Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I do believe we might be getting a Second book running in the future, as Sonic Universe did very well. It also would provide character-stories (outside of Sonic pov)

Also woa, Tracey Y, has improved so much. I followed his work when hé joined Archie in 2006 and his recent work for IDW is Just amazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we will be definitely seeing shorter or longer arcs, Ian doesn't repeat the same formula over and over. But some things will last 12 issues.

Anyway, my ideas on how I would do the current storyline, and yes they involve death and bleak:

- What if Silver died in the explosion? Would have been a much better payoff to raise the stakes, then the conflict would have been more personal, and... since Silver comes from this future, the loophole would simply be have them fix this future so it never happens and Silver would return.

- I'd also kill one of the Skunk bros. so the other one would have a real motive for revenge, maybe when they are roboticized/infected, it'd be much easier to kill one of them.

- Have Sonic turn completely metallic, and then Amy and Knuckles lead an army to fight him.

- Sticks should show up, having survived the infection, she and Tails could come up with the cure, mostly Tails with his genius, and then Sticks could help spreading the cure.

- Also, I'd really make Tangle and Whisper a thing, since their personalities mesh so well, they are polar opposites and I would be interested in that... I know, shipping but whatever. Also give Tangle a backstory and explore her but not in a tragic way, a more simple but deep way.

These are my weird ideas, feel free to criticize them and let me know what you think.

19 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Personally I still say I'll take "Boring Adventures" over shitty love triangles, Overpowerd God Knuckles, Boring fucking Echidna's and Politics. This is why I preferred the Post-Reboot stuff and why I prefer IDW it's simple. It's fun there's a decent flow and it's not up it's own ass trying to prove it's more mature than the games.

This is what I was wanting just Sonic and his friends smashing robots and stopping the newest evil scheme with some fun character dynamics. But I've made it clear before I really don't xcare about the deep lore or want to Sonic's character assassinated by having him bawl like a baby because Eggman beat him because that's not Sonic. Sonic is a high adventure thrill ride and IMHO the book is delivering on that. It's not the deepest thing but it's Sonic for crying out loud.

Justifying the bland writing we have now with stuff made ages ago by writers who don't even work for the book anymore it's extremely unfair : it's like you WANT the Archie Sonic to be hated so that nobody will bother you for liking IDW. Newsflash : people still like Archie Sonic, both pre or post reboot and they have all the right to like them. You want a game : play the games. A comic should be different. And IDW Sonic is literally the same as God Knuckles, since he cannot loose or show much human emotion. 

I just want the freedom fighters back, all of them... and no that so called "Bunnie cameo" doesnt count

Love them or hate them they were in Archie for its entire run and are a legacy that cannot be ignored

I really dont care if they are "non cannon" or not in the games, they had a fan base dammit

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

- I'd also kill one of the Skunk bros. so the other one would have a real motive for revenge, maybe when they are roboticized/infected, it'd be much easier to kill one of them.

That sounds like a terrible idea. I like Rough and Tumble!

2 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I just want the freedom fighters back, all of them... and no that so called "Bunnie cameo" doesnt count

Love them or hate them they were in Archie for its entire run and are a legacy that cannot be ignored

I'd rather IDW was its own thing and not Archie 2.0.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Well if only for an arc at least, so we fans of them can have a proper send off.

Archie sonic just ended, no resolution no nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

...feel free to criticize them...

It's bad, Jim.

Ya gotta bring in that work.

Potential is existing there.

Just now, MadmanRB said:

Well if only for an arc at least, so we fans of them can have a proper send off

My favorite characters didn't get a proper sendoff, so why should yours?

Just now, Splash the Otter said:

Again its called legacy, no one respects legacy these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It's not really it's own thing if it's just the game 2.0

2 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

What characters and why do you make it all about you now? 

This is a different book though, it's not 1:1 with the games and not another Archie book so why add the Freedom Fighters here?

6 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

This is a different book though, it's not 1:1 with the games and not another Archie book so why add the Freedom Fighters here?

Again its called legacy, and they are still beloved by fans you know.

I just want an arc or a cameo of all of them in the same issue, not asking for a takeover.

I mean why not make a mini arc with them?

Because they are not in the games? thats a lame excuse as Ian is pushing his characters.

I just want an arc to say goodbye that is all, they can make cameos too I would be happy with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

We're back to mourning FF again?

Look people, it's a cold logic. IDW could
1 Try to recreate Archie as closely as possible, but without 300+ issues of baggage just come out as inferior (plus repetitive after Archie Reboot), thus loosing part of old audience and attracting fewer new ones.
2 Go with "game world", most logical route, yet not taken so far by any Sonic comic or cartoon, thus attracting widest audience possible.

And "proper send-off" would be most cruel thing they could do. Right now there is a chance for they come back in the future. But saying "goodbye" would strongly imply killing them for good, not to mention confuse all the new readers.

13 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

yes they exist.

Huh, okay. I honestly never knew. I meet people who hate Flynn, but they seemed to hate comic overall.

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I just want an arc or a cameo of all of them in the same issue, not asking for a takeover.

Because they are not in the games? thats a lame excuse as Ian is pushing his characters.

I just want an arc to say goodbye that is all, they can make cameos too I would be happy with that.

I'd rather make a mini-series separated from IDW main storyline to say goodbye. I know their fans deserve it. But since IDW is a different thing entirely, I would not do it there.

6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Again, I didn't get to say goodbye to my favorites. Why should you?

8 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Again, I didn't get to say goodbye to my favorites. Why should you?

Well who are your favorites?

The Penders characters?

Mina Mongoose even?

Hey no one to blame there except Penders and i dont think Penders would allow his characters to come back with his dispute with sega.

At least with the SatAM characters who owns them is sega (not the assumption Archie owns them everyone has, I actually did my homework)

Even Flynn claimed Sega owns them now

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well who are your favorites?

The Penders characters?

Mina Mongoose even?

Elias, Geoffrey and Tails' family.

3 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Hey no one to blame there except Penders and i dont think Penders would allow his characters to come back with his dispute with sega.

At least with the SatAM characters who owns them is sega

Even Flynn claimed Sega owns them now

I don't care. If I see anyone from SatAM in the IDW comic I will be quite upset.

5 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I don't care. If I see anyone from SatAM in the IDW comic I will be quite upset.

Well there is a chance that Elias may come back.

As for Tails family... you know this is sega right where sonic characters dont have families and obvoisly came from some lab somewhere?

Yeah I want the characters to have families, Jesus sega and Sonic writers give sonic and company families again.

Again Tails family maybe in question as i think these characters belong to Penders, but still giver the characters families for pete sake IDW!

16 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

So again, this is all about you? 

Also you don't want the characters that caused the ones you liked to exist in the first place but you support the company that took the characters you like away? 

Not the best logic.

35 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

So again, this is all about you? 

Also you don't want the characters that caused the ones you liked to exist in the first place but you support the company that took the characters you like away? 

Not the best logic.

While I agree that wanting characters that only existed because of SatAM characters, while not wanting the SatAM characters is daft - if they didn’t support the company that “took the characters away” then they wouldn’t support anything Sonic related which seems a tad extreme over characters. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Tails's family,Elias and Geoffrey are out of the question , there already off limits because Ken Penders owns them and hé wants to use Geoffrey for his own comic and mandates already makes Archie characters off limit. 

Flynn couldnt even bring anyone back from post Reboot.

There is only a slim chance for the freedom fighters but Sega doesn't like bringing back property from dead spin offs. But like everyone else said , IDW is its own thing. NOT Archie. Drop the book and re-read Archie comic books.

3 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think we will be definitely seeing shorter or longer arcs, Ian doesn't repeat the same formula over and over. But some things will last 12 issues.

Anyway, my ideas on how I would do the current storyline, and yes they involve death and bleak:

- What if Silver died in the explosion? Would have been a much better payoff to raise the stakes, then the conflict would have been more personal, and... since Silver comes from this future, the loophole would simply be have them fix this future so it never happens and Silver would return.

tenor.gif

I see what you're sayin, it's just...wow.

3 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

- Have Sonic turn completely metallic, and then Amy and Knuckles lead an army to fight him.

- Sticks should show up, having survived the infection, she and Tails could come up with the cure, mostly Tails with his genius, and then Sticks could help spreading the cure.

- Also, I'd really make Tangle and Whisper a thing, since their personalities mesh so well, they are polar opposites and I would be interested in that... I know, shipping but whatever. Also give Tangle a backstory and explore her but not in a tragic way, a more simple but deep way.

These are my weird ideas, feel free to criticize them and let me know what you think.

Yeah, these are definitely limelight laden game shakers.

2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

I really dont care if they are "non cannon" or not in the games, they had a fan base dammit

I would like to see them again too, but I think the issue is a brand recognition thing.

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

WwwWELL!

Error

More spite for liking the previous comic, I see.

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

As for Tails family... you know this is sega right where sonic characters dont have families and obvoisly came from some lab somewhere?

Yeah I want the characters to have families, Jesus sega and Sonic writers give sonic and company families again.

Again Tails family maybe in question as i think these characters belong to Penders, but still giver the characters families for pete sake IDW!

I forget who it was exactly, but I believe Amadeus and Rosemary were made by a different writer. Maybe Michael Gallagher?

8 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I do believe we might be getting a Second book running in the future, as Sonic Universe did very well. It also would provide character-stories (outside of Sonic pov)

I would assume it be likely, considering Archie managed to run 2 books from Sonic X and then Sonic Universe for something like 12 years in a row. I guess my question is whether or not it is going to be Sonic Universe 2.0 or if they really want to make it about Whisper and Tangle, and their miniseries is them testing the water for that concept.

2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Yes, he's planned to appear in The Lara-Su Chronicles... coming soon, maybe.

Having the FF in one arc is like playing with fire. You'll have their fans wanting more of them (let's admit, we fans never have enough) and the non-fans who will call it Archie 2.0 and even stop reading the comic. Let's not have that in the early years of the comic. Besides, you've had 20 years of material featuring them, isn't that enough ?
Oh and I've seen that answer too many times : it has nothing with "respecting their legacy". Please stop using that "legacy" excuse. You don't see me crying for the StC FF in IDW because of their "legacy". They've had their time, plus they're still in some online continuities. That's enough.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1