Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Silver in the games and Silver in the comics have very different personalities.

You could say gave him a new personality more or less.

They're different because Silver's allowed to actually be expressive.

Silver's personality in the comics is based on the his Nex Gen traits.

Sonic Forces is the weird Silverness.

25 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They're different because Silver's allowed to actually be expressive.

Silver's personality in the comics is based on the his Nex Gen traits.

Sonic Forces is the weird Silverness.

Wut. Next Gen Silver was super edgy tho. This is a lovable nerdy wimp.

In Sonic's opening cutscene maybe, but that's only because...mystery character and intrigue.

There's nothing "edgy" about him in that game, you would know based on every single bit of dialogue he has.

Bad writing makes him seem annoying to be honest, that's all. Forces as we know had every character show little personality.

Has any new information been unearthed regarding Sonic Mega Drive : Overdrive? I have both first 2 issues (which I have not read so not sure if the story is even left up in the air) Has anything been leaked or made public. thanks!

Wait, so....

let's start with the fact that I absolutely don't care about Sonic's comics and other canons that aren't the main games, though...

So they brought Cream back? She exists? because lately it looked like she was going to be scrapped from the series completely.

I'm happy that she will appear in the comics, and according to that artwork I have seen a few pages ago, it seems she will

Spoiler

fight alongside Gmerl

a thing that I wanted to see of her since after Advance 3.

I hope this somehow influences the games canon as well, because as much as I don't want Cream to be scrapped/retired, I also would like to have Gmerl back because it's such a cool character and I prefer his design/abilities/backstory over Metal Sonic's.

I don't think any Sonic character will be forgotten unless they do not have the typical appealing Sonic-design or serve as meme fodder like Big does. I think only human and human-like characters like Maria, Elise, Shahra and Merlina, and non-sexy anthro-characters like the Deadly Six and Lyric will be sooner or later written off for good. Maybe even the Whisp some day.

But characters like Cream will stay and show up sooner or later. I'm pretty sure that Sticks and Marine will also show up sooner or later. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I think its cause shes polite and a cute little bunny. Otherwise she really bring noting to the table in terms of story or power. she does get along with gmerl i guess?

She mostly adds some speciation to the recurring cast.

8 hours ago, Razule said:

I thought Gemerl was Emerl rebuilt?

He sorta is?

Like, don't ask how Eggman got any of him, but yeah, when he used the Super Genesis Wave to split the world into several different zones(or possibly beforehand), he remade the Gizoid into Gemerl--the Ultimate Fighting Robot.

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Cream also brings Vanilla into the story, which is great because the world needs at least a few adults to prop up in a world full of teenagers. Then there is the on again off again sidekick potential she has with Amy.

On that note, we need a little more Vanilla sprinkled in here and there. I liked how Amy kind of had to report back to her regarding Cream's adventures in Archie. It was cute.

Vanilla is another anomaly within the series, being a character presumably older than 25 and a parent & family member to a major recurring character.

It would be sorta neat if they could do a little something with her..

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

In Battle we had Emerl who was destroyed at the end.

In Sonic Advance 3 Eggman rebuilt him as Gemerl and made him evil, he was again destroyed at the end. But Tails rebuilt him and made him good.

Then in the comics Ian Flynn gave him a personality just like he gave Silver a personality

It's not hard to understand.

CobDZ1-WAAA06yY.jpgd7njnx0-ef16d5a9-9db2-4c1f-9daa-a3ced11f

Are those images fanmade or actually from the game?

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Flynn makes the characters more interesting and gives them more personality.

Hm...that's fair.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Silver in the games and Silver in the comics have very different personalities.

You could say gave him a new personality more or less.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

In Sonic's opening cutscene maybe, but that's only because...mystery character and intrigue.

There's nothing "edgy" about him in that game, you would know based on every single bit of dialogue he has.

That's something that I realized after Dash complained a while back and TVTropes made the distinction of this one acting more like Archie one. 

It's kinda odd.

1 hour ago, rid1ey said:

Has any new information been unearthed regarding Sonic Mega Drive : Overdrive? I have both first 2 issues (which I have not read so not sure if the story is even left up in the air) Has anything been leaked or made public. thanks!

I would have to backcheck through some stuff, but I think there is some complication about licensing in the way.

One thing I do remember being alluded to once is that the final boss was supposed to be something special or clever.

27 minutes ago, Iko said:

So they brought Cream back? She exists? because lately it looked like she was going to be scrapped from the series completely.

I'm happy that she will appear in the comics, and according to that artwork I have seen a few pages ago, it seems she will

Hide contents

fight alongside Gmerl

a thing that I wanted to see of her since after Advance 3.

I hope this somehow influences the games canon as well, because as much as I don't want Cream to be scrapped/retired, I also would like to have Gmerl back because it's such a cool character and I prefer his design/abilities over Metal Sonic's.

I really don't wanna say she was being scrapped per say...? SonicTeam just seemed to suddenly want to avoid using her in major productions all of a sudden.

Glad to have her in the limelight again, though.

35 minutes ago, Iko said:

I hope this somehow influences the games canon as well, because as much as I don't want Cream to be scrapped/retired, I also would like to have Gmerl back 

Not sure how that's an exception/contradiction...?

37 minutes ago, Iko said:

, I also would like to have Gmerl back because it's such a cool character and I prefer his design/abilities over Metal Sonic's.

Yeah, I definitely agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, rid1ey said:

I wish there was. A copy is lurking around in the internet but I never found it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Not sure how that's an exception/contradiction...?

My english sucks so I may write weird sentences occasionally, though I think you got the point...

10 minutes ago, Rowl said:

I don't think any Sonic character will be forgotten unless they do not have the typical appealing Sonic-design or serve as meme fodder like Big does. I think only human and human-like characters like Maria, Elise, Shahra and Merlina, and non-sexy anthro-characters like the Deadly Six and Lyric will be sooner or later written off for good. Maybe even the Whisp some day.

Uh, I suppose that's a decent metric for sort of thing?

Granted, the consistent thing with the four females there is that, like a number of other villains, they were really meant to be relatively self-contained one-shots from the get go. Maria is dead, Shahra and Merlina are literally storybook characters, and Elise's connection to the main series was mostly rectonned with Solaris's extinguishment.

The Deadly Six are something of an exception seemingly by [non-literal?] design and the Wisps just became an weird anomaly unto themselves after the fact.

And Lyric just seems to be embargoed in general.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

I wish there was. A copy is lurking around in the internet but I never found it.

Oh yeah, I heard about that. Was it completed?

3 minutes ago, Iko said:

My english sucks so I may write weird sentences occasionally, though I think you got the point...

Okay, sorry bout that. I got ya.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Fanmade

Okay, just making sure.

Interesting touch that it's Tails there.

• Fist Bump 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

Oh yeah, I heard about that. Was it completed?

It's said to be completed, the only thing not done was the colors.

I wish I could find it.

8 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Cream also brings Vanilla into the story, which is great because the world needs at least a few adults to prop up in a world full of teenagers. Then there is the on again off again sidekick potential she has with Amy.

I gotta be honest outside of a few characters like Charmy and Cream I question the canon ages. They don't seem to have to go to school or have any kind of standard teen stuff going on.

Plus there's stuff like how Amy appeared to live on her own in Station Square (theoretically in an Apartment like in Sonic X) and had income to "Shop till she drops" which seems odd for a 12 year old. 

It's kinda like how the Mane Six on MLP have jobs and stuff but Equestria Girls makes them High School Students. It's weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I gotta be honest outside of a few characters like Charmy and Cream I question the canon ages. They don't seem to have to go to school or have any kind of standard teen stuff going on.

Plus there's stuff like how Amy appeared to live on her own in Station Square (theoretically in an Apartment like in Sonic X) and had income to "Shop till she drops" which seems odd for a 12 year old. 

It's kinda like how the Mane Six on MLP have jobs and stuff but Equestria Girls makes them High School Students. It's weird.

At the very least in Equestria Girls case, they had a discrepancy between pony and humane lifespans to fall back on as a handwave.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I question the ages too, the cast seems a bit way too young for the way they act, I think even Charmy and Cream don't seem to be 6 and more like 9, Tails should 12, Amy 16, Sonic 18, Knuckles 19, Rouge 20, Blaze 17, Silver 17, Espio 20, Vector 22... Like all of them with should have three years more they actually do.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I consider all of them between 20-25

Except Tails, Cream and Charmy which are between 10-15

I think that's a bit extreme, Sonic, Amy, Silver, Blaze seem like late teenagers. Rouge, Knuckles, Big and even Shadow seem to be young adults like 19-25. Espio however, no way in hell he is 16. I am not comfortable thinking that a 20 year old and a 16 year old somewhat adopted a 6 year old. 

There is no way Tails, Cream and Charmy are 15 though. They are kids, at max Tails is a preteen.

So, what do ya'll think of each of the original characters and how they've been used & developed thus far? What do you hope to see happen and/or progress with them in the future?

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So, what do ya'll think of each of the original characters and how they've been used & developed thus far?

We know very little about most of them.

Why does Whisper hate Eggman?

Why does Starline love Eggman?

Nothing answered.

6 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Nothing answered.

Why does Whisper hate Eggman AND possibly Shadow

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Nothing answered.

Yeah its almost like those are plot lines to develop at a later point or something. 😛

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 2

While you can question the age ranges of the teen characters due to their actions, mindsets and personas, I think the series does draw a fairly distinctive line between child and adult.

The older characters in the series, Rouge and Vector both have bonnafide jobs. Vanilla is a stay at home mom. 

They at least act and behave more like adults than the children running around on the front lines lol 

• Thumbs Up 2