Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

I dunno, it's just not super gripping. I'm bugged that we have this crazy vibrant series and we're just going to be focusing on "gray stuff turns everyone into gray robo-zombies" for like a year.  Maybe it'll pick up eventually but I'm just not into it.

I think my biggest gripe with this comic so far is the pacing. Why do we need to spend almost a year (going by the solicits) on this one arc, like we did with the Metal Sonic arc? Why does it need to be dragged out for that long? I get decompression is a thing with most modern comics in general but Christ.

1 hour ago, SatAMhog said:

What's so boring about it?  It's a rather deadly form of roboticization that's contagious not to mention dangerous...

I mean sure on paper but...it's Sonic. We all know they're going to find a cure and turn everyone back to normal. So far the only victims we have are some skunks that nobody minds getting roughed up, a bunch of villagers that we have almost no reason to care about, and Sonic, the one interesting part of this, but even then he's suppressing it so far just doing what he always does.

Sonic worrying about infecting people and Eggman specifically targeting the village that took care of him are good touches but I'm just not feeling it otherwise. Like I was never a big fan of Archie Sonic but if someone was about to get roboticized in it that was a big fuckin' deal. Some of the first Archie Sonic stuff I read was the Mecha Madness arc and, even knowing they wouldn't kill off Sonic or leave him roboticized forever, there was some pretty heavy shit going on there. Robotnik finally "winning" in capturing and roboticizing Sonic, Mecha Sonic tearing through the Freedom Fighters and barely having to slow down until their desperate last resort of Mecha Knuckles, Sonic feeling guilty even though he had no control over any of this, and flirting with the idea of Sonic dying even if (again) we all knew he wouldn't...there's weight to that, even with the jokes and slapstick mixed in. Here though we have a whole village getting zombotified and it's like...ok? I recognize that this is a bad thing to happen but they're not selling the emotional impact.

e: did I use Mecha Madness as an example before? I feel like I used it before. Whatever, still stands.

I haven't read the latest issue yet, but am I the only one who doesn't wonder why the hell Eggman isn't trying to screw with Sonic instead of infecting random villages? I get the dark aspect of him going after the village that took care of him, but like, he knows Sonic is infected, and given he's not turned yet, it shouldn't take him long to figure out Sonic's speed is causing it to have a slower effect.

Call it silly, but tbh, I think I would've preferred a story where Sonic is forced to laser-focus on constantly running as fast as he can, or else the virus will spread around him, and Eggman creating trap after trap, and plan after plan to forcefully trip him up. Hell, it might add a bit of suspense if it was literally if Sonic stopped for even 30 seconds, the virus would overtake him. 

Basically, imagine a reverse of that episode of Sonic X, where Sonic got the robo-chip that forced him to constantly run, and everyone had to try capture him using traps, only given a sinister twist where Eggman is the one doing it, while Sonic's friends and Sonic himself are trying to stop Eggman's attempts to do this. Hell, have Eggman attack villages to force Sonic to either decide to keep running for his own sake, or risk infecting himself, or others further.  

38 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

I dunno, it's just not super gripping. I'm bugged that we have this crazy vibrant series and we're just going to be focusing on "gray stuff turns everyone into gray robo-zombies" for like a year.  Maybe it'll pick up eventually but I'm just not into it.

I think my biggest gripe with this comic so far is the pacing. Why do we need to spend almost a year (going by the solicits) on this one arc, like we did with the Metal Sonic arc? Why does it need to be dragged out for that long? I get decompression is a thing with most modern comics in general but Christ.

Y'know, and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, if you aren't enjoying the book 16 issues in you can stop reading it. I mean I don't know but to me if it just seems like if you don't like it maybe just drop it? 

I really feel like for the most part people are just sticking with this franchise out of some kind of brand loyalty but it's ok to have out grown it and just not like it anymore. I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Y'know, and I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, if you aren't enjoying the book 16 issues in you can stop reading it. I mean I don't know but to me if it just seems like if you don't like it maybe just drop it? 

I really feel like for the most part people are just sticking with this franchise out of some kind of brand loyalty but it's ok to have out grown it and just not like it anymore. I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

Never thought of this. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Heckboy said:

Never thought of this. Thanks.

I'm just saying if you hate the book so much why keep buying it? This has never made sense to me. 

Maybe I'm easily pleased but honestly the moment I saw the movie Sonic design I felt absolute dread for a Sonic thing for the first time and honestly if that kind of seething hatred is what people are feeling on a regular basis why the fuck does anybody screw around with this franchise? It just boggles my mind.

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I haven't read the latest issue yet, but am I the only one who doesn't wonder why the hell Eggman isn't trying to screw with Sonic instead of infecting random villages?

Infect the whole world and there's nowhere left for Sonic to run.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Infect the whole world and there's nowhere left for Sonic to run.

Yeah, but like, as I said - Eggman could still very easily attack villages to simply force Sonic to stop and give in. If anything, he should want that, because Sonic, given his super speed, would be the best virus carrier to very quickly infect people if he was under Eggman's control, as well as Eggman getting to use the world's hero as their very destroyer.

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm just saying if you hate the book so much why keep buying it? This has never made sense to me. 

Maybe I'm easily pleased but honestly the moment I saw the movie Sonic design I felt absolute dread for a Sonic thing for the first time and honestly if that kind of seething hatred is what people are feeling on a regular basis why the fuck does anybody screw around with this franchise? It just boggles my mind.

Corporations have conditioned me (and indeed most of our generation) to cling to my childhood brands because it is the only thing keeping me sane and occupied in a world that is increasingly complicated and distressing.

But really I dunno, it occasionally has moments I like. The annual was fun. The art is sometimes good. It just... fails on every other level most of the time.

9 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

why keep buying it

Monkey.jpg.0e3cef7e386b1c11715b2ebe2e0bfe94.jpg

Damn. Not even this is impressing some people. Well, that sucks.

Well, the infection has just begun. Maybe there's still time for you guys. 

I'm a lot more open to the idea of exploring the ramifications of something like this on the general populace of the world, first and foremost. I do genuinely find that stuff perfectly fine and in this instance, gripping as a sign of what's to come. I don't tend to look at something like this as though it's not something to care about because the first victims were people I'm not intensely familiar with. That's part of the build up. Plus, I still have a general sense of empathy for randos if the presentation is done well. 

It's interesting because the thing I'm worried about is it only lasting a year. I kind of like the idea of this lasting a while. The climax to the last arc was so fast it made what came before feel a little wasted. 

6 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Corporations have conditioned me (and indeed most of our generation) to cling to my childhood brands because it is the only thing keeping me sane and occupied in a world that is increasingly complicated and distressing.

But really I dunno, it occasionally has moments I like. The annual was fun. The art is sometimes good. It just... fails on every other level most of the time.

Well I don't agree on the quality I think it's been a fun ride (and I also enjoyed the Post-reboot comics more than pre-reboot) and I have few complaints and most I have is minor stuff more or less. 

As for the first point...eh fair enough. 

Been wanting to start reading the Sonic IDW comic series for awhile but kept away at first because enough fans said the early issues were boring. Is it worth starting with issue #1 if i want to get into these comics? Or is there a more exciting place to start instead? FYI I'm not the type that it bothers me to jump in the middle of something depending on the exact circumstances of the media in question.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Damn. Not even this is impressing some people. Well, that sucks.

Well, the infection has just begun. Maybe there's still time for you guys. 

I'm a lot more open to the idea of exploring the ramifications of something like this on the general populace of the world, first and foremost. I do genuinely find that stuff perfectly fine and in this instance, gripping as a sign of what's to come. I don't tend to look at something like this as though it's not something to care about because the first victims were people I'm not intensely familiar with. That's part of the build up. Plus, I still have a general sense of empathy for randos if the presentation is done well. 

It's interesting because the thing I'm worried about is it only lasting a year. I kind of like the idea of this lasting a while. The climax to the last arc was so fast it made what came before feel a little wasted. 

I mean, it's not anything to do with being impressed or not, I'm still waiting on the verdict, it's just from what I've heard, and read so far, it's still doing the same old premise even with something this interesting. We've got a massive zombie infection plot, and Sonic infected, yet it still seems to be Sonic running to a village, seeing it's in trouble, and having to get out of it.

Even his infection is being pushed back by his speed, and the plot doesn't seem to be actively doing anything with it. As I said, with the plot of "Sonic has to keep running or else he'll be turned", you'd assume that this would lead to a new twist where Sonic is out of action (forced to constantly run), and the other characters have to try deal things solo, whilst Eggman takes advantage of the situation by either attacking, or trying to turn Sonic.

That's the point I'm making - the plot itself IMO writes itself perfectly for a twist on the formula to this point, where Sonic is forced into an never-stopping obstacle course as Eggman keeps trying to throw trick and trap after him to force him to stop, and let the infection take over. Some people say it's in character for Eggman to just attack villagers, while Sonic is incapacitated, but to me, Eggman is exactly the kind of petty dickhead who would try to turn Sonic fully so he can then act as a carrier for the zombot virus, and on top of that, delight in the irony that his advisory is the person who now is terrifying people. 

When I first heard this premise, I thought we'd at least have a plot where Sonic is seriously and forcefully unable to do anything, because stopping would allow the virus to catch up and overtake him, but from what I hear, instead it just seems like as long as he does what he does, he's fine, and in all honesty, that kind of sucks because that just means we're still running into the same paint by numbers pattern that we've encountered over the past year now, and even now with a fresh plot that should allow with formula twists and breaks, we're still forcing it to shape into that specific mold that Year 1 followed so much.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I mean, it's not anything to do with being impressed or not, I'm still waiting on the verdict, it's just from what I've heard, and read so far, it's still doing the same old premise even with something this interesting. We've got a massive zombie infection plot, and Sonic infected, yet it still seems to be Sonic running to a village, seeing it's in trouble, and having to get out of it.

Even his infection is being pushed back by his speed, and the plot doesn't seem to be actively doing anything with it. As I said, with the plot of "Sonic has to keep running or else he'll be turned", you'd assume that this would lead to a new twist where Sonic is out of action (forced to constantly run), and the other characters have to try deal things solo, whilst Eggman takes advantage of the situation by either attacking, or trying to turn Sonic.

That's the point I'm making - the plot itself IMO writes itself perfectly for a twist on the formula to this point, where Sonic is forced into an never-stopping obstacle course as Eggman keeps trying to throw trick and trap after him to force him to stop, and let the infection take over. Some people say it's in character for Eggman to just attack villagers, while Sonic is incapacitated, but to me, Eggman is exactly the kind of petty dickhead who would try to turn Sonic fully so he can then act as a carrier for the zombot virus, and on top of that, delight in the irony that his advisory is the person who now is terrifying people. 

When I first heard this premise, I thought we'd at least have a plot where Sonic is seriously and forcefully unable to do anything, because stopping would allow the virus to catch up and overtake him, but from what I hear, instead it just seems like as long as he does what he does, he's fine, and in all honesty, that kind of sucks because that just means we're still running into the same paint by numbers pattern that we've encountered over the past year now, and even now with a fresh plot that should allow with formula twists and breaks, we're still forcing it to shape into that specific mold that Year 1 followed so much.

I suppose one could look at it that way... but I don't know. I genuinely don't see this as an issue.

Maybe if I felt the formula itself was getting in the way but I don't. I don't mind Sonic being active in the plot still. I'll be disappointed if nothing comes of it because then it would have just been something done for show while the regular pattern continued to chug along but at the moment it feels like it's got something in mind for him that we've yet to reach just yet. I'm extremely fond of this build up and how the events are playing out so far. 

I also suppose what course of action Eggman takes is up to the individual to decide when it comes to what they prefer. I'm perfectly okay with him focusing his efforts on making sure it spreads first before turning his attention to Sonic or waiting for Sonic to find him while he gets his master plan going. I don't see it as a problem myself. This is the general focus of what he's been trying to do after all. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Maybe if I felt the formula itself was getting in the way but I don't.

I agree. I really don't see the problem with the formula in general. It's been what Ian's done for years Sonic and one or more characters go on an adventure kick some Robot or Legion or Egg Army butt and have some laughs or get some sad moments and then something comes along to totally fuck up the status quo.

It's a perfectly fine formula. 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I agree. I really don't see the problem with the formula in general. It's been what Ian's done for years Sonic and one or more characters go on an adventure kick some Robot or Legion or Egg Army butt and have some laughs or get some sad moments and then something comes along to totally fuck up the status quo.

It's a perfectly fine formula. 

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

The formula should die.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong.

I'm not really for either of these positions. 

What I'm saying is that I'm in the middle. In that I don't care about the formula. 

So long as it doesn't feel like it's intruding on things, to me, it's fine. There will probably, no doubt, be situations where it does (and there even has been a few spots where it did annoy me) but when it comes to the general plot of this arc and what's happened so far, it's not done anything to harm the story that's being told.

So far. I'm not saying it can't happen eventually but everything I just read was some scary, cool shit. I'm loving this and everything about it right now.

To be honest, I like the new year-long arc focus of the series.  It gives the series a focus for the year that you know will see it's end by December and you'll get a resolution sooner.  I'm loving this arc thus far...Dr. Starline is a fun new villian, Eggman is back to being his evil self(times infinity) and the book is fun.  I love it. :)  We got fan service in season 1 and now the story ramps up in Season 2.

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

"There's Zombots everywhere! Help me, Officer James Marsden!"

Aw man, what if this is a stealth prequel to the movie somehow? Sonic finds a pack of Warp Rings to banish himself to another dimension so no one else can be infected, turns into a baby and is horrifically mutated because of magic side-effects, and lands in Tom's world

I can understand the aforementioned criticisms towards this arc, but I don't feel they drag the issues down. Yea, it's pretty by the numbers, but my biggest misgiving was that the things that were happening just were pretty mundane and uninteresting. Stuff actually happens in this issue, stuff that actually matters and might potentially have impact on the arc for the rest of the year. Its not very original nor does it carry much weight if you never cared for this little village, but I feel it gets the job done. It's meant to establish that Eggman is a bastard through and through by targeting a village that took him in. Maybe it could have had more weight if we actually got to personally know one of the villagers beforehand, but I feel it gets the job done regardless.

Maybe we'll see some nice character introspection on Sonic's part as he has to basically distance himself from his friends to prevent the virus from taking over. Who knows, if it goes back to the same "Sonic goes to a village and teams up with a character of the day" and none of what I typed is acknowledged much at all, fine. I'll call it out, but I'm at least willing to see where it goes because of this issue. 

The issue is good; it doesn't have to be spectacular nor break new ground, it just has to be good enough to keep the reader interested. Could things be done differently? Absolutely, but I don't feel this is necessarily too boring.  Or maybe I'm just so used to the series have shoddy writing that anything remotely competent looks good, I dunno.