Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Personally I've always been a fan of his cartoony style. I think he manages to make his style work for drama pretty well 144 and that one Scourge backup immediately spring to mind.

I can see why he's not everyone's cup of tea but I love his wild crazy style especially it came in at a point when the book had like next to no personality in its art.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Cream and Cheese fans? Incredible.

If there was no room, that's believable.

Positive addressment.

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

"Everyone I care about is on that cover! YAY!"

"But Cream is miss-"

"EVERYONE I CARE ABOUT! WHOOO~!"

Sorry Cream. I'm so mean. I don't hate you. I promise.

There's fans for just about anyone and anything, so hush. 

It was gonna come up anyway since literally hero character plus Whisper, each Wisp, and two random Chao are on there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

There's fans for just about anyone and anything, so hush. 

I didn't say there weren't. Plus, I added that addendum at the end for a reason. I just really wanted to make that mean joke. If it were anyone else, they wouldn't have apologized like I did anyway, so don't tell me to hush.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, StaticMania said:

What do ya mean "Plus Whisper"...as if she's an extra...

The problems are real.

Because the focus was on the game cast. I was simply trying to emphasize just how many characters are on that cover. 

Also Rule of Three. 

You didn't bring up Tangle though, the disrespect...it's just so...disrespectful.

These are wonderful additions to the cast and it just needs to be overstated.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I didn't say there weren't. Plus, I added that addendum at the end for a reason. I just really wanted to make that mean joke. If it were anyone else, they wouldn't have apologized like I did anyway, so don't tell me to hush.

*Imagine comedic I'm watching you gif here*

Two birds, one loaf. 

I love Grey's work, but I will also be the first to admit he got tabbed to do a handful of issues he had no business drawing for. His campy, cartoony style always brought a smile to my face, and he does great work with character gags, but there were some issues that focused on an emotional gut-punch scene whereas his take just stuck out like a sore thumb. There is no reason one of the other artists shouldn't have been substituted to tackle the obvious outliners.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still no Cream yet we get Big and Omega? Sigh. 

Edit: Or, erm... Was Cream confirmed to be in the issue after all? 

She wasn't confirmed to be in. Gray said her omission on the cover wasn't deliberate, it was just a space issue. 

6 hours ago, silvereye27 said:

Jon Gray was perhaps my least favourite artist on Archie Sonic. His work wasn't bad so much as it really, really didn't suit both the Sonic style and the tone of the Archie series. It just felt weird reading the issues with his art, and it often looked extremely messy.

However, this cover, looks lovely. It looks like Gray so far will be the most removed from the other artists in terms of style, but this time it looks like it is inkeeping with the book. I actually really adore the cover, it's just a nice joyful burst of colour and personality emminating from it.

Jon Gray was your least fave really? His style did bring a breath of fresh air compared the stiff art of Penders , Many Hands and Ron Lim, and in his Defense his style was cartoony which better fits Sonic then the artist who had no Idea how to draw animal cartoons, (looking at you Dave Manek and Al Bigley)

But I do agree his style often didn't dit the Tone of some of the stories , even hé seems to agree with that when you Read his rather ""this wasnt good"" comments when hé first Worked on the Infamous Sally-Slaps-Sonic issue, honestly trough the poor commucation between the artist and writers was a common problem back then. The quality control was horrible and statt didn't pay attention if one style fit a story.

Something interesting that Ian said in his latest BumbleKast (in response to a question asking if anything big's planned for Rough & Tumble) is that there's a big turning point for the characters in issue 15.

Spoiler

They are definitely getting robozombified. Bet.

So lemme guess:

Spoiler

The button detonates the backpacks, splattering the skunks and anyone nearby with the virus, which is how Sonic gets infected.

24 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

So lemme guess:

Hide contents

The button detonates the backpacks, splattering the skunks and anyone nearby with the virus, which is how Sonic gets infected.

Spoiler

Nevermind the implication that Eggman is basically hiring suicide bombers.

Yeah, soon as a button was mentioned in the case of if all else fails, it became obvious.

Y'know, this just made me realize an underlying problem with this comic:

IDW previews reveal too much. Wait, scratch that... IDW in GENERAL likes to reveal too much.

For instance, we knew the plot of Year Two since last year and that Sonic is going to get infected. Covers reveal information on which plotpoint is going to happen. And previews such as this one show what's going to happen to other characters.
They gotta keep their mouth shut sometimes, because they're the ones making everything predictable and are basically ruining the surprise for everyone.
I probably wouldn't even guess that Sonic would get infected (due to plot armor) and would've assumed that Amy would get infected or something if it wasn't revealed to us a year prior.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

IDW previews reveal too much. Wait, scratch that... IDW in GENERAL likes to reveal too much.

For instance, we knew the plot of Year Two since last year and that Sonic is going to get infected. Covers reveal information on which plotpoint is going to happen. And previews such as this one show what's going to happen to other characters.
They gotta keep their mouth shut sometimes, because they're the ones making everything predictable and are basically ruining the surprise for everyone.
I probably wouldn't even guess that Sonic would get infected (due to plot armor) and would've assumed that Amy would get infected or something if it wasn't revealed to us a year prior.

Back when I was reading the Walking Dead comics, I did not know of any solicits, there was only a 4 panels preview (not pages, panels!) only 2 days before each issue!

This was a preview for issue 125.

TWD-125-preview-1small.jpgTWD-125-preview-3small.jpgjesus-preview-panels.jpg

I mean that's cool and all, but almost every other comic ever does previews and solicitations the standard way. I can understand the frustration with covers, but the previews and solicits (as in the summaries) are really easy to avoid if you don't want to see 'em.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So eggman doesnt care for their safety

Spoiler

You know, I'm starting to get the feeling this Eggman guy isn't a very nice person. 😕

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 4

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Something interesting that Ian said in his latest BumbleKast (in response to a question asking if anything big's planned for Rough & Tumble) is that there's a big turning point for the characters in issue 15.

Reveal hidden contents

They are definitely getting robozombified. Bet.

That's what I figured.

Still, very interesting considering how their appearances have been going thus far.

Spoiler

Payoff I don't think any of us was really expecting.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

New previews

Hide contents

latest?cb=20190318185754

latest?cb=20190318185835

I just realized we haven't seen the Shapebots in quite a while.

Also, Eggman looks like Gerald in that second panel.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:
  Hide contents

So eggman doesnt care for their safety

Why would he?

1 hour ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
  Hide contents

Nevermind the implication that Eggman is basically hiring suicide bombers.

Yeah, soon as a button was mentioned in the case of if all else fails, it became obvious.

Holy shit, I didn't even think of that!

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That's a very fair point. 

• Thumbs Up 1