Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Issue 17 was okay overall. It stars the Chaotix which is cool and all, but this is definitely a zombie infection story at its base.

And by Scott, that's all it is. As someone who ended up following TWDG despite himself, I'm still not big into that genre, so aside from a few select details and moments, this was not a particularly interesting read. The fact that it went by pretty fast is probably factor too. Oh and speaking of which, Sonic felt like an afterthought, to be honest.

As for the "big" moment,

Spoiler

Kinda thought Espio would be the one to make that call, but I guess it's not too out there for Vector to have that moment. I'm a little weird about what happened with Charmy, but that's small something else for a little later.

I am a fan of Walking Dead comics, the best comics ever (I read the 20 volumes in 2 days).

I hope we get some of the influences in Sonic.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

As for the "big" moment,

Reveal hidden contents

Kinda thought Espio would be the one to make that call, but I guess it's not too out there for Vector to have that moment. I'm a little weird about what happened with Charmy, but that's small something else for a little later.

Spoiler

Vector's supposed to be the compassionate one of the trio who won't turn people in need away (hence their agency's always short on money), so him making that The Walking Dead:tm: call had more impact for his character than it'd have for the others. Regardless, I'm sure Espio would have done the same after his initial hesitation.

To be honest, I was expecting all three of them to fall in this issue since they're among the more vulnerable of the cast (Vector forgot he has fire breath but they don't really use that for him anymore), but since Cream/Vanilla and Team Dark are coming up, I suppose there'll be enough casualties. I just hope this arc won't lead to another showdown like Year 1 where everyone gets one or two lines, in which case I'd rather have all three of them as zombots.

Really enjoyed this issue overall! I haven't followed IDW much and despite appearing in Year 1, the Chaotix didn't leave much of an impression there since they were kind of crammed into other's storylines, but Ian has improved writing them quite a bit over the years. Just like other characters (if not more so), they're more interesting when allowed to do their own thing rather than tag along Sonic.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I can't believe Charmy Bee is fucking dead.

Hey put it in spoiler!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You can't?

Kids are always the 1st to go.

It works in reverse, and super slowly too.

Okay, now I'm putting my money on Vanilla being the next to go. She's practically a walking target right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Reading #17 confirmed my suspicions I had in a while; Year Two isn't bad, but I hate it's pacing. This is proper start of Zombot invasion, but it feels like we've been here for ever.

I see no reason why why issue #13 couldn't have Starline helping skunk duo and end with Sonic infected, This issue should be 2nd, 3rd tops.

Eh, I'm not sure about how that'd play.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hide contents

It's a zombie apocalypse as you seen before, just with Sonic characters. I kinda wish story with focused on Chaotix, but with more characters in a background.

At least zombot-ize some chao or put single panel of still-hurt Silver pushing zombies away from Restoration's craft.

In conclusion I'm a greedy bastard, who even when he doesn't have any real complains, he complains there isn't more.

Yeah, that actually might've been a cool touch.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I am a fan of Walking Dead comics, the best comics ever (I read the 20 volumes in 2 days).

I hope we get some of the influences in Sonic.

Good for you.

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Can't you tho?

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:
  Hide contents

Vector's supposed to be the compassionate one of the trio who won't turn people in need away (hence their agency's always short on money), so him making that The Walking Dead:tm: call had more impact for his character than it'd have for the others.

Vector's such a rounded character. Still didn't think he was that guy.

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:
  Hide contents

To be honest, I was expecting all three of them to fall in this issue since they're among the more vulnerable of the cast (Vector forgot he has fire breath but they don't really use that for him anymore), but since Cream/Vanilla and Team Dark are coming up, I suppose there'll be enough casualties. I just hope this arc won't lead to another showdown like Year 1 where everyone gets one or two lines, in which case I'd rather have all three of them as zombots.

Huh. I suppose that'd makes sense.

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:
  Hide contents

(Vector forgot he has fire breath but they don't really use that for him anymore), 

Yeah, I was getting ready to say! :lol:  Like, he probably didn't want to hurt anyone, but at least could've pulled a Godzilla.

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Vector's supposed to be the compassionate one of the trio who won't turn people in need away (hence their agency's always short on money), so him making that The Walking Dead:tm: call had more impact for his character than it'd have for the others. Regardless, I'm sure Espio would have done the same after his initial hesitation.

Really enjoyed this issue overall! I haven't followed IDW much and despite appearing in Year 1, the Chaotix didn't leave much of an impression there since they were kind of crammed into other's storylines, but Ian has improved writing them quite a bit over the years. Just like other characters (if not more so), they're more interesting when allowed to do their own thing rather than tag along Sonic.

Well aside from Charmy, they kinda took a bit of a backseat there, especially once Mr. The Hedgy showed.

Eh, maybe that's another factor in this being okay. It's an issue where the Chaotix are the stars, but it feels like they didn't really get to do much character-wise outside of that particular moment and maybe at the very beginning.

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, now I'm putting my money on Vanilla being the next to go. She's practically a walking target right now.

Yeah, especially with what happened here, it's extra likely.

Though speaking of which, here's something I thought about last week that ended up applying here already

Spoiler

The virus now has a fast, airborne carrier

oh man this issue was dark '' not like omg super dark'' but  first - time- dark for kids- level and its good, Wow tracey improved so much,!
when reading this issue all I could think of was how cool and awesome it would have been if this was also animated? i hope one day because that be trilling to see

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

when tangle and whisper

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog:_Tangle_%26_Whisper_Issue_1

One week

You know, I do wonder how Soniic's infection will affect the story. Will it be a pointless gimmick like Archie Werehog? Or maybe excuse that Sonic is tired, to artificially up the stakes?

I do hope that it will lead to creative scenarios where Sonic needs to defeat enemies with minimal amount of punches or help people without touching them, stuff like that. (Funny enough, forced constant movement sounds like a intriguing gameplay mechanic.)

30 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

(Funny enough, forced constant movement sounds like a intriguing gameplay mechanic.)

Super Hyper Mach Speed 2006

• Too Many Rings 1

5 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

when tangle and whisper

walk into a bar

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Will it be a pointless gimmick like Archie Werehog?

It was a plot point, not a gimmick. One some people wanted to see in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 Fast Facts from Tracy Yardley on Twitter.

This was one of the most challenging issues I've ever drawn, but I think it turned out pretty well. I just had to go all out with that cityscape.

Q: Does the whole interior of the Faceship rotate? Its dumped the virus from two angles, and it launched straight up. Tryin' to figure out how this thing works.

A: That’s my fault I guess. I didn’t realize that it flew face down and it didn’t occur to me to ask. In any case, it works better visually in this instance for us to see its face from a distance, so chalk this one up to bad continuity/creative liberties.

Personally, it looks more menacing from that angle.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

2 Fast Facts from Tracy Yardley on Twitter.

Personally, it looks more menacing from that angle.

This is his best issue in terms of art

I agree that Tracy churned out some great work here, some of the best he's done in a long time.

Can't help but feel sorry for that poor cat girl.

15 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I agree that Tracy churned out some great work here, some of the best he's done in a long time.

Can't help but feel sorry for that poor cat girl.

I feel like the fact he's now inking his own work and also not being the primary artist on the book has helped a great deal.

Maybe it's only because I've read through once right now, but I really enjoyed issue 17. Something about it just really stuck for me making it a pleasure to read. I hope next issue entertains me as much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really enjoyed Sonic's refreshing inner turmoil in this issue. Seeing this confident character who strongly values his own freedom have to deal with being a burden on others and facing a threat that steals his sense of self is fascinating.

I gotta say, the writers are especially nailing it with this character. The way he cares for his friends but only wants to spend time with them on his terms, the way he procrastinates on letting Amy know he's OK... it's perfect! It's just a little more genuine exploration of his most interesting traits from the games, but it really rounds him out and makes him feel like a real character. He's like his theme songs from the Adventure games personified, and that's awesome. :D

• Thumbs Up 3

Just read Issue 17 and my heart is pumping. 

I knew going into this that we were going to lose somebody but I didn't know who it would be. The last person I expected it to be was Charmy though. You've got the two older and mature guys and a small child. The one you pick to turn into the Zombot is the child though.

I was a tad conflicted by the way he got it. On the one hand I do get that he's a kid and the point is that he's too kind-hearted and too ready to throw himself in harm's way to protect people but for my own personal position, I was kind of hoping to see him suffer through losing one of his dads. Also, I feel like most would probably look past his intentions and his age and just use it as a reason to call him stupid and other mean things. 

However, considering what the Metal Virus turns you into, it's supremely dark having it go in on Charmy like that. I appreciate how it's not holding back. 

I really enjoyed the scene where Vector put all the cars around that infected woman. I enjoyed Vector overall here. Dude's a leader and he takes charge by making the right calls. Whether or not they get along, it's clear, especially by the ending panel, that they care deeply about that kid and vice-versa. 

Again, I also have to stress, how perfect Ian would be for the games. This would work even as a game where only Sonic was playable because of how this is structured. 

I wanna gush more about it but I'm not sure what else I can say. They got my favorite bumble boy and it makes me sad. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Also, I feel like most would probably look past his intentions and his age and just use it as a reason to call him stupid and other mean things. 

As is often the case with most child characters.

• Absolutely 2

They got my favourite bumble boy too and it makes me think of all the Vecpio angst possibilities because I'm a twisted bastard.

Certainly one of the most memorable IDW issues since...uh, to be honest, since ever. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Feeling really mixed on this issue and this arc overall. Putting the Chaotix through standard zombie morality drama isn't that interesting for someone who used to consume stuff like this all the time about 5 years ago. The chaotix just feel a tad misplaced here in general. They're fairly lighthearted characters, and while I wouldn't really be against making them the forefront of a serious story just because of that, they become completely capable heroes for most of the issue with none of their quirks shining through. Charmy becomes the idealistic one who gets punished for not following along with Vector's pragmatism. We've all seen that before re: zombies and I'm not really sure it suits charmy and vector all that well either.

The whole thing comes off as a little dull to the point where I couldn't really feel much when Charmy got snatched at the end. I'm not inherently excited by the prospect of Sonic "not holding back" and creating grim situations for the sake of it. This isn't to say I think the series can't have some emotional punch, but it comes off as a little cheap here. They have to be smarter about it than this.

• Thumbs Up 1