Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, the thing about characters like that is that technically, they aren't really bad designs in themselves. They just had the problem of being of being in a Sonic thing and thus were jarring in comparison to the stylized, simplistic artstyle.

The funny thing is, Sir Connery’s design back when he first appeared was much more fitting with the overall Sonic style.

33 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

The funny thing is, Sir Connery’s design back when he first appeared was much more fitting with the overall Sonic style.

Oh what with like the white muzzle and the Knightly headdress? 

I'll always be baffled why Ian brought Sir Connery back to kill him. He only appeared in that one back up and was never remotely important ever again until he was randomly brought back to be killed off. I'll admit his early "House cleaning" era wasn't Ian's best stuff.

On-topic, could the Babylon Rogues also get some less negative portrayals eventually? 

I mean they're entire characteristics are "Find our homeland so we can steal treasure or something" and "Beat Sonic in a race". I'll admit I'm biased, I don't like the Babylon Rogues, but they're just...not particularly deep characters. Even by Sonic standards.

11 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'll always be baffled why Ian brought Sir Connery back to kill him. He only appeared in that one back up and was never remotely important ever again until he was randomly brought back to be killed off. I'll admit his early "House cleaning" era wasn't Ian's best stuff.

I mean they're entire characteristics are "Find our homeland so we can steal treasure or something" and "Beat Sonic in a race". I'll admit I'm biased, I don't like the Babylon Rogues, but they're just...not particularly deep characters. Even by Sonic standards.

It was because he was on a quest to do away with dark magics that might threaten the kingdom, complete with a Sword of Light made for that purpose. Thus, it made sense to bring him back in order to reign in the amount of magic/powerful elements in the comics history as well as set the stage for later events.

He also debuted in connection to Knuckles and the Ancient Walkers, which were both featured in that story.

No, i think the more out there return that ended up not happening would've been Tig Stripe.

2 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Hey guys, remember the last Mobian Horse!!!

latest?cb=20090127042331

I know, the new one is way better designed and a background character. Just wanted to remind people this guy is a Sonic character 😛

Fleetway’s equines weren’t able to mesh either. 

latest?cb=20120125165516

latest?cb=20130513092821

latest?cb=20110729111544

They ranged from being merely generic cartoon horses on their hind legs to even creepier than Sir Connery.

I think that both of those, as well as the Mobian I pointed out before, goes to firmly show that horses are a animal that can be rather awkward to anthropomorphize and a series like Sonic in particular has a hard time breaking them in without falling one way or the other.

I don't think its awkward or rather it has to be

Hasbro has an entire franchise of small horse like creatures that don't look like weird realistic horses that have been well designed enough to catch fire. Those characters seem like the result of not having a desire to stay with a sf sonic like design scheme

9 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think its awkward or rather it has to be

Hasbro has an entire franchise of small horse like creatures that don't look like weird realistic horses that have been well designed enough to catch fire. Those characters seem like the result of not having a desire to stay with a sf sonic like design scheme

Aren't most FIM characters basically modeled after cats?

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Do you mean negative as in...bad writing or negative as in...being antagonist?

And if the latter, why do they need that?

Yeah, they don’t really need to be protagonists at this point. 

26 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Considering they have several cat characters actually, Not as far as i'm aware.

Are there? 

But anyway, I was referring to the designs themselves. As in the style. 

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Are there? 

But anyway, I was referring to the designs themselves. As in the style. 

There are. But I don't think so. The horses sometimes exhibit unhorse like mannerisms for story telling and comedic effect, but they seemed to be modeled after horses just smaller snouts depending on the size. The bigger ones have bigger snouts

Just got done reading the annual. Some fine art in there especially for Blaze and Silver’s story. 

Tangle and Whisper have a pretty cool buddy system going on , looking forward to their mini-series. 

38 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't get how there are people who don't like her TBH.

She comes from the scrappy do school of characterization. Some people really don't like those types of characters

1 hour ago, kimplix said:

Got those new previews for #16

Yeah, "new."

52 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't get how there are people who don't like her TBH.

There's an exception to just about anything, for one.

Don't worry about it.

13 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She comes from the scrappy do school of characterization. Some people really don't like those types of characters

Which is the very adjective they used to describe her, funnily enough.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

She doesn't seem recklessly impulsive enough for this to be accurate.

That would require her to literally be a hindrance to the group and not learn from it.

Maybe even an annoying voice, which, okay she does have that part down.

Just now, StaticMania said:

She doesn't seem recklessly impulsive enough for this to be accurate.

That would require her to literally be a hindrance to the group and not learn from it.

Maybe even an annoying voice, which, okay she does have that part down.

I'm not talking about bad stuff. I"m talking about the function of scrappy do in the narrative. She serves the same function. Whether you like scrappy do or not is irrelevant