Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Y'know, this just made me realize an underlying problem with this comic:

IDW previews reveal too much. Wait, scratch that... IDW in GENERAL likes to reveal too much.

For instance, we knew the plot of Year Two since last year and that Sonic is going to get infected. Covers reveal information on which plotpoint is going to happen. And previews such as this one show what's going to happen to other characters.
They gotta keep their mouth shut sometimes, because they're the ones making everything predictable and are basically ruining the surprise for everyone.
I probably wouldn't even guess that Sonic would get infected (due to plot armor) and would've assumed that Amy would get infected or something if it wasn't revealed to us a year prior.

Welcome to IDW comics. They have done this for awhile. And did not Archie Sonic do the same thing a long time ago. I doubt many younger fans will remember but I recall the sonic wiki having future cover issues and drafts and plot line details for at least the next 5 to 6 issues. Then they stopped.

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Welcome to IDW comics. They have done this for awhile. And did not Archie Sonic do the same thing a long time ago. I doubt many younger fans will remember but I recall the sonic wiki having future cover issues and drafts and plot line details for at least the next 5 to 6 issues. Then they stopped.

Yes, but they still never put massive, gigantic spoilers within the those details.

What IDW does is like if Archie came right out and said “SALLY GETS ROBOTICIZED” in the solicit for 231.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman has a new weapon...

Eggman has a plan to defeat Sonic.

That's basically what this preview is.

33 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

ya'll watch that bumblecast

Explains a lot

I'll be sure to do that when I'm playing KH3 later.

Something peak your fancy--what episode are you on? 

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'll be sure to do that when I'm playing KH3 later.

Something peak your fancy--what episode are you on? 

So uh, hmm. So to put it plainly in the Q&A had a particular Tidbit about shadow and team dark that basically explains a lot of the branding since like....generations came out. To put it simply, team dark ( none of them ) actually work for gun. Despite literally being called agents, using their stuff , and rouge basically working for them several times, none of them actually worked for them it was " coincidence " . Apparently shadow in particular because Ian was told " shadow works with no one  " and " If shadow works with someone it is to the benefit of what he desires "  , to which a rational person would go " Oh he works with gun because it benefits his desire of helping the world " but apperently the answer is " Nah that ain't it chief , never happened " .

Even weirder, this extends to team dark. Team Dark's team status is " nebulous " flynn stated. They are not a team, Shadow works with them because they are of use. Obviously this is a bit more friendly than gun, but this adds... a different perspective to the scenario I guess.

BTW flynn says that he himself was surprised at this

This is explains so much, this explains so many weird decisions. From shadow's entire everything in sonic boom, to rouge not being allowed in sonic boom, from the no mention of who shadow works for now. To team dark being declared accidentally as " Team Shadow " multiple times during team sonic racing's development. To Team Dark working for no one in forces. And little things here and there from portrayals in the comic and extra material and things like that. It makes some things make more sense, it also confirms a few suspicions of mine. Ian mentioned years ago ( around the time or a bit before he published the eclipse stories IIRC ) that sega seemed to have no idea what to do with GUN. So they just... stopped mentioning them and got rid of it. It also , confirms of some speculation I had about sega wanting to get rid of gun maybe, and some speculation I wont elaborate on for the future. All i'm gonna say is, I fear for rouge and omega

And I want to state, i'm not angry at this. I frankly find this and the answers given to be hilariously edgy. Its just weird, and what's even weirder is that it seems like sega , didn't bother to ever elaborate like what does " of use " means to shadow in either context. So they just made a thing that was nebulous but everyone came to conclusion that made sense, and then removed the conclusion . Its just really funny and I wanted to share

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ah. 

I'll be just getting to 80 I believe, due to ending up listening to 79 at least 3 times among other podcasts.

Update on the Annual from the Facebook group: delay is confirmed and the issue is currently off to the printers for an on-sale date of May 1st. The RI cover by Nathalie Fourdraine was also revealed:

XtpVeBZ.jpg

(The B cover is being held back because it features someone we haven't met yet, so yeah, Whisper and Tangle will be sharing the spotlight with a completely fresh character in their story!)

• Thumbs Up 8

Something doesn't seem right about that.

Blaze shouldn't be dealing with plants, she's a danger to the greenery.

That outfit is toppings though.

12 minutes ago, Noise Canceler CC14 said:

Update on the Annual from the Facebook group: delay is confirmed and the issue is currently off to the printers for an on-sale date of May 1st. The RI cover by Nathalie Fourdraine was also revealed:

XtpVeBZ.jpg

(The B cover is being held back because it features someone we haven't met yet, so yeah, Whisper and Tangle will be sharing the spotlight with a completely fresh character in their story!)

Cutest thing ever.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

So uh, hmm. So to put it plainly in the Q&A had a particular Tidbit about shadow and team dark that basically explains a lot of the branding since like....generations came out. To put it simply, team dark ( none of them ) actually work for gun. Despite literally being called agents, using their stuff , and rouge basically working for them several times, none of them actually worked for them it was " coincidence " . Apparently shadow in particular because Ian was told " shadow works with no one  " and " If shadow works with someone it is to the benefit of what he desires "  , to which a rational person would go " Oh he works with gun because it benefits his desire of helping the world " but apperently the answer is " Nah that ain't it chief , never happened " .

Even weirder, this extends to team dark. Team Dark's team status is " nebulous " flynn stated. They are not a team, Shadow works with them because they are of use. Obviously this is a bit more friendly than gun, but this adds... a different perspective to the scenario I guess.

BTW flynn says that he himself was surprised at this

That doesn't change too much for me. I've stated before that this is kind of how I always felt Team Dark was. Rouge seemed more like a part-timer/"we have a complicated relationship" person of interest to them. Omega was someone I was 100% certain didn't officially join in any way, shape, or form. The only one I felt might have been a full-time G.U.N agent was Shadow as they called him Agent Shadow in 06 and gave him G.U.N themed vehicles in the first two All-Stars Racing Games. I think he was an agent in Chronicles too but I'm not certain. Noticeably, he's no longer repping for G.U.N in Team Sonic Racing but I figured that could have been chalked up to simplifying the design of the car and stripping away the references to other stuff for the hell of it. 

Even still, I didn't consider Team Dark to be a team that worked for G.U.N. I always considered it to be "the thing that happens when Shadow, Rouge, and Omega decide they want to hang out". They didn't even originally form the team under G.U.N. That happened when all of them were after Eggman. Same with Team Rose and Team Sonic. They're not official sanctioned teams or anything. The only team that's really all that official is Team Chaotix and they got split up anyway despite that. So this team thing isn't that big a deal.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

This is explains so much, this explains so many weird decisions. From shadow's entire everything in sonic boom, to rouge not being allowed in sonic boom, from the no mention of who shadow works for now. To team dark being declared accidentally as " Team Shadow " multiple times during team sonic racing's development. To Team Dark working for no one in forces. And little things here and there from portrayals in the comic and extra material and things like that. It makes some things make more sense, it also confirms a few suspicions of mine. Ian mentioned years ago ( around the time or a bit before he published the eclipse stories IIRC ) that sega seemed to have no idea what to do with GUN. So they just... stopped mentioning them and got rid of it. It also , confirms of some speculation I had about sega wanting to get rid of gun maybe, and some speculation I wont elaborate on for the future. All i'm gonna say is, I fear for rouge and omega

Oh that's sad if that's true.. I can think of a ton of things to do with G.U.N. I can hardly write out the plot-line for a story idea I have without involving them in some way.

That's really, really sad. Even if you wanted to use them as fodder to show how big and strong your latest enemy is, that's still something. 

I don't fear for Rouge and Omega though. I've been given no reason to. If anything I've been presented with the opposite in the coming years, surprisingly. Omega's been showing up way more than he's been in a long while and Rouge hasn't gone anywhere. 

If there actually were a character to fear for, it'd probably be Cream, honestly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That doesn't change too much for me. I've stated before that this is kind of how I always felt Team Dark was. Rouge seemed more like a part-timer/"we have a complicated relationship" person of interest to them. Omega was someone I was 100% certain didn't officially join in any way, shape, or form. The only one I felt might have been a full-time G.U.N agent was Shadow as they called him Agent Shadow in 06 and gave him G.U.N themed vehicles in the first two All-Stars Racing Games. I think he was an agent in Chronicles too but I'm not certain. Noticeably, he's no longer repping for G.U.N in Team Sonic Racing but I figured that could have been chalked up to simplifying the design of the car and stripping away the references to other stuff for the hell of it. 

Even still, I didn't consider Team Dark to be a team that worked for G.U.N. I always considered it to be "the thing that happens when Shadow, Rouge, and Omega decide they want to hang out". They didn't even originally form the team under G.U.N. That happened when all of them were after Eggman. Same with Team Rose and Team Sonic. They're not official sanctioned teams or anything. The only team that's really all that official is Team Chaotix and they got split up anyway despite that. So this team thing isn't that big a deal.

Them not being apart of gun isn't what gets me. Ok , it kinda does, but it isn't the main reason. I can get past the gun thing, and heck outside of shadow's promise to protect earth, its less of a thing to question about his continued presence in animal land.

My issue with it, is it changes the entire tone of the situation. The assumption, whether they actually worked together for gun or not is that shadow buried the hatchet and is sort of doing happy co-operation to try and make the world a less bad place. And he found to people he liked to help him, however the phrasing " Shadow finds them of use " or rather I think its " To benifit his own ends " brings an edge to it, I don't actually want for shadow. It sounds less like he grew as a person and more so like Sonic team doesn't want shadow to work for anyone... missing the entire point of that characters arc. And given some recent events... I wouldn't really put it past them.

Like I said, I ain't furious or nothing. Its just hilariously edgy and explains a lot. 

Oh that's sad if that's true.. I can think of a ton of things to do with G.U.N. I can hardly write out the plot-line for a story idea I have without involving them in some way.

That's really, really sad. Even if you wanted to use them as fodder to show how big and strong your latest enemy is, that's still something. 

I don't fear for Rouge and Omega though. I've been given no reason to. If anything I've been presented with the opposite in the coming years, surprisingly. Omega's been showing up way more than he's been in a long while and Rouge hasn't gone anywhere. 

If there actually were a character to fear for, it'd probably be Cream, honestly. 

I don't think its that said. Gun as an entity's purpose was't practical it was to represent something, and now they aren't telling those types of stories, and they aren't in that world... makes sense they would get rid of it. I always found people wanting " Shadow and the agents of gun " odd and missing the point. You aren't supposed to give a shit about who's working at gun, they are an entity to reprisent a thing and that's all you are supposed to care about them. So i'm not to sad about this

As for Omega and Rouge, i'll reiterate this and leave it at this. I think sonic boom was  a bit more representative of where they want to go with this franchise than some people realize. I think we are gonna see more of shadow, but I genuinely think they are gonna push him more of being alone. And because of this... you just wont see the other two as often, unless shadow specifically needs a team for nothing. But i could be wrong, i'm just pessimistic about sega. Can you blame me

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think its that said. Gun as an entity's purpose was't practical it was to represent something, and now they aren't telling those types of stories, and they aren't in that world... makes sense they would get rid of it. I always found people wanting " Shadow and the agents of gun " odd and missing the point. You aren't supposed to give a shit about who's working at gun, they are an entity to reprisent a thing and that's all you are supposed to care about them. So i'm not to sad about this

As for Omega and Rouge, i'll reiterate this and leave it at this. I think sonic boom was  a bit more representative of where they want to go with this franchise than some people realize. I think we are gonna see more of shadow, but I genuinely think they are gonna push him more of being alone. And because of this... you just wont see the other two as often, unless shadow specifically needs a team for nothing. But i could be wrong, i'm just pessimistic about sega. Can you blame me.

Whether you like G.U.N or not, their loss in and of itself isn't what I find sad. The idea that they supposedly couldn't think of anything to do with them is what I find sad, if it is indeed true. Whether they felt they fit their new ... ahem "direction" or not, isn't the problem. There's a ton of stuff they could have done. Especially if you're someone who cares about utilizing what you have for the foreseeable future. I don't really know what any individual person's perception of G.U.N is. Maybe you think they only exist to represent something and that you're not supposed to care about them. I don't necessarily agree with that but whatever. I just find the very idea that they couldn't think of anything to be a little pathetic. 

I don't bring this up to go into my own personal opinions about G.U.N. Reading what you just said there we clearly have extremely different points of view concerning what their purpose and utilization within the series could be but talking about that isn't really my intention.

As for Rouge and Omega, considering the fact that I'm seeing more of them nowadays, I can't say I see this point of view either. Like, Sonic Boom made for a funny little cartoon but it had two seasons and then it died. The comics didn't make it past Issue 11 even though the Sonic X comics made it to Issue 40 long after the show had ended. And the games were dead on arrival. I don't see anything from there being represented in what they're doing now at all. Even Sonic Forces, for as much as that game pissed me off, wasn't anywhere near as "Isn't this fucking stupid? Let's make fun of how fucking stupid our series is" as the games before it were. It was also the first game in over a decade where a mainstream game let us play as someone other than Sonic and another version of Sonic. Through free DLC, mind you, but it still happened.

I don't know what they're planning to do but if there's anything I can at least feel a tad more optimistic about is the fact that they certainly don't have any obvious or outward intentions of abandoning these characters. They clearly don't know what to do with them though, which is also really sad on that front too. 

• Absolutely 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Whether you like G.U.N or not, their loss in and of itself isn't what I find sad. The idea that they supposedly couldn't think of anything to do with them is what I find sad, if it is indeed true. Whether they felt they fit their new ... ahem "direction" or not, isn't the problem. There's a ton of stuff they could have done. Especially if you're someone who cares about utilizing what you have for the foreseeable future. I don't really know what any individual person's perception of G.U.N is. Maybe you think they only exist to represent something and that you're not supposed to care about them. I don't necessarily agree with that but whatever. I just find the very idea that they couldn't think of anything to be a little pathetic. 

I don't really find it pathetic. Sometimes you make stuff and don't really know what to do with it after a point. Not everyone's operating on same wavelength and what they value about the series at this time, could have left them with no ideas for gun. Isn't excusing sonic team or anything, they have their number of problems. I just don't think them not being able to figure out what to do with gun is pathetic.

I don't bring this up to go into my own personal opinions about G.U.N. Reading what you just said there we clearly have extremely different points of view concerning what their purpose and utilization within the series could be but talking about that isn't really my intention.

Sorry about that.

As for Rouge and Omega, considering the fact that I'm seeing more of them nowadays, I can't say I see this point of view either. Like, Sonic Boom made for a funny little cartoon but it had two seasons and then it died. The comics didn't make it past Issue 11 even though the Sonic X comics made it to Issue 40 long after the show had ended. And the games were dead on arrival. I don't see anything from their being represented in what they're doing now at all. Even Sonic Forces, for as much as that game pissed me off, wasn't anywhere near as "Isn't this fucking stupid? Let's make fun of how fucking stupid our series is" as the games before it were. It was also the first game in over a decade where a mainstream game let us play as someone other than Sonic and another version of Sonic. Through free DLC, mind you, but it still happened.

I don't know what they're planning to do but if there's anything I can at least feel a tad more optimistic about is the fact that they certainly don't have any obvious or outward intentions of abandoning these characters. They clearly don't know what to do with them though, which is also really sad on that front too. 

I can understand that. I just hmm.. I dunno I just feel funny about it. But hey I hope i'm wrong. Then everyone gets to be happy.

Well except for emril and babylon rogue fans .

GUN is one thing (Shadow was only actually to be an "agent" in 06, which was erased), but the idea that Shadow only works with Rouge and Omega "as a means to an ends" definitely seems out of character at this point. I suppose that in the games, it's not like we see them hanging out like buddies, we only ever see them together during a new mission or conflict (even less so including Omega). But I'm pretty sure there was an actual camaraderie between them? Or, do they mean that Team Dark just isn't necessarily a set team, like the Chaotix, who are joined at the hip 24/7? In which case.. that's basically how nearly every team in this series works. Only together to do a thing, and then split up at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really find it pathetic. Sometimes you make stuff and don't really know what to do with it after a point. Not everyone's operating on same wavelength and what they value about the series at this time, could have left them with no ideas for gun. Isn't excusing sonic team or anything, they have their number of problems. I just don't think them not being able to figure out what to do with gun is pathetic.

I do. I can't help that.

Maybe, I'm missing some context. Maybe they can't find anything for G.U.N to do within their new... vision. Or whatever.

But if it's just that they couldn't find anything for them to do, period, then I'm sorry but that's awful. 

At least write a story that gets them out of the picture.

If they're so corrupt then tell a story where the Commander retired and the new guy in charge said, "Hey, guess what? We're joining the Eggman Empire now! Whoo~! That's right! We're giving up! All hail Eggman. Here, grab your cups, it's time to pass around the Eggman Kool-Aid. Sorry to all the folks who expected us to take care of you but face it, we're a little unstable. We sent a giant fucking truck barrelling down the streets of San Francisco to catch a clearly innocent hedgehog while conversely dealing thousands, nay, millions of dollars in property damage as well as killing anyone who was on the sidewalk or in their cars at the time. We were already a little insane. In hindsight, you should have seen this coming. I for one, welcome our new Egg Shaped Overlords! Three cheers for the good doctor! Hail Hydra!"

And that's why there's no military in Forces. 

I'm clearly being a bit silly here since I'm not making a HUGE deal about this either but I do firmly believe there's very little excuse for them not having any idea of what to do with them. At least from where I'm standing. 

I can understand that. I just hmm.. I dunno I just feel funny about it. But hey I hope i'm wrong. Then everyone gets to be happy.

Well except for emril and babylon rogue fans .

Oh dude, the Babylon Rogues are fucked.

Maybe you'll see them in a phone game or something but... honestly, I have my doubts they'll even show up in the IDW comics at this rate.

It's a shame because I was actually starting to get more into the idea of them. A more ruthless and self-centered band of treasure hunters and thieves. It sounds a lot cooler than I gave it credit for when I was younger and I actually did like both the stories of the Riders games.

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

GUN is one thing (Shadow was only actually to be an "agent" in 06, which was erased), but the idea that Shadow only works with Rouge and Omega "as a means to an ends" definitely seems out of character at this point. I suppose that in the games, it's not like we see them hanging out like buddies, we only ever see them together during a new mission or conflict (even less so including Omega). But I'm pretty sure there was an actual camaraderie between them? Or, do they mean that Team Dark just isn't necessarily a set team, like the Chaotix, who are joined at the hip 24/7? In which case.. that's basically how nearly every team in this series works. Only together to do a thing, and then split up at the end.

I mean they don't have to be together all the time to be friends. I said myself, team dark probably doesn't hang out. But I wouldn't say, at least before now shadow's working with rouge and omega was soley because of " his own benefit " , its because he likes them. I mean I guess him liking them is his own benefit, but you know that's not what they meant

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I do. I can't help that.

Maybe, I'm missing some context. Maybe they can't find anything for G.U.N to do within their new... vision. Or whatever.

But if it's just that they couldn't find anything for them to do, period, then I'm sorry but that's awful. 

At least write a story that gets them out of the picture.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

If they're so corrupt then tell a story where the Commander retired and the new guy in charge said, "Hey, guess what? We're joining the Eggman Empire now! Whoo~! That's right! We're giving up! All hail Eggman. Here, grab your cups, it's time to pass around the Eggman Kool-Aid. Sorry to all the folks who expected us to take care of you but face it, we're a little unstable. We sent a giant fucking truck barrelling down the streets of San Francisco to catch a clearly innocent hedgehog while conversely dealing thousands, nay, millions of dollars in property damage as well as killing anyone who was on the sidewalk or in their cars at the time. We were already a little insane. In hindsight, you should have seen this coming. I for one, welcome our new Egg Shaped Overlords! Three cheers for the good doctor! Hail Hydra!"

And that's why there's no military in Forces. 

I'm clearly being a bit silly here since I'm not making a HUGE deal about this either but I do firmly believe there's very little excuse for them not having any idea of what to do with them. At least from where I'm standing. 

There's no military in forces because gun don't give a shit about animal land. They don't need to explain that. And they don't seem to want to make any real life allegories to anything right now. A lot of early 00's sonic was filled with government conspiracies, they don't care about that. They care about, magic bad man, do bad thing and sonic and friend must stop.

Gun don't fit into that, its a simple as that really

There's no military in forces because gun don't give a shit about animal land. They don't need to explain that. And they don't seem to want to make any real life allegories to anything right now. A lot of early 00's sonic was filled with government conspiracies, they don't care about that. They care about, magic bad man, do bad thing and sonic and friend must stop.

Gun don't fit into that, its a simple as that really

I think you still somehow took that reply seriously. Somehow. I was hoping the bit about the kool-aid might have gotten a chuckle.

Again, like I already said, if they just don't want to do it because it doesn't fit their interests, whatever those are, then fine. I guess. But if it's because they seriously couldn't think of anything period, then that's dumb.

Also, there's a few things there to contest but also, again, my intention wasn't to start an argument about what you could do to utilize G.U.N. I will say that if they don't want to make any real life allegories than making a game like Forces was a shit way to go about that.

58 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Maybe you'll see them in a phone game or something but... honestly, I have my doubts they'll even show up in the IDW comics at this rate.

It's a shame because I was actually starting to get more into the idea of them. A more ruthless and self-centered band of treasure hunters and thieves. It sounds a lot cooler than I gave it credit for when I was younger and I actually did like both the stories of the Riders games.

Hey, don't knock Jet's obligatory rival role in Mario and Sonic 2020.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

If the games that come out during their current vision mostly take place on Animal Planet, maybe there's no place for them anymore.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I think you still somehow took that reply seriously. Somehow. I was hoping the bit about the kool-aid might have gotten a chuckle.

Now I feel bad for missing the joke, i'm sorry

1 minute ago, Razule said:

If the games that come out during their current vision mostly take place on Animal Planet, maybe there's no place for them anymore.

I vote to call sonic's world " Animal Planet "

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

Hey, don't knock Jet's obligatory rival role in Mario and Sonic 2020.

I doubt he can even rely on that anymore. I think Ubisoft has the Olympic Video Games pedigree now. At least, I think that's what happened since Mario and Sonic skipped the Winter 2018 Olympics while Ubisoft got to make this:

No more Jet the Hawk. Here comes Iconic Generic Ubisoft man. 

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Yeah. But I also think that the concept of "Animal Planet" is dumb too so... it really can't be helped as far as my opinion goes. 

We can't we co-exist with the animals? Eggman found a way... sort of.

You know... he wants to enslave them but... at least he's trying.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I doubt he can even rely on that anymore. I think Ubisoft has the Olympic Video Games pedigree now. At least, I think that's what happened since Mario and Sonic skipped the Winter 2018 Olympics while Ubisoft got to make this:

No more Jet the Hawk. Here comes Iconic Generic Ubisoft man. 

Sega has the game rights for the Tokyo 2020 olympics, they just got beat out by ubisoft that one time. Can't wait for Infinite on ice.

1 minute ago, thumbs13 said:

Sega has the game rights for the Tokyo 2020 olympics, they just got beat out by ubisoft that one time. Can't wait for Infinite on ice.

Okay. Maybe there is hope then. I won't pretend to know how it works.

Just read the latest issue...

Well, that got disturbing. Probably even more so than the previous issue in regards to the Metal Virus and the Zombots.

• Thumbs Up 1