Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

They have to be smarter about it than this.

Like how?

I feel it's pretty good, and it's not as dark as the death of Chao by warmongers.

I can't shake the feeling that Eggman wants to be like the bydo from R-type Final with the way he wants to effect all living things in space to.

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Like how?

I feel it's pretty good, and it's not as dark as the death of Chao by warmongers.

It's not too dark or anything. I just wasn't into it

Wacky characters don't have to stay wacky, but I guess there is...a scaling problem in a situation like this.

One of the things I anticipated the most, and still do to a certain extent as far as the Chaotix are concerned, are indeed situations where their eccentric and light-hearted personalities are thrust into a heavy situation like this. I knew in my heart that it would hit me the absolute most seeing this happen to not only one of them, but Charmy in particular because of how the emotional build up and pay off is more likely to work with someone like him.

Anyone can throw a serious character into a serious story with a serious setting. There's not a ton I find too interesting about that because I expect their reactions to be relatively the same. I tend not to get as excited about that as I do seeing characters like Sonic or the Chaotix thrust into those kinds of situations. When happy-go-lucky, wacky, and excitable characters are shown being happy and having a good time, it naturally hits harder for me when that's disrupted. Allowing the more sincere and genuine parts of their personality to shine through that doesn't fully rely on their quirks helps ensure how much more flexible as characters they can be as well. 

I'm in a much more sorrowful and worried emotional state concerning the comic because of it. That's going to make the payoff of seeing him come back even more cathartic for me.

That's just kind of how it's always been for me though. I do generally prefer my protagonists to be fun and wacky so that when serious and miserable stuff happens to them, I can feel more emotionally attached because I have a desire to see them return to that state. Plus, I find how the story-telling handles the juxtaposition to be more interesting. It might be why I find more interest in Halloween episodes of innocent kid shows going all out with the terror far more engaging than watching regular horror movies where serious adults face the same thing. It might also be why it's hard getting too excited about the appearance of characters like Shadow or Blaze as well. 

Might just be a matter a preference.

• Thumbs Up 5

StH #20 and Tangle and Whisper #2 solicitations! (No covers yet.)

StH #20

Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Evan Stanley (c)

"Crisis City, Part 2"! When a powerful ally succumbs to the Metal Virus, Omega and Sonic stand alone against an infected city. And even if they can save the remaining civilians from the zombots, will they be safe from Sonic?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Tangle and Whisper #2

Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a & c)

If Tangle and Whisper know they're being led into a trap, the imposter they've been chasing can't get the drop on them, right? Who is this mysterious imposter, why is Whisper so adamant about taking him down, and will Tangle be able to help—or just get in the way? Find out in "Ambush"!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Seems pretty obvious that the "powerful ally" is Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ohhoho....

How curious.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

They're fairly lighthearted characters, and while I wouldn't really be against making them the forefront of a serious story just because of that, they become completely capable heroes for most of the issue with none of their quirks shining through.

That is another factor.

Spoiler

I figured it was Shadow, but I thought he was immune to disease. Wasn't that Geralds point in creating him in the first place? And couldn't he run it off like Sonic can?

• Thumbs Up 2

A thought just occurred to me.

Spoiler

Imagine if there was a strain of the Metal Virus in later issues.
That not only turns you metal, but somehow allows you to keep your consciousness.
Like, your sentience and shit.
Maybe a villain can use it, so that not only do they keep their intelligence, but they are also gain the benefits of being a Zombot.
Like, imagine if Starline used that shit.
A teleportating, virtually invincible scientist that can spread the disease even further.
It'd give him something that he could actually do.

Sonic and Omega interacting is interesting, given they've almost never done that in any medium up to this point. Shame it's going to focus on their relationships with Shadow likely, but still something new.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2019 at 5:17 AM, Marco9966 said:

New covers:

q0qmw03k1gy21.jpg

One of these three outcomes for this issue needs to happen:

Spoiler

1) Very possible: The whole family is seemingly saved and hug while Sonic moves on to save more people, but the ending shows that one of the two rabbits is still infected.

2) Likely: Vanilla stays behind to save the rest of the family.

3) Most daring but least possible: Cream stays behind to save the rest of the family.

Of course, the most obvious and play-it-safe fourth outcome would be that the entire family is saved. No one is infected. More of a cop out, but the most expected.

Then again, it would be interesting if the family decides to stay infected together than be driven apart by this epidemic/pandemic.

As cruel as it is, this has to be a Lose-Lose situation until the inevitable cure plot happens.

There is no way Cream is going to get Robozombofied there has to be a mandate against that somewhere 😂

Oh sure, don't let the little girl basically turned into a zombie...but the little boy gets to.

Disgustingly positive.

• Thumbs Up 1

We got new covers!

D7VABSQWwAAOILa?format=jpg&name=large

Cover for issue 20!

D7VABxUWwAE8W6h?format=jpg&name=medium

Cover for Tangle and Whisper #2! That looks like an Octopus or a squid.

E: looking closer thats more of an Octopus.

• Thumbs Up 3

Since the description mentions Sonic and Omega teaming up, I'm guessing both Shadow and Rouge get zomboticized. This is gonna be awesome. I don't get how robots can handle the virus. Omega seems he'll be okay but what is up with...

Spoiler

Gemerl? Issue 17 says it's Sonic vs Gemerl on the next issue. I'm guessing robots CAN get infected. 

Anyway, I'm sorry for Charmy, but it was an heroic act, so it felt even more sad tbh. I was expecting Espio as a zombot.

7 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

There is no way Cream is going to get Robozombofied there has to be a mandate against that somewhere 😂

Well,Charmy was her age yet he wasn't spared...

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

We got new covers!

Cover for issue 20!

Gotta get those synopsis's as well.

#20:

"Crisis City, Part 2"! When a powerful ally succumbs to the Metal Virus, Omega and Sonic stand alone against an infected city. And even if they can save the remaining civilians from the zombots, will they be safe from Sonic?

The conclusion of the Crisis City storyline, but not the Metal Virus saga!

T&W #2:

If Tangle and Whisper know they're being led into a trap, the imposter they've been chasing can't get the drop on them, right? Who is this mysterious imposter, why is Whisper so adamant about taking him down, and will Tangle be able to help-or just get in the way? Find out in "Ambush"!

A new mini-series featuring two of the most popular Sonic the Hedgehog characters!
Tangle & Whisper are a classic odd-couple in this adventurous team-up!

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Since the description mentions Sonic and Omega teaming up, I'm guessing both Shadow and Rouge get zomboticized. This is gonna be awesome. I don't get how robots can handle the virus. Omega seems he'll be okay but what is up with...

Hide contents

Gemerl? Issue 17 says it's Sonic vs Gemerl on the next issue. I'm guessing robots CAN get infected. 

Anyway, I'm sorry for Charmy, but it was an heroic act, so it felt even more sad tbh. I was expecting Espio as a zombot.

The description says A powerful ally,which means only one of them. Maybe the one that was spared will have to help Sonic and Omega in some other way

2 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Me thinks it could be a Mimic Octopus.

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

A thought just occurred to me.

Hide contents

Imagine if there was a strain of the Metal Virus in later issues.
That not only turns you metal, but somehow allows you to keep your consciousness.
Like, your sentience and shit.
Maybe a villain can use it, so that not only do they keep their intelligence, but they are also gain the benefits of being a Zombot.
Like, imagine if Starline used that shit.
A teleportating, virtually invincible scientist that can spread the disease even further.
It'd give him something that he could actually do.

That's been my thought since the Bumblekast foreshadowed what happened to the Skunk Bros.

12 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:
  Hide contents

I figured it was Shadow, but I thought he was immune to disease. Wasn't that Geralds point in creating him in the first place? And couldn't he run it off like Sonic can?

Spoiler

Virus's are technically a different matter.

11 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

Hide contents

Sonic and Omega interacting is interesting, given they've almost never done that in any medium up to this point. Shame it's going to focus on their relationships with Shadow likely, but still something new.

I said it before, but it's worth reinforcing what a missed opportunity that was back in his introduction

10 hours ago, Sir Tinstripe said:

One of these three outcomes for this issue needs to happen:

Hide contents

1) Very possible: The whole family is seemingly saved and hug while Sonic moves on to save more people, but the ending shows that one of the two rabbits is still infected.

2) Likely: Vanilla stays behind to save the rest of the family.

3) Most daring but least possible: Cream stays behind to save the rest of the family.

Of course, the most obvious and play-it-safe fourth outcome would be that the entire family is saved. No one is infected. More of a cop out, but the most expected.

Then again, it would be interesting if the family decides to stay infected together than be driven apart by this epidemic/pandemic.

As cruel as it is, this has to be a Lose-Lose situation until the inevitable cure plot happens.

Conisdering this previous issue, I'm definitely gonna stick with 2.

9 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Well, considering SEGA apparently added to this arc...

2 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

We got new covers!

Cover for issue 20!

A shapeshifting octopus, eh? I wonder where this is going....

It also looks like another female, though.

2 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Reveal hidden contents

Barring some unforseen side effects, I think robots are safe since it's a biological virus.

As for Gemerl

Spoiler

it's possible that he'll get into a fight with Sonic trying to keep him away from the Rabbit Family.

49 minutes ago, $hazam said:

Shadow gets the worf effect way to often, hes basically furry vegeta.

Does he?

Eh, either way, that's what you'll sometimes get for being considered strong and especially for being broken.

3 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

We got new covers!

Cover for issue 20!

Good covers But I gotta point out they forgot the add the Tangle & Whisper Logo to T&W #2.

8 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Good covers But I gotta point out they forgot the add the Tangle & Whisper Logo to T&W #2.

No idea how they’d even fit it on there without covering mystery-squid-thing.