Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

I feel Eggman's attitude in the latest issue is another prime example of the most important aspect of his character: His enormous ego has always been his biggest undoing. Just about every incarnation, no matter how goofy or terrifying, has gotten at least one opportunity to easily bump off Sonic, but chose not to because it "wouldn't be fun".

SatAM: Letting Sonic into the Doomsday base so he could see it for himself.

AoStH: Openly admitting he'd rather keep Sonic in a dungeon to taunt him for the rest of his life.

OVA: Could've turned the fake generator into an actual bomb and remotely detonate it when Sonic got in range, but he chose to just bluff so he could complete Metal Sonic, who'd theoretically beat Sonic at his own game.

Pre-reboot Archie: Revealed around issue 175 that he'd been toying with the Freedom Fighters all along for his amusement.

Fleetway: Literally became a reality-warping god at one point, but chose to use his powers solely to mess with Sonic, until he goaded Robotnik into restoring Knuckles as his ally, which proved to be his undoing.

X and Boom: Didn't really want to kill Sonic, but would occasionally try it for opportunity's sake.

Eggman is a legitimate threat, more than capable of conquering the world if he dealt with his enemies practically. But as Amy once told him in StC: "Sonic's not your worst enemy. YOU are!" 

But between this and his hilariously-sadistic experiments with the animals, I think IDW's Eggman is gonna be a fine balance of endearing and formidable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 6:36 PM, SBR2 said:

Wow that is an overreaction. You can like Pre-Reboot Archie dude. Hell I don't even hate a lot of Pre-Reboot Archie I just don't see it as the kind of thing I immediately think of when I think of Sonic.

Unfortunately, it doesn't come across like it,since you constantly need to bring up the Pre-Reboot to justify how better IDW is to you.

It's better taking risks and fail that not trying at all just because one is afraid of making mistakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

So what you want to bury the past?

Anything old needs to stay dead?

I think you give up too easy.

I will never forget them and i will never bury them.

Not in a million years.

I will take the Rick Astley approach, but no worries no rickroll here.

I am however dedicated, but hey you want a shovel I wont lend you one, plenty at home depo :D

I personally think there is a place for them in the classic franchise, they would have to be rebooted yet again but still, I really don't see them for modern Sonic. So no, I really don't want them here, this book is nothing like Archie, it's a fresh new start and should continue to be like that, it couldn't possibly be more different.

*IF* a classic cartoon happens, I could see the Freedom Fighters in that, maybe...

And it's not like all things from the past have to die, it's just that IMO the Freedom Fighters are not relevant anymore, AND they've had a good life, surely they can't live forever. I know Sonic can't live forever either. 

I really want to end this FF debate because I don't see how it fits into IDW. Let's talk about what is actually in this comic. Let's speculate about Tangle and Whisper for example.

Plus I loved that Luke quote, but I don't think it fits here entirely, I don't want ALL of the past to die...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I personally think there is a place for them in the classic franchise, they would have to be rebooted yet again but still, I really don't see them for modern Sonic.

*IF* a classic cartoon happens, I could see the Freedom Fighters in that, maybe...

I really want to end this FF debate because I don't see how it fits into IDW. Let's talk about what is actually in this comic. Let's speculate about  Whisper for example.

That seems somewhat fair.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Foxthefox1000 said:

Starline is gay for Eggman.

Nothing else to add; it just is.

I would actually love to see a gay relationship in a mainstream Sonic story, if a Sonic comic writer commits to it then mad props here (and yes that goes for Ian as well)

Sure its for a villain but hey I am all for gay villains if done properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

I would actually love to see a gay relationship in a mainstream Sonic story, if a Sonic comic writer commits to it then mad props here (and yes that goes for Ian as well)

Sure its for a villain but hey I am all for gay villains if done properly.

Honestly? This would be the best potential way to do it. They don't even have to make it obvious; keep Starline as he is but maybe have a few gags where it's super clear he's got a huge villain boner for Eggie. I also never said it had to be reciprocated.

The only other thing I can see maybe coming up would be one of the side or less relevant characters, or the EXTREMELY bold move of touching upon Tails and Sonic's relationship in a story arc of Tails maturing and finding himself, as he's really the only character people have made jokes about being gay due to his idolizing of Sonic being taken to an extreme as well as him being "feminine". But beyond Tails, I don't see any other major character having that related to them at all besides a "Okay, that's cool" moment, unless they suddenly have Rouge putting the hormones on gals, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted the thought before, and my timing is off right now with where the topic has gone, but I still feel like a good use for the Freedom Fighters was for Knuckles and Amy to hand off the Resistance to them so that could back to being like they are in the games. Right now I still feel that would work since now the Restoration is a thing and it would be a nice way to give them a role but not make them take over the story. Of course I also think Amy's position in the Resistance even of she were to leave and let the FFS take it over would be a good way to introduce Sticks who only really trusts Amy as she could have important information but wouldn't share it with anyone else due to her paranoia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foxthefox1000 said:

Starline is gay for Eggman.

Nothing else to add; it just is.

Sure, why not.

43 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I've posted the thought before, and my timing is off right now with where the topic has gone, but I still feel like a good use for the Freedom Fighters was for Knuckles and Amy to hand off the Resistance to them so that could back to being like they are in the games. Right now I still feel that would work since now the Restoration is a thing and it would be a nice way to give them a role but not make them take over the story. Of course I also think Amy's position in the Resistance even of she were to leave and let the FFS take it over would be a good way to introduce Sticks who only really trusts Amy as she could have important information but wouldn't share it with anyone else due to her paranoia.

Pretty fitting way of handling it. 

I mean, it arguably makes them a bigger force than they originally were, but then this is Sonic we're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Also if we're being real here if Eggman had used common sense there would be no plot. 

Pretty much

Not to take away from the numerous plotissues in a lot of the games. But it sort of rely's on eggman being a man of spectacle. And sonic being a guy who doesn't care for getting rid of him permanently. This is how this cat and needle mouse game is played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

I feel Eggman's attitude in the latest issue is another prime example of the most important aspect of his character: His enormous ego has always been his biggest undoing. Just about every incarnation, no matter how goofy or terrifying, has gotten at least one opportunity to easily bump off Sonic, but chose not to because it "wouldn't be fun".

SatAM: Letting Sonic into the Doomsday base so he could see it for himself.

AoStH: Openly admitting he'd rather keep Sonic in a dungeon to taunt him for the rest of his life.

OVA: Could've turned the fake generator into an actual bomb and remotely detonate it when Sonic got in range, but he chose to just bluff so he could complete Metal Sonic, who'd theoretically beat Sonic at his own game.

Pre-reboot Archie: Revealed around issue 175 that he'd been toying with the Freedom Fighters all along for his amusement.

Fleetway: Literally became a reality-warping god at one point, but chose to use his powers solely to mess with Sonic, until he goaded Robotnik into restoring Knuckles as his ally, which proved to be his undoing.

X and Boom: Didn't really want to kill Sonic, but would occasionally try it for opportunity's sake.

Eggman is a legitimate threat, more than capable of conquering the world if he dealt with his enemies practically. But as Amy once told him in StC: "Sonic's not your worst enemy. YOU are!" 

But between this and his hilariously-sadistic experiments with the animals, I think IDW's Eggman is gonna be a fine balance of endearing and formidable.

That's what makes him work. He's just as much in his own way as Sonic is. It's one of the things that make these characters endearing IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 4:48 AM, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Dude, that stuff is on the absolute low end of the worst Penders has done and no where near as damaging to Sonic’s identity as what Sega has done.

 

eh I got to disagree. no mather how dumb and bad Shadow the Hedgehog game is, how cringy and terrible the dialog is in Sonic Lost Worlds,  and how bad Sonic 06 is, it still beats Sonic dating his best friend's crush and then rubbing that fact into his parents how Tails worships him anyway so its okay, 
Or that time when they took a strong headed princess like Sally and write her out to be selfish girl who cries whirpool of tears because she cant handle anything without her boyfriend, and makes him choose between her and saving the world,
and there is this

1716218547_images(5).jpg.0cebd9b957881a688cccb400769ea5f2.jpg* and this isn't even mentioning the stuff Penders wrote because that would take a few pages more then this

 

One of the things I really wanted was to see Infinte in the IDW book because I would have loved seeing him interact with Starline, 
If Starline plays the ''parallel role'' of being the Tails to Eggman (or..the Amy Rose to Eggman I wont judge)
I like to imagine Infinite being a parallel role as the Knuckles for Eggman.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Starline would be that interesting if he was mindlessly following Eggman.

I do appreciate that he is a sort of fanboy of the doc, but I think his character could develop in a different direction if he were to became desillusioned by the way Eggman works, such as him wanting to prove superior before obtaining the victory.

Think of like how Dr. Evil's biological son would prefer the more practical solution over his father's more flashy (and ridiculous) plots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sean said:

Oh for fuck's sake we're not doing this again.

I'm wiping this entire last page for derailing the thread. Enough with this "x character should kill y character" garbage. This is a series for children

Not trynna be rude or nothing

But uh, The writer of this comic Kind of made it a thing. And is probably gonna continue being a theme through this comic it seems, so I mean it just seems like unless you are gonna restrict discussion of certain issues of the comic , past or future it just seems like you gonna keep being annoyed. I think my stance is been made clear on this " I don't think that should have been the conflict brought up in the first place " but it is, and sonic's actions having repercussions seems like on some level gonna matter so. I feel like you are gonna have to deal with more of this infuture.

 

Unless you are just gonna ban Shadow issue talk in future?

edit: To be honest, are you just gonna avoid all shadow talk in general? Because him being the violent sometimes muder-ey guy is kind of his thing. Heck you can't say that its in the past, because it popped up in the last game. It seems as though you have an issue with the series being multifaceted in its presentation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Not trynna be rude or nothing

But uh, The writer of this comic Kind of made it a thing. And is probably gonna continue being a theme through this comic it seems, so I mean it just seems like unless you are gonna restrict discussion of certain issues of the comic , past or future it just seems like you gonna keep being annoyed. I think my stance is been made clear on this " I don't think that should have been the conflict brought up in the first place " but it is, and sonic's actions having repercussions seems like on some level gonna matter so. I feel like you are gonna have to deal with more of this infuture.

 

Unless you are just gonna ban Shadow issue talk in future?

edit: To be honest, are you just gonna avoid all shadow talk in general? Because him being the violent sometimes muder-ey guy is kind of his thing. Heck you can't say that its in the past, because it popped up in the last game. It seems as though you have an issue with the series being multifaceted in its presentation. 

Maybe the mods are just sick of the fact that nearly every month, this topic is derailed to talk about why Sonic sucks, why Shadow is amazing and why Shadow should be able to one shot each and every person. Not to mention it’s been brought up time and time again to the same arguments and counter arguments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Maybe the mods are just sick of the fact that nearly every month, this topic is derailed to talk about why Sonic sucks, why Shadow is amazing and why Shadow should be able to one shot each and every person. Not to mention it’s been brought up time and time again to the same arguments and counter arguments.

Then just ban dash speed. He's the only one who's makng those arguments.  And this isn't about that, its about why does heroman muder villian man. Which you can argue a ridiculous sentiment to bring up if. Sega doesn't keep doing it themselves with shadow, and just did it again with eggman which was what the conversation is about.  And the only argument with shadow that keeps being brought up with is the thing with sonic last year which was about murder. And I think it wasn't written that great( and shouldn't have been writen at all to avoid all this ) but it was, and it exists. And discussion will be he had.

So like if this element of sonic that keeps being brought up through official sega channels both in game and in supplementary material is making you miserable because it keeps being discussed why are you a moderator on a sonic site, because its gonna keep bring brought up. 

This isn't some gate keeping thing either, my presence in the sonic fanbase is as of currently damn near nonexistant at this point because it keeps doing shit I do not like and sometimes discussion of such  is making me miserable. My interests mostly lie elsewhere these days besides forum posts. I'm the only one who can find my own happyness, and if you are modering a site that is a fan site for a franshise that keeps producing shit that creates conversation that makes you miserable. Why, what did you expect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.