Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

30 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Yes, he's planned to appear in The Lara-Su Chronicles... coming soon, maybe.

Having the FF in one arc is like playing with fire. You'll have their fans wanting more of them (let's admit, we fans never have enough) and the non-fans who will call it Archie 2.0 and even stop reading the comic. Let's not have that in the early years of the comic. Besides, you've had 20 years of material featuring them, isn't that enough ?
Oh and I've seen that answer too many times : it has nothing with "respecting their legacy". Please stop using that "legacy" excuse. You don't see me crying for the StC FF in IDW because of their "legacy". They've had their time, plus they're still in some online continuities. That's enough.

Again I get it the freedom fighters are not in the games, they have no value go them for game purists but again Superman has Jimmy Olson who did not originate form the comics, hell Amy Rose came from a japanese sonic comic and not the games.

These characters matter to someone you know.

Me i refuse to buy any IDW sonic comic until they return in some form or fashion, I am doing it on principle.

But thats just my opinion, you want beloved characters under the bus fine but there is always another side of the coin.

And yes legacy is important to me, respecting and honouring the past of a franchise should not be looked down upon especially in a franchise as fragile as Sonic

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

but again Superman has Jimmy Olson who did not originate form the comics, ]

He didn't?

hell Amy Rose came from a japanese sonic comic and not the games.

According to the wikia, she was apparently suggested by a licensor. Though comics may have indeed been a testing grounds for the concept at least.

These characters matter to someone you know.

Pretty much.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He didn't?

Yes its true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Olsen

He was actually created for the Superman Radio drama and yes those existed way back when, the most famous in modern times being Superman VS the friggin KKK (it wasnt called the KKK in the radio play directly but there is no denying it was them in the story)!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh my goodness, wtf?

Indeed, if you want to listen its on youtube, yeah its nearly 3 hours but keep in mind this was a radio serial that came in several installments

3 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

So again, this is all about you? 

Also you don't want the characters that caused the ones you liked to exist in the first place but you support the company that took the characters you like away? 

Not the best logic.

It isn't that I don't want the SatAM characters, it's just...when you have your favorites taken away from you while others not only get to stay but persist into other canons, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, you know?

4 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It isn't that I don't want the SatAM characters, it's just...when you have your favorites taken away from you while others not only get to stay but persist into other canons, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, you know?

Yeah but blame Penders there, he is to blame for the archie reboot and rthe removal of some of your favorites so yes be angry at him not us SatAM fans.

So can I just say it surprising that Whisper and fuckin Tangle are getting what seems to be part one of a spinoff all to themselves?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So can I just say it surprising that Whisper and fuckin Tangle are getting what seems to be part one of a spinoff all to themselves?

A bit, but if this just the start of a series of " Ok this character gets a mini series " then that makes more sense and IDW probs just wanted their characters first.

Either way I don't think its the smartest idea, a good way to get people to hate your characters is to push to hard in the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Shadowlax said:

A bit, but if this just the start of a series of " Ok this character gets a mini series " then that makes more sense and IDW probs just wanted their characters first.

Either way I don't think its the smartest idea, a good way to get people to hate your characters is to push to hard

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

Just now, MadmanRB said:

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

Your perspective isn't exactly what I was accounting for, but it is an interesting one.

Just now, MadmanRB said:

its nothing personal ,Sega just doesnt like bringing back dead property , there is a reason why they didnt allow Sonic X comics to be re- sold and re-printed or for Sonic Underground to be continued.

Its also not pushing, its that IDW Sonic is its own thing. Its not really IDW's fault. Flyn tried to bring back post-reboot characters and that was denied and he has been always trying to bring back the Freedom Fighters.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Flynn’s characters don’t face the baggage of potential legal action that the Archie characters faced. Even with SEGA owning the Freedom fighters, given Penders went after characters even blatantly based on Knuckles they probably just view it as not worth the potential resources it could cost them. I don’t really blame them honestly.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Shit man they're going to promote the characters that are actually in the comic and not the ones that aren't, and who may never be, for reasons outside of their control? What bastards.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

Yeah but unlike Mina Mongoose Sega kind of always owned the rights to the SatAM characters anyhow.

And if it is indeed Sega who is not allowing the freedom fighters to come back then I say to hell with sega.

Not like I would be alone in disdain for sega, not just on the freedom fighters (and in hindsight is a small matter considering segas track record as of late) but man sega has not had a good game in a while so....

My feelings against sega go beyond sonic so you all know, not really a fan of the company these days.

Sure they are no EA or Ubisoft but they do have some scorn from me and justifiably so.

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Either way I don't think its the smartest idea, a good way to get people to hate your characters is to push to hard in the beginning.

I suppose so. It just seems super friggin early for that, especially since they had only two appearances in the book by the time that was announced(citation please?) and at their best, Whisper is another Thrash.

Yeesh, when Mr. Flynn said SEGA were giving IDW a hellava lot of creative leeway with Sonic, he must've really fuckin meant it.

Anyway my disliking of the Freedom Fighters as I said, has nothing to do with the fact that they do not originate from the games, even though I don't see why it's weird for them to focus on the actually iconic characters that everyone loves. Freedom Fighters are also loved though, but they are gone, they don't need to be in this book since they are simply not a part of it. They were built in mind for the Archie book, but not here, so it's not the IDW run's fault if they are not present, it's an Archie vs SEGA problem that the book was suddenly cancelled without closure. I'm sorry for their fans, but it's not an issue here.

And to finish my speech, I don't like the Freedom Fighters because they are built as main characters taking away screentime from Sonic and I just don't find them interesting aside from Bunnie and Nicole, whereas I prefer Sonic as protagonist, and in lesser way, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as main cast and that's it.

• Way Past Cool 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

Just now, Jack the Shadow said:

Anyway my disliking of the Freedom Fighters as I said, has nothing to do with the fact that they do not originate from the games, even though I don't see why it's weird for them to focus on the actually iconic characters that everyone loves. Freedom Fighters are also loved though, but they are gone, they don't need to be in this book since they are simply not a part of it. They were built in mind for the Archie book, but not here, so it's not the IDW run's fault if they are not present, it's an Archie vs SEGA problem that the book was suddenly cancelled without closure. I'm sorry for their fans, but it's not an issue here.

And to finish my speech, I don't like the Freedom Fighters because they are built as main characters taking away screentime from Sonic and I just don't find them interesting aside from Bunnie and Nicole, whereas I prefer Sonic as protagonist, and in lesser way, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as main cast and that's it.

Well people always forget that the freedom fighters were created to fill in the gaps, the games only had a few characters back then and the comics would have been boring if it was just sonic and tails and Robotnik.

And yes they may have lost relevance thanks to segas insistence of being more characters into the fray but they do have fans.

55 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Then let's just cancel Sonic all together so no one gets mad 

5 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Then let's just cancel Sonic all together so no one gets mad 

Actually not a bad idea, especially if the movie flops hard and the games stop being profitable

• Fist Bump 1

14 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well people always forget that the freedom fighters were created to fill in the gaps, the games only had a few characters back then and the comics would have been boring if it was just sonic and tails and Robotnik.

And yes they may have lost relevance thanks to segas insistence of being more characters into the fray but they do have fans.

Uh, sort of?

Sally, Antoine, and apparently Rotor were all intended to contrast with Sonic's personality in different ways, while Bunnie was more of an extension of the roboticizer concept, which itself was an extreme version of the Badniks. And NICOLE is...something else connected to Sally.

Also, the Freedom Fighters and Snively were actually created for SatAM, but the comics debuted first. What's interesting is that there is a lot of alternative details and designs for the early American & British spinoff stuff that shows up in not only the different spinoffs back then, but in production materials.

16 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

The games still come first, and the characters who appear in them at least have something… the Freedom Fighters were niche characters that stayed surprisingly long, I think they've had a good life, maybe we could say the reboot was their redemption.

Okay, low key, can we maybe cool it on arguing about the Freedom Fighters a bit?

Like, I deliberately omitted referencing the Princess Sally Miniseries in my post about Tangle and Whisper specifically because I didn't wanna encourage it.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, low key, can we maybe cool it on arguing about the Freedom Fighters a bit?

Like, I deliberately omitted referencing the Princess Sally Miniseries in my post about Tangle and Whisper specifically because I didn't wanna encourage it.

Well there is a difference between the sally conic mini series and this, as it was a little while before sally got her own miniseries.

These days its too common to have a spinoff just because you can and yes that is a legitimate criticism of the modern comic industry... its so bloated anymore.

6 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Justifying the bland writing we have now with stuff made ages ago by writers who don't even work for the book anymore it's extremely unfair : it's like you WANT the Archie Sonic to be hated so that nobody will bother you for liking IDW. Newsflash : people still like Archie Sonic, both pre or post reboot and they have all the right to like them. You want a game : play the games. A comic should be different. And IDW Sonic is literally the same as God Knuckles, since he cannot loose or show much human emotion. 

Wow that is an overreaction. You can like Pre-Reboot Archie dude. Hell I don't even hate a lot of Pre-Reboot Archie I just don't see it as the kind of thing I immediately think of when I think of Sonic.

• Nice Smile 1