Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

25 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Yeah, good thing something like this will never happen under Ian’s watch, because that’s not how he’s gonna write Shadow or Amy. Shadow works better with far more sympathy than that.

Shadow Being a dark character who may resort to killing Amy or Sonic to achieve a goal, doesn't mean that he isn't going to stop being sympathetic. Do you know how many times Wolverine and Deadpool tried to kill Spiderman and Captain America, but had genuine reasons to empathsize their plots behind it?

Do you not like anti heroes? Shadow being one of the few characters that cam become friend or for as a rival for sonic and his crew makes him stand out more. No black and white or honor, just pure grey.

7 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

How is the Advance Trilogy non-canon?

Sonic Pocket Adventure is more debatable, but the Advance Series is definitely tied to the mainline games.

Cause it's plots don't involve humans or GUN as a in story piece of cannon, it's modeled like a re modeled here in of classic sonic games.

7 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Yet she still manages to escape Zero 3 times and eventually defeat him without help.

Zero is slow and pretty pathetic compared to Eggmans other inventions. I

• Thumbs Up 1

Starline's boots remind me of Infinite. I wonder if there is some connection between the two?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow Being a dark character who may resort to killing Amy or Sonic to achieve a goal, doesn't mean that he isn't going to stop being sympathetic. Do you know how many times Wolverine and Deadpool tried to kill Spiderman and Captain America, but had genuine reasons to empathsize their plots behind it?

Except you’ve been describing Shadow as nothing like that.

You’ve been making him sound far more similar and bloodthirsty to the likes of Venom or Carnage with a more hair-tigger temper trying to keep people in line than that. 

Do you not like anti heroes? Shadow being one of the few characters that cam become friend or for as a rival for sonic and his crew makes him stand out more. No black and white or honor, just pure grey.

Far from it. Anti-heroes are my favorite alongside Anti-villians, with Shadow being among them.

But I like them for more than being living killing machines and one-man armies that you focus most of your appeal on.

9 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Cause it's plots don't involve humans or GUN as a in story piece of cannon, it's modeled like a re modeled here in of classic sonic games.

Well, due to the "2 Worlds", it wouldn't matter if the story had humans or GUN.

Also, by that logic, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Colors, Sonic Lost World, and even Sonic Forces are not canon, despite being mainline titles.

10 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

Zero is slow and pretty pathetic compared to Eggmans other inventions.

The E-100 Series aren't exactly easy to destroy. There's a reason Omega is still around.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow is naturally a semi sociopathic hero that will do anything for the mission, including crossing the line and showing no remorse to anyone when taking on objectives that he want to achieve.

He's a anti hero, and Amy is a person who wouldn't be exempt in being "delt" with if she poses a threat or risks her life trying to make trouble with him without a care.

What? Please. She's more childish than Sonic and bout as hyper as Charmy. Cream is more mature and that's saying something.

I gave you the benefit  of the doubt man.Seems as though I was wrong.

Ok Shadow is not sociopathic by any means. His actions often serve the benefits of others not just himself to the degree in which he is just about the only character who is regularly willing to sacrifice his own life to protect others. Along with that, yes he is an " Anti -hero " but that's relative. He's an anti hero compared to colorful lively children who are kind of go by the flow. But in reality he probably has the strongest moral character out of the entire cast. Shadow doesn't break out the kill card for just anyone, the kill card for shadow is designated for Two very specific reasons

• Shadow feels an extreme wrong has been committed and this is the only means to make it right
  • Shadow feels like more problem could be solved with person/thing dead.

Now there's a third " They happened to do die " reason, but that happens with everyone, and to suggest that is intent on the characters part, would be disingenuous at best. To give examples of those two things. Example one would be his original appearance, where shadow wanted to destroy the entire planet out of revenge. Manipulated memories aside, he felt like maria and the people on the arc were owed revenge for what happened to them. Example two, a good example would be eclipse. Shadow has no inherent beef with black arms. If peaceful black arms genuinely showed that they were peaceful he would probably live and let live... heck knowing that things he saw as monsters... or beings so high up they view people as cattle, seeing them live peacefully would most likely make shadow feel more confident about himself and his own insecurities. My point is shadow don't kill for no reason. He's not gonna go " Oh rouge, you ate the of my oreos. Time to die "

Now, if a character lets say amy. Became so diabolically evil that shadow felt like killing them was the only option, he would do it. But not before then, he knows amy. He likes amy to some degree, there's no threat that she could pose outside of that very extreme scenario that would make shadow go " Time to die " .

I mentioned this before, but you don't like shadow. You like very made up, vegeta-ey version of shadow that isn't real. Shadow isn't some secret softie as some make him out to be, but he's not the completely antisocial psychotic hard ass you try to make him out to be. And he wouldn't be an interesting character if he was. @Wraith Was right... you don't know who shadow is.

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

You don't know anything about Shadow the Hedgehog lol

I think he just wants for Shadow to be Vegeta back when he was both evil and an asshole... Essentially, Boom TV Shadow, which is just a betrayal to what the main game's Shadow is.

2 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow is naturally a semi sociopathic hero that will do anything for the mission, including crossing the line and showing no remorse to anyone when taking on objectives that he want to achieve.

Sociopathic is a way too strong word, man.

Pragmatic is accurate.

2 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

What? Please. She's more childish than Sonic and bout as hyper as Charmy. Cream is more mature and that's saying something.

...You're not wrong...?

I mean, to say Cream is more rational would be more apropos, but whatever.

Non cannon.

Yeah sure, why not. That totally makes sense.

Mind, I haven't played/seen much of that one.

as fast as the egg falcon.

Uh, which one now?

Have you played his game?

You mean the game where he was trying to figure out who he is and what he's meant to do by whatever convenience? Yes, I still have it actually.

...Oh, you weren't talking to me.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Yeah, good thing something like this will never happen under Ian’s watch, because that’s not how he’s gonna write Shadow or Amy. Shadow works better with far more sympathy than that.

Even he wanted it to. For whatever reason.

The endings explore the different sides of Shadow as a whole too in currently depective way, it totally reflects him as a complex character that deals with specific situations that depend on future games. Hes a multifaced anti hero who act as anything He can imo be for the plot Based on the endings such Shadow is a ruthless master of destruction in one instance, he's a law seeking defender in another, he's a lone wolf with a passive indifference in morals in another, a grumpy yet cooperative solider who only resorts to killing rarely.

And he's a confused creature who seriously thinks he's a robot in another.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Starline's boots remind me of Infinite. I wonder if there is some connection between the two?

Oh shoot, now I can't unsee that. I think it's actually based on a different pair of shoes from the Avatar, but still.

The answer is no, btw.

58 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

I think he just wants for Shadow to be Vegeta back when he was both evil and an asshole... Essentially, Boom TV Shadow, which is just a betrayal to what the main game's Shadow is.

And/or Shadow without the baggage and "baggage."

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Sorry for deviating from the topic at hand, but how about we make some hypotheticals, as we think up our own story arcs for future issues of IDW Sonic! What are some story arcs that you would love to see the comic tackle? In what location, with what characters (maybe even new characters)? I'd love to see what you could all come up with!

I'd like a story to happen in the Sol Dimension. Maybe we can see characters explore different islands! (Aside from the ones seen in SRA maybe)

2 hours ago, Myst said:

Considering the fact that Infinite is off limits in the comic (for some reason) I don't think there's a connection anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

It's not even interesting to see why you think this way, his own game explains why he is the way he is as a character.

"You just don't get it man. Clearly I don't have to engage with you because you just don't get it".

You are so far up your own ass that it's both sad and hilarious. I didn't think there were people still like this, but here we are.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

He's a anti hero, and Amy is a person who wouldn't be exempt in being "delt" with if she poses a threat or risks her life trying to make trouble with him without a care.

Ok do you seriously not understand how your interpretation of Shadow makes him sound really really unappealing? That's not an Anti-Hero that's a dangerous psychotic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Ok do you seriously not understand how your interpretation of Shadow makes him sound really really unappealing? That's not an Anti-Hero that's a dangerous psychotic. 

Some people just like needlessly violent characters I guess. And I mean needlessly in multiple ways

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

And/or Shadow without the baggage and "baggage."

side note: I wouldn't even call boom shadow with out the baggage. Boom Shadow is , is supposed to be like the old shadow. So he still has the baggage, but in lore doesn't. So its like psudo baggage. Like the psuedo baggage is why he's bad. If he legit had no baggage and was a different guy he would have been better. Weird side tangent. Sorry!

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Some people just like needlessly violent characters I guess. And I mean needlessly in multiple ways

side note: I wouldn't even call boom shadow with out the baggage. Boom Shadow is , is supposed to be like the old shadow. So he still has the baggage, but in lore doesn't. So its like psudo baggage. Like the psuedo baggage is why he's bad. If he legit had no baggage and was a different guy he would have been better. Weird side tangent. Sorry!

Phantom Baggage: something that supposedly weighs you down but kinda doesn’t because you don’t know if it’s really a thing or a figment of your imagination.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Phantom Baggage: something that supposedly weighs you down but kinda doesn’t because you don’t know if it’s really a thing or a figment of your imagination.

Extra Dimensional Baggage?

Schrodinger's Baggage?

I swear, one day this forum will learn not to humor Dash Speed's comments.

5 hours ago, Myst said:

Obviously Starline is Infinite's long lost twin brother, harnessing loathe towards Eggman, Sonic and people who make Halloween masks, setting in motion 25-step plan of revenge that will include collecting Chaos Emeralds,  Sol Emeralds, Secret Rings, and hermit crabs from Sonic Heroes.

That or they have similar fashion taste.

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy would have to do something FOUL for shadow to be anything more than annoyed with her, and she ain't that type of girl.

I think rouge has more potential of bringing some animosity in shadow, but that's more so because she's actually friends with him. And he would depending on the situation view that as a betrayal. So not only is amy not the type of girl to do that, amy isn't friends enough with shadow to even cause something like that.

I think the worst thing amy to shadow was like " He's not sonic but he'll do in a pinch " which in retrospect... isn't a really nice thing to say. And a bit less nice considering her is kind of doing you a solid. But that's less on amy and more on flynn. Flynn is uh fond of leaving some of his stories on jokes. Like the story where knuckles comes out about his insecurities and it had to be left on sonic saying " he only teases him because he's his friend " or whatever. Like... why did that story need to end there, why did it even need to end on sonic. Sometimes stories should have nice endings and leave it there, and flynn always like to get last words in.

But i'm rambling point is, The shadow Amy fight, a serious one , would have to bee over something wild

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

True. 

I think they wanted a Shadow at the bare root of what made his character and thus in addition to mostly dropping the back story, they also drop most of his moral complications so he could just be Sonic's Dark Rival to the max. 

Which is also essentially a villain, minus supposedly having some sort of code. 

So can we please stop engaging Dash Speed whenever he rants? Kind of tired of always talking about Shadow how much Sonic sucks.

Anyway; having read the issue...yes, feelings haven't really changed much. I didn't dislike it...but nothing significant really happened either. Had a good character moment from Eggman but...I'm kind of tired of that being the only praise I can give.

I'm tempted to just drop the series until something significant happens, because I really have no other comments beyond "Yup, that was a good issue". 

It's not like I want anything major either, but I feel the book is just "alright" at best and "boring" at worst right now.

• Too Many Rings 1

I liked the issue. I'm loving how this story is building up so far. I really don't get where "It's Boring" is coming from. I'm having a blast.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

13 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I liked the issue. I'm loving how this story is building up so far. I really don't get where "It's Boring" is coming from. I'm having a blast.

It's coming from the fact that there isn't as much happening plot-wise, on top of the continued formula from Year 1.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think anyone hating on the book wants to hate the book. There was a point where you could hold up the comics as the thing that despite some issues had something consistently good coming out of a sonic property. And while it isn't necessarily bad... its uninteresting. Nothing is really going on, the character interactions aren't really that great. The stories go by at a breakneck pace, and nothing feel like it means anything outside of right now a few story threads. But even then, if its gonna take so long to get to em, will we or audiences in general even care when you do.

19 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think anyone hating on the book wants to hate the book. There was a point where you could hold up the comics as the thing that despite some issues had something consistently good coming out of a sonic property. And while it isn't necessarily bad... its uninteresting. Nothing is really going on, the character interactions aren't really that great. The stories go by at a breakneck pace, and nothing feel like it means anything outside of right now a few story threads. But even then, if its gonna take so long to get to em, will we or audiences in general even care when you do.

That ^

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not like I said its bad people lol. I like the art, and think the dialogue is serviceable. But I've been saying that since the beginning lol. Things aren't really different from the first few issues aside from the hero of the day Sonic teams with and the villain of the day he fights.

There's no real plot threads, or major character motivations driving the plot right now. I know we're building up to wherever Eggman unleashes this virus and that's definitely the most interesting plot thread so far, but Sonic's side of the conflict is so dreadfully dull by comparison.

Yeah there isn't much story. Still, a good point that has been brought up is that they are building it and it's gonna grow during the year, not immediately, for example I was waiting for Sonic to get infected in this issue and Starline's origin to be revealed, I don't doubt all of those things are coming in season 2, maybe I wouldn't use those cards just yet if I was writing the comic.

Also, the formula… I repeat, it's not the characters, we have had 8 in this issue, that's not the problem, the problem is "Sonic and friend go on a mission and fight badnik/Eggman's lackeys" that is repetitive, throw in something else, something original.

This issue felt like an entertaining filler, story didn't progress but they faced Starline and surprisingly, he won.

I'm just saying I find the book a joy. It feels like the Sonic I love. There's a good sense of adventure and humor to it. I was so burnt out on the garbage love triangles and stuff from Pre-Reboot Archie and this is continuing the stuff I was loving from Post-Reboot Archie. Stuff that actually feels like a Sonic story.

Sure the plots taking its time but the "there's not much" feels kinda inaccurate to me. We've had the Metal Virus getting it's start and Sonic coming to grips with the fact Eggman is actually back. It's not a particularly heavy story no but it's engaging enough IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1