Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

There's some junk going around about how Flynn is this terrible person, because someone got in touch with a former co-worker who talked about Flynn making some administrative decisions that upset a few people. Even the person who spilled the beans still thinks Flynn is pretty alright and made the right calls. From what I've seen of it, and assuming that it's true, I agree with the co-worker.

The core of it is that supposedly Flynn had wanted to end the Freedom Fighters as they were, and also that he doesn't really want to finish the old story. Some of this involves certain design mandates that were his idea, not Sega's. It's confusing and I don't know how much of that is true (a lot of it seemed like conjecture), nor do I know whether or not this was Flynn wanting to steer the story in a certain direction or having to steer the story in a certain direction in order to solve some business-related problem with Archie or Sega.

The problem is that Flynn has had a hatetrain against him for a LONG time, so it's very hard to take this "exposure" seriously. I'm more skeptical of people like that than anything Flynn's supposedly doing. There are an awful lot of people like that, and I do mean "awful".

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't have been against the idea of him wanting to end the Freedom Fighters as they were. Not necessarily because I don't like or care about them (which is true) but mostly because I found whenever a severe upset would happen, that's usually when things got the most interesting for me as it forced an actual drastic change to take place regarding the state of the book.

I remember so much of the Mecha Sally arc being a huge slog after a certain point because nothing was really happening. They'd go from village to village, fight a collection of robots, and move on. Not even like how IDW was doing it either. It was the same three characters, going through the same exact motions and not even for the purpose of introducing us to a new comic or a new world. There was even a story about the feuding wolf people that made it seem like they were finally gonna get along at the end but then it turned out that they weren't which made that entire thing feel pointless.

It wasn't until Thrash showed up and got rid of all the echidnas that I started to really get into the book again. I know everyone hated it at the time but I was the total opposite. That entire storyline felt incredibly dire and dark. Seeing Knuckles react to losing all his people and knowing that Saffron was gone too was incredible. It felt like the status quo just did a 180. It shifted so drastically. Something changed and in a way that couldn't be reversed!  I wanted to know what was going to happen next SO BAD. But then everything got soft-rebooted. 

Ironically, that story happened because of Penders. 

Yeah, that's right.

Penders can't write his own stories but he can make other people's stories more interesting by ironically trying to strip away the use of his characters from them. Oh the harsh irony. Oh Penders, you walking punchline you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Despatche said:

There's some junk going around about how Flynn is this terrible person, because someone got in touch with a former co-worker who talked about Flynn making some administrative decisions that upset a few people. Even the person who spilled the beans still thinks Flynn is pretty alright and made the right calls. From what I've seen of it, and assuming that it's true, I agree with the co-worker.

The core of it is that supposedly Flynn had wanted to end the Freedom Fighters as they were, and also that he doesn't really want to finish the old story. Some of this involves certain design mandates that were his idea, not Sega's. It's confusing and I don't know how much of that is true (a lot of it seemed like conjecture), nor do I know whether or not this was Flynn wanting to steer the story in a certain direction or having to steer the story in a certain direction in order to solve some business-related problem with Archie or Sega.

The problem is that Flynn has had a hatetrain against him for a LONG time, so it's very hard to take this "exposure" seriously. I'm more skeptical of people like that than anything Flynn's supposedly doing. There are an awful lot of people like that, and I do mean "awful".

Oh, its that shit from Deviantart someone linked a while back.

Just ignore them until actual, trustworthy evidence comes forward. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Word? I remember all that mess of course, but I thought that was about something else. What I saw was a conversation that apparently happened a few days ago. I don't remember where I saw it, probably Twitter. Can't find it unfortunately, should have bookmarked it.

5 hours ago, Despatche said:

Wasnt that from that very Infamous Ian hater  person ? I have heard the person who gave him the info was pretty upset about the private convo being shared and told the dude to stop.

Ian Flynn is far from being the best writer but there is something really weird and Creepy about his hate-group , they follow Ian everywhere , obbess over anything he tweets, call him all sorts of namens , tried to get him fired , accuse him of organising the end of Archie and not caring about the Freedom Fighters and all because they miss the old book and pre-Archie characters and stories. 

And They claim Flynn of being a sjw for having gay characters in the book and for haiting Sally.

((While at the same time trying to get Ken Penders back into the book who also tried to have gay characters into the Sonic book and tried killing Sally from the book forever twice. ))

17 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Again I get it the freedom fighters are not in the games, they have no value go them for game purists but again Superman has Jimmy Olson who did not originate form the comics, hell Amy Rose came from a japanese sonic comic and not the games.

These characters matter to someone you know.

Me i refuse to buy any IDW sonic comic until they return in some form or fashion, I am doing it on principle.

But thats just my opinion, you want beloved characters under the bus fine but there is always another side of the coin.

And yes legacy is important to me, respecting and honouring the past of a franchise should not be looked down upon especially in a franchise as fragile as Sonic

Dude, I love the Archie FF. Antoine is one of my favorite Sonic character from any continuity.

But I also know he had his time, and new characters deserve their time too.

• Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Red said:

Is there a release date for #15 yet? Keen to know where this new metallic virus arc is going!

I think its on March 20th.

I finally read all of the comic in it's full during class up to this newest issue and it is really good, while yes it does have separate arcs, it seems like this is intended to be one long story which i like a lot hopefully the end of this is satisfying especially with how they are writing Eggman and metal sonic. I think after this stoyline we'll get new villains, as this is a slow burn arc and maybe we'll get more along the way.

20 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Come to think of it anyone know if the annual is still coming out this month?

it is coming out april 10th it is just on pre order rn

I'm still confused by starlines comment after eggman chocked him. He says. I.....can't? In what why was he saying this?

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I'm still confused by starlines comment after eggman chocked him. He says. I.....can't? In what why was he saying this?

Eggman said "Don't let it happen again". Starline's reply meant he literally wouldn't be able to do it again (kill Sonic twice), because Sonic was dead. Then Eggman explained he was still was alive.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Eggman said "Don't let it happen again". Starline's reply meant he literally wouldn't be able to do it again (kill Sonic twice), because Sonic was dead. Then Eggman explained he was still was alive.

So Starline was kinda being a bit of a smartass, lol

10 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

So Starline was kinda being a bit of a smartass, lol

I don't see how? He was stating a fact that it's hard to kill someone again.

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Righttttt but that was kind of stating the  obvious, 

At least I hope its intended because that would bring a bit of humor in his character.

27 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Righttttt but that was kind of stating the  obvious, 

At least I hope its intended because that would bring a bit of humor in his character.

It came off more like he was confused by Eggman telling him not to let it happen again to me.

14 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

And They claim Flynn of being a sjw for having gay characters in the book and for haiting Sally.

...What?

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Essentially.

I get the feeling that, for all his claim to fame of making a career out of following Eggman's campaign, Starline doesn't understand the magnitude of why he and Sonic are such persistent enemies.

I love eggman saying he needs to beat sonic and that honestly if he wanted to eggman could literally kill sonic any day he wanted to. But he wants to show him hes better first

33 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I love eggman saying he needs to beat sonic and that honestly if he wanted to eggman could literally kill sonic any day he wanted to. But he wants to show him hes better first

It's cute he thinks that. XD

27 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

It's cute he thinks that. XD

Not really.

He could legit just like take sonic by surprise and like fire a deadly lazer at him while he's not noticing and turn him to ash or something. A bunch of characters could just off sonic if they wanted , most of them are friendly or at least content with his existence and eggman wants to clown on him. I mean he kept him alive during that 6months in forces , he could have killed him, he didn't. Its about more than that with him

You have to remember eggman has multiple egg fleets, bases, canons in space. Eggman for all purposes could literally as he stated carpet bomb sonic if he wanted. And even if sonic escaped most the blast his friends would most likely not be able to.

If Sonic Labryinth is canon, Eggman knows where Sonic's house is. He could glass that whole area while he's asleep

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

17 hours ago, Adamis said:

Dude, I love the Archie FF. Antoine is one of my favorite Sonic character from any continuity.

But I also know he had his time, and new characters deserve their time too.

So what you want to bury the past?

Anything old needs to stay dead?

I think you give up too easy.

I will never forget them and i will never bury them.

Not in a million years.

I will take the Rick Astley approach, but no worries no rickroll here.

I am however dedicated, but hey you want a shovel I wont lend you one, plenty at home depo :D

11 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

So what you want to bury the past?

Anything old needs to stay dead?

I think you give up too easy.

I will never forget them and i will never bury them.

Not in a million years.

I will take the Rick Astley approach, but no worries no rickroll here.

As a wise, epectation subverting man once wrote: Let the past die, kill it if you have to

• Thumbs Up 1