Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Random thought: what if this is a repurposed version of the “new method of roboticization” Ian was planning to introduce in post-SGW Archie?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

Aren't she and Eggman supposed to be first cousins? Unless you're suggesting one of them was adopted (which I highly doubt) she's probably still a human.

Obviously Eggman is part hedgehog. How else would he be able to outrun Sonic?

44 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Opinions are subjective

Hide contents

You cant say one thing then denounce the same point a sentence later

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Maria is literally referenced in Team Sonic Racing, the latest game coming to market. They’re not non-canon, they’re just not relevant as of right now.

In general I think Sonic fans need to learn the difference between Non-Canonand Not Relevant. Shadow put his past behind him, the point of his gsme, so of course Maria and G.U.N. aren't mentioned as much these days because they aren't important right now. I'm sure when Sega has an idea for G.U.N. it'll be pulled out of retirement. 

Spoiler

As for the issue I enjoyed it felt like a real "Crap hit the fan" type of issue. Also I totally called this being a Zombie story.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Legosi (Ogilvie) said:
  Hide contents

I had a feeling that was coming but God dammit this is Universe 9 all over again. Whyyyy, my precious boyyyyyys.

The question is: does Ian have the stones to make this a permanent thing since undoubtedly we'll see a lot more victims, or will there be some way to reverse it?

More importantly: will the arc end with Sonic infecting Eggman so as to force him to reveal/engineer a cure?

When Eggman decided to Thanos Snap, he better have accounted for the fact he can count in the losing 50%.

Sonic is infected, so at least some people wont die.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Dumb question: Why do you people even read those previews?

In your impatience to get something that you'll read full anyway you just hinder your own experience and often mine.

image.png.1930f7fe45fd39af9dead865895d81bf.png

image.png.7c13f83a040335a542c824965eebd166.png

Well, I guess 06 really didn't happened.

Late response. Ok So like there are some crazy theories floating around that humans aren't canon anymore, so let me address that and this. And spoiler, I think the answer to this is pettier than we all think.

This seems more like a branding issue. Sonic characters, at least the more important/liked ones are effectively mascots and they are supposed to communicate things when used. These traits for the brand are often used when developing new material for said brand. Like the leaked images of the marketing material for the movie. So why is this relevant? When thinking about this some more, and  laughing about it because its hilariously edgy. I thought about why they would make this specific distinction.

Because its not like shadow doesn't care for rouge and omega, he does, the former occasionally flirts with him and this is all fine and dandy. And gun and humans still exist because Dr.Gerald and Maria are both referenced in official material. Even black doom and the black arms gets shout out son occasion. In this book even. Though there are a couple asterisk in there, but we will get those later. My point is nothing is gone, for now at least.

So why make this distinction, oddly enough sonic boom explains this, its branding. So like when a company gives you material to work on some product based on their product it ussually comes with style guides as mentioned before. Some companies are more strict than others,  and some companies are more strict about certain things. Some more of a guide, and some a rule book. Sega is flexible depending on what the situation is, but there are basic tenants about characters they seem to keep no matter what depiction nowadays. Lets think about shadow's based on boom shadow

1) Shadow is a character , while fighting for good, will do anything to achieve his goals even fight heroes if it comes down to it.

2) Shadow is a loner, doesn't like to be around people

3) Shadow is a dangerous and powerful opponent and should be presented as such if fits the theme

4) Shadow does not work for anyone. He is a lone wolf and acts as such, any team up is for his own benefit or the benefit of his goal.

Sonic boom is essentially you taking this hypothetical style sheet for shadow, and just executing on it with no context or nuance.

Now there are probably more rules and character stuff than that, obviously this is missing a bunch of nuance , but when you are doing style sheets or slides you kinda keep it to some of the essentials for whatever you are trying to do. Now number 4 is the important one here. In particular, " for " . What I think happened, as petty as this is , is that Ian asked not if shadow worked with gun and what that is about. Is that he worked " for " gun. And got that response, this in combination with sega seemingly wanting to just remove gun ,  this why we are here.

And I guess there is a definitive answer to that question, if we are to use this as a basis. The question of " Who's the leader of team Dark ", its " Shadow or no one " because shadow's brand. I guess that's why ian made the delineation this time round. And yes that sounds petty and dumb but welcome to working with a client, and welcome to sega in general

Now before we end this I mentioned some asterisk, ok. So while i'm operating this is a weird branding thing is fine. If you wanted to go full doom and gloom, rouge and shadow as of currently in this new book have not interacted in a meaningful way that suggested that shadow cares about her in any regard. Along with that, while there is banter in sonic forces, rouge shows she cares about shadow in some instances , not the other way around. Now this could be an inconvenience and some poor writing and planning and that could come up later fine. But if you wanted to go full doom and gloom based on this new information. You could suggest that they are changing team darks relationship to a more means to shadow's end's situation rather than any type of camaraderie, I just don't believe that's what is happening. My doom and gloom about rouge and omega, lies elsewhere.

6 hours ago, kimplix said:

So that new character they stated for the Annual's B cover

Reveal hidden contents

032e1e98-c392-441e-b0fd-18fb1b932762.jpg.9f08750a17fe25921b37e16c18fb96b5.jpg

I don't know why, but I keep having that Aquamarine vibe for her design look.

She cute

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

Artists always change stuff. Look at the new Ris of the TMNT where April is suddenly is an African-American young girl and no longer a grown up Irish woman. Same could also happen with Maria.  

Yo dog they still mention Dr.Gerald in mainline material my dude, they exist. There was no retcon

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I think that with that fall, Rough and Tumble may have been squashed big time, I don't know if they will even regenerate. Depends if we will see them again, but they are not Chaos for sure.

22 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:
  Hide contents

I think that with that fall, Rough and Tumble may have been squashed big time, I don't know if they will even regenerate. Depends if we will see them again, but they are not Chaos for sure.

Spoiler

I don't think this book has become so dark that they'd kill off their comic-relief villains in their second battle. 

So about that Sonic Annual, the FB group is saying it's been delayed to May 1st?

Also a sudden thought about this arc

Spoiler

50 rings that the chaos emeralds are the cure to this virus. Sonic goes super and uses his powers to heal himself and everyone of the virus.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I just swiped Issue 15 and...well, not sure if I can settle on a rating.

Spoiler

I'm gonna go ahead and say the story itself was alright bordering on good.

But maybe they should've given this new guy a different issue to pencil and possibly color.

It seems most artists have a bit of trouble, having to draw either Rough or Tumble. Interestingly, I think Tumble has the higher rate of success despite how rum he looks. But Rough is probably the worst he's been thus far, with his infected state being an improvement.

"Rough!" Yes you are.

I will say that I did like what distinguished displays in personality the Skunk Bros had this time around. And the lampshading of the fact that it seems a little hard to rhyme Tumble in quick tandem.

Their infected forms are probably the best example of where I feel the colors don't really work out. Like, I guess they look sleeker, but it doesn't convey much difference otherwise.

It is messed up that Amy and Sonic did what they did trying to hurt them, though they pop back into place. They're more in line with Chaos or rather the T-1000 than Robians. 

The terms Zombots is...eh? Like, I guess it does flow better than Botties, but it sorta seems like a not that catchy name.

Also, was the dialogue a bit wobbly for anyone else? I like a couple of the jokes, but something about the text didn't feel right going through.

15 hours ago, Razule said:
  Hide contents

Are they even robots, or just goo creatures at this point..?

Yeah, seriously.

12 hours ago, Legosi (Ogilvie) said:
  Hide contents

I had a feeling that was coming but God dammit this is Universe 9 all over again. Whyyyy, my precious boyyyyyys.

Which arc was starting again?

11 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:
  Hide contents

They'll be fine. Like Universe 9 it'll be reversed eventually. The heroes will cure them along with the others who are infected, and they'll be back to their ruffian selves again. If not that they may regain sentience and keep these abilities....but I bank more on returning to normal eventually.

Part of me wouldn't mind if Tumble retained some fascimile of it.

Though I really dislike we needed Rough and Tumble to explain a joke....shoulda just left it at one of them pointing out that didn't rhyme, and the other brother telling him to shut it and waste the hedgehogs.

Eh, I thought it was good character moment between the two.

Plus, the line about stealing a dictionary later.

Hide contents

but the next issue suggests it's Sonic, Tails, and Tangle. 

Oh shoot, really?

10 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Spoilers:

Hide contents

The art makes it look like Sonic it's just dirty rather than infected,wish they showed those little metal veins like in previous issues. 

Yeah, it just look like he had a little salt-mud flashed on him.

If it was any brighter, we'd be havin some squick goin on.

12 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Wasn't Sonic Colors bad, but still...ick I'd rather delete that panel.

As if it wasn't clear why it bothered you.

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

They brought up the mis-rhyming thing before, but since they won't be alive anymore...I guess it's the least they could go out on.

That is true.

8 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I hope Rough and Tumble are cured by the end of the arc. They're my favorite characters in this comic.

They have more or less always been the new characters I was the closest to enthusiastic about, yes.

8 hours ago, kimplix said:

So that new character they stated for the Annual's B cover

Hide contents

032e1e98-c392-441e-b0fd-18fb1b932762.jpg.9f08750a17fe25921b37e16c18fb96b5.jpg

I don't know why, but I keep having that Aquamarine vibe for her design look.

I just noticed something else:

Spoiler

What is that in her hand on the top right?

Also, Megadrive boxart.

8 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Who is that and where did you find this?

Appropriate profile pic.

5 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I'm tired of good girls. Well I'd like her to be a theist where she looks sweet and innocent but is very sadistic

...You want her to be religious?

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Page Spoilers

Hide contents

5FbdW2JnmJMOF5ftrrdvqbfrJc49UZaup7bG2DnMywI88RtvRpERCw4KldqiV2UuFym__nSFu-vb7iBC

Kudos to Ian for creating a new type of robot slave that's not the same as in Archie/SATAM.

I'd hate to see what would have happen once Eggman gets Zombots that were originally stronger before being infected.

...I wonder if Zombots can fuse?

Holy shit, I sorta had Mecha Sally on the brain a teeny bit, but I never considered that!

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Kind of underwhelmed, yet again.

Hide contents

Sonic getting infected just because he accidentally wiped some gunk on his face is a bit lame,

Oh, is that what happened? I just assumed that it was an art oversight.

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Kind of underwhelmed, yet again.

Hide contents

T

Also if the skunks manage to crawl out of that hole and be relevant again in this arc they're gonna be pretty boring without their Team Rocket-esque personalities.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, kimplix said:
  Hide contents

If that happens, then the Aquamarine vibes I stated would be an interesting one to see in development imo.

Ch'yeah.

4 hours ago, Razule said:

Well, a religious character would certainly be unique.

Dangit! :lol: 

3 hours ago, Rowl said:

Artists always change stuff. Look at the new Rise of the TMNT where April is suddenly is a young African-American young girl and no longer a grown up Irish woman. Same could also happen with Maria.  

That's a total rebranding and/or separate continuity though.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sigh, let's try find SOMETHING positive....do you remembers first issues of  Archie Sonic? When Manak draw Eggman with a constant toothy grin?

1.png.105b0846aa47184f2e1bc3b55e05ad3b.png

Anyone's getting nostalgic?

That was Dave Manak?!

3 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Random thought: what if this is a repurposed version of the “new method of roboticization” Ian was planning to introduce in post-SGW Archie?

Perhaps. It's pretty likely, given that new character's timing.

2 hours ago, Razule said:
  Hide contents

I don't think this book has become so dark that they'd kill off their comic-relief villains in their second battle. 

Yeah.

Also, third.

1 hour ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

So about that Sonic Annual, the FB group is saying it's been delayed to May 1st?

Also a sudden thought about this arc

Hide contents

50 rings that the chaos emeralds are the cure to this virus. Sonic goes super and uses his powers to heal himself and everyone of the virus.

Holy smokes, I hope that's what they're doing!

16 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:
  Hide contents

that panel where Rough's left arm is on the ground,

iVs74g.gif.11779354cf2cf355815e43b60030cb3a.gif

Pffft--wait, what?!

3 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Archie/Satam: we made the concept of cute animals turning into brainless robots traumatic scary!!

Flynn: Hold my beer

Am I the only one not really getting how this is any worse than robotication? Like I get the body horror element, even if I don't really find it that scary (I mean, it just looks like melted metal to me that suddenly reshapes, it's not like we're seeing guts or anything spilling out when damage is done to them). 

In Archie, to me the implications were a lot creepier, you'd be aware of everything you're doing, your mind was very much present and in-tact, but it was forcefully turned to Eggman's whims (Chuck especially, given when he was handed power rings, he could switch between his usual self, and a killer robot who had no issues killing Sonic and was aware of it when he got his mind back). 

Bar the kind of horror of having an infection that will slowly turn you into one of these things - which only Sonic is really going to experience, I really don't see it as particularly more interesting than robotication, especially since to me - it looks like it's going for a zombie infection more than anything else. I can already see this backfiring horribly on Eggman because knowing him, he'll realise that he created a zombie virus, and not a robotic one - as in the zombies won't see him as a master and decide to turn him as well.

I don't really understand Eggman's end-game here, because unlike Archie - where when they were robots, they were programmable and forcefully turned to his control, they couldn't be freed again and he was free to rule them as he pleased, where here, it just looks like a weird as hell zombie thing where those infected are simply brainless hollow shells that will try to turn anything nearby. What's the point of ruling brainless creatures with seemingly no ability to think or do anything other than turning more people? How can he ensure they keep in line? Hell, how can he ensure that he just isn't immediately infected? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

We can't know if they're aware while they're zombotified until a cure is created, and the victims can talk about it.

Unless the virus evolves and then becomes uncontrollable, I'm pretty sure it was established with the little animals that they're obedient to him.

I have a prediction for the annual.

Spoiler

That new bee girl wears an outfit similar to Starline.
Given that Starline was supposed to debut with two other characters, I could see this character be in cahoots with him.

Honestly the old Roboticization wasn't that scary either. Uncle Chuck just kinda casually mentions that they're aware of everything going on but nothings ever done with that. He never seems all that upset about the fact he was a mindless slave, he uses his cool upgrades no problem and he seems mostly ok.

Just saying it kinda undercuts the implied horror of your concept if everyone is perfectly fine after its undone. 

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly the old Roboticization wasn't that scary either. Uncle Chuck just kinda casually mentions that they're aware of everything going on but nothings ever done with that. He never seems all that upset about the fact he was a mindless slave, he uses his cool upgrades no problem and he seems mostly ok.

Just saying it kinda undercuts the implied horror of your concept if everyone is perfectly fine after its undone. 

Neither of them are pretty scary other than the implications of it, which is why I don't see why this is any scarier than this. It's a Sonic property, they can't typically treat something that should be pretty horrifying as just that. I don't really get how this is really bad body horror and worse than the original version when one looks like all it really has is body horror and tame body horror at that, and the other has the implications of how bad it is, but doesn't treat it as such very often.

9 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hide contents

Given that Starline was supposed to debut with two other characters, I could see this character be in cahoots with him.

Beetle. She has a carapace.

34 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't really understand Eggman's end-game here, because unlike Archie - where when they were robots, they were programmable and forcefully turned to his control, they couldn't be freed again and he was free to rule them as he pleased, where here, it just looks like a weird as hell zombie thing where those infected are simply brainless hollow shells that will try to turn anything nearby. What's the point of ruling brainless creatures with seemingly no ability to think or do anything other than turning more people? How can he ensure they keep in line? Hell, how can he ensure that he just isn't immediately infected? 

Considering he made the virus I wouldn't doubt he's made himself a vaccine/cure or simply programmed it to not affect him, so I don't think he has to worry about being infected. And when he was testing it on small animals earlier it showed that they follow his orders, they're just also naturally aggressive.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Am I the only one not really getting how this is any worse than robotication? Like I get the body horror element, even if I don't really find it that scary (I mean, it just looks like melted metal to me that suddenly reshapes, it's not like we're seeing guts or anything spilling out when damage is done to them). 

In Archie, to me the implications were a lot creepier, you'd be aware of everything you're doing, your mind was very much present and in-tact, but it was forcefully turned to Eggman's whims (Chuck especially, given when he was handed power rings, he could switch between his usual self, and a killer robot who had no issues killing Sonic and was aware of it when he got his mind back). 

Bar the kind of horror of having an infection that will slowly turn you into one of these things - which only Sonic is really going to experience, I really don't see it as particularly more interesting than robotication, especially since to me - it looks like it's going for a zombie infection more than anything else. I can already see this backfiring horribly on Eggman because knowing him, he'll realise that he created a zombie virus, and not a robotic one - as in the zombies won't see him as a master and decide to turn him as well.

To be a little fair, roboticization had a whole cartoon and over 100 issues of Archie worth of development and display to really set it up, not to mention indeed having a number of horrific details about it being visible and/or explained.

The Zombot virus has really only had one true issue here, with the details being relatively unexplained and the display being a little minute, if still messed up. Or if you wanna count it, the test run being a little more darkly humorous than anything.

30 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hide contents

Oh-hohoho, is that so?

Spoiler

Could explain what she's looking at.

31 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

In the one SatAM, maybe. They kinda didn't have much time to dive into it and I'd think the true scary implication is how he'd viciously attack Sonic the moment his programming is restored.

The comics on the otherhand...

20 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hide contents

Beetle. She has a carapace.

Spoiler

Oh really? I just assumed she was a firefly.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be a little fair, roboticization had a whole cartoon and over 100 issues of Archie worth of development and display to really set it up, not to mention indeed having a number of horrific details about it being visible and/or explained.

The Zombot virus has really only had one true issue here, with the details being relatively unexplained and the display being a little minute, if still messed up. Or if you wanna count it, the test run being a little more darkly humorous than anything.

Again, this is part of my problem - we're taking something that had two issues of build up and saying this is superior to something Archie did and explained for over 100 issues, and the only real point it has is that it had body horror, and it can be spread around by a virus. That's my problem here, I don't understand how you can say that with this one issue alone, they've done this concept better, or more horrifyingly than Archie or SatAM did.

56 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The overall reaction to the issue on Tumblr and Twitter does seem that people are taken a back by its Body-horror, like dont me wrong its not Uzumaki level body horror  DUH,. but Me and a whole bunch of other readers didn't expect it would turn out like this.

I find it much more interesting and a lot scarier then the old-archie/satam robotication, in the end it just looks like furry cartoon critters turning into....robot cartoon critters, and they just became ''cartoonly evil'' for a while. That never really freaked me out not even the scene where Sonic's mother was turned, which didn't age well because it now just reminds me '' hey its that TMNT artist that drew that and its obvious lol'' 

Where this time, there in a zombie-like-state, which I dont know to me that's a lot more dreadful, there not just dead outside but also dead inside..and seeing the limbs fall despite knowing its jut metal-shapes that can retash

there is something off about seeing a character move with a giant HOLE in their head and losing a limb. I mean for a kids comic its pretty woa. I'm just impressed because I was just expecting a modern-updated version of robotication which never fazed me the slightest. Some people are just going to prefer this over what archie did, and that's that. YOu don't have to agree with me but I'm not changing my mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's my problem here, I don't understand how you can say that with this one issue alone, they've done this concept better, or more horrifyingly than Archie or SatAM did.

I'm gonna assume it's because it's new.

The "body horror" aspect is kind of a draw back when you think about it, all it means is that they don't have to worry about killing/hurting them...which never came up before I think, but it means even less now.

i wish this comic had more wild settings with interesting designs and the characters actually interacted with them in clever ways instead of just explaining everything directly to move the plot forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just read the issue and dear lord! The body horror... it's glorious!

Like, I really didn't expect this. When I likened the Metal Virus to a zombie apocalypse but with robots I kind of just figured it'd be people covered in a robot shell... but no. It's like an actual robot zombie, complete with decomposing sludge bodies on top of being soulless. Those poor flickies. I feel worse for them now. It's so horrific and scary. I'd have eaten this up if I had read this as a child. I always did like being scared by horror targeted at my age demographic. Stuff like Courage the Cowardly Dog or the Halloween special of my favorite cartoon. Not really horror movies or anything like that. 

The fact that the virus is on Sonic now is great too. I knew it would happen but the imagery associated with how it affected Rough and Tumble and especially the cover for next month give off of this really welcome, uneasy and creepy vibe.

Damn Eggman, you scary. 

He's really, really scary actually.

I also appreciated the fact that Sonic made mention of how he wouldn't normally punt Rough and Tumble down what looked like a bottomless pit but desperation kind of took over there. The last image of him and Amy just staring at the goop on Sonic in silence was hella effective.

And apparently, Eggman's just gonna... release it.  In something called the Clinical Trials...! 

My heart did a tiny bit of a flip there. I wanna see. People are just barely getting over the war and yet the apocalypse is on the way. Mr. Tinker, where are you in our time of need?

I enjoyed this one a lot. I thought it was structured well and it got across what it needed too, clearly and concisely. The battle with the tank didn't take up the majority of the issue so the focus was on what it needed to be. I'm happy Ian managed to get something like this out of just seeing the Metal versions of the characters from Sonic Heroes. Unlike Master Overlord, this is how you take inspiration from the games and expand upon it. 

I cannot wait. I think I have butterflies in my tummy. 

• Thumbs Up 5