Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

14 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean sure on paper but...it's Sonic. We all know they're going to find a cure and turn everyone back to normal. So far the only victims we have are some skunks that nobody minds getting roughed up, a bunch of villagers that we have almost no reason to care about, and Sonic, the one interesting part of this, but even then he's suppressing it so far just doing what he always does.

Sonic worrying about infecting people and Eggman specifically targeting the village that took care of him are good touches but I'm just not feeling it otherwise. Like I was never a big fan of Archie Sonic but if someone was about to get roboticized in it that was a big fuckin' deal. Some of the first Archie Sonic stuff I read was the Mecha Madness arc and, even knowing they wouldn't kill off Sonic or leave him roboticized forever, there was some pretty heavy shit going on there. Robotnik finally "winning" in capturing and roboticizing Sonic, Mecha Sonic tearing through the Freedom Fighters and barely having to slow down until their desperate last resort of Mecha Knuckles, Sonic feeling guilty even though he had no control over any of this, and flirting with the idea of Sonic dying even if (again) we all knew he wouldn't...there's weight to that, even with the jokes and slapstick mixed in. Here though we have a whole village getting zombotified and it's like...ok? I recognize that this is a bad thing to happen but they're not selling the emotional impact.

e: did I use Mecha Madness as an example before? I feel like I used it before. Whatever, still stands.

To be fair,it is confirmed that one of Sonic's friends will be infected(I hope it isn't Tangle or Wisper: they are still too new,it would leave a bigger impact if Tails,or Knuckles ,or Amy ect. were infected).

My only problem is that Eggman is STILL too cocky that he didn't even make sure that his arch enemy power wasn't a way to slow down the infection! I mean,come on: the dude has lost so many times that you'd think he learned not to be so cocky! He is cocky,yes,but he is supposed to be a genious!

The point of being a genius is that they can just do whatever.

Learning from past mistakes is a long due process...

And not being arrogant is just...not gonna happen.

I'm actually not sure how Eggman was supposed to find out that running as fast as Sonic would slow down the rate of the virus's spread across his body. It's not like the idea came to any of us. 

Plus, the situation Sonic's in still sounds like torture to me. Perhaps I'd be harder on it if his running outright got rid of the virus. That'd be a sorry excuse for a virus if true. While reading it, I was wondering what the catch was going to be when Sonic was acting like he cured himself. 

I can't really chalk this up to arrogance at the moment. 

I'm sure he'll do something more openly arrogant soon though because that's part of Eggman's character. 

Zavok needs to swoop in using his special powers to control all the robot zombies and kill Eggman with them saving the day from this mad man.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I mean, it's not anything to do with being impressed or not, I'm still waiting on the verdict, it's just from what I've heard, and read so far, it's still doing the same old premise even with something this interesting. We've got a massive zombie infection plot, and Sonic infected, yet it still seems to be Sonic running to a village, seeing it's in trouble, and having to get out of it.

Something I forgot to mention here. I do actually want to comment on this because I think we're in two different minds of what the premise of this comic currently is at the moment. The plot line of Sonic running to a village, seeing it's in trouble, and having to get out of it hasn't actually been done since Issue 13. It certainly wasn't done in this issue, which makes it being brought up a little confusing to me. It'll probably happen again in Issue 17 though, considering the outline of the plot for that one. However, the space in between Issues 13 and 17 has really just been dramatic build-up concerning the metal virus and the rate to which it's overtaking the world. Issue 14 sees his experiments on the flickies in their little tubes reach success, coupled with Dr. Starline testing his might against Sonic and Silver. Issue 15, he forces it as a last resort onto Rough and Tumble, two actual characters now, and manages to get Sonic infected. Now in Issue 16, an entire village has been infected and it's officially been released onto the world, with the ending shot being a flicky now headed towards a city.

Now, I find this build up to be gloriously well-done but it's clear that your mileage may vary. The actual point I'm trying to make is that, this formula isn't really as clear cut the same as it was in year 1 so far. Though, it looks like we'll be getting into the thick of something similar to it soon. I have a feeling the village to village thing is going to actually come back.

Actually, reading the synopsis for the upcoming issues makes it clear that it totally is.

The actual pattern that's still observable, however, is the fact that Sonic is in every issue and each issue he's paling around with some other member of the cast. Unlike year 1 though, they aren't almost literally doing the same thing as before. Despite enjoying it for what it was, there was a much more obvious pattern when it came to the sequence of events back in year 1. Things are leading more into the next actual plot point this go around, which I prefer.

As of right now though, the only consistent and observable pattern is that we'll get Sonic and someone else from the main cast showing up. And that's really it. 

It's not even in sequential order either since here in Issue 16 he's hanging with Tails again when he just hung with him back in Issue 13.

That being the case, should I feel it reach a point where it becomes largely detrimental to have it so focused on Sonic's point of view, I'll be sure to lament over the fact that the pattern exists but for the moment I feel like because he actually hasn't been doing the village to village thing, it's not proven to be as bad as it's currently being made out to be.

In theory.

I do have a tiny itch of a fear at the back of my mind that because of the inherent focus on Sonic, the chance for this virus infection being on him to lead to anything substantial for him has a chance at suffering. There is a chance that him being a full zombot could still count as him appearing in each issue though, in which case, I'm all for it.

I don't necessarily need Sonic to be inactive or away from what's going on. The pattern only becomes a problem when I feel it hinders what could happen. So far it hasn't yet but it definitely could. I definitely recognize the proposed fear. I don't find the idea of Sonic being totally out of commission all that appealing (nor would I assume he'd need to be. If anything it makes more sense for him to be constantly fighting as well as running) and as such what's happening for now has managed to keep my interest. I'm largely taking the wait and see approach because everything concerning the build up here has graciously only affected me in a positive manner.

However, the build-up has backfired on me before. The climax to the last arc was unsatisfying and if this virus doesn't have a substantial lasting effect for a good long while, I'll probably be disappointed. I don't want these arcs to be so strictly stuck to a yearly format that it hinders the potential something like this could have. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm actually not sure how Eggman was supposed to find out that running as fast as Sonic would slow down the rate of the virus's spread across his body. It's not like the idea came to any of us. 

Plus, the situation Sonic's in still sounds like torture to me. Perhaps I'd be harder on it if his running outright got rid of the virus. That'd be a sorry excuse for a virus if true. While reading it, I was wondering what the catch was going to be when Sonic was acting like he cured himself. 

I can't really chalk this up to arrogance at the moment. 

I'm sure he'll do something more openly arrogant soon though because that's part of Eggman's character. 

By testing how the virus worked with super speed

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

The point of being a genius is that they can just do whatever.

Learning from past mistakes is a long due process...

And not being arrogant is just...not gonna happen.

I'm not saying that he has to change complitely but at least trying to be a little more coscious: it's like Lex Luthor not wanting to find out Superman weakness

1 hour ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

...Why would he do that? Because Sonic goes fast? I don't understand why that idea would come to him. None of us thought this would be the case either. Something I'd chalk up to sheer arrogance would probably be something more clearly observable and obvious.

He was creating a virus, the purpose of which is supposed to spread from person to person and turn them into zombots. His goal and intention is largely focused on that and he succeeded at it. 

It's easy to admonish him after the fact when a complication that no one saw coming arises but I'm really not sure how this is an example of arrogance on his part.

It's definitely an oversight but I feel it's a pretty understandable one. 

I'd hold it up to more scrutiny if, again, going fast made the virus go away but it doesn't. It's just slowing the rate of the infection down a bit. 

Characters knowing things they shouldn't know is bad writing.

Eggman expecting speed prevention would be treading the line.

• Thumbs Up 1

just got the issue, really loved it,

It got pretty dark for a Sonic comic, man parents/older characters using their body to protect young children from being effected by the goo, that was something.

The art was spectacular, loved how Tangle's tail also adds to her expressions, I got lowkey Skullgirls vibe imagining her fighting with her tail like that. 

also dam Starline nearly crying over Eggman being nice to him/showing him science stuff, HE''S really into Eggman

I got the issue, and somewhere, Sticks the Badger is justified in ranting about the Robo-Apocalypse. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

13 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Been wanting to start reading the Sonic IDW comic series for awhile but kept away at first because enough fans said the early issues were boring. Is it worth starting with issue #1 if i want to get into these comics? Or is there a more exciting place to start instead? FYI I'm not the type that it bothers me to jump in the middle of something depending on the exact circumstances of the media in question.

Did you change your name?

Anyway, I'd say the comic is kind of a general mix of underwhelming for a decent amount of people.

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I am not sure what that is suppose to mean? my user name has been the exact same since i joined this forum years ago.

6 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Zavok needs to swoop in using his special powers to control all the robot zombies and kill Eggman with them saving the day from this mad man.

Bless your heart, you sweet summer child.

5 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

I'm not saying that he has to change complitely but at least trying to be a little more coscious: it's like Lex Luthor not wanting to find out Superman weakness

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

...Why would he do that?

The better question is how?

17 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I am not sure what that is suppose to mean? my user name has been the exact same since i joined this forum years ago.

Okay, I just don't recall it.

My bad!

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Anyway, I'd say the comic is kind of a general mix of underwhelming for a decent amount of people.

Issues are being sold out trough, so it seems to have build  a loyal fanbasae. The majority of people who find the comic are underwhelming are fans of the previous comic books (archie) but the comic has been far better received by the general majority of the Sonic fanbase then the former ever has. Even Sonic Team itself has complimented the comic which is something they never did for Archie.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Issues are being sold out trough, so it seems to have build  a loyal fanbasae. The majority of people who find the comic are underwhelming are fans of the previous comic books (archie) but the comic has been far better received by the general majority of the Sonic fanbase then the former ever has. Even Sonic Team itself has complimented the comic which is something they never did for Archie.

They complimented? Source? Didn't hear about this.

Anyway, yeah kids are loving the comic, I know that. Plus fans on reddit, discord, twitter and the IDW facebook squad are really full of positive comments. Haven't heard from those who used to read Archie, but I get why they are disappointed, it's a really different book.

Am I the only one who was bored by most of the Annual? I really love character moments and interactions, it's just that I want stuff to happen, main plots moving forward, a threat/conflict, so I rather prefer the main issues, just my opinion. The formula has nothing wrong IMO, it's pretty standard, Sonic + ally go on a quest/mission, didn't that happen on Archie as well? The difference is that Archie had more arcs, but literally it was that, even at the beginning with Countdown to Chaos, they had to meet each redesigned Freedom Fighter in each issue, but it was okay because there was a lot of baggage in the story, for the previous continuity leftovers. That was my main hook with that arc. Here it was the mystery villain. Eggman is an absolute beast here and I'm loving it, I also loved Neo Metal Sonic though. Starline... could be used in better ways, I want to see him shine more as a standalone villain, not another Snively. So yeah, I didn't really want any issues with Sonic relaxing and enjoying life, we have had enough panels in issues 12 and 13 for that.

Spoiler

(Rereads the Comic Preview for Issue 18)

"Crisis City, Part 1"! Eggman's reign of terror continues! Sonic races to help Team Dark rescue civilians from a major city, but his own metal virus infection is getting worse! Outnumbered, how long can Sonic outrun the inevitable? And who else will fall? A major cornerstone of the metal virus saga! One of Sonic's most powerful allies falls victim to the disease, but who?

Well, it sounds like Shadow is going to be a Zombot.

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

could you link me  to statements

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Well, if people are happy, good for them. I don't want my negativity to ruin their fun.

With that said, you just described Bay Transformers. Makes tons of money, Hasbro approves, only some pesky old fans complain.

I know, it's not 100% identical, but I feel like comics plays it save, like every new 2D Mario (Mario Bros Wii made more many than both Galaxy games combined)

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

...You couldn't help but drag Archie into this, could you? 😑

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Hm... I suppose I could settle for that. 

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And on that day the thread is going to experience some extreme deja vu.

5 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

...any issues with Sonic relaxing and enjoying life, we have had enough panels in issues 12 and 13 for that. 

If it's not suppose to be story related, does it really matter?

@Jack the Shadow @Shadowlax

https://www.idwpublishing.com/sonic-shines-the-spotlight-on-his-many-friends-in-sonic-the-hedgehog-annual-2019/

“I am really happy to draw IDW’s original characters altogether with Sonic and his friends, as I had never imagined that I would draw these characters as official artwork,” said Uekawa. “As with many IDW Sonic series fans, I personally love Tangle and Whisper, and I am very much looking forward to seeing their further adventures with Sonic, as well as seeing original characters in future issues!”

You could argue that Uekawa is just doing his part of his Sonic Team job by promoting Sonic products but notice how they never did that with the Archie series despite its long run? the only times they acknowledged the Archie comic books was years ago when they gave out free-issues at an offical Sonic fan-meet event in Tokyo and those issues were post-reboot. And its not like Sonic Team hides their own distaste for western Sonic products, there pretty open about it such as they did with Sonic Boom
http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/30/new-video-sonic-boom-jp-demo-gameplay/
https://mynintendonews.com/2014/03/17/sonic-team-werent-keen-on-the-original-sonic-boom-designs/
some of them including former members of Sonic Team, have already criticized or reacted poorly to the Sonic movie design on Twitter too.

@MetalSkulkBane The Bay transformers movies were not well received by the majority of Transformers fans trough, while  the Sonic IDW comic books have been well received by the majority of Sonic fans, just not the ones hoping for Sonic archie 2.0. : p.

@DabigRG yes because so far each time I have seen people criticize or bash on the IDW series they always seem to be fans of the archie comic books or on social media I would read messages like 
'' They need to get Ken Penders back!'' '' the archie comic books had more passion!'' and my favorite the one that always comes back once a day '' Bring back the freedom fighters! ''  and the comic sucks cause Sally isnt in it''  
I have yet to meet someone who general doesn't like the ARCHIESonic comic books and doesnt like Sonic idw at the same time.
I am not saying they dont exist im sure that they do and I am also not saying those opinions are not valid, even trough I personally believe a great group of people are possibly blinded by old archie nostalgia (I mean I cant help but roll my eyes when people serious suggest the early 2000's issues had better art or Tracey Yardley drew Sonic characters better in 2006 then he does now, come on from a technical standpoint...) , and some of them just dont like the Sonic games and therefore  dont like the new tone and appearance of the IDW series being closer to that. (but hey what can you do, Sonic is a game first, and majority of people arround the world know Sonic from the games not from its Archie run, even if people like Penders are saying otherwise that simply isnt true.) but I just dont think this group is as big as people make it out to be, the idw comic is well received by the Sonic fans, i see more positive comments about it on the forums here then the archie-thread and its issues continue to be sold out
 https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/211506-Sonic-Continues-to-Sell-Out-Heres-How-To-Catch-A-Copy
http://www.tssznews.com/2018/05/01/idw-sonic-4-sold-out-through-first-printing/
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/05/idws-sonic-comics-sell-out-again/
even trough the anti-Idw Sonic group is trying to spread misinformation about the comic failing or that its numbers are false created by Flynn's evil propaganda machine. (I have seen people make comments like these and it just cracks me up, so much seriousness and hate over a comic book based on a blue hedgehog just not being the way you like it.) facts dont lie trough.

• Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Shouldn't he be immune to disease?

6 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Does the Mega Collection cover gallery not count as promotion then?

Did they added something about Liking the Archie comics? i mean hey they promoted Boom and Sticks too while not Liking it.