Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

it still beats Sonic dating his best friend's crush and then rubbing that fact into his parents how Tails worships him anyway so its okay, 

He was only saying that Tails would understand him having to keep them on lockdown for the time being and even if he didn't, that he'd be able to get to understand because of the hero worship.

It was Tails who brought up the thing with Fiona during their fight, who was just a longer term extension of how Sonic hasn't been taking his feelings into consideration.

and there is this

1716218547_images(5).jpg.0cebd9b957881a688cccb400769ea5f2.jpg* and this isn't even mentioning the stuff Penders wrote because that would take a few pages more then this

Actually, that was Romy Chacon. Mr. Penders had almost nothing to do with Mammoth Mogul and Tails's Destiny.

One of the things I really wanted was to see Infinte in the IDW book because I would have loved seeing him interact with Starline, 
If Starline plays the ''parallel role'' of being the Tails to Eggman (or..the Amy Rose to Eggman I wont judge)
I like to imagine Infinite being a parallel role as the Knuckles for Eggman.  

Hm...not sure that parallel lines up that well, but whatever. They both have egos at least.

20 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

He was only saying that Tails would understand him having to keep them on lockdown for the time being and even if he didn't, that he'd be able to get to understand because of the hero worship.

It was Tails who brought up the thing with Fiona during their fight, who was just a longer term extension of how Sonic hasn't been taking his feelings into consideration.

Actually, that was Romy Chacon. Mr. Penders had almost nothing to do with Mammoth Mogul and Tails's Destiny.

Hm...not sure that parallel lines up that well, but whatever. They both have egos at least.

sigh.... Please re-read the part next to the panel: * and this isn't even mentioning the stuff Penders wrote because that would take a few pages more then this.

Not of the story bits I mentioned was from Penders, House of Cards was written by Ian Flynn and Sally Slaps Sonic was written by Karl Bollers. My point was if I would bring up the bad things Penders wrote it would be several pages long. 

That part of the lock-down still came of as very selfish and Sonic was very obvious/out of character unaware that  he hurt Tails with Fiona even admitting he saw Fiona as someone to help him heal from hurting by his breakup with Sally.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

edit: To be honest, are you just gonna avoid all shadow talk in general? 

Hey, that's what I generally do.

29 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

sigh.... Please re-read the part next to the panel: * and this isn't even mentioning the stuff Penders wrote because that would take a few pages more then this.

Not of the story bits I mentioned was from Penders, House of Cards was written by Ian Flynn and Sally Slaps Sonic was written by Karl Bollers. My point was if I would bring up the bad things Penders wrote it would be several pages long. 

Ah, gotcha.

I misunderstood.

30 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

That part of the lock-down still came of as very selfish and Sonic was very obvious/out of character unaware that  he hurt Tails with Fiona 

Uh, it's been a while, but was Tails's crush on Fiona something Sonic was generally conscious of?

Oh and the lockdown wasn't Sonic being selfish so much as a bit of a brash dick.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Ah, gotcha.

I misunderstood.

Uh, it's been a while, but was Tails's crush on Fiona something Sonic was generally conscious of?

Oh and the lockdown wasn't Sonic being selfish so much as a bit of a brash dick.

Good point, that was also my issue with Sonic.Him just being a dick most of the times.

And yes he was, (correct me if Im wrong) but I remember two instances one where Sonic thinks to himself that he is aware Tails has a crush on Fiona and that he wanted to prevent Tails from embarrassing himself   to flirt with a much older woman, another one where he thinks to himself again as he sees Tails giving Fiona a drink at the party and he thinks to himself that Tails is confusing older Fiona with Robot Fiona. Near the end of House of Cards Sonic even tells Tails that he was aware how much Fiona meant to Tails but that she had no intrest in him and hoped he would move on if he hooked up with her.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Oh for fuck's sake we're not doing this again.

I'm wiping this entire last page for derailing the thread. Enough with this "x character should kill y character" garbage. This is a series for children

Death happens in kids' series more often than you think.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hey good strat not gonna lie

I'm with @Kellodrawsalot nothing in the games really hits anything of the embarassing and sometimes problematic stuff that has come off out of a very specific era of the comic. Its not all on penders. I mentioned before how the future arc should have been strait dropped but Ian thought he could pull more out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

I would actually love to see a gay relationship in a mainstream Sonic story, if a Sonic comic writer commits to it then mad props here (and yes that goes for Ian as well)

Sure its for a villain but hey I am all for gay villains if done properly.

I have a feeling the fact it’s a human/anthro romance may be an issue there.

Pretty sure Ian has said at least once that’s a subject he has no intention of going anywhere near.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Pretty sure Ian has said at least once that’s a subject he has no intention of going anywhere near.

True he did say that years ago, I personally find that to be a bit silly and ironic since SOJ always toyed with the idea of giving Sonic a human girlfriend various times.

17 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Death happens in kids' series more often than you think.

Disney Deaths all the way, mang.

Every character who dies in this comic should always done so by falling off a cliff, that way everyone wins.

Yeah there's a difference between most death you see in kid's stuff and uh, straight up murdering someone, especially as one of the heroes.

I'm not really against Shadow wanting to end Eggman in theory but it kind of feels like it came out of nowhere? Like I know Forces just happened but Shadow wasn't exactly gunning for him before that despite...everything he had already done. The actual point is that obviously it wasn't going to happen considering what the series is generally like, and while there's discussion to be had there I mostly just don't like the idea of throwing Sonic under the bus for it. Like, I think he should (and probably does/will) feel bad about what happened but more so because he hadn't been keeping enough of a track of what was going on with Tinker.

"Oh he should have just let Shadow do whatever" is stupid for a lot of reasons, one being that in context Eggman literally didn't have his memories and was for all intents and purposes a different person. To the audience that obviously wasn't going to stick but that doesn't really matter for the characters. If Shadow had done it it mostly would have been for revenge at that point, and well he kinda already learned a lesson about that didn't he?

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

I'm not really against Shadow wanting to end Eggman in theory but it kind of feels like it came out of nowhere? Like I know Forces just happened but Shadow wasn't exactly gunning for him before that despite...everything he had already done. The actual point is that obviously it wasn't going to happen considering what the series is generally like, and while there's discussion to be had there

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think forces matters or mattered to the plot as much people think it did. Everything that happened, even the stuff with shadow can basically be isolated events. The only thing I think this comic does with it is " The resistance exists " ( which is so basic a concept ... it doesn't need forces there ) and starline explains where the chaos emeralds were in that game. Otherwise.... eh.

So characters having completely different motivations doesn't surprise me because the story used very little of forces anyway. This is on top of characters in forces besides vert basic " Stop the bad " had.. no motivation or interesting thoughts period besides infinite. Might as well just make up your own stuff at this point.

I mostly just don't like the idea of throwing Sonic under the bus for it. Like, I think he should (and probably does/will) feel bad about what happened but more so because he hadn't been keeping enough of a track of what was going on with Tinker.

I think its a genuinely great idea to throw sonic directly under several busses. You want to keep a highly murderous dictator around because he lost his memory. Dope, you have to make sure he doesn't become that person again. And he didn't think about any of that responsibility, and now he has to deal with all that. And its a lot more than just feeling bad,  its understanding why he fucked up. Peoples lives are in danger and shit, i'm sure those people take solace in sonic feeling bad. And what better place for introspection than under buss. Nice and cozy , can get some good alone thinking time underthere.

Not only do I think its good, I think sonic should be thrown under several busses more often. He' s a 16 year old kid and doesn't know everthing, he's cocky and every once in a while, life whether its in the form of a friend or an enemy should literally clock him in the fucking face right under a buss. I think its a good thing for his character, and why boom was the most interesting interpretation of sonic in years. In an age where a lot of our protagonists are crying weird dorks, sonic having flaws would actually evolve him into more of a modern hero. And what better place to start than being wrong.

"Oh he should have just let Shadow do whatever" is stupid for a lot of reasons, one being that in context Eggman literally didn't have his memories and was for all intents and purposes a different person. To the audience that obviously wasn't going to stick but that doesn't really matter for the characters. If Shadow had done it it mostly would have been for revenge at that point, and well he kinda already learned a lesson about that didn't he?

He learned the lesson of " don't punish everyone or people who aren't involved for the things that happened specifically to you " shadow in that moment and probably still now views eggman as a liability and is willing to off him if need be. Its not about revenge its a practicality situation, or pragmatism I suppose. And eggman having no memories is still kind of a hard sell. Also a bit of head canon here, I think shadow wanting to do it means a lot more than everyone else wanting to do it. No matter how bad eggman is, the reason shadow is awake right now is because of eggman, the reason that shadow healed as fast as he did is because of eggman. Shadow's the kind of guy who's willing to hang out with you despite bad guy or former bad guy status if you are truly down. So I think the thing flynn was for, even though I think its a bad premise to begin with and I sort of agree with you that shadow's past it, is that shadow saying keeping him around is a bad idea means a lot more than anyone else saying it,

And then the book by vurtue of having to keep the status quo not only proved it was a hard sell, proved that shadow was right. Which is my problem with entire scenario in the first place which was " Hey Ian why did you write a story that by virtue of the brand will basically endorse  murder " . But he did and we are here I guess.

3 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

I've never really gotten Ian's hang up with that. It's a completely alternate reality with anthropomorphic sentient animal people that are basically human. It's not different than a human in a relationship with an alien. 

5 hours ago, Celestia said:

Yeah there's a difference between most death you see in kid's stuff and uh, straight up murdering someone, especially as one of the heroes.

I'm not really against Shadow wanting to end Eggman in theory but it kind of feels like it came out of nowhere? Like I know Forces just happened but Shadow wasn't exactly gunning for him before that despite...everything he had already done. The actual point is that obviously it wasn't going to happen considering what the series is generally like, and while there's discussion to be had there I mostly just don't like the idea of throwing Sonic under the bus for it. Like, I think he should (and probably does/will) feel bad about what happened but more so because he hadn't been keeping enough of a track of what was going on with Tinker.

Mr. Tinker is a glorious soul and the world is poorer now that he's gone.

R.I.P
Mr. Tinker
2018~2018

Anyway, I tend to agree. I don't have a problem with the subject being brought up and I found the conflict interesting as a specific way to interpret the differences between Sonic and Shadow. Though, personally, I've always viewed Shadow as someone who had a bit of respect for Eggman, even if they technically weren't on the same side. That's probably because in the age of the games' stories being a bit more consistent than they are now, Shadow would always refer to him as "The Doctor" and actively seek him out when he needed to talk. Even in Sonic 06, they fight at the start of his story but then later, they're shown casually having a chat in his train. Shadow shows up and Eggman's reaction isn't hostile like it is with Sonic. He just sits in his chair and goes "Oh. It's you. So what do you want now?" 

Even though I enjoyed the issues in question, if it were me, I probably would have given the role of wanting to off Eggman to Omega. The guy who actually wants to off Eggman. Then Sonic comes to some sort of compromise with him about a loophole concerning the fact that since he's Mr. Tinker, technically Eggman is dead. And then Omega backs off reluctantly but promises to burn him alive if he ever returns to normal. Or something. Have Shadow be there to get his introduction out of the way as he'll have his chance to shine in the Metal Master Overlord thing. And Rouge's role is the same. It's always great seeing her play the manipulator. 

That's assuming they could even use Omega though. I don't know what restrictions they have or had but he's clearly okay to use in some eventual capacity if they were given the okay to put him on one of the variant covers. 

As for Sonic, the only thing I feel he (and the others by extension) did wrong was leave him in a position to get kidnapped... but then again, they were dealing with Mr. Roberto Overlord at the time so whatever.

I would make the argument that despite dealing with the overlord you still need people to watch him. Eggman is dangerous and if you are gonna keep him around, you gotta make precautions and there wasn't any excuse for that. While Omega wanting to kill eggman is something that makes sense, I would like to state again I think the idea of it was, shadow's pragmatic. Even if I don't think the story is good, I get the idea.

That said there's actually a very funny way, they could could flip that story in a way that pulls the wool over all of our eyes. Hopefully Ian flynn remembers the diction used in that story, or lack their off. As for rouge, whatever shadow is rant or whatever is coming, she probably she be pointed at for being partially at fault for this too.

Or it wont get acknowledged it wasn't that good of a story in the first place and it will be quickly moved past and sonic will look like kinda of a sociopath

34 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Or it wont get acknowledged it wasn't that good of a story in the first place and it will be quickly moved past and sonic will look like kinda of a sociopath

Wants to give second chances=sociopath

Okay.

35 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I would make the argument that despite dealing with the overlord you still need people to watch him. Eggman is dangerous and if you are gonna keep him around, you gotta make precautions and there wasn't any excuse for that. While Omega wanting to kill eggman is something that makes sense, I would like to state again I think the idea of it was, shadow's pragmatic. Even if I don't think the story is good, I get the idea.

Why not have Omega stick around then? That would also be why he doesn't participate in the final battle. 

Or just hire some Resistence soldiers to watch over him.

I mean, Rough and Tumble would have beaten them up and took Eggman anyway but... eh.

By the way, I gotta reiterate just how much I love Sonic in this comic. I was worried when I heard Ian was back because I thought he was gonna play up "the jerk" over "the fun" but its been the total opposite and I couldn't be more grateful. He's actually cool when he's so chill and not such a try hard. 

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Has Omega actually shown up yet...

I need to know, but only if interested...

He was in issue 9's cover but he never showed up.

Though if I recall correctly one of the Bumblekasts mentioned that he and Cream could be making their debut this year (year 2).

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Okay.

Why not have Omega stick around then? That would also be why he doesn't participate in the final battle. 

That was sonic's responsibility to figure that out. And we don't know where omega is.

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

By the way, I gotta reiterate just how much I love Sonic in this comic. I was worried when I heard Ian was back because I thought he was gonna play up "the jerk" over "the fun" but its been the total opposite and I couldn't be more grateful. He's actually cool when he's so chill and not such a try hard. 

People writing sonic to be a horrible asshole I feel don't get the character, or don't care about teh characters he's interact with enough to not write him that way. So yeah i'm glad he's not that

I wonder if the virus could effect Omega to make him slave for  Eggman .

Then maybe Tails could develop anti virus program for Omega's system to help fight the virus that infected him . It would be good seeing Omega resisting the virus .

10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Or just hire some Resistence soldiers to watch over him.

I mean, Rough and Tumble would have beaten them up and took Eggman anyway but... eh.

That reminds me of Senator Edd's suggestion.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That was sonic's responsibility to figure that out.

Ah, so you meant irresponsible.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

And we don't know where omega is.

I meant in the hypothetical scenario whoever it was suggested.

35 minutes ago, Gumbit said:

I wonder if the virus could effect Omega to make him slave for  Eggman .

Then maybe Tails could develop anti virus program for Omega's system to help fight the virus that infected him . It would be good seeing Omega resisting the virus .

That brings up an interesting point--in SATAM(or was it Undergound?) roboticizing a robot had it malfunction and go on the offensive, while Archie just had them straight up explode. I wonder how this virus would affect robots, if at all.

So just wanted to confirm since issue 15 is supposed to be out next week if we are getting previews this Wednesday?

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So just wanted to confirm since issue 15 is supposed to be out next week if we are getting previews this Wednesday?

Right now.

Spoiler

tumblr_po9f58FI521rplhyso1_1280.jpg

tumblr_po9f58FI521rplhyso2_1280.jpg

tumblr_po9f58FI521rplhyso3_1280.jpg

Jack Lawrence is the artist for this, his Sonic looks odd but expressive at times!

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Right now.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_po9f58FI521rplhyso1_1280.jpg

tumblr_po9f58FI521rplhyso2_1280.jpg

tumblr_po9f58FI521rplhyso3_1280.jpg

Jack Lawrence is the artist for this, his Sonic looks odd but expressive at times!

Cool.

Spoiler

I don't think it's the character model that's off so much as I think its the irises. They're a little too round and short making Amy look a little cross-eyed in a couple of panels. Other than that it's looking like this issue will be a bit slower on the build up than the last one so hopefully they'll be some good payoff.

Oh man, a casual convo between lovebirds...

I never thought I'd see the day, because...it never happens.