Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

We know very little about most of them.

Why does Whisper hate Eggman?

Why does Starline love Eggman?

Nothing answered.

Dude were only less then 15 volumes in this series , my Bets are that Starline is from the far future where there is peace and Starline was educated on Eggman"s past crimes and might have become intrigued because Those sort of people exist.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

We know very little about most of them.

Why does Whisper hate Eggman?

Why does Starline love Eggman?

Nothing answered.

Well, yeah, but I was just asking for general thoughts and considerations.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah its almost like those are plot lines to develop at a later point or something. 😛

2 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Dude were only less then 15 volumes in this series ,

Well, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

my Bets are that Starline

Spoiler

is from the far future where there is peace and Starline was educated on Eggman"s past crimes and might have become intrigued because Those sort of people exist.

Yeah, that's sorta my thought as well.

• Nice Smile 1

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Like, don't ask how Eggman got any of him

He did copy Emerl's data before dumping him on Emerald Beach and made the Phi Series & Gemerl based on that data.

29 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

He did copy Emerl's data before dumping him on Emerald Beach and made the Phi Series & Gemerl based on that data.

Oh yeah, he would've had to do something like that! Nevermind.

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Dude were only less then 15 volumes in this series , my Bets are that Starline is from the far future where there is peace and Starline was educated on Eggman"s past crimes and might have become intrigued because Those sort of people exist.

That would be interesting there are people who idolize and even fall in love with horrible people. If he is from the future, It would be interesting to hear what he thinks about all the characters. Maybe offer small insights as to what happens with whom

3 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Why does Whisper hate Eggman AND possibly Shadow

They stole her first gunbrella

She's pissed

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

While you can question the age ranges of the teen characters due to their actions, mindsets and personas, I think the series does draw a fairly distinctive line between child and adult.

The older characters in the series, Rouge and Vector both have bonnafide jobs. Vanilla is a stay at home mom. 

They at least act and behave more like adults than the children running around on the front lines lol 

this is true

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I gotta be honest outside of a few characters like Charmy and Cream I question the canon ages. They don't seem to have to go to school or have any kind of standard teen stuff going on.

Plus there's stuff like how Amy appeared to live on her own in Station Square (theoretically in an Apartment like in Sonic X) and had income to "Shop till she drops" which seems odd for a 12 year old. 

It's kinda like how the Mane Six on MLP have jobs and stuff but Equestria Girls makes them High School Students. It's weird.

Sonic is a franchise aimed at kids, so it makes sense that the main characters are children. Their ages aren't just random either:

*Tails is 8 because he is the kid that admires Sonic and wants to be like him. Being younger also means he's somewhat inexperienced and struggles to be acknowledged by his surrogate big brother. Him sometimes not displaying child-like traits is more an issue with the writers than with the actual character,,since shows like the OVA or Boom TV has managed to achieved this

*Amy is 12 since she is right there in the thin line between still being a kid but also starting to blossom into a young lady and displays both aspects by being bratty and impulsive as well as still having an innocent view on things, but also shows some maturity when she needs to talk sense unto others or prioritizes what truly is important. Also, her age was increased to close the gap between her and Sonic due to their very particular dynamic. I mean, it's more acceptable than an 8 year having a crush on someone  that doubles her age. XD

*Sonic is 15 since that is the age when one feels adventurous and wants to experience new things. He also has established his own identity and image and gains the admiration of younger characters and the respect of those who are older, although he also tends to act reckless as he barely thinks about consequences.

*Knuckles being 16 makes sense in the context of feeling jealous of how this blue hedgehog that is just one year younger than him has bested him at his own game. It can both make Knuckles feel embarrassed since in a way, he is less experienced in life than Sonic (which has led to others taking advantage of Knuckles) but also drives him into catching up and try to be the better hero.

And so on. Probably the only character whose age might need to be increased is Espio, as his role as a shinobi implies that he is very disciplined and doesn't need to display teen-like traits. I wouldn't mind if he were 18 as it would put him at just two years younger than Vector... and make his affair totally legal. XP

Also, since the franchise runs mainly with Saturday morning cartoon logic, I don't think that explaining how the characters make a living is of any importance since it essentially serves no purpose, with the Chaotix being the sole exception since them struggling to make a living and paying the bills is played for laughs and to justify them taking all sorts of crazy jobs.

To be fair, it’s not like the “younger inexperienced person looking up to and admiring their older more experienced friend” concept can’t also be told with characters who are plenty older than Sonic and Tails.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think there was really a need to give them established ages beyond "young, hip, and cool" and what can be inferred from how they look and act.

But this is a cartoony game series about talking animals in a wacky world, so I don't think they're exactly mind blowing.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

I mean, it's more acceptable than an 8 year having a crush on someone  that doubles her age. XD

The fact that people are consistently confused by this will never not be ridiculous.

As if it's somehow impossible for a young girl to have a crush on an older boy...is crazy.

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The fact that people are consistently confused by this will never not be ridiculous.

As if it's somehow impossible for a young girl to have a crush on an older boy...is crazy.

Yes. Except the amount of times in which Sonic kind-of-sort-of reciprocated that crush would raise a lot of eyebrows if Amy were still 8...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Yes. Except the amount of times in which Sonic kind-of-sort-of reciprocated that crush would raise a lot of eyebrows if Amy were still 8...

Well that's why you just don't do most of it.

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

That would be why she was aged up, not the other thing.

He also never kinda sorta does except in Sonic X, so ya know...that's a thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

That would be why she was aged up, not the other thing.

He also never kinda sorta does except in Sonic X, so ya know...that's a thing.

Heck he calls her a "little girl" in Unleashed, he is clearly not all that into her.

24 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Heck he calls her a "little girl" in Unleashed, he is clearly not all that into her.

Ah, but that was 10 years ago. Obviously, she's 22 now. 🤓

• Chuckle 1

I never found the Sonic characters ages to believable Amy herself can drive, have a job and she's in a relationship with someone. 

1 minute ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I never found the Sonic characters ages to believable Amy herself can drive, have a job and she's in a relationship with someone. 

Oh, she and Dexter work things out?

• Chuckle 4
  • Fist Bump 2

Just now, DabigRG said:

Oh, she and Dexter work things out?

Nice joke but not good enough the answer is Sonic silly.

Just now, Fire-N-Space said:

Nice joke but not good enough the answer is Sonic silly.

Thank you--it took me 2 seconds.

Anyway, to address my own question a bit before bed:

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So, what do ya'll think of each of the original characters and how they've been used & developed thus far? What do you hope to see happen and/or progress with them in the future?

While I don't really have an outright favorite, I'd say they probably rank some like this:

1. Skunk Bros *
  2. Dr. Starline
  3. Lanolin *
  4. Whisper
  5. Scruffy *
  6. Tangle

I can go into more detail when I get the chance.

Sonic is a power fantasy for kids. They are the age they are to appeal to that demographic. They get a little more autonomy than the average teen gets but otherwise I can't think of anything that suggest that their ages are off. They're not the most mature bunch.

I don't really see how them being able to take care of business on their own is nonsensical either. They don't have parents to coddle them. 

When people try to enforce older ages onto them it feels like projection imo.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sonic is a power fantasy for kids. They are the age they are to appeal to that demographic. They get a little more autonomy than the average teen gets but otherwise I can't think of anything that suggest that their ages are off. They're not the most mature bunch.

I don't really see how them being able to take care of business on their own is nonsensical either. They don't have parents to coddle them. 

When people try to enforce older ages onto them it feels like projection imo.

Sorry but there is no way Espio is only 16, there is things to be believable but not that lmao

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

Sorry but there is no way Espio is only 16, there is things to be believable but not that lmao

What makes you think otherwise?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:
  • Lanolin *
  • Scruffy *

Yo, who is these 2 characters? These names don't look familiarity.

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

What makes you think otherwise?

He's too short to be 16. What 16 year old is 3 feet tall?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

16 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Yo, who is these 2 characters? These names don't look familiarity.

I’m assuming Elder Scruffy (the goat mayor from issues 5 and 6) and the background sheep character from issue 2.

None of the Sonic characters parents ever get acknowledge by the story so where exactly did all the adults go?