Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

So again, this is all about you? 

Also you don't want the characters that caused the ones you liked to exist in the first place but you support the company that took the characters you like away? 

Not the best logic.

While I agree that wanting characters that only existed because of SatAM characters, while not wanting the SatAM characters is daft - if they didn’t support the company that “took the characters away” then they wouldn’t support anything Sonic related which seems a tad extreme over characters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tails's family,Elias and Geoffrey are out of the question , there already off limits because Ken Penders owns them and hé wants to use Geoffrey for his own comic and mandates already makes Archie characters off limit. 

Flynn couldnt even bring anyone back from post Reboot.

There is only a slim chance for the freedom fighters but Sega doesn't like bringing back property from dead spin offs. But like everyone else said , IDW is its own thing. NOT Archie. Drop the book and re-read Archie comic books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think we will be definitely seeing shorter or longer arcs, Ian doesn't repeat the same formula over and over. But some things will last 12 issues.

Anyway, my ideas on how I would do the current storyline, and yes they involve death and bleak:

- What if Silver died in the explosion? Would have been a much better payoff to raise the stakes, then the conflict would have been more personal, and... since Silver comes from this future, the loophole would simply be have them fix this future so it never happens and Silver would return.

- I'd also kill one of the Skunk bros. so the other one would have a real motive for revenge, maybe when they are roboticized/infected, it'd be much easier to kill one of them.

tenor.gif

I see what you're sayin, it's just...wow.

3 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I think we will be definitely seeing shorter or longer arcs, Ian doesn't repeat the same formula over and over. But some things will last 12 issues.

Anyway, my ideas on how I would do the current storyline, and yes they involve death and bleak:

- Have Sonic turn completely metallic, and then Amy and Knuckles lead an army to fight him.

- Sticks should show up, having survived the infection, she and Tails could come up with the cure, mostly Tails with his genius, and then Sticks could help spreading the cure.

- Also, I'd really make Tangle and Whisper a thing, since their personalities mesh so well, they are polar opposites and I would be interested in that... I know, shipping but whatever. Also give Tangle a backstory and explore her but not in a tragic way, a more simple but deep way.

These are my weird ideas, feel free to criticize them and let me know what you think.

 

Yeah, these are definitely limelight laden game shakers.

2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

I just want the freedom fighters back, all of them... and no that so called "Bunnie cameo" doesnt count

Love them or hate them they were in Archie for its entire run and are a legacy that cannot be ignored

I really dont care if they are "non cannon" or not in the games, they had a fan base dammit

I would like to see them again too, but I think the issue is a brand recognition thing.

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

My favorite characters didn't get a proper sendoff, so why should yours?

WwwWELL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Error

 

More spite for liking the previous comic, I see.

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

Well there is a chance that Elias may come back.

As for Tails family... you know this is sega right where sonic characters dont have families and obvoisly came from some lab somewhere?

 

Yeah I want the characters to have families, Jesus sega and Sonic writers give sonic and company families again.

Again Tails family maybe in question as i think these characters belong to Penders, but still giver the characters families for pete sake IDW!

I forget who it was exactly, but I believe Amadeus and Rosemary were made by a different writer. Maybe Michael Gallagher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I do believe we might be getting a Second book running in the future, as Sonic Universe did very well. It also would provide character-stories (outside of Sonic pov)

I would assume it be likely, considering Archie managed to run 2 books from Sonic X and then Sonic Universe for something like 12 years in a row. I guess my question is whether or not it is going to be Sonic Universe 2.0 or if they really want to make it about Whisper and Tangle, and their miniseries is them testing the water for that concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Well there is a chance that Elias may come back.

Yes, he's planned to appear in The Lara-Su Chronicles... coming soon, maybe.

Having the FF in one arc is like playing with fire. You'll have their fans wanting more of them (let's admit, we fans never have enough) and the non-fans who will call it Archie 2.0 and even stop reading the comic. Let's not have that in the early years of the comic. Besides, you've had 20 years of material featuring them, isn't that enough ?
Oh and I've seen that answer too many times : it has nothing with "respecting their legacy". Please stop using that "legacy" excuse. You don't see me crying for the StC FF in IDW because of their "legacy". They've had their time, plus they're still in some online continuities. That's enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Adamis said:

Yes, he's planned to appear in The Lara-Su Chronicles... coming soon, maybe.

Having the FF in one arc is like playing with fire. You'll have their fans wanting more of them (let's admit, we fans never have enough) and the non-fans who will call it Archie 2.0 and even stop reading the comic. Let's not have that in the early years of the comic. Besides, you've had 20 years of material featuring them, isn't that enough ?
Oh and I've seen that answer too many times : it has nothing with "respecting their legacy". Please stop using that "legacy" excuse. You don't see me crying for the StC FF in IDW because of their "legacy". They've had their time, plus they're still in some online continuities. That's enough.

Again I get it the freedom fighters are not in the games, they have no value go them for game purists but again Superman has Jimmy Olson who did not originate form the comics, hell Amy Rose came from a japanese sonic comic and not the games.

These characters matter to someone you know.

Me i refuse to buy any IDW sonic comic until they return in some form or fashion, I am doing it on principle.

 

But thats just my opinion, you want beloved characters under the bus fine but there is always another side of the coin.

And yes legacy is important to me, respecting and honouring the past of a franchise should not be looked down upon especially in a franchise as fragile as Sonic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

 but again Superman has Jimmy Olson who did not originate form the comics, ]

He didn't?

6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

 hell Amy Rose came from a japanese sonic comic and not the games.

 

According to the wikia, she was apparently suggested by a licensor. Though comics may have indeed been a testing grounds for the concept at least.

6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

 

These characters matter to someone you know.

 

Pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He didn't?

Yes its true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Olsen

 

He was actually created for the Superman Radio drama and yes those existed way back when, the most famous in modern times being Superman VS the friggin KKK (it wasnt called the KKK in the radio play directly but there is no denying it was them in the story)!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh my goodness, wtf?

 

Indeed, if you want to listen its on youtube, yeah its nearly 3 hours but keep in mind this was a radio serial that came in several installments

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

So again, this is all about you? 

Also you don't want the characters that caused the ones you liked to exist in the first place but you support the company that took the characters you like away? 

Not the best logic.

It isn't that I don't want the SatAM characters, it's just...when you have your favorites taken away from you while others not only get to stay but persist into other canons, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It isn't that I don't want the SatAM characters, it's just...when you have your favorites taken away from you while others not only get to stay but persist into other canons, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, you know?

Yeah but blame Penders there, he is to blame for the archie reboot and rthe removal of some of your favorites so yes be angry at him not us SatAM fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So can I just say it surprising that Whisper and fuckin Tangle are getting what seems to be part one of a spinoff all to themselves?

A bit, but if this just the start of a series of " Ok this character gets a mini series " then that makes more sense and IDW probs just wanted their characters first.

Either way I don't think its the smartest idea, a good way to get people to hate your characters is to push to hard in the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shadowlax said:

A bit, but if this just the start of a series of " Ok this character gets a mini series " then that makes more sense and IDW probs just wanted their characters first.

Either way I don't think its the smartest idea, a good way to get people to hate your characters is to push to hard

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MadmanRB said:

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

Your perspective isn't exactly what I was accounting for, but it is an interesting one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MadmanRB said:

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

its nothing personal ,Sega just doesnt like bringing back dead property , there is a reason why they didnt allow Sonic X comics to be re- sold and re-printed or for Sonic Underground to be continued.

 

Its also not pushing, its that IDW Sonic is its own thing. Its not really IDW's fault. Flyn tried to bring back post-reboot characters and that was denied and he has been always trying to bring back the Freedom Fighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

Flynn’s characters don’t face the baggage of potential legal action that the Archie characters faced. Even with SEGA owning the Freedom fighters, given Penders went after characters even blatantly based on Knuckles they probably just view it as not worth the potential resources it could cost them. I don’t really blame them honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Yeah my resentment is rather high that IDW will push Flynns characters yet still not given the freedom fighters the green flag.... or sega for that matter.

Shit man they're going to promote the characters that are actually in the comic and not the ones that aren't, and who may never be, for reasons outside of their control? What bastards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but unlike Mina Mongoose Sega kind of always owned the rights to the SatAM characters anyhow.

And if it is indeed Sega who is not allowing the freedom fighters to come back then I say to hell with sega.

Not like I would be alone in disdain for sega, not just on the freedom fighters (and in hindsight is a small matter considering segas track record as of late) but man sega has not had a good game in a while so....

My feelings against sega go beyond sonic so you all know, not really a fan of the company these days.

Sure they are no EA or Ubisoft but they do have some scorn from me and justifiably so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

A bit, but if this just the start of a series of " Ok this character gets a mini series " then that makes more sense and IDW probs just wanted their characters first.

Either way I don't think its the smartest idea, a good way to get people to hate your characters is to push to hard in the beginning.

I suppose so. It just seems super friggin early for that, especially since they had only two appearances in the book by the time that was announced(citation please?) and at their best, Whisper is another Thrash.

Yeesh, when Mr. Flynn said SEGA were giving IDW a hellava lot of creative leeway with Sonic, he must've really fuckin meant it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway my disliking of the Freedom Fighters as I said, has nothing to do with the fact that they do not originate from the games, even though I don't see why it's weird for them to focus on the actually iconic characters that everyone loves. Freedom Fighters are also loved though, but they are gone, they don't need to be in this book since they are simply not a part of it. They were built in mind for the Archie book, but not here, so it's not the IDW run's fault if they are not present, it's an Archie vs SEGA problem that the book was suddenly cancelled without closure. I'm sorry for their fans, but it's not an issue here.

And to finish my speech, I don't like the Freedom Fighters because they are built as main characters taking away screentime from Sonic and I just don't find them interesting aside from Bunnie and Nicole, whereas I prefer Sonic as protagonist, and in lesser way, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as main cast and that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack the Shadow said:

Anyway my disliking of the Freedom Fighters as I said, has nothing to do with the fact that they do not originate from the games, even though I don't see why it's weird for them to focus on the actually iconic characters that everyone loves. Freedom Fighters are also loved though, but they are gone, they don't need to be in this book since they are simply not a part of it. They were built in mind for the Archie book, but not here, so it's not the IDW run's fault if they are not present, it's an Archie vs SEGA problem that the book was suddenly cancelled without closure. I'm sorry for their fans, but it's not an issue here.

And to finish my speech, I don't like the Freedom Fighters because they are built as main characters taking away screentime from Sonic and I just don't find them interesting aside from Bunnie and Nicole, whereas I prefer Sonic as protagonist, and in lesser way, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as main cast and that's it.

Well people always forget that the freedom fighters were created to fill in the gaps, the games only had a few characters back then and the comics would have been boring if it was just sonic and tails and Robotnik.

And yes they may have lost relevance thanks to segas insistence of being more characters into the fray but they do have fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It isn't that I don't want the SatAM characters, it's just...when you have your favorites taken away from you while others not only get to stay but persist into other canons, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, you know?

Then let's just cancel Sonic all together so no one gets mad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.