Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Freddie and Velma were phased out, Daphne was on and off.

Yeah, I remember. She was in that one show with what I initially thought was her and Shaggy's random kid.

3 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The term your looking for is "Kid Appeal character", which fits mostly your description. Scrappy Doo isn't that at all. Scrappy was added to "shake up" the normal group dynamics of the Mystery Gang by making a character that was obviously in over their head and had to be bailed out by the more experienced members of the cast. Hence why he's hated, for being an active hindrance to the normal group and adding nothing else of value, which made him come off as obnoxious. 

Tangle...doesn't really fit that description. 

Yeah, that sounds more like Marine the Raccoon than Tangle.

47 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Yeah, that sounds more like Marine the Raccoon than Tangle.

Well, that's another strike, wouldn't ya say? :lol

It begin.

I really liked this issue.

Spoiler

I like this formula of "Eggman do a thing, Sonic try to do a thing", and that for the moment they don't encounter each other. (I'm a bit iffy with Sonic actually mentioning that formula but… that's a good thing to see Sonic being actually concerned by what's going on, and trying to think through the situation instead of just dashing forward. The information isn't that Sonic and Eggman didn't enountered each-other yet, but that Sonic is concerned by that.). I think that taking a good chunk of the story time to show the zombotification of Windmill Village was a good idea. With this arc, we actively see the threat and how it seems irremediable.

A bit sad that that neither Tails nor Tangle have been infected, but I suppose that it'll happens later, a "friend infection".

I also liked how Eggman is nearly turning "welp when this world is over, I'll go conquer others", it remind me a bit of Dark Enerjak and Robo-Robotnik, and I like that. He have a (seemingly) failure-safe project, and is already prepared to go conquering other worlds even though he hasn't finished this world yet. Eggman's ego at his finest.

I'm pretty interested in how they'll make Sonic win the day against such odds, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

It begin.

Reveal hidden contents

I like this formula of "Eggman do a thing, Sonic try to do a thing", and that for the moment they don't encounter each other. (I'm a bit iffy with Sonic actually mentioning that formula but… that's a good thing to see Sonic being actually concerned by what's going on, and trying to think through the situation instead of just dashing forward. The information isn't that Sonic and Eggman didn't enountered each-other yet, but that Sonic is concerned by that.). I think that taking a good chunk of the story time to show the zombotification of Windmill Village was a good idea. With this arc, we actively see the threat and how it seems irremediable.

A bit sad that that neither Tails nor Tangle have been infected, but I suppose that it'll happens later, a "friend infection".

I also liked how Eggman is nearly turning "welp when this world is over, I'll go conquer others", it remind me a bit of Dark Enerjak and Robo-Robotnik, and I like that. He have a (seemingly) failure-safe project, and is already prepared to go conquering other worlds even though he hasn't finished this world yet. Eggman's ego at his finest.

I'm pretty interested in how they'll make Sonic win the day against such odds, though.

What do you think about the Secret Rings flashback? It's a storybook game set in another dimension, not in Sonic's continuity, and in these games, it's not the same Sonic that is the main character as seen when Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur. It's confusing.

6 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you think about the Secret Rings flashback? It's a storybook game set in another dimension, not in Sonic's continuity, and in these games, it's not the same Sonic that is the main character as seen when Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur. It's confusing.

...what? Since when are the storybook games non-canon?

I mean, yes, the storybook worlds themselves are alternate realities, but it’s our Sonic who goes into them, because why wouldn’t it be?

Just now, Ernest the Panda said:

...what? Since when are the storybook games non-canon?

I mean, yes, the storybook worlds themselves are alternate realities, but it’s our Sonic who goes into them, because why wouldn’t it be?

In the Sonic & The Black Knight he is revealed to be King Arthur. But then he goes back to his reality. It means King Arthur left that reality, or a copy of Sonic is made? (just like a copy of Sonic is made after the Generations split).

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

In the Sonic & The Black Knight he is revealed to be King Arthur. But then he goes back to his reality. It means King Arthur left that reality, or a copy of Sonic is made? (just like a copy of Sonic is made after the Generations split).

He could’ve just left the Arthurian realm without a king.

He definitely returns home at the end because we hear him trying to explain to real-world Amy why he missed their date after the credits.

He definitely returns home at the end because we hear him trying to explain to real-world Amy why he missed their date after the credits.

And it's not a different dimension like Blaze's dimension. It's a different reality. I'm not a fan of including them in the IDW canon.

I'm not even a fan of including Sonic Unleashed because of the human world.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

And it's not a different dimension like Blaze's dimension. It's a different reality.

...what’s the difference?

...what’s the difference?

Because there's not another Tails or another Sonic in Blaze's dimension.

In the storybook realities there are other Tails, other Sonic, and even other Blaze and Silver and Jet.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

There's another Eggman. Or at least there was before they started fucking things up.

There's also another set of emeralds in parallel to the Chaos Emeralds.

Also, we've only seen a tiny fraction of the people in Blaze's world. Ain't nothing stopping there from being a Sonic in there somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

In the storybook realities there are other Tails, other Sonic, and even other Blaze and Silver and Jet.

Regardless, the storybook worlds being another “reality” doesn’t change the fact Sonic went into those realities and had those experiences within them.

Yeah, it seems weirdly puzzling logic to try and push the Storybook games out of continuity with. I for one enjoyed the reference, and I do open it leaves the door open for additional opportunities, such as, well, revisiting the Storybook worlds.

I would actually be down for Sonic seeking non-scientific solutions to the problem of the Zombot plague if Tails can't cure it in time, such as using the World Rings to empower a wish by Shahra or using the power of Excalibur's scabbard to purge the infection, and perhaps using the World Rings/Excalibur to combat Eggman with the Chaos Emeralds if needed. (And yes, Exalibur's scabbard is depicted as a corrupting influence in Black Knight, but that aspect is honestly out of step with the Arthurian mythos and the vast majority of depictions of the scabbard in general, and the titular Black Knight isn't the 'real' King Arthur anyway, so it's probably that said corruption is really just misuse of its power driven through temptation by unworthy individuals, since Excalibur and its scabbard was meant to be owned by the true Once and Future King, aka Sonic.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

It's not that confusing and it's the same Sonic.

Spoiler

Basically, the revelation is quite simple : the "King Arthur" of the game was a fake to begin with. The "King Arthur" as we know it is the creation of Merlin. Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur because he is the one who got Caliburn/Excalibur, making him having met the condition to be King Arthur.

So...issue 16. Yeah...

...does anyone here read IDW Tranformers 2019, the "Bold" reboot? It's absolutely terrible and prepared me to be a little lenient on Sonic.

So first: Skelly's art! Man it's so gorgeous. Look at Tail's workshop, kinda SA1, a bit of his head in Sonic Battle, but also it's own thing. It even has Sonic CD flowers, I love it! And face expressions and that shadow-y Eggman....Lawrance? Umm, he's okay.

Story....story....story

Spoiler

1/3 is watching infected Sonic giving exposition we mostly know.

1/3 is Eggman explaining his base... why ? Would it really break our suspension of disbelief to just show us this Faceship with no explanation?  He build interplanetary amusement park for Chaos sake, this not-Ark isn't that weird.

1/3  is watching Left For Dead, Sonic edition. ...eh. Hand on a tree was a neat visual, but rest felt a bit 'seen that, done that'.

IDK, I kinda though the issue will be about Sonic and Amy dealing with his infection, like Archie did with Werehog, Tension, emotions, not instant teleportation t Tails Lab.

I admit Eggman is just so great at being terrible person. And Tangle was really fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good even though I wanted to see Tails do more. I'm a fanboy sue me XP. I wanted more of my fluff boi and didn't get enough to satisfy. Now got to wait who knows how long til he comes back. (Don't seriously take this as a big negative. This issue is one of the best ones for me when I put aside my fanboyism XP)

As an issue I like it because it feels different to the previous ones, even if the ending is basically the same as the others. The rest felt new. Eggman especially was the highlight with just how much of a sadistic twisted person he is. Damn he really goes there. I was like....woooooow man.....you went there. Starline remains the worlds biggest kiss ass there is XD. I may not be surprised if we get a panel of just that. Or for some reason Orbot and Cubot going into an ass kissing contest with Starline for who can praise Eggman more....I dunno.

The stuff we did get with the heroes is alright. Sonic running out though may or may not be the right thing to do. Unless Tails got all he needed from Sonic. I do like this Sonic though. Goes without saying this iteration is what saves me from the video game one that I currently despise. Tangle is Tangle. She's happy to be there...and that's about it. She honestly had really no business being here other than look at the new character. But to be more positive I liked the gag she has with Sonic at the end.

But then we end off with Sonic leaving the past friends to join with another group of friends cliche continuing. I'm not sure if I'm alone on this, but am I the only one who feels this kind of formula just makes everyone but Sonic feel kinda like just cheap action figures to look at? It practically makes it so you can't really do that much with anyone outside of Sonic, because they have to leave after the issue is done. I would feel like having 2-4 part things going on would allow a wider scope of focus rather than just a single part with a person or pair. It's practically mad libs. Just have character name and thing they do blanked out along with relations.

"Sonic meets up with "_____" who is his "_____". Sonic and "_____" deal with (Though in this case discuss) something Eggman related. "Sonic leaves "______" behind in order to end up meeting with "______" in the next issue."

Despite that negativity I still praise this issue for the most part. I still can't help but feel the formula cheapens the other characters into objects/action figures rather than people. I kinda feel like their fan appeasing eye candy more than characters.

I actually quite liked this issue somewhat. It was relatively low action/event, but that's just the sort of start a story like this kinda needs.

I appreciated:

• Tails not being that comfortable about Tangle and thinking Zombots are silly
  • Starline being won back over via witnessing his "hero's" work firsthand 
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 reference, plus the ship flying by sneezing
  • Poor Scruffy
  • The Sonic X and/or Pontac&Graff style puns and phrases in general

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

It takes place in a book Sonic had lying around, didn't it? 

Just because it's self-contained doesn't mean it's not canon.

Plus, it's referenced in Generations and Runners.

4 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Well this raises a question: What actually happened to King Arthur?

And it's not a different dimension like Blaze's dimension. It's a different reality. I'm not a fan of including them in the IDW canon.

I'm not even a fan of including Sonic Unleashed because of the human world.

You're not a fan of just about anything after the Dreamcast trio.

Yes there is--Blaze and Marine.

And in the context of the storybooks, the implication that's just how the characters appear to Sonic himself.

4 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Regardless, the storybook worlds being another “reality” doesn’t change the fact Sonic went into those realities and had those experiences within them.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, Candescence said:

Yeah, it seems weirdly puzzling logic to try and push the Storybook games out of continuity with. I for one enjoyed the reference, and I do open it leaves the door open for additional opportunities, such as, well, revisiting the Storybook worlds.

I would actually be down for Sonic seeking non-scientific solutions to the problem of the Zombot plague if Tails can't cure it in time, such as using the World Rings to empower a wish by Shahra or using the power of Excalibur's scabbard to purge the infection, and perhaps using the World Rings/Excalibur to combat Eggman with the Chaos Emeralds if needed. (And yes, Exalibur's scabbard is depicted as a corrupting influence in Black Knight, but that aspect is honestly out of step with the Arthurian mythos and the vast majority of depictions of the scabbard in general, and the titular Black Knight isn't the 'real' King Arthur anyway, so it's probably that said corruption is really just misuse of its power driven through temptation by unworthy individuals, since Excalibur and its scabbard was meant to be owned by the true Once and Future King, aka Sonic.)

This series was born on the fable side and just got weirder as they developed it.

Personally, while I do sorta think the storybook stuff can probably stay confined, I have absolutely no problem.

2 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

It's not that confusing and it's the same Sonic.

Reveal hidden contents

Basically, the revelation is quite simple : the "King Arthur" of the game was a fake to begin with. The "King Arthur" as we know it is the creation of Merlin. Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur because he is the one who got Caliburn/Excalibur, making him having met the condition to be King Arthur.

Oh yeah, that does sound about right.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

You're not a fan of just about anything after the Dreamcast trio.

Indeed.

9 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

It begin.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, admittedly, I kinda hoping the latter might end up with that for a second.

11 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Indeed.

Although you aren’t truly a hater of anything until Colors, right?

And also, I suspect the zombots will eventually attack the human world.

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Although you aren’t truly a hater of anything until Colors, right?

And also, I suspect the zombots will eventually attack the human world.

I'd have proffered the storybook games to have completely different characters, like Merlina, instead of Tails and Knuckles.