Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Zulon Eredas said:

The series has lasted long then the Sonic Boom comic.

That...certainly is a factual statement. 

24 minutes ago, Razule said:

This is a comic book about Sonic the Hedgehog.

Hey, this isn't the unpopular opinions topic.

Silly question but do we know when the Tangle & Whisper mini-series starts coming out?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

Silly question but do we know when the Tangle & Whisper mini-series starts coming out?

Issue #0 is coming out on 24th April, hopefully it won't be delayed.

• Nice Smile 1

8 hours ago, Celestia said:

It hasn't been solicited yet but the issue 0 solicit said it's supposed to start in the summer. So I'm guessing July or August. 

MLP discussion has been moved to the appropriate thread. Please redirect the conversation there. Thanks!

Next issue is out a week today, right?

I wonder at what point the first friend is lost to the virus. Issue 18’s current description seems to imply Sonic has already lost that friend at that point, so I’m not sure if it will be issue 17 (therefore one of the Chaotix?) or sooner in issue 16 (Tangle? Tails?) or if it’s just really badly worded and it does happen during issue 18. I’m really curious who it is anyway, and whether it’ll be a very quick infection ala Rough and Tumble or a slow-spreading infection like Sonic’s.

15 minutes ago, caitash said:

Next issue is out a week today, right?

Hide contents

I wonder at what point the first friend is lost to the virus. Issue 18’s current description seems to imply Sonic has already lost that friend at that point, so I’m not sure if it will be issue 17 (therefore one of the Chaotix?) or sooner in issue 16 (Tangle? Tails?) or if it’s just really badly worded and it does happen during issue 18. I’m really curious who it is anyway, and whether it’ll be a very quick infection ala Rough and Tumble or a slow-spreading infection like Sonic’s.

Considering the Skunk Bros had a bunch of it burst on their backs at once, I'm going with the latter.

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

According to Previews World, Issue 16 is delayed to May 8th.

3 weeks seems a pretty big jump to me, or is that quite normal in the monthly comic world?

13 minutes ago, caitash said:

3 weeks seems a pretty big jump to me, or is that quite normal in the monthly comic world?

It's normal for IDW. They've been bad about delays for a couple years now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit, I just remembered next comic features Cream, Cheese, and Gemerl.

Boy, can the passing of time make you forgetful, eh?

• Thumbs Up 1

I admittedly forgot about this little project in the shuffle, so I'll skip the support and get to the next major.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, DabigRG said:

So, what do ya'll think of each of the original characters and how they've been used & developed thus far? What do you hope to see happen and/or progress with them in the future?

On 3/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, DabigRG said:

4. Whisper

Whisper the Wolf is arguably the most solid IDW original character overall. Much like Dr. Starline after her, she's generally had a pretty establishing introduction, has a clear impact and relevance within the story, brings a mysterious element in a series otherwise prioritizing immediate thrills, has intriguing little nods towards her eventual backstory and motives, and promising potential for later story developments. Of course, unlike him, she's been used rather sparingly plot-wise so far and easily the character that's gotten the least emphasis overall. Thus all that stuff are pending subsequent major appearances and/or those that decide to properly focus on her.

Apparently having been active throughout the War as the enigmatic Guardian Angel, Whisper and unlike most of the Resistance, did so on her own. Or rather, on her own as a Mobian aside from her variable(ha) collection of Wisps, who she appears to share a mutual connection with. It wasn't until Sonic and Silver(who was ecstatically familiar with her, possibly due to being Knuckles right hand) arrived at one of Eggman's bases that she eventually showed herself after seeing her Wisp friends happily greet Sonic. She then worked with them to defeat E-107 Theta so they could use a terminal she nearly smashed in a rage to get an idea of what Neo Metal Sonic had planned and accompanied them to meet with their other friends & allies to free Angel Island. It was during this meetup and ensuing final battle that she expressed silent disdain for Shadow and apparently struck up a [temporary?] partnership with Tangle.

Overall, one of the most striking things about Whisper from an appeal standpoint is how she's wholly integrated and embracing of elements from the games. She fits in perfectly with the events and developments of Forces by being an voluntarily independent ally of the Resistance and making use of her Variable Wispon, in addition to having a particularly trusting interpersonal relationship with the various Wisps she keeps in her cloak.  

She's also notable for how she was characterized as an intentional contrast to most other Sonic characters, with different personality, capabilities, and likely morality. Whisper is well known for being shy and quiet, to the point of appearing selectively mute and initially avoidant towards others besides her Wisps. With that said, she does have a much more chilling side underneath, being precise in her aggression, apparently having lefts piles of robot parts from her battles, and bearing an unspoken hatred towards Dr. Eggman and for some reason Shadow. As for more direct comparisons to other characters, she is indeed a withdrawn & tranquil opposite next to the confident Sonic and scrappy Tangle. But she does share a few similarities with the ironic likes of Shadow and (according Dash Speed) Cream; she is mysterious and aloof on one hand, yet gentle and mannerly on the other. This distinctions in her behavior and outlook may ensure that she has distinct and interesting interactions with the other cast members in the issues to come.

As for any criticisms I could personally give to how she's been thus far, literally the only one I can come up with off the top of my head is probably her color scheme. Whisper is a biscotti(?) wolf with a brown muzzle, white spots around her eyes, and grey eyeshadow. She who is clad in a cream tube top, grey leggings & gloves, and a gray cloak with matching boots. Her trademark Kabuki-esque mask-scope, the actual armaments, and her personal Wisp Capsules are also different amounts of cream, gray, and grey, with cadet blue highlights in places to match her rarely not squinting eyes. Now I should note that her overall design and look is actually fine for what it is; it's just a minor little weirdness with me personally and even that's something I'm mostly over.

As for details regarding her future within the IDW comic series, that is mostly dependent on things yet to come. She IS due to get her own miniseries this year, which I am a certain degree of fuzzy about. On one hand, she is a fairly new character that hasn't really earned it(whether it's about her or not) due to it coming so early in the series' lifespan and is herself comparable to the likes of Thrash the Devil in that she's more suited to being a major supporting character within the main book for the main cast & having her character's arc unfold a good bit there in conjunction with what's already going on. But on the other hand, she is technically a character that's well-rounded enough to potentially warrant such a limelight/spinoff story and take proper advantage of having one some day in the future.

And finally onto any speculation around her in itself, what's not already been alluded to is rather miniscule and more about little nuggets for developments in the main cast than anything truly in line with that of Dr. Starline. But for the sake of it, I'd say my thoughts on her consists of the following:

Spoiler
  • She is a survivor of some direct terror from the Eggman Empire itself
  • May be the result of an experiment that may or may not have been successful aside from perhaps her survival
  • The Variable Wispon is an experimental design she managed to get working as her personal weapon, either from Tails, brief investigations from Dr. Eggman, or perhaps a product of her own salvaging
  • She has it out for Shadow either because he witnessed whatever happened to her but didn't help or more likely/safely the Phantom Ruby clones of him wrecked havoc in an area/battle that meant something to her

• Thumbs Up 2

You know @DabigRG reading your detailed analysis of Whisper (good read by the way) got me thinking of my own little theory.

Spoiler

It obviously doesn't work in any capacity unfortunately due to Infinite being off limits and all, but I now find myself playing with the idea of Whisper having been a member of the Jackal Squad. Sure she's a wolf but considering all of the theories involving the Avatar/Buddy that were going around influencing my thoughts right now it's still a possibility I could see working.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

You know @DabigRG reading your detailed analysis of Whisper (good read by the way) got me thinking of my own little theory.

Hide contents

It obviously doesn't work in any capacity unfortunately due to Infinite being off limits and all, but I now find myself playing with the idea of Whisper having been a member of the Jackal Squad. Sure she's a wolf but considering all of the theories involving the Avatar/Buddy that were going around influencing my thoughts right now it's still a possibility I could see working.

Oh, thanks!

It was supposed to be more of a brisk assessment like the previous two, but unfortunately, I don't feel strongly enough about Whisper subjectively to really do that.

Also, it's a leftover habit from other things I've been writing lately.

As for your theory,

Spoiler

I think lax or someone else had a similar thought.

After all, we never see the Jackal Squad in game and the ones we see in the tie-in comics are mainly basic dopplegangers who could either be retconned in design or be passed off as just a segment of Infinite's mercenary group.

And yes, that extra correlation with Buddy would be cheeky.

Unexpected part 2, to the GUN/Team Dark Question on the bumblecast.

The question was

" Well ok if they don't work for gun, are they contract workers "

He has no idea , its undefined and is one of the reasons why he's going to avoid as much as he can the two worlds thing in the book.

Also for all who care, tangle is around sonic's size.

• Chuckle 1

Issue 16th confirmed to be delayed but we'll still get the Tangle Whisper issue #0 this month and it's FREE.

tumblr_pq20mqTauh1s9pusko1_500.png

So this means we're getting three Sonic comics in May if things go to plan. May 1st for the Sonic Annual, May 8th for #16, and 29th May for #17.

• Thumbs Up 7

Okay, time to do these two longer-than-I-expected simultaneously:

On 3/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, DabigRG said:

So, what do ya'll think of each of the original characters and how they've been used & developed thus far? What do you hope to see happen and/or progress with them in the future?

3.Lanolin *

Lanolin the Sheep* is unique among these IDW OCs in that, unlike even her counterpart, she was seemingly never meant to be much of an affecting character in her own right. She was confirmed to be only identified as a "Villager" in the second issue's script, with no specifications made as to her name, appearance, or even gender. She just happened to end up being a sheep girl with horns in an orange & blue dress in the final pencils.

So what got her where she is primarily due to her cute and unique design. Though it may also help that she had underplayed prominence in one of the best issues, as well as being first seen as one of the background civilians on the cover. Either way, she exists in that form simply because the artist of that issue, Adam Bryce Thomas, decided to get creative with some of the extra designs. He even later gave her a name on a fun scribble of her when he saw how people took to her.

And of course, that pretty much outlines why I liked the character. While the buildup to the IDW comic's release via solicits and other marketing was a mixed and somewhat controversial time, seeing this timid ewe on the main cover of Issue 2 was a small positive. In addition to liking the design, Lanolin is a product and example of the creativity and perhaps even passion  a series like this can have in various forms--done for the art, you might say. And it has been appreciated, as fans have apparently given her something of a following. Also, I think I recall her having a cameo in the first issue of the current arc, being company to Amy no less? I don't know if that could be a small hint that she could get a proper hire for the book and I doubt it, but that's fine.

*No, not that one.

5. Scruffy *

Elder Scruffy was the presumed mayor of Windmill Village, where Dr. Eggman ended up following the Phantom Ruby War.  Wise, polite, and compassionate, the old goat nonetheless took the dictator into custody due to his infamy across Sonic's World. But, upon seeing him broken out of his cell just to reinforce it, plus the precaution of watching him over the course of several days, the village realized that he was suffering from amnesia and was no longer egomaniacal, bombastic, and dangerous. Thus, they renamed him Mr. Tinker and accepted him as a helpful member of their village.

Eventually, the Chaotic Detective Agency and later Sonic followed a lead that brought there to investigate the doctor's current condition. After interacting with him themselves, protecting the village from a Badnik Horde attack, and protecting him from Team Dark before seeing his version of Egg Man Land, they eventually conceded to let Mr. Tinker live in peace. Unfortunately, Tinker would later be abducted by Rough & Tumble, be restored to his former identity as Eggman by Dr. Starline, and then send the Skunk Bros. back with weapons to take over the village a week later so they could take revenge on Sonic. Scruffy himself was tied up in a tree, where he would be found by Sonic & Tails and help the later free his villages from the community center while the Unbreakable Bond deal with the mercenaries.

Perhaps the most notable thing about Scruffy from an out of universe perspective is the minor controversy that started more or less with his introduction. While I first noticed this in the previous issue, Scruffy was the official start of the Ol No Name trend that the comic's first arc was criticized for. I believe and mostly agree that the reason this is is due to how despite being a specific character with a particular design and role within Issue 5, the elder was never given a name when he introduced himself. He may have been relatively minor in the overall story arc, but Scruffy was also a distinct figure in an issue that had a very significant development for it. As a character in himself, he's alright--he had a simple role a play in a somewhat complex context and he played it well by being ultimately forgiving, yet initially skeptical.

On 4/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, Shadowlax said:

Also for all who care, tangle is around sonic's size.

Keh.

I was just thinking, switching companion characters for Sonic per issue has usually been written with the most mundane of handwaves, but for going from issue 15 to 16 it actually is a lot more reasonable. After all, Sonic is infected with something he has no clue what it is so he can't carry Amy out of the base while he rushes for Tails for some desperately needed knowhow. It's not just a narrative handwave/convenience , but something that makes logical sense on it's own.

34 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I was just thinking, switching companion characters for Sonic per issue has usually been written with the most mundane of handwaves, but for going from issue 15 to 16 it actually is a lot more reasonable. After all, Sonic is infected with something he has no clue what it is so he can't carry Amy out of the base while he rushes for Tails for some desperately needed knowhow. It's not just a narrative handwave/convenience , but something that makes logical sense on it's own.

I mean...I guess that makes sense. Yeah, that's fairly logical.

Solicitations for July, featuring StH #19 and Tangle and Whisper #1! 

StH #19

blBLea2.jpg

Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Ryan Jampole (c)

"Crisis City, Part 1"! Eggman's reign of terror continues! Sonic races to help Team Dark rescue civilians from a major city, but his own Metal Virus infection is getting worse! Outnumbered, how long can Sonic outrun the inevitable? And who else will fall?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Cover B by Lamar Wells & Reggie Graham

StH: Tangle and Whisper #1

WylhAFL.jpg

Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a & c)

Tangle the Lemur's got a problem: there's not enough action in her life! Whisper the Wolf's also got a problem: she's hunting down an incredibly dangerous enemy named Sonic the Hedgehog! Can Tangle and Whisper help each other solve their problems, or will they just make things worse?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Cover B by Nathalie Fourdraine

Guess some people's fears that Sonic's infection would be solved super quickly were unfounded after all.

• Thumbs Up 7

34 minutes ago, Rabbit Ears CC14 said:

Solicitations for July, featuring StH #19 and Tangle and Whisper #1! 

Hide contents

StH #19

blBLea2.jpg

Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Ryan Jampole (c)

"Crisis City, Part 1"! Eggman's reign of terror continues! Sonic races to help Team Dark rescue civilians from a major city, but his own Metal Virus infection is getting worse! Outnumbered, how long can Sonic outrun the inevitable? And who else will fall?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Cover B by Lamar Wells & Reggie Graham

StH: Tangle and Whisper #1

WylhAFL.jpg

Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a & c)

Tangle the Lemur's got a problem: there's not enough action in her life! Whisper the Wolf's also got a problem: she's hunting down an incredibly dangerous enemy named Sonic the Hedgehog! Can Tangle and Whisper help each other solve their problems, or will they just make things worse?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Cover B by Nathalie Fourdraine

Guess some people's fears that Sonic's infection would be solved super quickly were unfounded after all.

Spoiler

Team Dark and what is that behind Sonic? Also, 06 reference.

The foq is Whisper doing tho? 🤯