Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Never really cared about the comics until the IDW reboot just because I wanted to see what the fuss was about regarding the comics especially since the games have been lacking in the story department for nearly a decade.

I know several people find the comic uninteresting, but a common suggestion has been to focus on shorter, more self-contained stories. Is there a reason why the comics can't be this way? I understand people like their loads of world building and epic story arcs that we got back in Archie, but if the mandates are making it difficult to write the comic this way then why continue? Champions and Treasure Team Tango were examples of this and people loved it, why can't the majority of the comic be this way?

58 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Never really cared about the comics until the IDW reboot just because I wanted to see what the fuss was about regarding the comics especially since the games have been lacking in the story department for nearly a decade.

I know several people find the comic uninteresting, but a common suggestion has been to focus on shorter, more self-contained stories. Is there a reason why the comics can't be this way? I understand people like their loads of world building and epic story arcs that we got back in Archie, but if the mandates are making it difficult to write the comic this way then why continue? Champions and Treasure Team Tango were examples of this and people loved it, why can't the majority of the comic be this way?

I really like the idea of self contained stories, since not everything has to be about some grand plot to save the world. It would be nice if after a larger arc, the narrative took a break and had the characters be the ones in charge instead of the plot for a few issues before the next major story arc begins.

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Nobody said that. 

I'm honestly sorry if I came off like I was saying that. 

I'm just saying there were comics that were so much worse than IDW and yes I know "It could be worse" isn't a strong argument but as I'm rereading the Archie comic right now I just can't bring myself to gripe about what honestly feels like nitpicksat best. Because when Archie Sonic was bad it was baaaad. So I'm just saying I'll take boring and too Segay or whatever over that any day. 

16 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

I really like the idea of self contained stories, since not everything has to be about some grand plot to save the world. It would be nice if after a larger arc, the narrative took a break and had the characters be the ones in charge instead of the plot for a few issues before the next major story arc begins.

I think several complaints I have seen in the thread would be resolved if the comic focused more on these types of story arcs.

1. It would be easy to explore the world since arcs could focus on a location or an aspect of the world, since the arc is self-contained there is an urgency to actually explore and explain these aspects as after the arc is done it won't be seen for a while.

2. It gives an easy way to explore several new characters and give them depth without the fear of them overshadowing the existing cast, provided you keep them tied to story arcs and not have them be full on regularly recurring characters. Since a character may not be seen for long after a story arc, we need to know all the basics about them in a short amount of time.

3. It allows the comic the flexibility of trying new ideas while still staying tied to the games. If comic specific locations and characters usually remain tied to story arcs, then it will always feel recognizable to those who play the games because those characters and locations are the most recurring elements. The series is written this way, so I think SEGA may be happy that the comics follow suit. Perhaps the mandates would be less of an issue and possibly lead to SEGA reducing them as well if the comic was written in the same vein as their other material.

4. It allows the comic to try more experimental ideas because if an idea doesn't work out it isn't that long before a new idea can be tried out.

I would pretty much be good with shorter arcs as well due to pretty much most of the above given reasons as well as those given in my last post. The only thing I would say for a fact that I wouldn't want coming out of this are uniform issue counts for arcs. If one arc needs only 2 issues and another needs 7 don't force them both to be 5 for the sake of rather unnecessary uniformity. Tell the story in the amount of time it takes to tell the story as that results in the best pacing and the highest quality version of the story.

Just now, Sonic Fan J said:

I would pretty much be good with shorter arcs as well due to pretty much most of the above given reasons as well as those given in my last post. The only thing I would say for a fact that I wouldn't want coming out of this are uniform issue counts for arcs. If one arc needs only 2 issues and another needs 7 don't force them both to be 5 for the sake of rather unnecessary uniformity. Tell the story in the amount of time it takes to tell the story as that results in the best pacing and the highest quality version of the story.

Uniform arcs are already a problem. I think it would be better to set a maximum limit of 8 issues for an arc. There are very very few Sonic stories that require more than 8 comic issues to tell their stories, and yet Ian Flynn seems to want yearly arcs to be the norm.

In general most arcs should be 2-6 issues.

23 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I also have a question.

Why is it constantly necessary to bring up anything from Preboot Archie at any point in this current time?

Most people here seem to auto agree that this run is better, so what's the point?

To have something immediate to argue against.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

To have something immediate to argue against.

Yeah pretty much. I mean I'm trying to make my point so having a point of comparison kinda helps to argue my point. 

One thing with the arcs might simply to be with rereleasing them for the trade. Since they are releasing each volume with 4 issues each, I'm not sure if that factors into it.

I dunno, I kindof agree on some fronts about not needing a 12 issue storyline each year. The thing about early Archie was that so many of their villians and characters were introduced in a story that was just for 1 or 2 issues. Evil Sonic and his whole evil dimension was introduced in 1 story, with Evil Sonic and co tending to appear in 1-2 issue stories before Flynn did his bigger Moebius plot when they tried to invade Mobius. Monkey Khan and all his associate stuff was only ever really shown over 3 or 4 seperate issues before the massive 16 issue Iron Dominion story happened.

I think it would be a good idea to perhaps have a couple of individual issues just so more stuff is introduced, even if in a very shallow way. I don't really see why the metal virus storyline had to happen immedietly after the Metal Sonic one has just ended. Maybe say have #13 Sonic + ally take on a new villian, while #14, Amy sends Sonic to plot device city to try and get them to join the Restoration but they refuse because they have their own society. Basic stuff to try and give the world a bit of depth, and maybe in the future perhaps can be returned to for a future story.

I do think that if we do get a second book running, be it a Tangle and Whisper book or a Sonic Universe-esque book, I definetly wouldn't mind seeing more 1-2 issue stories. If the main book is going to effectively be serialised, I think the second book going for a more episodic approach would help compliment it.

I do believe we might be getting a Second book running in the future, as Sonic Universe did very well. It also would provide character-stories (outside of Sonic pov)

Also woa, Tracey Y, has improved so much. I followed his work when hé joined Archie in 2006 and his recent work for IDW is Just amazing.

I think we will be definitely seeing shorter or longer arcs, Ian doesn't repeat the same formula over and over. But some things will last 12 issues.

Anyway, my ideas on how I would do the current storyline, and yes they involve death and bleak:

- What if Silver died in the explosion? Would have been a much better payoff to raise the stakes, then the conflict would have been more personal, and... since Silver comes from this future, the loophole would simply be have them fix this future so it never happens and Silver would return.

- I'd also kill one of the Skunk bros. so the other one would have a real motive for revenge, maybe when they are roboticized/infected, it'd be much easier to kill one of them.

- Have Sonic turn completely metallic, and then Amy and Knuckles lead an army to fight him.

- Sticks should show up, having survived the infection, she and Tails could come up with the cure, mostly Tails with his genius, and then Sticks could help spreading the cure.

- Also, I'd really make Tangle and Whisper a thing, since their personalities mesh so well, they are polar opposites and I would be interested in that... I know, shipping but whatever. Also give Tangle a backstory and explore her but not in a tragic way, a more simple but deep way.

These are my weird ideas, feel free to criticize them and let me know what you think.

19 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Personally I still say I'll take "Boring Adventures" over shitty love triangles, Overpowerd God Knuckles, Boring fucking Echidna's and Politics. This is why I preferred the Post-Reboot stuff and why I prefer IDW it's simple. It's fun there's a decent flow and it's not up it's own ass trying to prove it's more mature than the games.

This is what I was wanting just Sonic and his friends smashing robots and stopping the newest evil scheme with some fun character dynamics. But I've made it clear before I really don't xcare about the deep lore or want to Sonic's character assassinated by having him bawl like a baby because Eggman beat him because that's not Sonic. Sonic is a high adventure thrill ride and IMHO the book is delivering on that. It's not the deepest thing but it's Sonic for crying out loud.

Justifying the bland writing we have now with stuff made ages ago by writers who don't even work for the book anymore it's extremely unfair : it's like you WANT the Archie Sonic to be hated so that nobody will bother you for liking IDW. Newsflash : people still like Archie Sonic, both pre or post reboot and they have all the right to like them. You want a game : play the games. A comic should be different. And IDW Sonic is literally the same as God Knuckles, since he cannot loose or show much human emotion. 

I just want the freedom fighters back, all of them... and no that so called "Bunnie cameo" doesnt count

Love them or hate them they were in Archie for its entire run and are a legacy that cannot be ignored

I really dont care if they are "non cannon" or not in the games, they had a fan base dammit

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

- I'd also kill one of the Skunk bros. so the other one would have a real motive for revenge, maybe when they are roboticized/infected, it'd be much easier to kill one of them.

That sounds like a terrible idea. I like Rough and Tumble!

2 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I just want the freedom fighters back, all of them... and no that so called "Bunnie cameo" doesnt count

Love them or hate them they were in Archie for its entire run and are a legacy that cannot be ignored

I'd rather IDW was its own thing and not Archie 2.0.

3 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Well if only for an arc at least, so we fans of them can have a proper send off.

Archie sonic just ended, no resolution no nothing.

5 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It's not really it's own thing if it's just the game 2.0

2 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

My favorite characters didn't get a proper sendoff, so why should yours?

What characters and why do you make it all about you now? 

6 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

This is a different book though, it's not 1:1 with the games and not another Archie book so why add the Freedom Fighters here?

Again its called legacy, and they are still beloved by fans you know.

I just want an arc or a cameo of all of them in the same issue, not asking for a takeover.

I mean why not make a mini arc with them?

Because they are not in the games? thats a lame excuse as Ian is pushing his characters.

I just want an arc to say goodbye that is all, they can make cameos too I would be happy with that.

We're back to mourning FF again?

Look people, it's a cold logic. IDW could
1 Try to recreate Archie as closely as possible, but without 300+ issues of baggage just come out as inferior (plus repetitive after Archie Reboot), thus loosing part of old audience and attracting fewer new ones.
2 Go with "game world", most logical route, yet not taken so far by any Sonic comic or cartoon, thus attracting widest audience possible.

And "proper send-off" would be most cruel thing they could do. Right now there is a chance for they come back in the future. But saying "goodbye" would strongly imply killing them for good, not to mention confuse all the new readers.

13 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

yes they exist.

Huh, okay. I honestly never knew. I meet people who hate Flynn, but they seemed to hate comic overall.

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Again its called legacy, and they are still beloved by fans you know.

I just want an arc or a cameo of all of them in the same issue, not asking for a takeover.

I mean why not make a mini arc with them?

Because they are not in the games? thats a lame excuse as Ian is pushing his characters.

I just want an arc to say goodbye that is all, they can make cameos too I would be happy with that.

I'd rather make a mini-series separated from IDW main storyline to say goodbye. I know their fans deserve it. But since IDW is a different thing entirely, I would not do it there.