Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I just realised something - 

Spoiler

We know that no matter what - the virus attaches to the user through touch. It does so by attaching to Sonic's glove, and slightly to his wrist before he does that...

...but then why doesn't he also have many random touches around his head and body as well? He spin-dashed multiple times against Tumble, enough to leave severe impacts each time, and the Spindash - whilst powerful - doesn't provide armour or protect, so by all accounts, Sonic's infection should be a lot more worse than just his hand and mouth. Especially since it was shown earlier that multiple touches/infections heavily speeds the process. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Again, this is part of my problem - we're taking something that had two issues of build up and saying this is superior to something Archie did and explained for over 100 issues, and the only real point it has is that it had body horror, and it can be spread around by a virus. That's my problem here, I don't understand how you can say that with this one issue alone, they've done this concept better, or more horrifyingly than Archie or SatAM did.

Uh, are we?

Feel free to point out any presumably previous instances, but every comment I've seen here is just talking about what it is.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I just noticed something else:

Reveal hidden contents

What is that in her hand on the top right?

Also, Megadrive boxart.

Appropriate profile pic.

...You want her to be religious?

Holy shit, I sorta had Mecha Sally on the brain a teeny bit, but I never considered that!

Oh, is that what happened? I just assumed that it was an art oversight.

Reveal hidden contents

Ch'yeah.

Dangit! :lol: 

That's a total rebranding and/or separate continuity though.

That was Dave Manak?!

Perhaps. It's pretty likely, given that new character's timing.

Yeah.

Also, third.

Holy smokes, I hope that's what they're doing!

Pffft--wait, what?!

I meant a villain and sadistic. How my phone wrote that i have no idea lol.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, are we?

Feel free to point out any presumably previous instances, but every comment I've seen here is just talking about what it is.

If you look at the first post where I discussed this, you can see a post that basically implied that Flynn one-upped the concept in this one issue alone, which is why I was originally responding to.

In which case, if you're assuming I was referring to a blanket "everyone is saying this", that doesn't make sense, because otherwise I'd be including myself in such a statement. The "you" are well was not referring to you specifically, but a general you - as in "I don't see how someone can say this is better based off the one issue and minor details we have".

Its all a matter of preference, but I feel the Zombot virus gets more points for the body horror aspect. That's something Robitization lacked, and it definitely adds a level of uneasiness to the whole situation. That said, the art really doesn't sell what should be an extremely horrifying situation that well. We only get one panel of Rough and Tumble reacting before they're converted, and not much attention is drawn to the body horror or Sonic & Amy's reactions to it. They both seem mildly surprised and annoyed at worst, which is a really bad way of selling this so far.

Hopefully later artists are able to sell this better, because it IS a horrifying and scary situation, it just needs the right amount of focus to sell it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I just realised something - 

Hide contents

We know that no matter what - the virus attaches to the user through touch. It does so by attaching to Sonic's glove, and slightly to his wrist before he does that...

...but then why doesn't he also have many random touches around his head and body as well? He spin-dashed multiple times against Tumble, enough to leave severe impacts each time, and the Spindash - whilst powerful - doesn't provide armour or protect, so by all accounts, Sonic's infection should be a lot more worse than just his hand and mouth. Especially since it was shown earlier that multiple touches/infections heavily speeds the process. 

Spoiler

Remember that Sonic's movement delays the progress of the Metal Virus...because plot armor.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If you look at the first post where I discussed this, you can see a post that basically implied that Flynn one-upped the concept in this one issue alone, which is why I was originally responding to.

In which case, if you're assuming I was referring to a blanket "everyone is saying this", that doesn't make sense, because otherwise I'd be including myself in such a statement. The "you" are well was not referring to you specifically, but a general you - as in "I don't see how someone can say this is better based off the one issue and minor details we have".

Oh okay, it honestly just looked like a long, lone comment when I first saw it. My bad

Anyway, I think it was just a memetic comment on how inherently disturbing it is meant to be. And if it makes you feel better, Kells doesn't like Archie in general, so him saying that is normal. 

I was playing catchup with the Bumblekast with Episode 80, 81, and 82 got some insight on the idea behind a few original characters:

• Spoiler

• First off, The Skunk Bros. Rough and Tumble were inspired by a little Team Rocket, a little Wrestling, a lot of 80s. They are bad guys we like to see fight and like to see lose.
    • Whisper was conceptualized as a contrast to most female Sonic characters in personality, abilities, and appearance, being quiet, normal, and muted compared to the likes of Amy, Rouge, Cream, and Wave. There were a plethora of design details like hairstyles, color schemes, and Wispon variations(many that we haven't seen) for her that the final design was cobbled from per SEGA's handpicking. Speaking of her variable Wispon, Mr. Flynn was nervous about it when pitching to SEGA, but they thought it was cool and actually made further suggestions of what it could do at some point.
    • Dinosaur characters have been in his back pocket for quite some time and there are some potential pitches involving them down the road.
    • Starline was created as part of a trio with a mechanic in mind that has allegedly shifted to the point where it will probably be unrecognizable. He does acknowledge that Evan Stanley deems the final design as a spiritual successor to Dr. Finitevus and Dr. Zachary. He also notes how there will likely be mostly not conscious parallels with newer characters as well.

• Thumbs Up 5

While I haven't read any of the IDW Sonic comics in any significant capacity (just kinda skimmed), based on what you guys are talking about, I do have the concern that much like the Mr. Tinker shtick in Year 1, they'll end up rushing through this new plot point and end up skirting over the implications and possibilities of such an event for the sake of a tawdry or anti-climactic resolution to maintain a forced status quo.

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like something noteworthy, but so was the Mr. Tinker idea as well, and that just got bumrushed through and the implications brought up regarding the morality of allowing the amnesiac Eggman to continue despite the risk of him regaining his memories, the possibilities regarding how much of the Mr Tinker personality remains after his return to his usual self, the whole Shadow vs Sonic morality thing...it just got brushed aside, and I don't think it would reflect well on the comics if they do the same here for the sake of maintaining a forced cheery/lightheartedness that so much of the modern era of Sonic suffers from while ignoring the disturbing implications they raise.

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

While I haven't read any of the IDW Sonic comics in any significant capacity (just kinda skimmed), based on what you guys are talking about, I do have the concern that much like the Mr. Tinker shtick in Year 1, they'll end up rushing through this new plot point and end up skirting over the implications and possibilities of such an event for the sake of a tawdry or anti-climactic resolution to maintain a forced status quo.

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like something noteworthy, but so was the Mr. Tinker idea as well, and that just got bumrushed through and the implications brought up regarding the morality of allowing the amnesiac Eggman to continue despite the risk of him regaining his memories, the possibilities regarding how much of the Mr Tinker personality remains after his return to his usual self, the whole Shadow vs Sonic morality thing...it just got brushed aside, and I don't think it would reflect well on the comics if they do the same here for the sake of maintaining a forced cheery/lightheartedness that so much of the modern era of Sonic suffers from while ignoring the disturbing implications they raise.

Yes, I will acknowledge that for as excited as I definitely still am right now, that is a very real concern. I enjoyed the build up that happened during the first arc but the rushed climax with the uninspired Master Overlord (still a shit name by the way) did pretty much nothing for me. I do see the concern here considering that I barely registered how we didn't get to see much of Rough and Tumble's reaction to what was happening to them before it happened. Though I will say that I do think Sonic and Amy's reactions were perfectly fine as an initial response. I want them to be able to take their time a bit more.

Ian seems confident in how much more freedom he has under the IDW banner but it does seem like there are some obvious drawbacks on display here make the structure of what's going on stand out in a way that sometimes doesn't jell with people. I've been okay with it but that's mostly because it hasn't become much of a hinderance with the specific stories he's been telling up to this point. I do worry there will come a time when it will. 

Right now though I'm hyped as hell. I cannot tell a lie. I'm ready. Let's fucking go!

I think it's safe to assume Shadow was right and no thanks to status quo looks stupid for letting Sonic convince him in sparing Eggman. I think Shadow is darker than anything eggman could be, so basically this is unimpressive to acknowledge for Eggman as evil feats go when characters like Mephiles existed once.

17 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

I think it's safe to assume Shadow was right and no thanks to status quo looks stupid for letting Sonic convince him in sparing Eggman. I think Shadow is darker than anything eggman could be, so basically this is unimpressive to acknowledge for Eggman as evil feats go when characters like Mephiles existed once.

Stop with the Shadow Wank. It's annoying.

Honestly, while stripping the person of their personality is one way to go about horror, letting them keep it can be horrifying too. Anyone remember Terminator Genisys, where hero John Connor got turned into a nanite creature loyal to the main antagonist, but he still had all his memories and personality from before? It naturally just made things unsettling.

Personally, I can't help but wonder if we won't see Rough and Tumble for a while, everyone will forget about them in the pit, and somehow they'll regain free will/consciousness but keep the nanite bodies while everyone else was cured. This would pave a way for them to be legitimately dangerous as returning villains, if still dumb.

What's more, they'll probably be just as eager to kill Eggman as Sonic when this is all over, and that's going to lead to interesting situations.

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Which arc was starting again?

I'm referencing something from Dragon Ball Super, don't mind me.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly the old Roboticization wasn't that scary either. Uncle Chuck just kinda casually mentions that they're aware of everything going on but nothings ever done with that. He never seems all that upset about the fact he was a mindless slave, he uses his cool upgrades no problem and he seems mostly ok.

Just saying it kinda undercuts the implied horror of your concept if everyone is perfectly fine after its undone. 

You mean,aside of how Bunnie hated looking like a freak,or how terrified people looked when they got robotizated?Or that one story when Bunnie had a nightmare that Robotnik turned into a full robot to make her kill her friends,showing how scared she is of herself? Or the fact that she has to constantly update her robot part to survive,reducing her chances of ever being normal? Or the fact that in the Mecha Sally arc Sally was also tore apart for Eggman to weaponize her,making it nearly impossible to turn her back and making her hurt her friends and family and how broken she was in the reboot when she remembered it? Or the fact that there was also that whole removing some of the organic parts of his soldiers to replace with robot part with either a bomb or a device that paralize them and remember that they also captured innocent people and forced them to this! Yeah,not scary at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh okay, it honestly just looked like a long, lone comment when I first saw it. My bad

Anyway, I think it was just a memetic comment on how inherently disturbing it is meant to be. And if it makes you feel better, Kells doesn't like Archie in general, so him saying that is normal. 

her* I"m a she, 

Never said I disliked the whole part of robotiziation either, I Just never thought It was scary/body horror, more like ""turning characters into evil robots""

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

If they do this, it would make sonic seem incredibly antiquated as a character. In an age where thing like my little pony can call out its main protagonist for fucking up real bad, for them to just slide past all this would date sonic more than a lot of his other mistakes.

Hopefully they don't do that.

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

Stop with the Shadow Wank. It's annoying.

While it is, I do agree with the first part of his statement. The status quo kinda ruins that narrative, and maybe you shouldn't tell stories who's weight are broken, or actively countered by the status quo.Or you know, make a genuine attempt to break it it. The rest of his statement is whatever.

35 minutes ago, Legosi (Ogilvie) said:

Honestly, while stripping the person of their personality is one way to go about horror, letting them keep it can be horrifying too. Anyone remember Terminator Genisys, where hero John Connor got turned into a nanite creature loyal to the main antagonist, but he still had all his memories and personality from before? It naturally just made things unsettling.

Hide contents

Personally, I can't help but wonder if we won't see Rough and Tumble for a while, everyone will forget about them in the pit, and somehow they'll regain free will/consciousness but keep the nanite bodies while everyone else was cured. This would pave a way for them to be legitimately dangerous as returning villains, if still dumb.

What's more, they'll probably be just as eager to kill Eggman as Sonic when this is all over, and that's going to lead to interesting situations.

I'm referencing something from Dragon Ball Super, don't mind me.

Oh like the mortal kombat thral's . So its just the evil version of those characters airing out their issues

1 hour ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

You mean,aside of how Bunnie hated looking like a freak,or how terrified people looked when they got robotizated?Or that one story when Bunnie had a nightmare that Robotnik turned into a full robot to make her kill her friends,showing how scared she is of herself? Or the fact that she has to constantly update her robot part to survive,reducing her chances of ever being normal? Or the fact that in the Mecha Sally arc Sally was also tore apart for Eggman to weaponize her,making it nearly impossible to turn her back and making her hurt her friends and family and how broken she was in the reboot when she remembered it? Or the fact that there was also that whole removing some of the organic parts of his soldiers to replace with robot part with either a bomb or a device that paralize them and remember that they also captured innocent people and forced them to this! Yeah,not scary at all.

Some of this can be pretty much interchangeable with the current concept.

It's amazing, but they'll both have the same problems when it comes to curity.

I'm not entirely sure why there's suddenly this contest to see which horrific zombified robotic slave state is more scary than the other. The implications are all pretty scary if you think about them for too long.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Losing your free will is scary apparently...

The perspective is lost on both ends...

Honestly, it's only scary if you remain conscious during it. Then you're a prisoner in your own body.

If you are unconscious, it's just taking a long nap. Whether you wake up or not has no meaning to you in your oblivion.

(Go figure, this is why many philosophers say death is not a scary fate, since you're basically in a permanent, dreamless sleep. What is scary is pain.)

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like most of the tension and twists were spoiled by the solicits and previews… 

Spoiler

The fact that Sonic gets infected, was the big twist of the issue

And we knew it already. So that sorta ruined the surprise for me, but it was interesting to see how it played out. Remember that most people who read the comic don't visit online forums.

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm not entirely sure why there's suddenly this contest to see which horrific zombified robotic slave state is more scary than the other. The implications are all pretty scary if you think about them for too long.

I gotta be honest I was mostly just cherry picking. Yes there was stuff done in the comics and occasionally the show that showed it as a threat but if you're only focusing on certain aspects (Uncle Chuck having zero issues) it makes it seem like it wasn't taken that seriously.

Spoiler

I wonder what happens when the Zombots come in contact with water or extreme temperatures.