Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm just happy these comics won't do the Ass Pull Unleashed did where Sonic has such immense, immeasurable willpower that he can not be conquered by any corrupting influence.

Which means we get to see this series briefly become the Running Dead after Sonic is fully converted, leaving us wondering who will make it out of the virus, before it's all reset.

I swear if the world is saved by Big the Cat...

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't jinx it, the idea that Sonic's speed is enough to delay/stall the effect is pretty negative already.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I like all the characters that exist, so if I say anything about positive about a character...it is truth bullet.

Character interactions are the life blood of any story to this guy, so that's a double truth.

Okay, fair enough.

You just seem like one of the snappy sarcasm types .

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Don’t see how it’d be any different from the bazillion other times he’s been mind controlled.

Its not the mind-control part I just dont want to see Tails with a gaping HOLE in his stomac or head, 

(ormaybeIdobecauseimcuriousnowlmao)

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I hope this is one of those misleading covers because I really dont want to see the young child Tails in the metal zombified state plz.

Also Diana Skelly is the artist, Yesh!

Speaking of misleading covers, I'm a but bummed Amy did not get to shine like the covers suggested. *sigh*

I'm good though as long as she does not end up a victim or at least not give those body horror images like the two skunk brothers. On that I can relate with Tails fans not wanting the same to happen to their fave.

• Nice Smile 1

Amy Rose got to shine by not getting infected by the M-virus.

On the other hand, they didn't use Amy's glomping skill to cause her to get infected along with Sonic the Hedgehog when they "won".

So, it's a 50-50.

• Chuckle 1

Honestly, that's been the case for a portion of the cast after their introduction.

It's like they're only there to bring a varied face to the heroes side each issue. And Amy was only chosen for this because she's the only one they could have attack Rough without touching or outright trying to kill him.

What about Whisper and Espio?

They both have long ranged attacks.

Amy was chosen here because Sonic's gotta know about the off-screen adventures of the resistance.

I have to say, the zombot idea is kinda clever, but a bit complicated in how this infection really works. The two new skunk characters really do not seem to be living creatures anymore. Amy chomp one of them his arm off and it grew back. They are nothing more than a walking goo of liquid metal.  

2 hours ago, Legosi (Ogilvie) said:

I'm just happy these comics won't do the Ass Pull Unleashed did where Sonic has such immense, immeasurable willpower that he can not be conquered by any corrupting influence.

Which means we get to see this series briefly become the Running Dead after Sonic is fully converted, leaving us wondering who will make it out of the virus, before it's all reset.

Hide contents

I swear if the world is saved by Big the Cat...

I still think to this day that Archie did that one plot point fifty times better with Control, right down to Control being one of the strongest arcs of the series. Sonic getting corrupted by Dark Gaia properly, his viewpoints and perspective on the world being forcefully altered and misshapen, every word twisted to be an instigating insult towards him, etc. I liked how he had to get help to overcome the influence, rather than just being so good that it has no will over him.

• Thumbs Up 6

I personally don’t mind Sonic being untouchable in that sense so long as he’s the catalyst for development in everyone around him. That said, if the plot is telling me that I should be invested in Sonic overcoming such an obstacle despite not having to work for it, then we have a problem.

I think Archie found a great balance in Control, though—still having him be incorruptible at the end but still needing to work for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Legosi (Ogilvie) said:

In fairness that would make less sense with something that's a virus that effects you physically (followed by mentally--and I won't be too surprised if we see someone, whether it's Sonic or someone else, resist that part at least), as opposed to like a magical force that could theoretically be resisted.

As for Unleashed, personally I softened on that part since technically it wasn't confirmed; Chip doesn't know that's what happened. Sonic's own speculation that Chip's presence had protected him is just as plausible. Archie's take even supports that kind of, as Sonic didn't meet up with Chip until after getting control of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Legosi (Ogilvie) said:

How is it an asspull. It fits his character perfectly. He's always been supremely confident and genuinely believes in himself, so much so that he isn't susceptible to the corrupting influence of a dark god whose entire shtick is preying on people's doubts and negativity to shatter hope and all things good in the world. He becomes the world's sole symbol of hope against this embodiment of darkness. It's like one of the few times the games made an effort to explore Sonic as a character and not a prop to move a plot forward (which is fine, mind you, but it's nice to mix it up). It's certainly more interesting than the generic Hulk "don't lose control" thing Archie went with.

This feels like when people say Superman is a shit character because he's "too OP".

Explore-ed somewhat, it's definitely more interesting.

But the explanation in Unleashed was a simple hand-wave...so ya know, that's not satisfying narrative wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

How is it an asspull. It fits his character perfectly. He's always been supremely confident and genuinely believes in himself, so much so that he isn't susceptible to the corrupting influence of a dark god whose entire shtick is preying on people's doubts and negativity to shatter hope and all things good in the world. He becomes the world's sole symbol of hope against this embodiment of darkness. It's like one of the few times the games made an effort to explore Sonic as a character and not a prop to move a plot forward (which is fine, mind you, but it's nice to mix it up). It's certainly more interesting than the generic Hulk "don't lose control" thing Archie went with.

This feels like when people say Superman is a shit character because he's "too OP".

I'm all for a character overcoming the impossible with determination and spirit and all that, but I think if something's going to go in that direction, they've got to make a fight out of it. If Sonic had spent the game fighting off some kind of mental corruption and then at some climactic moment overcame it out of sheer force of will then that'd work for me, but to have a whole game where the werehog curse is hardly more than an annoyance, where there's little if any mental effect while other people are getting possessed and going wild, and then to have a scene near the end of the game where they say "oh well Sonic's so strong and pure so it was never even a problem" just feels lame. Let the hero have a moment of weakness and show him overcome it, don't just tell me that he's been invincible all along.

e: like, that first scene with Amy, where she ends up not recognizing him, and he ends up feeling kinda shit? Have a few more scenes like that, plant some doubts in his head about how strong his identity actually is, and then he starts to lose it. Then build up to a point where he says "no, fuck this, I'm Sonic the fucking Hedgehog" and snaps back to his senses.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

What about Whisper and Espio?

They both have long ranged attacks.

Amy was chosen here because Sonic's gotta know about the off-screen adventures of the resistance.

Without outright trying to kill him.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Uh, they done anything yet tough...?

...What exact relevance does me saying why I thought Control was better in regards to how Unleashed handled Dark Gaia's corruption to this quote?

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

Sonic's own speculation that Chip's presence had protected him is just as plausible. Archie's take even supports that kind of, as Sonic didn't meet up with Chip until after getting control of it.

Oh, so the game did acknowledge that? Okay.

Without outright trying to kill him.

Whisper and Espio would try to kill..."him"?

I removed Shadow and E-123 Omega from that post specifically because of the killing thing.

They regenerate it's all cool.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

...What exact relevance does me saying why I thought Control was better in regards to how Unleashed handled Dark Gaia's corruption to this quote?

I realized I misunderstood what you meant and deleted that. Though you clearly quoted me before I got the chance.

Just now, DabigRG said:

I realized I misunderstood what you meant and deleted that. Though you clearly quoted me before I got the chance.

And that's fair enough, I just didn't know if you were legitimately asking me about something in regards to it.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Whisper and Espio would try to kill..."him"?

They regenerate it's all cool.

Because Shuriken and Wisp powered gunshots can do legit damage.

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And that's fair enough, I just didn't know if you were legitimately asking me about something in regards to it.

Don't worry about it.

I'm not sure what legit damage really means in this case.

Until the limit is explained, this is Majin Boo regen...where every attack is non-lethal until they are.

I also highly doubt a shuriken will do much better than a Hammer here.

The difference between piercing and blunt weapons shouldn't matter.

21 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm not sure what legit damage really means in this case.

Until the limit is explained, this is Majin Boo regen...where every attack is non-lethal until they are.

I also highly doubt a shuriken will do much better than a Hammer in this case.

The difference between piercing and blunt weapons shouldn't matter.

The point of the moment is that the sidekick was meant to attack a Skunk and seemingly do far more damage than intended, only for them to regenerate.

Kinda hard for Espio or Whisper to reasonably do so.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Amy Rose and Sonic the Hedgehog would tell them about the regen...as it is only natural to do so.

In that scenario, they would know and only attack when necessary. Not needing to repeat the Amy moment.