Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

14 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

@Heckboy that sounds intreseting but not the setting Sonic is from which is modern or fantasy ish like world, making a different setting again would just be meh in a way

I think you misread my post. I don't want a comic with the setting of Usagi Yojimbo, just a similar story format. 

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That's rude.

Charmy is only a lad, he doesn't need depth.

Heh. 

It's kind of a shame that a recurring character that's been around since Heroes hasn't gotten much screentime. And poor freebee there has it probably the worst. 

55 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic characters aren't really about depth (not all anyway). They are about how competently they are made.

I assume you pick these because they both have curled tails.  

Other than that he's a animal, like rest of Sonic world, he fits.

To be fair, Eggman, Metal, Chaos, and the other Chao aren't animals either. 

I don't think it overly matters what they are. As long as who they are and possibly any factoid of what they are is checked. 

As ninja he needs to disappear, so he's chameleon.

He's ninja and detective. 

He is indeed ninja. He is chameleon too. :lol:

A cool stoic and yet part of biggest goofballs of Sonic. 

Is he? Cause part of the reason I cite him is that most of what other personality he has comes from spinoffs or the classic era bios. 

Also, you just described Zavok as well.

Now tell me same things about Zeena. She's a snooty girl...yes, I suppose she looks like one.
And that's all I can say with certainty. Her loose powers, unknown origins, shallow role in the world, strange 'zeti' design.
And final nail: Zeena isn't likeable. Chaotix are made as this funny disorganized team. Zeena was made  to look like loser for Sonic to make fun of, she's one-note and yet we spend considerable time on her in cutscenes and in-stage dialogue.

Oh, Zeena sucks. 

57 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

And final nail: Zeena isn't likeable. Chaotix are made as this funny disorganized team. Zeena was made  to look like loser for Sonic to make fun of, she's one-note and yet we spend considerable time on her in cutscenes and in-stage dialogue.

Uh, define likeable. 

Also, it's funny you bring up time with her in particular.  

48 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

They love the designs to be sure...

That's all they have in most games...

...Are you talking the Zeti or Sonic characters on general?

Ian Flynn's writing is far to serious for its own good having to little jokes with characters needing to mature suddenly this especially happens with Amy. About Zeena I believe its fair to say most characters don't have all of their back story explained in the first game their seen in.

27 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Ian Flynn's writing is far to serious for its own good having to little jokes with characters needing to mature suddenly this especially happens with Amy. About Zeena I believe its fair to say most characters don't have all of their back story explained in the first game their seen in.

Most characters either have their backstory explained in their first game, or don't have backstories at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Ian Flynn's writing is far to serious for its own good having to little jokes with characters needing to mature suddenly this especially happens with Amy.

Said after the most recent issue includes Tangle.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

About Zeena I believe its fair to say most characters don't have all of their back story explained in the first game their seen in.

True, but Zeena is more or less the ur example of how you need something.

19 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

@Shadowlax you do know I mentioned and members OF Sonic Team not just former right? ukewa and Takashi are still members of Sonic Team, (sorry if miss spell their names) did you even check the videos. And interview? They mention that showing Sonic Boom off to Sonic Team was painful for them (Sonic Team) Sonic Team also called Sonic Boom "" just a series to sell toys to sell to American children"" and ""you Will get a proper Sonic game later"" also members of Sonic Team are again dissing Sonic the movie.

Ok , admittedly, that's pretty harsh. That said I feel like Sonic boom much like the movie is an extreme case.  And while I do think there is a disdain  felt some Archie decisions I don't think its regular practice. I think in those two situations much like pre-boot Archie they did not represent what they wanted sonic and co to represent. 

I don't think its a normal practice they are bothering to talk about this new book because they have more control over it and it will most likely be used as a more effective advertising arm for their game and characters and that's it really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got around to seeing the new issue. Being honest, it's probably the best issue of the comic so far. It's not amazing, but it's starting to head towards the direction I've been wanting, and wasn't what I thought it was gonna be based off what people were saying here. 

Off the top of my head: 

Spoiler
  • Extremely happy that Eggman got to distribute the virus with Sonic and co none the wiser. I expected this was going to be Eggman running around and infecting as many places as he could, but it looks like he's actually just made one batch of payload, enough to fill up the entire village, and he's now spreading that around to other towns. I really hope this means he's gonna be free to mess with Sonic while the Zombots are doing their thing.
  • Eggman returning to the village is very petty, and spiteful, definitely a good showing that Eggman is not a good guy. Frankly, it goes to show that Ian's writing a much better version of the Eggman we should've gotten in Forces (Top of his game, pretty damn evil, but also insanely egotistical, cocky, and goofy). I'd still like to see more of Eggman's goofy side come out, striking a balance between the two is important IMO, but for now, I like what we're seeing.
  • Sonic and Tails' thing was pretty meh, they didn't get much of the comic to themselves, and Sonic quickly exiles himself before Tails could do tests (which I'm not sure about, since couldn't Sonic just run it into remission, let it slowly appear so Tails can do quick tests, and then force it back into remission?)
  • Really liked that Sonic seems afraid. That final part with him trying to reassure himself that he'll be fine is one of the strongest moments for him in the book, a decent one to humanise him. It's like he realises that this isn't gonna be a cure, it didn't work before, but he's in denial about it, because he'd otherwise completely freak out about it. Really liked how they tried to use previous adventures to highlight it, despite the fact Sonic knows this is Eggman made, and highly more dangerous, and unlikely to be so simple to fix.
  • Was not expecting a Secret Rings or Unleashed reference, and was super hyped to see them. I know we were told all games are canon, but seeing Sonic explicitly show the Werehog and the Flame from Secret Rings was great. Really hope this means we might see some additional appearances from the storybook games, or even the Gaia lore. 

Overall, pretty cautious about how things progress from here. It was a great story, but I'm really hoping Ian continues to make full use of the potential, and not fall back into old tricks that led to the disappointing conclusion of the Metal Sonic arc.

Preview is out, does the thing I always wanted to do. Shows the animal folks in their world living in human like cities, doing stuff. Too bad things are about to go 0-100, real quick

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Preview is out, does the thing I always wanted to do. Shows the animal folks in their world living in human like cities, doing stuff. Too bad things are about to go 0-100, real quick

You say the preview is out, but do you have sauce?

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

There's also Oshima Street and Naka Street. Nice references.

Yeah, that was in the comments.

That part of overlooking the smoke reminds me of Nick Fury at the end of Infinity War. 

Code red. 

24 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That part of overlooking the smoke reminds me of Nick Fury at the end of Infinity War. 

Code red. 

Not a good sign, man. 

Random observation: Chaotix’s office has moved from Westopolis to Seaside City.

Just finished up with issue #16 and I really like where this arc is going. Lots of things happening all at once. Loved how they incorporated Tangle and Whispers story from the annual into it.

I’m now wondering if the Babylon Rogues will appear later down the road.

14 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Random observation: Chaotix’s office has moved from Westopolis to Seaside City.

What is Seaside City?

4 hours ago, Eurisko said:

I’m now wondering if the Babylon Rogues will appear later down the road.

They kinda have to.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

What is Seaside City?

Brand new location introduced in this issue. Looks like a large metropolis by the coast.

2 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Brand new location introduced in this issue. Looks like a large metropolis by the coast.

Ah.

Speaking of which, was the Chaotix's office ever set in a specific city?

I always imagined the Chaotix's office set in a forest. It's mostly just been seen on the outside in Sonic X and that one Sonic Channel comic where Vector stuck his pudding in the freezer.

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I wanted to get the issue and it was already sold out.

AHHHH

Try ebay!