Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well there is a difference between the sally conic mini series and this, as it was a little while before sally got her own miniseries.

These days its too common to have a spinoff just because you can and yes that is a legitimate criticism of the modern comic industry... its so bloated anymore.

That's part of it.

Of course, when you compare SEGA's degree of oversight on the two comics and how much it seemingly took to get the spinoff off the ground, it gets even more bizarre.

15 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well there is a difference between the sally conic mini series and this, as it was a little while before sally got her own miniseries.

These days its too common to have a spinoff just because you can and yes that is a legitimate criticism of the modern comic industry... its so bloated anymore.

Actually...It's roughly the same amount of time. The Sally Miniseries began publishing during #21-23 of the Archie Comic. While the 0 issue (which seems to mostly be a recap) was solicited with #16 I believe it was the actual Miniseries hasn't been solicited yet. It could start around issue 18 or so so it's not that much sooner than Sally's miniseries.

And I'd like to point out Tangle & Whisper  is happening for pretty much the same reason Sally's did. Because they're popular. There's nothing more to it than that.

Just now, SBR2 said:

Actually...It's roughly the same amount of time. The Sally Miniseries began publishing during #21-23 of the Archie Comic. While the 0 issue (which seems to mostly be a recap) was solicited with #16 I believe it was the actual Miniseries hasn't been solicited yet. It could start around issue 18 or so so it's not that much sooner than Sally's miniseries.

And I'd like to point out Tangle & Whisper  is happening for pretty much the same reason Sally's did. Because they're popular. There's nothing more to it than that.

Yeah but sally was also in SatAM so has have a bonus with her.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Huh. After [not actually] crunching the numbers, I suppose that's at least technically true. And I say technically because, even if you ignore SATAM not being out just yet, I think there was originally a collection of early stories that Archie started with before it's actual run.

The distinction, of course, is that Sally had a lot more established material and lead-in to carry into a spinoff story than Whisper does.

So anyway , I would.love seeing more IDW characters, what type of characters do you guys want to see in the book?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

So anyway , I would.love seeing more IDW characters, what type of characters do you guys want to see in the book?

My first choice would be to see more villains, but they've really been trying to pick up the slack in that regards in recent years with The Deadly Six, Rough n Tumble, and Dr. Starline, so maybe there's not as much a need to rush there.

I guess a male hero or neutral could be a decent slot to fill when necessary.

Hm, idk, I'd have to think. Maybe even dig up some older concepts and wants.

• Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

My first choice would be to see more villains, but they've really been trying to pick up the slack in that regards in recent years with The Deadly Six, Rough n Tumble, and Dr. Starline, so maybe there's not as much a need to rush there.

I guess a male hero or neutral could be a decent slot to fill when necessary.

Hm, idk, I'd have to think. Maybe even dig up some older concepts and wants.

Well more villains is a good thing for a ongoing comic series, rouges galleries make superheros after all.

I mean yes they can bring back the deadly 6 or Infinite heck i am all for it if only to give sonic more to fight against so the series would not be stale.

31 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I would like to see more villains but for characters other than Sonic. Like a personal rival/villain for Amy.  I'm sure that Tangle and Whisper will run into a threat that isn't just Eggman in their mini-series.

• Thumbs Up 3

32 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well more villains is a good thing for a ongoing comic series, rouges galleries make superheros after all.

I mean yes they can bring back the deadly 6 or Infinite heck i am all for it if only to give sonic more to fight against so the series would not be stale.

Very true. 

And that is very much the game plan, but it'll take time. 

IDW is trying to recreate the feel of SATAM/Pre-boot Archie under the backdrop of Sonic Forces, but is unable to recreate all the elements that made people love that series. It is too much like the games to pull it off easily.

At the same point IDW isn't really appealing to the fans of other continuities by having these long running, dramatic story arcs and introducing new characters that are more grounded than what people are used to from the games (and X/Boom to a lesser extent).

Talking from bias here, but outside of a few story arcs the comics haven't really tried being like the games. I think people may be able to accept the loss of the Archie elements if the comic wasn't trying to be like Archie. Maybe these people would be able to accept the comic as something different if it was actually trying to be something different.

6 minutes ago, Slashy said:

IDW is trying to recreate the feel of SATAM/Pre-boot Archie under the backdrop of Sonic Forces

Can you name any similarities between SATAM & IDW and Pre-Genesis Wave Archie & IDW?

2 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Can you name any similarities between SATAM & IDW and Pre-Genesis Wave Archie & IDW?

There's the Resistance which is a very basic concept and was from a Sega game. Eggman conqueringthe world which has been used in a bunch of media and again was from Forces. 

Honestly I have no idea what they're talking about. It's taken more from Sonic Heroes than it has SatAM.

2 hours ago, chaosjam said:

I would like to see more villains but for characters other than Sonic. Like a personal rival/villain for Amy.  I'm sure that Tangle and Whisper will run into a threat that isn't just Eggman in their mini-series.

Now that you mention it, the only villains Amy had thus far were Metal, the Monkey Metarex, and Jun Kun.

Unless there was one in STC.

27 minutes ago, Slashy said:

IDW is trying to recreate the feel of SATAM/Pre-boot Archie under the backdrop of Sonic Forces, but is unable to recreate all the elements that made people love that series. It is too much like the games to pull it off easily.

At the same point IDW isn't really appealing to the fans of other continuities by having these long running, dramatic story arcs and introducing new characters that are more grounded than what people are used to from the games (and X/Boom to a lesser extent).

Talking from bias here, but outside of a few story arcs the comics haven't really tried being like the games. I think people may be able to accept the loss of the Archie elements if the comic wasn't trying to be like Archie. Maybe these people would be able to accept the comic as something different if it was actually trying to be something different.

I think part of it is because Archie WAS the Sonic comic for such a long, sometimes tumultuous time that the comparison is kinda imminent.

I mean, you can not compare the two, but chances are it's gonna come up at some point.

Which it has. Numerous times.

18 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Aside from the carry over from Forces(which was compared to SatAM itself), there's Ian Flynn as the head writer, Tracy Yardley, Evan Stanley, and Adam Bryce Thomas are back as pencils, um, I think Matty Herms did colors once, and a number of issues take place in forest villages and two mobian cities with walls.

Oh and Dr. Starline's design was inspired by Dr. Finitevus.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I think it'd be kind of nice to have a villain that isn't really affiliated with Eggman. Much as I loved the Egg Bosses in reboot Archie, it seemed like a waste to have all the major villains under Eggman's heel. Even groups like the Armada (Naugus was the only exception and he wasn't present until near the end of the ongoing arc). Makes me a bit torn on Starline since I think he's probably my favorite addition that I've seen in IDW but he seems like the type of character I'd prefer following his own plans and even getting in Eggman's way instead of helping him. I could be wrong though. I haven't read the most recent issues so for all I know he could be similar to previous Egg Bosses or pre-reboot Archie characters like Lien-da who were only helping build Eggman's forces so they can reap the benefits when he falls.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I think it'd be kind of nice to have a villain that isn't really affiliated with Eggman. Much as I loved the Egg Bosses in reboot Archie, it seemed like a waste to have all the major villains under Eggman's heel. Even groups like the Armada. Makes me a bit torn on Starline since I think he's probably my favorite addition that I've seen in IDW but he seems like the type of character I'd prefer following his own plans and even getting in Eggman's way instead of helping him. I could be wrong though. I haven't read the most recent issues so for all I know he could be similar to previous Egg Bosses or pre-reboot Archie characters like Lien-da who were only helping build Eggman's forces so they can reap the benefits when he falls.

That's true.

I was also initially under the impression that Rough n' Tumble wouldn't be around quite as much as they have been, but here we are.

Maybe we could get another primarily magic based villain.

I wouldn't mind more villains who are out to do their own thing. Preferably someone whose a bit more competent than Naugus was Post-Reboot. I swear, he got dunked on and treated like a wuss. It was like watching someone who carried themselves as an uber badass villain get treated by everyone else like he was a member of Team Rocket.

That said, I would also really appreciate a new set of Egg Bosses.

I know that Ian can't just immediately do it like he could when the Genesis Wave that caused the soft-reboot happened since the concept of the Egg Bosses was already well set up at that point. Just designing new characters and putting them into vacant slots of the ones he couldn't use anymore was something he could get away with but this is a well and true clean slate so a lot of set-up still awaits us.

I'm in the "more villains" bandwagon. XD

However, I think that they don't necessarily have to be affiliated to the Eggman empire, instead being more like independent individuals and groups/organizations. Likewise, it would be nice if some of the new villains were specifically designed to rival the game cast. For example, a mafia that plunders ancient ruins could very well serve to involve characters like Knuckles, Rouge and the Chaotix. Others could be bad guys with redeeming qualities for Amy to turn into allies, and even then, it would also be interesting for Amy to encounter at least one that does not wish to be saved from itself (or is just the exact oppsite, enjoying the misery of others like how Drawlover once made a comic with Zor from the D6). Others could be interdimensional travelers who cause trouble, which would allow for Blaze to go after them, etc.

Though most of this is something I can see happening only if there was a sister publication like Universe, since the main book is pretty much Sonic's show.

• Thumbs Up 1

More villains would be great, with Rough and Tumble feeling like a taste of things to come.

Maybe a villain who isn’t specifically a villain, and could easily be taken for a good guy. And they are, but they just have questionable morals whose methods end up hurting others.

Maybe a villain themed after an environment, using the surrounding area to further their plans. I’d love to see more villains that use lightning!

Give us unique, Sonic-themed villains!

I'd definitely like to see more independent villains. Folks like Knuckles and Shadow deserve to have their own recurring enemies, like with Thrash and Eclipse. (rip ;n;) And if Worlds Unite did anything right, it showed that the Deadly Six have potential under a competent writer. Heck, even Runners made them a lot less one-note by adding interesting quirks. (Zor being very poetic, Zeena having a savage wit, etc.)

Don't get me wrong- I'm loving the new rouge's gallery and what IDW's doing with Eggman and Metal Sonic, but after this arc, it'd be nice to redistribute the wealth among the dark side.

I'd honestly be kind of surprised if Starline doesn't strike out from Eggman at some point, realising he's more efficient at fighting Sonic than he is and more than capable of handling things on his own. I think it'd be odd to keep him as a Snivley expy in the long run. (Granted strike out is exactly what Snivley did later on)

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. Their aim is just to make it sound "end-timey" to suit their agenda. 

If IDW were on the verge of death I somehow doubt they'd be a week away from launching an all-new Transformers series, innit. It's less a symbol of IDW struggling and more just how the comics industry is now. 

• Thumbs Up 3

37 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Maybe a villain who isn’t specifically a villain, and could easily be taken for a good guy. And they are, but they just have questionable morals whose methods end up hurting others.

So, another Thrash?

27 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Heck, even Runners made them a lot less one-note by adding interesting quirks. (Zor being very poetic, Zeena having a savage wit, etc.)

It did? That's good! I wasn't aware anyone besides Zavok, Zazz, and apparently Zik were in it, though.

Also, Zor alludes to a "Ballad of Death" in the Japanese version when he's spying on Sonic. And Zeena's...lazy.

12 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/The_Splintering/status/1103720351664611328

So...how much is this something to worry about? I heard some of the sources are heavily pro-Comicsgate so that makes me weary to believe it completely. 

What is Comicsgate exactly?

28 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What is Comicsgate exactly?

Tl;dr grown men cry about anything mildly progressive being in their comic books 

as to be expected of anything with “gate” in the name nowadays basically 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

40 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Tl;dr grown men cry about anything mildly progressive being in their comic books 

as to be expected of anything with “gate” in the name nowadays basically 

Well that's kinda dumb.