Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Just now, StaticMania said:

It's a good thing I didn't say anything about liking the character, that's just an add-on.

But...what exactly is Scrappy Doo's purpose and how is it similar to what Tangle is?

She's a character meant for the audience, primarily smaller children to identify with. She's wild and inexperienced and a fan of the characters , and by being a fan of the characters but being new allows for characters to have to explain to her the characters like they were explaining to the audience along with story points. Basically a relatable narrative device to talk directly to the viewer and identity with the primarily targeted demo. Scrappy do was bad at it, but that was also his function. Its not an uncommon narrative device, even in sonic , sticks was previously this character.

So when I say they are " Scrappy do " i'm not saying they are " literally scrappy do " this isn't like people saying shadow is vegeta or knuckles's is piccolo where there are a lot of issues with those statements. I'm saying she serves the same narrative function as a scrappy do character , would.

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

In the wikia they say that Sonic remembers being cursed by the Flame of Judgement and Werehog curse!

Oh does it?  Guess someone already hot the issue. 

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She's a character meant for the audience, primarily smaller children to identify with. She's wild and inexperienced and a fan of the characters , and by being a fan of the characters but being new allows for characters to have to explain to her the characters like they were explaining to the audience along with story points. Basically a relatable narrative device to talk directly to the viewer and identity with the primarily targeted demo. Scrappy do was bad at it, but that was also his function. Its not an uncommon narrative device, even in sonic , sticks was previously this character.

So when I say they are " Scrappy do " i'm not saying they are " literally scrappy do " this isn't like people saying shadow is vegeta or knuckles's is piccolo where there are a lot of issues with those statements. I'm saying she serves the same narrative function as a scrappy do character , would.

Oh, I thought you meant she was added to the comics to save the..."ratings"

Or the equivalent.

Uhhh, it's close enough I guess. I don't recall Scrappy Doo playing that role (especially for a formula show like Scooby Doo), but I never watched his introduction.

57 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She doesn't seem recklessly impulsive enough for this to be accurate.

That would require her to literally be a hindrance to the group and not learn from it.

Maybe even an annoying voice, which, okay she does have that part down.

She does have the basic personality for that, though.

52 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's a good thing I didn't say anything about liking the character, that's just an add-on.

But...what exactly is Scrappy Doo's purpose and how is it similar to what Tangle is?

19 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Oh, I thought you meant she was added to the comics to save the..."ratings"

Yeah, that was more or less the original idea of his inception: to add a new character in order to spice up the formula.

What's funny is that it actually worked.

54 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

She's a character meant for the audience, primarily smaller children to identify with. She's wild and inexperienced and a fan of the characters , and by being a fan of the characters but being new allows for characters to have to explain to her the characters like they were explaining to the audience along with story points. Basically a relatable narrative device to talk directly to the viewer and identity with the primarily targeted demo. Scrappy do was bad at it, but that was also his function.

Was he that too?

48 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Its not an uncommon narrative device, even in sonic , sticks was previously this character.

She technically has the same sort of temperament too, yes, but I don't remember her really crossing into either of the other two's territories.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

The term your looking for is "Kid Appeal character", which fits mostly your description. Scrappy Doo isn't that at all. Scrappy was added to "shake up" the normal group dynamics of the Mystery Gang by making a character that was obviously in over their head and had to be bailed out by the more experienced members of the cast. Hence why he's hated, for being an active hindrance to the normal group and adding nothing else of value, which made him come off as obnoxious. 

Tangle...doesn't really fit that description. 

40 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The term your looking for is "Kid Appeal character", which fits mostly your description. Scrappy Doo isn't that at all. Scrappy was added to "shake up" the normal group dynamics of the Mystery Gang by making a character that was obviously in over their head and had to be bailed out by the more experienced members of the cast. Hence why he's hated, for being an active hindrance to the normal group and adding nothing else of value, which made him come off as obnoxious. 

There was also the fact that he stuck around even when the other three started to be phased and arguably started a trend of weird add on characters that people found annoying.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Freddie and Velma were phased out, Daphne was on and off.

Yeah, I remember. She was in that one show with what I initially thought was her and Shaggy's random kid.

3 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yeah, that sounds more like Marine the Raccoon than Tangle.

It begin.

I really liked this issue.

Spoiler

I like this formula of "Eggman do a thing, Sonic try to do a thing", and that for the moment they don't encounter each other. (I'm a bit iffy with Sonic actually mentioning that formula but… that's a good thing to see Sonic being actually concerned by what's going on, and trying to think through the situation instead of just dashing forward. The information isn't that Sonic and Eggman didn't enountered each-other yet, but that Sonic is concerned by that.). I think that taking a good chunk of the story time to show the zombotification of Windmill Village was a good idea. With this arc, we actively see the threat and how it seems irremediable.

A bit sad that that neither Tails nor Tangle have been infected, but I suppose that it'll happens later, a "friend infection".

I also liked how Eggman is nearly turning "welp when this world is over, I'll go conquer others", it remind me a bit of Dark Enerjak and Robo-Robotnik, and I like that. He have a (seemingly) failure-safe project, and is already prepared to go conquering other worlds even though he hasn't finished this world yet. Eggman's ego at his finest.

I'm pretty interested in how they'll make Sonic win the day against such odds, though.

6 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

It begin.

I really liked this issue.

Reveal hidden contents

I like this formula of "Eggman do a thing, Sonic try to do a thing", and that for the moment they don't encounter each other. (I'm a bit iffy with Sonic actually mentioning that formula but… that's a good thing to see Sonic being actually concerned by what's going on, and trying to think through the situation instead of just dashing forward. The information isn't that Sonic and Eggman didn't enountered each-other yet, but that Sonic is concerned by that.). I think that taking a good chunk of the story time to show the zombotification of Windmill Village was a good idea. With this arc, we actively see the threat and how it seems irremediable.

A bit sad that that neither Tails nor Tangle have been infected, but I suppose that it'll happens later, a "friend infection".

I also liked how Eggman is nearly turning "welp when this world is over, I'll go conquer others", it remind me a bit of Dark Enerjak and Robo-Robotnik, and I like that. He have a (seemingly) failure-safe project, and is already prepared to go conquering other worlds even though he hasn't finished this world yet. Eggman's ego at his finest.

I'm pretty interested in how they'll make Sonic win the day against such odds, though.

What do you think about the Secret Rings flashback? It's a storybook game set in another dimension, not in Sonic's continuity, and in these games, it's not the same Sonic that is the main character as seen when Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur. It's confusing.

6 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you think about the Secret Rings flashback? It's a storybook game set in another dimension, not in Sonic's continuity, and in these games, it's not the same Sonic that is the main character as seen when Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur. It's confusing.

...what? Since when are the storybook games non-canon?

I mean, yes, the storybook worlds themselves are alternate realities, but it’s our Sonic who goes into them, because why wouldn’t it be?

Just now, Ernest the Panda said:

...what? Since when are the storybook games non-canon?

I mean, yes, the storybook worlds themselves are alternate realities, but it’s our Sonic who goes into them, because why wouldn’t it be?

In the Sonic & The Black Knight he is revealed to be King Arthur. But then he goes back to his reality. It means King Arthur left that reality, or a copy of Sonic is made? (just like a copy of Sonic is made after the Generations split).

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

In the Sonic & The Black Knight he is revealed to be King Arthur. But then he goes back to his reality. It means King Arthur left that reality, or a copy of Sonic is made? (just like a copy of Sonic is made after the Generations split).

He could’ve just left the Arthurian realm without a king.

He definitely returns home at the end because we hear him trying to explain to real-world Amy why he missed their date after the credits.

He could’ve just left the Arthurian realm without a king.

He definitely returns home at the end because we hear him trying to explain to real-world Amy why he missed their date after the credits.

And it's not a different dimension like Blaze's dimension. It's a different reality. I'm not a fan of including them in the IDW canon.

I'm not even a fan of including Sonic Unleashed because of the human world.

...what’s the difference?

Because there's not another Tails or another Sonic in Blaze's dimension.

In the storybook realities there are other Tails, other Sonic, and even other Blaze and Silver and Jet.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

There's another Eggman. Or at least there was before they started fucking things up.

There's also another set of emeralds in parallel to the Chaos Emeralds.

Also, we've only seen a tiny fraction of the people in Blaze's world. Ain't nothing stopping there from being a Sonic in there somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

In the storybook realities there are other Tails, other Sonic, and even other Blaze and Silver and Jet.

Regardless, the storybook worlds being another “reality” doesn’t change the fact Sonic went into those realities and had those experiences within them.

Yeah, it seems weirdly puzzling logic to try and push the Storybook games out of continuity with. I for one enjoyed the reference, and I do open it leaves the door open for additional opportunities, such as, well, revisiting the Storybook worlds.

I would actually be down for Sonic seeking non-scientific solutions to the problem of the Zombot plague if Tails can't cure it in time, such as using the World Rings to empower a wish by Shahra or using the power of Excalibur's scabbard to purge the infection, and perhaps using the World Rings/Excalibur to combat Eggman with the Chaos Emeralds if needed. (And yes, Exalibur's scabbard is depicted as a corrupting influence in Black Knight, but that aspect is honestly out of step with the Arthurian mythos and the vast majority of depictions of the scabbard in general, and the titular Black Knight isn't the 'real' King Arthur anyway, so it's probably that said corruption is really just misuse of its power driven through temptation by unworthy individuals, since Excalibur and its scabbard was meant to be owned by the true Once and Future King, aka Sonic.)

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

It's not that confusing and it's the same Sonic.

Spoiler

Basically, the revelation is quite simple : the "King Arthur" of the game was a fake to begin with. The "King Arthur" as we know it is the creation of Merlin. Sonic is revealed to be King Arthur because he is the one who got Caliburn/Excalibur, making him having met the condition to be King Arthur.

So...issue 16. Yeah...

...does anyone here read IDW Tranformers 2019, the "Bold" reboot? It's absolutely terrible and gave prepared me to be a little lenient on Sonic.

So first: Skelly's art! Man it's so gorgeous. Look at Tail's workshop, kinda SA1, a bit of his head in Sonic Battle, but also it's own thing. It even has Sonic CD flowers, I love it! And face expressions and that shadow-y Eggman....Lawrance? Umm, he's okay.

Story....story....story

Spoiler

1/3 is watching infected Sonic giving exposition we mostly know

1/3 is Eggman explaining his base... why ? Would it really break our suspension of disbelief to just show us this Faceship with no explanation?  He build interplanetary amusement park for Chaos sake, this not-Ark isn't that weird.

1/3  is watching Left For Dead, Sonic edition. ...eh. Hand on a tree was a neat visual, but rest felt a bit 'seen that, done that'.

IDK, I kinda though the issue will be about Sonic and Amy dealing with his infection, like Archie did with Werehog, Tension, emotions, not instant teleportation t Tails Lab.

I admit Eggman is great at being terrible person.