Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Hey guys, remember the last Mobian Horse!!!

latest?cb=20090127042331

I know, the new one is way better designed and a background character. Just wanted to remind people this guy is a Sonic character 😛

Fleetway’s equines weren’t able to mesh either. 

latest?cb=20120125165516

latest?cb=20130513092821

latest?cb=20110729111544

They ranged from being merely generic cartoon horses on their hind legs to even creepier than Sir Connery.

I think that both of those, as well as the Mobian I pointed out before, goes to firmly show that horses are a animal that can be rather awkward to anthropomorphize and a series like Sonic in particular has a hard time breaking them in without falling one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think its awkward or rather it has to be

Hasbro has an entire franchise of small horse like creatures that don't look like weird realistic horses that have been well designed enough to catch fire. Those characters seem like the result of not having a desire to stay with a sf sonic like design scheme

9 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think its awkward or rather it has to be

Hasbro has an entire franchise of small horse like creatures that don't look like weird realistic horses that have been well designed enough to catch fire. Those characters seem like the result of not having a desire to stay with a sf sonic like design scheme

Aren't most FIM characters basically modeled after cats?

34 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Aren't most FIM characters basically modeled after cats?

Considering they have several cat characters actually, Not as far as i'm aware.

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Do you mean negative as in...bad writing or negative as in...being antagonist?

And if the latter, why do they need that?

Yeah, they don’t really need to be protagonists at this point. 

26 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Considering they have several cat characters actually, Not as far as i'm aware.

Are there? 

But anyway, I was referring to the designs themselves. As in the style. 

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Are there? 

But anyway, I was referring to the designs themselves. As in the style. 

There are. But I don't think so. The horses sometimes exhibit unhorse like mannerisms for story telling and comedic effect, but they seemed to be modeled after horses just smaller snouts depending on the size. The bigger ones have bigger snouts

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Fucking love tangles personality

I don't get how there are people who don't like her TBH.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the wikia they say that Sonic remembers being cursed by the Flame of Judgement and Werehog curse!

Just got done reading the annual. Some fine art in there especially for Blaze and Silver’s story. 

Tangle and Whisper have a pretty cool buddy system going on , looking forward to their mini-series. 

38 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

She comes from the scrappy do school of characterization. Some people really don't like those types of characters

1 hour ago, kimplix said:

Got those new previews for #16

Yeah, "new."

52 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

There's an exception to just about anything, for one.

Don't worry about it.

13 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She comes from the scrappy do school of characterization. Some people really don't like those types of characters

Which is the very adjective they used to describe her, funnily enough.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

She doesn't seem recklessly impulsive enough for this to be accurate.

That would require her to literally be a hindrance to the group and not learn from it.

Maybe even an annoying voice, which, okay she does have that part down.

Just now, StaticMania said:

That would require her to literally be a hindrance to the group and not learn from it.

I'm not talking about bad stuff. I"m talking about the function of scrappy do in the narrative. She serves the same function. Whether you like scrappy do or not is irrelevant

It's a good thing I didn't say anything about liking the character, that's just an add-on.

But...what exactly is Scrappy Doo's purpose and how is it similar to what Tangle is?

Just now, StaticMania said:

It's a good thing I didn't say anything about liking the character, that's just an add-on.

But...what exactly is Scrappy Doo's purpose and how is it similar to what Tangle is?

She's a character meant for the audience, primarily smaller children to identify with. She's wild and inexperienced and a fan of the characters , and by being a fan of the characters but being new allows for characters to have to explain to her the characters like they were explaining to the audience along with story points. Basically a relatable narrative device to talk directly to the viewer and identity with the primarily targeted demo. Scrappy do was bad at it, but that was also his function. Its not an uncommon narrative device, even in sonic , sticks was previously this character.

So when I say they are " Scrappy do " i'm not saying they are " literally scrappy do " this isn't like people saying shadow is vegeta or knuckles's is piccolo where there are a lot of issues with those statements. I'm saying she serves the same narrative function as a scrappy do character , would.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

In the wikia they say that Sonic remembers being cursed by the Flame of Judgement and Werehog curse!

Oh does it?  Guess someone already hot the issue. 

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She's a character meant for the audience, primarily smaller children to identify with. She's wild and inexperienced and a fan of the characters , and by being a fan of the characters but being new allows for characters to have to explain to her the characters like they were explaining to the audience along with story points. Basically a relatable narrative device to talk directly to the viewer and identity with the primarily targeted demo. Scrappy do was bad at it, but that was also his function. Its not an uncommon narrative device, even in sonic , sticks was previously this character.

So when I say they are " Scrappy do " i'm not saying they are " literally scrappy do " this isn't like people saying shadow is vegeta or knuckles's is piccolo where there are a lot of issues with those statements. I'm saying she serves the same narrative function as a scrappy do character , would.

Oh, I thought you meant she was added to the comics to save the..."ratings"

Or the equivalent.

Uhhh, it's close enough I guess. I don't recall Scrappy Doo playing that role (especially for a formula show like Scooby Doo), but I never watched his introduction.

57 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She does have the basic personality for that, though.

52 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

19 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Oh, I thought you meant she was added to the comics to save the..."ratings"

Yeah, that was more or less the original idea of his inception: to add a new character in order to spice up the formula.

What's funny is that it actually worked.

54 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She's a character meant for the audience, primarily smaller children to identify with. She's wild and inexperienced and a fan of the characters , and by being a fan of the characters but being new allows for characters to have to explain to her the characters like they were explaining to the audience along with story points. Basically a relatable narrative device to talk directly to the viewer and identity with the primarily targeted demo. Scrappy do was bad at it, but that was also his function.

Was he that too?

48 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its not an uncommon narrative device, even in sonic , sticks was previously this character.

She technically has the same sort of temperament too, yes, but I don't remember her really crossing into either of the other two's territories.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

The term your looking for is "Kid Appeal character", which fits mostly your description. Scrappy Doo isn't that at all. Scrappy was added to "shake up" the normal group dynamics of the Mystery Gang by making a character that was obviously in over their head and had to be bailed out by the more experienced members of the cast. Hence why he's hated, for being an active hindrance to the normal group and adding nothing else of value, which made him come off as obnoxious. 

Tangle...doesn't really fit that description. 

• Thumbs Up 8

40 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The term your looking for is "Kid Appeal character", which fits mostly your description. Scrappy Doo isn't that at all. Scrappy was added to "shake up" the normal group dynamics of the Mystery Gang by making a character that was obviously in over their head and had to be bailed out by the more experienced members of the cast. Hence why he's hated, for being an active hindrance to the normal group and adding nothing else of value, which made him come off as obnoxious. 

Tangle...doesn't really fit that description. 

There was also the fact that he stuck around even when the other three started to be phased and arguably started a trend of weird add on characters that people found annoying.