Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Egh, I got a chance here, I guess I better get this little series done.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, DabigRG said:

So, what do ya'll think of each of the original characters and how they've been used & developed thus far? What do you hope to see happen and/or progress with them in the future?

On 3/23/2019 at 10:03 PM, DabigRG said:

6. Tangle

Tangle the Lemur is an excitable citizen with an unusual long tail and a need for action. A kindred spirit to Sonic himself, she is scrappy, mischievous, and athletic. Fifteen years old with a thirst for adventure and excitement, Tangle enjoys fighting bad guys. She can use her prehensile tail with skill and power in variety of ways, acting as a versatile third arm. Also, her favorite food is strawberries.

During the Phantom Ruby War, Tangle joined the Resistance in fighting against the Eggman Empire by protecting the areas around her hometown. Once the war was over and the world was still being terrorized by the leftover Badnik Hordes, she met the world-renowned hero Sonic the Hedgehog and fought alongside him, as well as Blaze the Cat, to destroy a Buzzbomber-esque dropship. Some time later, she would travel to Resistance HQ alongside Team Dark and Whisper the Wolf to assist Sonic and The Resistance in stopping Neo Metal Sonic's plan involving Angel Island. It was following this final battle that she befriended the enigmatic Whisper despite their contrasting personas and left to return to her hometown having tasted real action. 

So now that we've got that extensive recap out of the way, let's talk about this ring tailed Lemur. Speaking somewhat personally, I never really cared for Tangle. There could be a number of reasons or perhaps a lack thereof for why that is, but I do not like her. With or without comparison to the other characters or the amount of fanfare she's been given, she hasn't really done or added much to the cast or to the series. Though her design is good, I guess.

21 hours ago, kimplix said:

Got that RI cover for issue 17 

latest?cb=20190425190740

Heh. I like that noir look.

Found an image of a panel from the Sonic Annual-

Spoiler

tumblr_pqqzpqZfqO1s9pusko1_540.pnj

The textless version of this was found from Hernandez's patron as a cover photo or something. This is probably from story one.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Found an image of a panel from the Sonic Annual-

Hide contents

tumblr_pqqzpqZfqO1s9pusko1_540.pnj

The textless version of this was found from Hernandez's patron as a cover photo or something. This is probably from story one.

Spoiler

There's something new. Whisper REALLY doesn't like getting intimate, judging by an open eye being shown. She's not angry about it, I'd think, just deeply disturbed.

Oh hey. I decided to take some notes (more like transcribe) for Sonic-related questions in Bumblekast #90.
Bit messy, may have missed some info. I included the question and timestamp for those who want to listen for themselves:

Spoiler

(55:21) Arryn: I put one here, I use to talk to George RR Martin about development character asking him character development, he said the best way to develop a character by taking away what means most to them. To the main point to Flynn would ever break sonic leg or legs in a way for him to rediscover himself.

• First off, stop talking to Martin so he can finish the BLOODY BOOK!!! *laugh*
  • I think broader scope of question is: Would I do something to Sonic to...take something he desire to motivate his character
  • I don't think breaking his legs is necessary, but I get it, it’s his signature thing
  • I think Martin means more generally thematic, although can be direct as well: we can take Speed/freedom/friends….without having to be graphic dismemberment or maiming...SEGA would never let that happen
  • The answer is, I already have. Volume 1 era: slowly built back Sonic and Sally’s relationship, first friendship, then romance, then, *gosh*….dozen of dozen of issues, finally gonna hook back together, then BOOM! Sally is a killer robot.
  • That is taking that thing away: Sonic had that stable lifetime and love returned to him...and THEN we took it away, which prompted the story arc that followed.
  • We had Sonic’s close circle friends, the FF, this cohesive unit that have been through thick & thin. Then we have Bunny deroboticized, Sally’s a robot, Antonie is on the brink of death….everything is in an upheaval. Sonic’s sense of family & support are gone, motivating him to start up team Freedom, team Fighters, go out and bring Sally back, let’s take these things they want most away, that motivated him to go forward
  • With regards to IDW: we’re KINDA approaching with the metal virus saga.
  • Don’t want to fine point yet since story very young….but as year & continue reading, keep that mentality in mind: What are we taking away from Sonic through the course of the storyline, and how is it motivating his actions…..and I think you will see some of that coming into play here.

(58:33) DoubleAMR_9: Just a question for you about Whisper the Wolf. Does she have a backstory in the works regarding her past experience with Eggman and her disdain of Shadow, or is that being left up to fan interpretation?

• All I’m gonna say, is you really really really want to read the Tangle&Whisper crossover minievent miniseries.

(59:29) Clay A: Will we see any (mainline, not miniseries or one-offs) issues in IDW Sonic series that focus on only Sonic (or other characters not Sonic, to spice it up)? It's always Sonic with one or more people, and I feel the formula is starting to run a little dry.

• I don't know about the formula running dry, since that’s basically what the book has been since I've been writing it for the past 20 years.
  • If looking for character-focused SOnic-only story, no can’t see it happening any time soon.
  • Story primary focusing on extended cast doing something, I see that possibly as special one-off, but not in season 2.
  • Book is still very young, focus is Sonic, showcase extended cast as best as can.
  • Want Sonic to bounce off 1-2 characters, then endgame have everyone get together.
  • Did at end of Season 1 with neo metal soinc, but Season 2 will have Sonic & his interaction with certain characters as Metal saga escalates.

(1:01:01) James M: Ian, before the end of Archie Sonic, what were your long-term plans for Honey the Cat?

• Didn’t really have any.
  • Gonna be occasional cameo guest spot character.
  • Show up, have a fun adventure or two, then go about her merry way
  • Not become a regular FF or anything, no character arc or anything planned
  • Wasn’t even sure if we could use her when tried to. The fact we could use her was fun
  • If storyline continued, certainly thought up of something. But nothing immediately planned for long-term

(1:01:52) Brodie M: How would you feel if the Archie and IDW characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog comics were introduced into the games?

• If IDW character got in, be elated. Little vindicated too: Tangle specifically designed as a game character in my mind.
  • All are, in some degree or another. But Tangle ESPECIALLY was thought as game character first.
  • Character, if read Tangle&Whisper, you already met Jewels. If not, you will soon ***SPOILERS***
  • Not to get too deep *minor spoilers* even when designing her (Jewels), she was in my mind something to facilitate Tangle in a game fashion, then translate it back into comic form.
  • If any Archie Sonic got in, flabbergasted. For various reasons I probably shouldn’t get into...I’d be VERY happy, sure, but very surprised

(1:02:00ish) IMagoo04: How to I become sonic freedom fighters

• Well, uh…..If you would like to be part of FF, you can always create your own cahracter and write your own stories.
  • If you want to see more adventure of Sonic with the FF, you can always create more fan stuff
  • If you want to see them in official capacity, you can write into IDW and ask them to show up in the book
  • You are in good company, there are alot of people who want them back. The more hard evidence IDW has w/ letter/email/tweet/whatnot (CIVIL&SUPPORTIVE, mind you) it gives more basis to say “SEGA, look, they’re requested for years now, People really want them back, can we have access to them?”

You are in good company, there are alot of people who want them back. The more hard evidence IDW has w/ letter/email/tweet/whatnot (CIVIL&SUPPORTIVE, mind you) it gives more basis to say “SEGA, look, they’re requested for years now, People really want them back, can we have access to them?”

Huh so according to that Archie has no hold over the Freedom fighters

FINALLLY!!!!!!!! We got clarification on who owns them.... So its Sega who is holding them back and I knows who to blame for that.....

Bloody Iizuka probably, after all he wont let Mighty and Ray be in the IDW comics even though there is no reason not to have them.

This for me feels like Vindication, I did mention once or Twice Flynn said that Sega owned them, not Penders or Archie

This proves i was right all along.

I am probably right about Iizuka too, knowing how crap he has been to Sonic in recent times.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
  Hide contents

There's something new. Whisper REALLY doesn't like getting intimate, judging by an open eye being shown. She's not angry about it, I'd think, just deeply disturbed.

Hugs are intimate?

Well, how about that.

46 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Hugs are intimate?

Well, how about that.

It has more than one definition.

Spoiler

Ultimately, Whisper just really prefers not to get physically close to others.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Well either way it does wonders to cancel out the process of relationshipping.

You know that never stopped nobody.

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Well either way it does wonders to cancel out the process of relationshipping.

Ah, but learning to respect boundaries makes a relationship even more likely! This will only fuel it.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It totally should though and in my mind...it will for the 2nd year.

Hahaha, no. 

I don't even care about shipping either character and I know this will not stop it. 

"Enthusiastic character draws distant character out of their shell/becomes the one person the distant character can tolerate" is pretty much Shipping 101 so by my measure they're basically already married.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm happy for fans of the Babylon Rogues I suppose but I'm more excited to see Peridot and Lapis Lazuli make a cameo.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm happy for fans of the Babylon Rogues I suppose but I'm more excited to see Peridot and Lapis Lazuli make a cameo.

God, I miss Steven Universe already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spectacular usage of the new character. Right off the bat her name and unique characteristic combine to put her in a horrible situation. lol

8 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Previews!! This makes me so happy as a Sonic Riders fan, something good after today's awful movie trailer

latest?cb=20190430150623

latest?cb=20190430150655

Get mine, nothing can be done.

Just noticed Jet using his wingfan there.

"I''ll just lie down and curl into a fetal position."

Also, Movie Trailer?

7 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Finally got to see them. They've been missing since Archie's Post-Reboot.

Were they ever actually present in it?

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Ch'yea, guess Bismuth got too busy. :lol:

6 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

God, I miss Steven Universe already.

It should be back in the Fall.

I loved the annual! Ian Flynn did the Rogues justice! It's as if it was a cutscene from the original Riders game! He captured each 3 of their personalities so well!

image.png.10407167b46cf92b3ed19d311834b3c8.png

Also I loved Cavan Scott's story of Rouge, and it proves that THERE IS NO 2 WORLDS (just as there is no 2 worlds since we saw Eggman's mystic ruins base).

Cavan Scott's story provides good worldbuilding too, if IDW had to do a Sonic Universe, I'd love him to join.

• Thumbs Up 1