Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So...issue 16. Yeah...

...does anyone here read IDW Tranformers 2019, the "Bold" reboot? It's absolutely terrible and gave prepared me to be a little lenient on Sonic.

I haven't read it but from what I've heard isn't it like a super slow paced murder story where none of the Transformers so far have any real personalities? 

That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hide contents

1/3 is Eggman explaining his base... why ? Would it really break our suspension of disbelief to just show us this Faceship with no explanation?  He build interplanetary amusement park for Chaos sake, this not-Ark isn't that weird.

Spoiler

I'm guessing it's because Sonic or whoever may infiltrate the ship at some point.

51 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I'd have proffered the storybook games to have completely different characters, like Merlina, instead of Tails and Knuckles.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

IDK, I kinda though the issue will be about Sonic and Amy dealing with his infection, like Archie did with Werehog, Tension, emotions, not instant teleportation t Tails Lab.

Huh. That's a good point.

2 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Starline remains the worlds biggest kiss ass there is XD. I may not be surprised if we get a panel of just that. Or for some reason Orbot and Cubot going into an ass kissing contest with Starline for who can praise Eggman more....I dunno.

Eh, maybe Cubot. Orbot seems more likely to lowkey backhand him.

Though maybe it'd become a case of Starlight completely agreeing, with reality flying right over his head.

The stuff we did get with the heroes is alright. Sonic running out though may or may not be the right thing to do. Unless Tails got all he needed from Sonic. I do like this Sonic though.

Might? It obviously wasn't!

Tangle is Tangle. She's happy to be there...and that's about it. She honestly had really no business being here other than look at the new character. But to be more positive I liked the gag she has with Sonic at the end.

Where've you been?

But that saved it.

But then we end off with Sonic leaving the past friends to join with another group of friends cliche continuing. I'm not sure if I'm alone on this, but am I the only one who feels this kind of formula just makes everyone but Sonic feel kinda like just cheap action figures to look at? It practically makes it so you can't really do that much with anyone outside of Sonic, because they have to leave after the issue is done. I would feel like having 2-4 part things going on would allow a wider scope of focus rather than just a single part with a person or pair. It's practically mad libs. Just have character name and thing they do blanked out along with relations.

"Sonic meets up with "_____" who is his "_____". Sonic and "_____" deal with (Though in this case discuss) something Eggman related. "Sonic leaves "______" behind in order to end up meeting with "______" in the next issue."

You mean it isn't?

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I'd have proffered the storybook games to have completely different characters, like Merlina, instead of Tails and Knuckles.

I'm not sure what actually originated it, but it's clearly a Wizard of Oz thing.

Although it would be cool if it turned out there actually is a Shahra/Merlina basis in Sonic's World.

image.png.95d2490af56cc716cec3226dbc4df918.png

The take away will always be sad and disheartening. Nothing will ever be truly okay until this is fixed

SAN DIEGO, CA (May 8, 2019) – IDW Publishing is humbled to announce that three of its most recent Sonic The Hedgehog comic books – issues #14 and #15 from the ongoing monthly series, as well as Sonic The Hedgehog Annual 2019 – have completely sold out at the distributor level.

Damn. This is pretty impressive from where I'm standing. 

• Thumbs Up 4

57 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I haven't read it but from what I've heard isn't it like a super slow paced murder story where none of the Transformers so far have any real personalities? 

That's the impression I'm getting anyway.

Murder story that has no leads, developments, suspects and even hardcore fans would know very little about murdered person

Longest actions scene can be described as rugby talking a guy and then talking and letting him go.

All robots have less personality than piece of plastic they were based of. Toys at least had a little blurb in the back.

And artowork is done by the blandest person in the universe, who associates face expressions with myths and fairy tales.

It's a book about talking. Talking about social issues that aren't explained, characters that aren't on the screen and other subject that it's impossible to get invested.

It's like a Sonic book, where Tails worries that overflow of golden rings hurts economy, while Shadow works on restructuring GUN bureaucracy department.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The take away will always be sad and disheartening. Nothing will ever be truly okay until this is fixed

Poor Flicky.

31 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Hey yeah, now that I think about it, Knuckles and Amy really weren't in that book!

Eggman literally did the most fucked up thing with the first batch of that virus.

I hope, I hope to goodness there is a moment where to rouge and sonic, shadow is like " What the fuck did I say "

Also  once this is over... i'm interested in how they up the anti? This is kinda mega fucked up, not a lot of places you can go from here escalation wise

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Also  once this is over... i'm interested in how they up the anti? This is kinda mega fucked up, not a lot of places you can go from here escalation wise

Just like the games!

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

Are there still people claiming the book is failing because...this looks like opposite of that to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadowlax is literally salivating Shadow punching Sonic :V

But yea, Eggman sure as fuck didn't waste time. I'm glad Ian fully embraces that he's a terrible person that does really terrible things. And I guess that was the payoff to the Mr. Tinkerer sub plot. I'm curious on what's his next move though, or is he just gonna sit on his ass until the Heroes go on the offensive.

Sonic's side is mostly fluff, but I did like how he's trying to play off that he's obviously terrified of this virus and accidentally infecting one of his friends. Hope there's more of that.

Kudos to this issue finally breaking the formulaic nature, if only for a brief period.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Nah I want to see the entire land become infected. I want sonic pushed to the edge trying to save everyone.

44 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Shadowlax is literally salivating Shadow punching Sonic :V

WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH, I drooled a little bit shut up.

Seriously though I don't even want shadow to punch sonic, I just want shadow to be disappointed in him and sonic genuinely feels bad and has to grow. Sonic getting actual... growth as a character is interesting potential.

Bonus and would kinda redeem issue 6 and would give ian 4d chess status: If it was revealed shadow never wanted to kill eggman he just wanted to lock him up in some facility to keep watch on him for a while and sonic and rouge put the whole world in danger because they couldn't ask a question. And could open up a bunch of story opportunities with team dark considering that would be a huge trust issue.

But yea, Eggman sure as fuck didn't waste time. I'm glad Ian fully embraces that he's a terrible person that does really terrible things. And I guess that was the payoff to the Mr. Tinkerer sub plot. I'm curious on what's his next move though, or is he just gonna sit on his ass until the Heroes go on the offensive.

Eggman is very good and being bad. And yeah that seems like and eggman movie, rest on his laurels get too cocky , get surprised  , get knocked down a peg.

Sonic's side is mostly fluff, but I did like how he's trying to play off that he's obviously terrified of this virus and accidentally infecting one of his friends. Hope there's more of that.

I thought that was some neat character work.

Kudos to this issue finally breaking the formulaic nature, if only for a brief period.

Also this!

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman wanting to T.O. planets is kinda out there.

~Nothing~ in the series has ever hinted at him being interest to Space Expand.

16 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Eggman wanting to T.O. planets is kinda out there.

~Nothing~ in the series has ever hinted at him being interest to Space Expand.

Eh, feels like an eggman thing to do. Would take over everything, get bored, and then restart so he could do it over again

Just read the issue.

Sonic's trying his best to play off how worried he obviously is but it's great that I can see right through it. Just the expression he has on his face when he bolts out of Tails' workshop a couple of panels after realizing that gunk is still on his arm is fantastic. I like feeling like shit's gotten real. The ending caption saying "The Chaotix investigate the end of the world" is like someone waking me up in the middle of the night to tell me that Christmas came early.

There were a lot more cinematic moments in this issue too, most assuredly for the sake of really showing off just how fucked up this situation is. I appreciate the intense foreboding nature of what's going on. That scene where one of the villagers leaves a handprint on a tree and it starts to spread made me think of the part of a movie where an intense music sting would happen and then they'd cut to where the danger currently isn't for a bout of fluffy exposition. Only it was followed up by something that was still rather unnerving in concept.

Sonic linking his situation to the judgement thing from Secret Rings and the Werehog is a nice touch, though, I'd say it's a little worse than those. Tails comes to the conclusion that he can shave it off by running really fast but because it's a virus and he's been infected, it keeps growing back. That means he absolutely has to keep himself active, which probably means he's not going to be able to sleep for very long or even relax too often. 

It sounds terrifying. 

Eggman's just a right prick in this comic too. I mean... Jesus Christ dude. I really like it but goddamn, it still somehow surprises me just how ruthless this motherfucker is. Eggman is fun but I like being afraid of him as well it turns out.

This was a good issue. I really, really enjoyed it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

That was a great issue. I didn't expect Eggman to announce himself as Mr. Tinker and just outright snuff the village that saved his life and accepted him for who he was.  I guess in his mind, he's doing them a favor but I bet they regret EVER taking the fat man in after this whole mess is over.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

That was a great issue. I didn't expect Eggman to announce himself as Mr. Tinker and just outright snuff the village that saved his life and accepted him for who he was.  I guess in his mind, he's doing them a favor but I bet they regret EVER taking the fat man in after this whole mess is over.

The fact that he felt it was necessary to let them know it was Mr. Tinker doing that to them is like the sour cherry on top. 

It's so mean and for no real reason too. It's great. 

God, what an asshole. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh issue. Skelly's art was the highlight. Storywise this zombot thing is just so boring. It's basically an even less visually interesting version of roboticization. And this is going to be the main plot for the next few months...

Just give me a Sonic comic that's random adventures like the annual please.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The fact that he felt it was necessary to let them know it was Mr. Tinker doing that to them is like the sour cherry on top. 

It's so mean and for no real reason too. It's great. 

God, what an asshole. 

Agreed, that guy went from who leaned on the side of good/evil in SA2 to outright sadistic bastard who's tired of Sonic and wants to see all that he loves suffer even if he benefited from it.  The metal virus is probably the most advanced form of roboticization we've seen and it's scary because Sonic has to keep it at bay and be careful not to infect his friends.

2 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Eh issue. Skelly's art was the highlight. Storywise this zombot thing is just so boring. It's basically an even less visually interesting version of roboticization. And this is going to be the main plot for the next few months...

Just give me a Sonic comic that's random adventures like the annual please.

What's so boring about it?  It's a rather deadly form of roboticization that's contagious not to mention dangerous...so much so, Sonic is having difficulty keeping it at bay with his speed.  This is probably the most interesting the comic's been for awhile though I do know where you're coming from with the annual...it had some wacky adventures and was fun.  Honestly though, I LOVE the direction that the series is going and besides, we have Tangle for the fun and goofy stuff.  

I dunno, it's just not super gripping. I'm bugged that we have this crazy vibrant series and we're just going to be focusing on "gray stuff turns everyone into gray robo-zombies" for like a year.  Maybe it'll pick up eventually but I'm just not into it.

I think my biggest gripe with this comic so far is the pacing. Why do we need to spend almost a year (going by the solicits) on this one arc, like we did with the Metal Sonic arc? Why does it need to be dragged out for that long? I get decompression is a thing with most modern comics in general but Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

What's so boring about it?  It's a rather deadly form of roboticization that's contagious not to mention dangerous...

I mean sure on paper but...it's Sonic. We all know they're going to find a cure and turn everyone back to normal. So far the only victims we have are some skunks that nobody minds getting roughed up, a bunch of villagers that we have almost no reason to care about, and Sonic, the one interesting part of this, but even then he's suppressing it so far just doing what he always does.

Sonic worrying about infecting people and Eggman specifically targeting the village that took care of him are good touches but I'm just not feeling it otherwise. Like I was never a big fan of Archie Sonic but if someone was about to get roboticized in it that was a big fuckin' deal. Some of the first Archie Sonic stuff I read was the Mecha Madness arc and, even knowing they wouldn't kill off Sonic or leave him roboticized forever, there was some pretty heavy shit going on there. Robotnik finally "winning" in capturing and roboticizing Sonic, Mecha Sonic tearing through the Freedom Fighters and barely having to slow down until their desperate last resort of Mecha Knuckles, Sonic feeling guilty even though he had no control over any of this, and flirting with the idea of Sonic dying even if (again) we all knew he wouldn't...there's weight to that, even with the jokes and slapstick mixed in. Here though we have a whole village getting zombotified and it's like...ok? I recognize that this is a bad thing to happen but they're not selling the emotional impact.

e: did I use Mecha Madness as an example before? I feel like I used it before. Whatever, still stands.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't read the latest issue yet, but am I the only one who doesn't wonder why the hell Eggman isn't trying to screw with Sonic instead of infecting random villages? I get the dark aspect of him going after the village that took care of him, but like, he knows Sonic is infected, and given he's not turned yet, it shouldn't take him long to figure out Sonic's speed is causing it to have a slower effect.

Call it silly, but tbh, I think I would've preferred a story where Sonic is forced to laser-focus on constantly running as fast as he can, or else the virus will spread around him, and Eggman creating trap after trap, and plan after plan to forcefully trip him up. Hell, it might add a bit of suspense if it was literally if Sonic stopped for even 30 seconds, the virus would overtake him. 

Basically, imagine a reverse of that episode of Sonic X, where Sonic got the robo-chip that forced him to constantly run, and everyone had to try capture him using traps, only given a sinister twist where Eggman is the one doing it, while Sonic's friends and Sonic himself are trying to stop Eggman's attempts to do this. Hell, have Eggman attack villages to force Sonic to either decide to keep running for his own sake, or risk infecting himself, or others further.  

38 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

I dunno, it's just not super gripping. I'm bugged that we have this crazy vibrant series and we're just going to be focusing on "gray stuff turns everyone into gray robo-zombies" for like a year.  Maybe it'll pick up eventually but I'm just not into it.

I think my biggest gripe with this comic so far is the pacing. Why do we need to spend almost a year (going by the solicits) on this one arc, like we did with the Metal Sonic arc? Why does it need to be dragged out for that long? I get decompression is a thing with most modern comics in general but Christ.

Y'know, and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, if you aren't enjoying the book 16 issues in you can stop reading it. I mean I don't know but to me if it just seems like if you don't like it maybe just drop it? 

I really feel like for the most part people are just sticking with this franchise out of some kind of brand loyalty but it's ok to have out grown it and just not like it anymore. I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Y'know, and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, if you aren't enjoying the book 16 issues in you can stop reading it. I mean I don't know but to me if it just seems like if you don't like it maybe just drop it? 

I really feel like for the most part people are just sticking with this franchise out of some kind of brand loyalty but it's ok to have out grown it and just not like it anymore. I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

Never thought of this. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Heckboy said:

Never thought of this. Thanks.

I'm just saying if you hate the book so much why keep buying it? This has never made sense to me. 

Maybe I'm easily pleased but honestly the moment I saw the movie Sonic design I felt absolute dread for a Sonic thing for the first time and honestly if that kind of seething hatred is what people are feeling on a regular basis why the fuck does anybody screw around with this franchise? It just boggles my mind.