including crossing the line and showing no remorse to anyone when taking on objectives that he want to achieve.

He's a anti hero, and Amy is a person who wouldn't be exempt in being "delt" with if she poses a threat or risks her life trying to make trouble with him without a care.

You don't know anything about Shadow the Hedgehog lol

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Absolutely 2

Shadow The Hedgehog: He's a hard boiled, cold blooded killer who doesn't play by the rules. Except for when he does.

Shadow The Hedgehog: He'll take out anyone in his way by any means if it results in saving the day. It's kill or do the killing.

Shadow The Hedgehog: Anti Hero, his morals and beliefs are without question firmly set in stone, that no one can change him.

Something, Something, Something...understands the character.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

23 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Sonic Advance

23 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Apparently Amy liking adventure and liking Sonic at the same time and beating Eggbutt would make her a Mary Sue.

It's not like she hasn't been doing that since Sonic Heroes or Advance.

(What even)

Non cannon. Amy is usually helpless again a full garrison of Eggman robots without the boys or her team. I mean, you aren't gonna see her face a Eggman boss that's as powerful as the death egg robot or as fast as the egg falcon.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Shadow The Hedgehog: He's a hard boiled, cold blooded killer who doesn't play by the rules. Except for when he does.

Shadow The Hedgehog: He'll take out anyone in his way by any means if it results in saving the day. It's kill or do the killing.

Shadow The Hedgehog: Anti Hero, his morals and beliefs are without question firmly set in stone, that no one can change him.

Something, Something, Something...understands the character.

Have you played his game?

14 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You don't know anything about Shadow the Hedgehog lol

It's not even interesting to see why you think this way, his own game explains why he is the way he is as a character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Truth.

There's not a cannon to be found, I don't see what that has to do with anything though.

Truth.

Amy isn't usually anything, she either is or isn't capable...depending on what the story needs.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Have you played his game?

Ah, yeah! You mean that game where all ten endings are non-canon, and the only canon ending is Shadow being a hero, and saving the entire planet from a parasitic alien race who would've drained the life out of every living being on Earth.

Because that deed equals "totally willing to snap the neck of a teenage girl who made him a bit annoyed". 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 2

29 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Yeah, good thing something like this will never happen under Ian’s watch, because that’s not how he’s gonna write Shadow or Amy. Shadow works better with far more sympathy than that.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Amy is usually helpless again a full garrison of Eggman robots without the boys or her team.

And what are you basing this on, exactly? Amy's far from being one of the strongest characters in the series, but a lot of Eggman's robots are chumps, and she has a big hammer. It's not as if she had any trouble smashing robots in SA.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Ah, yeah! You mean that game where all ten endings are non-canon, and the only canon ending is Shadow being a hero, and saving the entire planet from a parasitic alien race who would've drained the life out of every living being on Earth.

Because that deed equals "totally willing to snap the neck of a teenage girl who made him a bit miff". 

The endings explore the different sides of Shadow as a whole too in currently depective way, it totally reflects him as a complex character that deals with specific situations that depend on future games. Hes a multifaced anti hero who act as anything He can imo be for the plot Based on the endings such Shadow is a ruthless master of destruction in one instance, he's a law seeking defender in another, he's a lone wolf with a passive indifference in morals in another, a grumpy yet cooperative solider who only resorts to killing rarely.

This fits how he's basically something new every game without being so inconsistant from his character development, Shadow is simply a character that changes to fit the appropriate type of sonic story with him playing the anti hero foil, which is how he goes from working with Sonic and even being kind to him to being one of Sonics greatest threats and jerks with a cruel competitive streak each new title.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

17 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Non cannon.

How is the Advance Trilogy non-canon?

Sonic Pocket Adventure is more debatable, but the Advance Series is definitely tied to the mainline games.

20 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Amy is usually helpless again a full garrison of Eggman robots

Yet she still manages to escape Zero 3 times and eventually defeat him without help.

Not to to mention other feats she's accomplished, like helping Shadow to remember Maria's promise.

• Thumbs Up 2