Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Thoughts on annual

Spoiler

Enjoyable little side read the annual is. I am enjoying Whisper more...and Tangle kinda less. Don't hate her but eeeh this soured me just a tad on her. Does still at least make me interested for their partnership since Whisper at least I get behind. Tangle too sometimes. Not a big offense to Tangle or anything. I still vastly prefer her to someone like Sticks. The rogues do their own shtick and give us insight of what's too far for them. Crooks, but not evil. Sure we knew that, but still as a reintroduction it's fine. I was kinda hoping Whisper and her no nonsense would have just shot Jet because a race is just dumb and a waste of time, when she can just get the stuff back her way. Shame Whisper is a no touchie person. Means those who want to hug her can't now XP

I really enjoyed Sonic and Tails story. No duh. Probably because this is the relationship I see between them far more than the modern games honestly. I really enjoy Sonic showing as well as reminding people that yes he CAN fly a plane himself if he wanted to. He had it first. Was nice to see them swap spots too. RIP binoculars though. I also really like Sonic here and just how much deeper their brotherly bond is compared to other media. Not to mention Sonic has actual respect for the Tornado and not ruining it. This subject handled anywhere else would probably lead to the plane destroyed and Sonic just saying you can build another one without a care. But no Tails suggests to forsake his plane to stop the bird bot and Sonic doesn't want to put him through it. It's just great. The ending is a little confusing to me though, I barely get what happened in the last action scene.

Blaze and Silver is basically just a brief moment of silver being an adorable dork, and big sister Blaze just showing him how it's done. That's basically what I got out of it. It's cute, not much else I got. Glad we didn't go into a masculinity thing which for a moment I feared Silver would do from the reaction I was seeing but was never a thing. Good. So now we have Lego Shadow and plants, and Silver and plants.

I enjoyed the numb skulls more here than pretty much any other time they've been on panel. I find it extra funny that Rough is the one who clearly wears the pants, while Tumble is a scared brute which is funny. Always preferred those dynamics over the typical small equals meek. Then it's turned around after Tumble listens to Roughs encouragement making this a do as I say not as I do thing. Which is hilarious. Though Rouge was kinda odd. Turns out she was helping people hide out. I didn't expect that of her at all. Not a bad thing, but I am curious about how she got to that position of helping the locals out like that. She wasn't even sly nor even considering stealing the treasure which I thought she would do. But nope she makes it obvious she wants it and the village offer her some.

The Sonic fan club thing was kinda the least interesting one I found. Nothing really interesting happened here. Though it did sour me on Tangle kinda. Didn't think of her feeling she needed a fan club. I don't see her as being even a little egotistical. I thought she'd just join it...or maybe she would join the Blaze fan club XP. Still her basically showing off and embarrassing herself was a fitting piece of humble pie. Sonic apparently came by off panel and saved the day. Hey that's Squirrel Girls thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how in this comic the Babylon Rogue take some part of the Hooligan by being kinda "Team Rocket"-like. Wave is so tired with everything, this is beautifull. Maybe that they are a tad too much comedic, but it have potential

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

it proves that THERE IS NO 2 WORLDS (just as there is no 2 worlds since we saw Eggman's mystic ruins base). 

It's more that he added one inconsistency, as Flynn said that the comic book was like that, and he is the main writer xD Well, as the comic book don't really care about that that's not problematic, but it's fun that we have already two contradictory things saids about this universe xD

2 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I like how in this comic the Babylon Rogue take some part of the Hooligan by being kinda "Team Rocket"-like.

It's more that he added one inconsistency, as Flynn said that the comic book was like that, and he is the main writer.

These pyramids were in SA2, where there was humans!

The final egg base, in the main stories by Flynn, was in SA1 where there was humans.

Just have 2 worlds, but these 2 worlds are 2 continents, not 2 planets.

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

These pyramids were in SA2, where there was humans!

The final egg base, in the main stories by Flynn, was in SA1 where there was humans. 

Just have 2 worlds, but these 2 worlds are 2 continents, not 2 planets.

Well, as he said that it works like two worlds and (even if a bit shyly) mentionned that in the games, that's show more that he don't really care that much about how the world works for IDWComics (and more care about characters). He is kinda right to be that, though, it seems to be more successful that way, as it give him more place for character-building.

Or maybe that he (or SEGA) have retconned two-worlds (just after having used as a set-up a story that need the two worlds to work XD Well, maybe he just have retconned GUN out of existence then, it seems logical with how much they seems inexistant in a current arc where they would be usefull) after the last 10-years.

Maybe the real answer to two/one world is to just not care. Even if the two continent could be a good solution to satisfy some people (while removing most of the story possibilities by making it more bland).

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

Maybe the real answer to two/one world is to just not care.

Or don't mention humans or human world ever again.

12 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Maybe the real answer to two/one world is to just not care. Even if the two continent could be a good solution to satisfy some people (while removing most of the story possibilities by making it more bland). 

It removes the plotholes. Angel Island fell on mystic ruins! Big lives in Mystic Ruins, Tikal in mystic ruins, all of Sonic's friends are conviniently in human towns in SA1,2,Shthg.

11 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Welp, at least that would be coherent with how the game are actually. That's a bit sad to stop mentionning a big part of the 98-2008 games, though, for no actual good reason (except some inconsistencies that only most dedicated people would notice).

For me, the comics are supposed to represent everything that Sonic can be, using more the potential of the series. Having only some kind of stories that the story have would be a bit of a waste (like not having the Classic Character or other canon character is a waste). I think that referencing at one moment the "human world" (or "human part" or whatever) is important for what the comics can be. Not now as it's not what they are working on today, but just throwing some story potential is a bit sad for a comic book made by someone who was liked for how he was able to play with different sources.

2 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Welp, at least that would be coherent with how the game are actually. That's a bit sad to stop mentionning a big part of the 98-2008 games, though, for no actual good reason (except some inconsistencies that only most dedicated people would notice)

I'm all in for an animal-only world with weird and colorful places and creatures, away from the grey and concrete human world, 0 mention of any human world.

3 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

For me, the comics are supposed to represent everything that Sonic can be, using more the potential of the series. Having only some kind of stories that the story have would be a bit of a waste (like not having the Classic Character or other canon character is a waste). I think that referencing at one moment the "human world" (or "human part" or whatever) is important for what the comics can be. Not now as it's not what they are working on today, but just throwing some story potential is a bit sad for a comic book made by someone who was liked for how he was able to play with different sources. 

If it contradicts anything in the 98-2008 games, then don't mention it. simple.

Kinda boring and filler, I dunno, it's forgettable, I mean the art is nice, but they could have used these little stories to set up bigger arcs for the future, would have been more interesting, anyway I liked the the Rough and Tumble one, the Silver and Blaze one and (kind of) Tangle and Whisper, mostly for the characters. But not much happened.

And the Babylon Rogues are arrogant as usual… I have to say I enjoyed even Rough and Tumble more this time, and of course Rouge.

Tangle is precious, really, I like her character, she has a boring life and wants more from it, it's relatable too, and she's a bit like Sonic, maybe too much, but I don't mind that. It would be cool to have her and Whisper in a game.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I'm all in for an animal-only world with weird and colorful places and creatures, away from the grey and concrete human world, 0 mention of any human world.

The seriousness and the absurdity of the "real world" makes more powerfull the "animals location", as it give them some contrast, and give to the character a world where their capacity and power aren't always useful (a bit like in Sonic X, when Eggman just say to policemen to take him to their leader, and is used to a way more "simpler" world in the animal world. That this kind of contrast that is interesting in two level, and what one of the times SX was way ahead of the games. One other moment being showing the soldier that shot Maria).

Sonic isn't just a "colored funny world" type franchise. It's a pretty contrasted franchise that can have nearly everything (and that *had* nearly everything). It's part of its history, and part of what made it more successful than most "mascots with an attitude".

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If it contradicts anything in the 98-2008 games, then don't mention it. simple.

The problem isn't "the contradictions" in what you are proposing, it's how it throw story potential in the bin. By officially saying "a part of them shouldn't be mentionned again", it's like not mentionning them again. Having some contradiction (an echidna statue most will have forgotten about) is way less harmful for these game than just zapping their universe like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Kazhnuz said:

The seriousness and the absurdity of the "real world" makes more powerfull the "animals location", as it give them some contrast, and give to the character a world where their capacity and power aren't always useful (a bit like in Sonic X, when Eggman just say to policemen to take him to their leader, and is used to a way more "simpler" world in the animal world. That this kind of contrast that is interesting in two level).

Sonic isn't just a "colored funny world" type franchise. It's a pretty contrasted franchise that can have nearly everything (and that *had* nearly everything). It's part of its history, and part of what made it more successful than most "mascots with an attitude".

The problem isn't "the contradictions" in what you are proposing, it's how it throw story potential in the bin. By officially saying "a part of them shouldn't be mentionned again", it's like not mentionning them again. Having some contradiction (an echidna statue most will have forgotten about) is way less harmful for these game than just zapping their universe like that.

What about having entire animal families in these human worlds? Silver? Big? Tikal? Amy? Shadow!! Emerl!!

The thing is, there is no such thing as human world in the games, not mentionned once, never alluded to! Never ever!

I'd rather never mentioning humans again than having the 2 worlds in the comic, even if it means removing some adventures with humans, boohoo what a huge loss!!! Humans don't matter now, they stopped being important since 10 years!! Don't ever bring them back and keep the legacy of the adventure games untarnished !!

What about having entire animal families in these human worlds? Silver? Big? Tikal? Amy? Shadow!! Emerl!!

If their is a way of traveling, people will travel. Depending of how their setting work, it's more or less simple to go in another world. The people showed to go in other dimension are often special people that are "important" to the story.. And honestly I wouldn't be surprised that if they took their universe seriously, they would talk about that kind of thing.

I made an entire novel based on "two world"-type setting and have read a ton of them, and it's an ideal setting in an era where continental travel is pretty easy. It create a new "half-isolated" place, create a disconnect that is harder to get today in the internet era between two location. People from W2 in W1 will be more separated from their original place than with most realistic modern setting. Another example is science fiction : on many (good) science fiction with different planet you have people that live in other planets.

The thing is, there is no such thing as human world in the games, not mentionned once, never alluded to! Never ever!

There is no such things as worldbuilding too, yet you ask for it 😛

I'd rather never mentioning humans again than having the 2 worlds in the comic, even if it means removing some adventures with humans, boohoo what a huge loss!!! Humans don't matter now, they stopped being important since 10 years!! Don't ever bring them back and keep the legacy of the adventure games untarnished !! 

I'd rather have them actually use a part of the universe instead of just putting like them in some kind of "old memory museum". And yeah, removing some kind of interesting adventure with some interesting concept from the game (like GUN, for instance, that can be a source of a lot of thriller/military stories, and give a more "grey" side in a pretty manichean universe)

8 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

If their is a way of traveling, people will travel. Depending of how their setting work, it's more or less simple to go in another world.

You're too stubborn, we will never agree 😅

Just now, Marco9966 said:

You're too stubborn, we will never agree 😅

I'm a SEGA/Sonic fan in 2019, it's the definition of being stubborn 😛

Just now, Kazhnuz said:

I'm a SEGA/Sonic fan in 2019, it's the definition of being stubborn 😛

If you so like big travels and long distances, why not have another planet with colorful aliens (anthropomorphic not wisps), make the world like Guardians of the Galaxy.

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If you so like big travels and long distances, why not have another planet with colorful aliens (anthropomorphic not wisps), make the world like Guardians of the Galaxy. 

I actually would be 100% for aliens species in Sonic, adding up to the existing intelligent species (Animals, Humans, Zeti), and a more sci-fi world, with space-travel and stuff. It's a bit more messy than different dimensions (as the Sonic series more have the foundations for that with stuff like Blaze's world, Ifrit's Dimension, the storybooks, etc), but it could be way more funny that way.

I just would want them to be well-designed enough, though. (Species from Chronicles were nice, IIRC, I would like them to come back. Sadly, it's forever over-limit).

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

I actually would be 100% for aliens species in Sonic, adding up to the existing intelligent species (Animals, Humans, Zeti), and a more sci-fi world, with space-travel and stuff. It's a bit more messy than different dimensions (as the Sonic series more have the foundations for that with stuff like Blaze's world, Ifrit's Dimension, the storybooks, etc), but it could be way more funny that way.

I just would want them to be well-designed enough, though. (Species from Chronicles where nice, IIRC, I would like them to come back. Sadly, it's forever over-limit)

I'd love if Flynn creates some planets with mobian-like-aliens that Eggman decides to conquer, more advanced cities than the zetis, kinda like the aliens in the MCU with their cities (Xandar, Krees...) or even a babylonian planet!

I'd love if Flynn creates some planets with mobian-like-aliens that Eggman decides to conquer, more advanced cities than the zetis, kinda like the aliens in the MCU with their cities (Xandar, Krees...) or even a babylonian planet! 

If Flynn started to add that, it could have a lot of potential… But the main comics is a bit too "small" for the moment for such a world. It could be the focus of a nice sub-series centered on Silver, if we take time/dimensional travels as a base more than "space" travel directly. Some kind of "Guardian of the Universe" like you said, but with Silver as the main character who travel in different world and do a lot of things.

It could be some kind of mixt between GotU and the "Zone Cop" of Sonic Archie (that what I hopped for the group Silver-Schlimmer-Gold with the Genesis Portal stuff)... It would be fun to see Silver go in different "world" (and if they had the capacity to make a "SatAM-based" serie, it would be fun to see Silver cross-over in such a universe).

Just now, Kazhnuz said:

If Flynn started to add that, it could have a lot of potential… But the comics is a bit too "small" for the moment for such a world. It could be the focus of a nice sub-series centered on Silver, if we take time/dimensional travels as a base more than "space" travel directly. Some kind of "Guardian of the Universe" like you said, but with Silver as the main character who travel in different world and do a lot of things.

It could be some kind of mixt between GotU and the "Zone Cop" of Sonic Archie (that what I hopped for the group Silver-Schlimmer-Gold with the Genesis Portal stuff)... It would be fun to see Silver go in different "world" (and if they had the capacity to make a "SatAM-based" serie, it would be fun to see Silver cross-over in such a universe).

Silvers goes to many different "alternate timelines" (Endgame made me accept this concept :p) (Mania Sonic and Modern Sonic are two different Sonics :p) or he chases Nega going accross these timelines.

2 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Yeah, probably.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

It removes the plotholes. Angel Island fell on mystic ruins! Big lives in Mystic Ruins, Tikal in mystic ruins, all of Sonic's friends are conviniently in human towns in SA1,2,Shthg.

Eggman.

Also, are those really even plot holes?

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

I liked the the Rough and Tumble one,

Oh, the Skunk Bros are in this? This should be neat.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I wasn't aware Shadow and Emerl were mobians.

Too late.

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

😛

I'd rather have them actually use a part of the universe instead of just putting like them in some kind of "old memory museum". And yeah, removing some kind of interesting adventure with some interesting concept from the game (like GUN, for instance, that can be a source of a lot of thriller/military stories, and give a more "grey" side in a pretty manichean universe)

Same here.

Why not have all of this and then some?

Oh wait, we already do! And continually, too!

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

I just would want them to be well-designed enough, though. (Species from Chronicles were nice, IIRC, I would like them to come back. Sadly, it's forever over-limit).

That'd be cool to continue doing. The thing is we'd primarily be in Sonic's World dealing with his stuff and thus would need reasons to encounter other beings.

Did the Zeti even have much in the way of cities?

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Did the Zeti even have much in the way of cities?

6 zetis? why not a full civilization, like Xandar in the MCU

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

6 zetis? why not a full civilization, like Xandar in the MCU

Well no, that's what I'm saying: even on the off chance it's just Zavok's Band, there's little to no hint of civilization on the Lost Hex outside of Frozen Factory.

Isnt it refreshing to see new stories instead of "Sonic+friend vs ennemy" in each issue?

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Isnt it refreshing to see new stories instead of "Sonic+friend vs ennemy" in each issue?

Yep. Just wish I had it right now.

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yep. Just wish I had it right now.

You didnt read it yet? It just makes me wish we had a Sonic Universe with rotating writers from this annual.

40 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

You didnt read it yet? It just makes me wish we had a Sonic Universe with rotating writers from this annual.

No, I tend to not have access to the comic when ya''ll talk about it.