Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Maybe it's only because I've read through once right now, but I really enjoyed issue 17. Something about it just really stuck for me making it a pleasure to read. I hope next issue entertains me as much.

Really enjoyed Sonic's refreshing inner turmoil in this issue. Seeing this confident character who strongly values his own freedom have to deal with being a burden on others and facing a threat that steals his sense of self is fascinating.

I gotta say, the writers are especially nailing it with this character. The way he cares for his friends but only wants to spend time with them on his terms, the way he procrastinates on letting Amy know he's OK... it's perfect! It's just a little more genuine exploration of his most interesting traits from the games, but it really rounds him out and makes him feel like a real character. He's like his theme songs from the Adventure games personified, and that's awesome. :D

Just read Issue 17 and my heart is pumping. 

I knew going into this that we were going to lose somebody but I didn't know who it would be. The last person I expected it to be was Charmy though. You've got the two older and mature guys and a small child. The one you pick to turn into the Zombot is the child though.

I was a tad conflicted by the way he got it. On the one hand I do get that he's a kid and the point is that he's too kind-hearted and too ready to throw himself in harm's way to protect people but for my own personal position, I was kind of hoping to see him suffer through losing one of his dads. Also, I feel like most would probably look past his intentions and his age and just use it as a reason to call him stupid and other mean things. 

However, considering what the Metal Virus turns you into, it's supremely dark having it go in on Charmy like that. I appreciate how it's not holding back. 

I really enjoyed the scene where Vector put all the cars around that infected woman. I enjoyed Vector overall here. Dude's a leader and he takes charge by making the right calls. Whether or not they get along, it's clear, especially by the ending panel, that they care deeply about that kid and vice-versa. 

Again, I also have to stress, how perfect Ian would be for the games. This would work even as a game where only Sonic was playable because of how this is structured. 

I wanna gush more about it but I'm not sure what else I can say. They got my favorite bumble boy and it makes me sad. 

Feeling really mixed on this issue and this arc overall. Putting the Chaotix through standard zombie morality drama isn't that interesting for someone who used to consume stuff like this all the time about 5 years ago. The chaotix just feel a tad misplaced here in general. They're fairly lighthearted characters, and while I wouldn't really be against making them the forefront of a serious story just because of that, they become completely capable heroes for most of the issue with none of their quirks shining through. Charmy becomes the idealistic one who gets punished for not following along with Vector's pragmatism. We've all seen that before re: zombies and I'm not really sure it suits charmy and vector all that well either.

The whole thing comes off as a little dull to the point where I couldn't really feel much when Charmy got snatched at the end. I'm not inherently excited by the prospect of Sonic "not holding back" and creating grim situations for the sake of it. This isn't to say I think the series can't have some emotional punch, but it comes off as a little cheap here. They have to be smarter about it than this.

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Like how?

I feel it's pretty good, and it's not as dark as the death of Chao by warmongers.

It's not too dark or anything. I just wasn't into it

One of the things I anticipated the most, and still do to a certain extent as far as the Chaotix are concerned, are indeed situations where their eccentric and light-hearted personalities are thrust into a heavy situation like this. I knew in my heart that it would hit me the absolute most seeing this happen to not only one of them, but Charmy in particular because of how the emotional build up and pay off is more likely to work with someone like him.

Anyone can throw a serious character into a serious story with a serious setting. There's not a ton I find too interesting about that because I expect their reactions to be relatively the same. I tend not to get as excited about that as I do seeing characters like Sonic or the Chaotix thrust into those kinds of situations. When happy-go-lucky, wacky, and excitable characters are shown being happy and having a good time, it naturally hits harder for me when that's disrupted. Allowing the more sincere and genuine parts of their personality to shine through that doesn't fully rely on their quirks helps ensure how much more flexible as characters they can be as well. 

I'm in a much more sorrowful and worried emotional state concerning the comic because of it. That's going to make the payoff of seeing him come back even more cathartic for me.

That's just kind of how it's always been for me though. I do generally prefer my protagonists to be fun and wacky so that when serious and miserable stuff happens to them, I can feel more emotionally attached because I have a desire to see them return to that state. Plus, I find how the story-telling handles the juxtaposition to be more interesting. It might be why I find more interest in Halloween episodes of innocent kid shows going all out with the terror far more engaging than watching regular horror movies where serious adults face the same thing. It might also be why it's hard getting too excited about the appearance of characters like Shadow or Blaze as well. 

Might just be a matter a preference.

StH #20 and Tangle and Whisper #2 solicitations! (No covers yet.)

StH #20

Ian Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Evan Stanley (c)

"Crisis City, Part 2"! When a powerful ally succumbs to the Metal Virus, Omega and Sonic stand alone against an infected city. And even if they can save the remaining civilians from the zombots, will they be safe from Sonic?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Tangle and Whisper #2

Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a & c)

If Tangle and Whisper know they're being led into a trap, the imposter they've been chasing can't get the drop on them, right? Who is this mysterious imposter, why is Whisper so adamant about taking him down, and will Tangle be able to help—or just get in the way? Find out in "Ambush"!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Seems pretty obvious that the "powerful ally" is Shadow.

Ohhoho....

How curious.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

They're fairly lighthearted characters, and while I wouldn't really be against making them the forefront of a serious story just because of that, they become completely capable heroes for most of the issue with none of their quirks shining through.

That is another factor.

A thought just occurred to me.

Spoiler

Imagine if there was a strain of the Metal Virus in later issues.
That not only turns you metal, but somehow allows you to keep your consciousness.
Like, your sentience and shit.
Maybe a villain can use it, so that not only do they keep their intelligence, but they are also gain the benefits of being a Zombot.
Like, imagine if Starline used that shit.
A teleportating, virtually invincible scientist that can spread the disease even further.
It'd give him something that he could actually do.

Sonic and Omega interacting is interesting, given they've almost never done that in any medium up to this point. Shame it's going to focus on their relationships with Shadow likely, but still something new.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:17 AM, Marco9966 said:

New covers:

q0qmw03k1gy21.jpg

One of these three outcomes for this issue needs to happen:

Spoiler

1) Very possible: The whole family is seemingly saved and hug while Sonic moves on to save more people, but the ending shows that one of the two rabbits is still infected.

2) Likely: Vanilla stays behind to save the rest of the family.

3) Most daring but least possible: Cream stays behind to save the rest of the family.

Of course, the most obvious and play-it-safe fourth outcome would be that the entire family is saved. No one is infected. More of a cop out, but the most expected.

Then again, it would be interesting if the family decides to stay infected together than be driven apart by this epidemic/pandemic.

As cruel as it is, this has to be a Lose-Lose situation until the inevitable cure plot happens.

Since the description mentions Sonic and Omega teaming up, I'm guessing both Shadow and Rouge get zomboticized. This is gonna be awesome. I don't get how robots can handle the virus. Omega seems he'll be okay but what is up with...

Spoiler

Gemerl? Issue 17 says it's Sonic vs Gemerl on the next issue. I'm guessing robots CAN get infected. 

Anyway, I'm sorry for Charmy, but it was an heroic act, so it felt even more sad tbh. I was expecting Espio as a zombot.

7 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

There is no way Cream is going to get Robozombofied there has to be a mandate against that somewhere 😂

Well,Charmy was her age yet he wasn't spared...

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

We got new covers!

D7VABSQWwAAOILa?format=jpg&name=large

Cover for issue 20!

D7VABxUWwAE8W6h?format=jpg&name=medium

Cover for Tangle and Whisper #2! That looks like an Octopus or a squid.

E: looking closer thats more of an Octopus.

Gotta get those synopsis's as well.

#20:

"Crisis City, Part 2"! When a powerful ally succumbs to the Metal Virus, Omega and Sonic stand alone against an infected city. And even if they can save the remaining civilians from the zombots, will they be safe from Sonic?

The conclusion of the Crisis City storyline, but not the Metal Virus saga!

T&W #2:

If Tangle and Whisper know they're being led into a trap, the imposter they've been chasing can't get the drop on them, right? Who is this mysterious imposter, why is Whisper so adamant about taking him down, and will Tangle be able to help-or just get in the way? Find out in "Ambush"!

A new mini-series featuring two of the most popular Sonic the Hedgehog characters!
Tangle & Whisper are a classic odd-couple in this adventurous team-up!