Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

There's already a reason for that in the game, come on.

You mean,Tails being an out of character wimp and Blaze absence being justified in a comic,not in the game?

13 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Let Zavok be the one to save Sonic from being a zombot then have him take out Eggman that would more interesting story it would also give a Amy change to think about Sonic again when he's a zombot. 

That kinda seems like it'd be sudden/random.

Plus, given Mr. Flynn actually liked Zavok, I suspect he'd doubly wanna save him and the other Zeti for their own big debut as villains.

11 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Thing is,we should have SEEN her develop(like with Shadow,Tails and Blaze) rather than having her changed out of the blue: see how she got there.

Like this is just a way to overglorify her.

Develop into...?

11 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Why not having Tails or Blaze in charge?

While I do kinda wonder with the former, it's because the latter went home already and has her own shit to attend to.

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

There's already a reason for that in the game, come on.

That too, but I guess they mean here specifically.

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

And usually whenever the characters are on screen together, other parts of their personality are played up so as not to make them too similar.

If not, it usually results in the other character being seen as unnecessary.

That too, I suppose.

5 hours ago, Diogenes said:

. The worth of a character trait like this is in how it's used.

Essentially.

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

The only thing I don't really like about IDW Amy is that I don't think the role of the book keeper suits her. She always lived a comparatively relaxed life compared to some of the other characters but not to this degree. I can see Amy having an organizer role since she has had a way of getting through to people, but the girl was honestly also kind of airheaded and eager to get to the action more often than not so when I see her talking about paperwork and stuff I'm like eeehhhh. Wouldn't she get bored doing that? 

Admittedly most Sonic characters aren't very sharp anyway so I can't really think of someone better than her to take up that role, but I wonder if it's a role that needs filling in the first place.

I don't have a reason to believe Ian completely misreads the character yet just thinking back to issue 2, but I have my nitpicks I guess. I don't mind her reigned in personality traits all that much. The art gets across some of her quirkiness even if it's not really coming through in the dialogue. 

That's sorta how I felt about whatever she was doing in Forces.

Still, as I said, it's essentially something for her to do when she's not involved in an issue and someone's gotta do it.

1 hour ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

You mean,Tails being an out of character wimp and Blaze absence being justified in a comic,not in the game?

Them not being able to find Tails and Blaze just not being there.

If you meant after Metal Sonic, it'd be because Tails is the tech guy not a leader.

Blaze leaving is just convenient.

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hide contents

His desperation to go faster and faster to burn off the infection made me wonder if it was desperation to get it off ASAP to go back, or if the infection was growing stronger, and requiring higher speeds to force back, eventually reaching the point where Sonic has to keep running, or turn. Ideally, I’d hope for a mixture of the two. Multiple infections cannot be helping him, even if he can burn it off.

If it happens, I could absolutely see Tails or Amy turned, especially since I have a theory Eggman will use the Zombots to track the resistance base so he can make that as the final infection area. 

What I think could be really cool is if Eggman wins for a bit, and succeeds in turning the majority of the world. With it no longer safe, Sonic and co takes the survivors to Angel Island to hide while coming up with a plan down below. Let’s Knuckles get into the story and allows the possibility of Super Sonic if need be, which could be what burns the zombot virus off Sonic altogether.

Ooooooh, good point!

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I’d love to see the Metal Virus in the Human World as a sort of climax. 

Not entirely sure how that's gonna work, but eh.

13 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Everyone has to do paperwork eventually, that's just life. Just like being seen reading a book isn't inherently indicative of any kind of personality or behaviour, every once in a while you need information that's written in a book, that's just life. No job requires you doing that exact job 100% of the time, that's just simply not how it works. 

Addendum: Heck, I'll play by your rules. You consider Amy to be the real resistance leader, right? Well a resistance leader that never manages inventory or personal would result in a fairly crap resistance. Reading a book down the line seems like a very real necessity if it has either sets of those information. In attempt to complain about Amy not fighting all the time, you've inadvertently created an issue that would in fact make Amy objectively a worse character (because it would mean that she was someone who never did the bare essentials of maintaining a resistance movement), which is something you yourself obviously don't want.

People in real life eventually do paperwork but not people in game life. Amy isn't just seen reading a book she is often counting or reading books and box's even leaving Sonic's side to do just that.

Those aren't my rules I don't consider Amy to be the real resistance leader I call that a excuse so she will have less time to think or spend with Sonic giving people the illusion of maturity this feels more like a job for a original character. I would like to see Amy madly in love with Sonic to the point where you can see it in her actions and words so far this comic and Team Sonic Racing have removed her crush on Sonic about 90% from where it use to be.

I've been really detached from this comic, but fortunately the latest issue finally gets me that little bit more invested.  

I seriously hope Ian uses the momentum he's built up with giving major characters a taste of the plague.  Ryan's right, having Tails, Amy, or even Knuckles get hit would properly raise the stakes.  For now though it's looking like a pecking off of tertiary characters.  Another detail I enjoyed is how little Sonic is in this, yet his time is so well spent, particularly in terms of character development.  The added bonus is that we get the Chaotix playing first fiddle here.

Really I'm surprised at how this really turned my head and the next one sounds like it'll be continuing the trend.  I've sort of missed Cream and her killer robot brother/pet.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Ooooooh, good point!

Not entirely sure how that's gonna work, but eh.

Some of the zombots would wander over through that portal to get to Spagonia or something, forcing Sonic to follow.

42 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Those aren't my rules I don't consider Amy to be the real resistance leader I call that a excuse so she will have less time to think or spend with Sonic giving people the illusion of maturity this feels more like a job for a original character.

Eeeh, that's not unreasonable a thought.

48 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Some of the zombots would wander over through that portal to get to Spagonia or something, forcing Sonic to follow.

I guess that'd the be the most straightforward to do it.

It's really a matter of whether SEGA wants them crossing that bridge.

17 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Let Zavok be the one to save Sonic from being a zombot then have him take out Eggman that would more interesting story it would also give a Amy change to think about Sonic again when he's a zombot.

Why would Zavok care?

17 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I was talking about these box's. But why Amy and not Tails if anything Amy not wanting to do this makes it worst and when Eggman gets stomped to the ground what is she going to do in the future paper work?

RCO016.jpg

1. Even if Tails was in charge of the Restoration, he would still have to put aside certain jobs once he has to take priority to built something, such as a cure for the Metal Virus.

2. She's organizing supplies to be send to aid people which will be a big help and because Knuckles can't write with his big, giant mitten gloves.

(Real Talk: Have we ever seen Knuckles try to write something in any media?)

3. If Amy wasn't in charge of the Restoration, we wouldn't have seen her at all throughout the last issues she appeared in.

4. Just because Amy is doing something different from admiring Sonic, doesn't suddenly mean she doesn't care about him anymore.

5. Ladies & Gentlemen, if doing paperwork makes you a bookkeeper, I guess everyone reading this comic is now a librarian.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

9 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I just don't think this is fundamentally true. What about her protecting Sonic from Silver in '06? She's not malicious, she's not uncaring, she's just not going to let some dude kill a person she cares about because he thinks he's responsible for something bad, and while you might debate her reasoning, she's ultimately doing the right thing. The worth of a character trait like this is in how it's used.

Sure, she protected him when he needed it most, but he was so much the center of her universe that she basically failed to cross a character threshold than even Elise, one of the worst written characters in the series, mustered up the fortitude to do. In sacrificing her memories of Sonic, she was able to accomplish the greater good. Amy tells Silver that if it came down to the World and Sonic, she would choose Sonic.

That's a LOADED statement right there. That wasn't a "I've got your back" kind of statement. If it came down to it, Amy would lack the strength of character to do what is right. Her attachment at the hip to Sonic prevents her from being capable of showing the compassion necessary to make sacrifice when it comes to Sonic. That is a self-serving mentality to have as a Hero and bucks the idea of compassion right out the window.

9 hours ago, Diogenes said:

If a "core value" of Amy is being unflinchingly nice to everyone I'd sacrifice the whole damn character because, again, I find that boring. But I'm not saying they should completely do away with important parts of the characters, but that characters being multifaceted, with objectives and goals that ebb and flow and conflict with each other, is what makes them interesting. Amy generally being a nice person but having a blind spot for others when she's focused on Sonic is interesting, it's an opportunity for conflict and tension. Likewise Sonic being heroic but also impulsive and competitive opens up the possibility of him getting caught up in a rivalry when there's bigger things at stake, and that's more interesting than if he always makes the morally and logically correct choice.

Who said anything about unflinchingly nice? You can showcase ebb, flow and conflict without stepping into out of bounds areas. You can generate friction between characters without ignoring their basic characteristics.

35 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Why would Zavok care?

Uh, have you seen/played much of Team Sonic Racing?

Cause if not, then I honestly don't know.

37 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

2. She's organizing supplies to be send to aid people which will be a big help and because Knuckles can't write with his big, giant mitten gloves.

His Archie comic had a flashback. 

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sure, she protected him when he needed it most, but he was so much the center of her universe that she basically failed to cross a character threshold than even Elise, one of the worst written characters in the series, mustered up the fortitude to do. In sacrificing her memories of Sonic, she was able to accomplish the greater good. Amy tells Silver that if it came down to the World and Sonic, she would choose Sonic.

That's a LOADED statement right there. That wasn't a "I've got your back" kind of statement. If it came down to it, Amy would lack the strength of character to do what is right. Her attachment at the hip to Sonic prevents her from being capable of showing the compassion necessary to make sacrifice when it comes to Sonic. That is a self-serving mentality to have as a Hero and bucks the idea of compassion right out the window.

"I wouldn't stand by and allow the person I love to be killed, even for the greater good" is pretty fucking far from throwing compassion out the window and is, in fact, the driving sentiment behind a lot of stories where heroes fight for a way to save everyone. Even if you can only see it as a flaw, it's one I couldn't imagine blaming a character for having. You said before that you didn't expect her to be a saint, but is this not exactly that?

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Who said anything about unflinchingly nice? You can showcase ebb, flow and conflict without stepping into out of bounds areas. You can generate friction between characters without ignoring their basic characteristics.

And yet you expect her to accept Sonic being killed. Who is it here that's throwing out basic character traits, exactly? Honestly at this point your idea of the kind of character Amy should be has gone from boring to outright terrible.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

In Boom...when he was Mayor he drew good art, he might be able to write...when he learns how to read.

Speaking of that scene from 06, a lot of people probably wouldn't have a problem with that Amy scene anymore, including me, if the idea of finding "another way" had been brought up by her or given a clearer focus. It's actually pretty easy to dismantle Silver's line of thinking because he was doing a lot of things an idiot would do. Do that instead of just saying I'd choose Sonic over the world which, honestly does sound a little scary. When I hear something like that, my mind can't help but wonder if that means that her other friends like Cream, Cheese, Tails, and even that little birdie she worked so hard to save in Adventure don't mean all that much to her. What about how Sonic feels? Does she care about that? He definitely wouldn't choose himself over the world. 

I certainly understand what they were going for though. I actually don't have a problem with the "choosing a person you love over the greater good" troupe. I just kind of wish 06 had maybe explored the idea a little better if they were going to bring it up at all. In the next scene Silver asks Blaze if it's alright to kill someone to save the world and Blaze, in her ultimate wisdom, is just like "I dunno. But let's do it because we've only got one shot" and they go do it. Silver doesn't even really stop because he turns to Amy's side of thinking. He just finds out that it wasn't Sonic trying to release the flames of disaster, but Eggman. 

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

"I wouldn't stand by and allow the person I love to be killed, even for the greater good" is pretty fucking far from throwing compassion out the window and is, in fact, the driving sentiment behind a lot of stories where heroes fight for a way to save everyone. Even if you can only see it as a flaw, it's one I couldn't imagine blaming a character for having. You said before that you didn't expect her to be a saint, but is this not exactly that?

And yet you expect her to accept Sonic being killed. Who is it here that's throwing out basic character traits, exactly? Honestly at this point your idea of the kind of character Amy should be has gone from boring to outright terrible.

I never said she should let Sonic die. Not even close to that. Where did that even come from?

What I said is I'm not about to give Amy brownie points for showing compassion to Sonic, when the entire point of her biggest problem is that she is a problem when she is too focused on him. Of course she should save him from Silver, that's a situation you would expect from a hero. But in that same light, lets also not forget that she gets shown up by Elise at the end of the story, whom is capable of putting her feelings to the side and make the hard choice. Amy, by her own admission, isn't capable of putting her feelings aside when it comes to sonic, even if doing so would prevent the oncoming apocalypse. Amy's so wound up in her own infatuation that she can't put anything else ahead of it. Not even the fate of the world. Thats a problem.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

He definitely wouldn't choose himself over the world. 

Amy's not the one who bluntly said "I don't care what happens to the world!!"

With "3" exclamation marks.

You can at least give Amy Rose the Hedgehog credit for that?

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Amy's not the one who bluntly said "I don't care what happens to the world!!"

With "3" exclamation marks.

You can at least give Amy Rose the Hedgehog credit for that?

Sure but I wasn't comparing her to Princess Elise so I'm not sure why that's relevant.

Elise is terrible though. For reasons other than what she said there. I honestly didn't care at all when she said that. A lot of people got angry about it but I just saw it as her saying things because she was sad. I might have also not have gotten mad because I don't care about Elise so her opinions on stuff didn't matter. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

The comparison was made automatically due to that scene existing, they're pretty similar.

It's fine.

23 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

In Boom...when he was Mayor he drew good art, he might be able to write...when he learns how to read.

Well, in Boom he didn't have giant, boxing mittens for gloves...

As someone who is positively neutral to okay when it comes to Amy, I can say that some of the debate with her characterization seems to zigzag regarding whether it's a matter of how her traits are expressed to whether she looks bad to fans at all.

There's some merit that can be placed in either or both, but it's easy to conflagrate one into the other.

16 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Speaking of that scene from 06, a lot of people probably wouldn't have a problem with that Amy scene anymore, including me, if the idea of finding "another way" had been brought up by her or given a clearer focus. It's actually pretty easy to dismantle Silver's line of thinking because he was doing a lot of things an idiot would do. Do that instead of just saying I'd choose Sonic over the world which, honestly does sound a little scary. When I hear something like that, my mind can't help but wonder if that means that her other friends like Cream, Cheese, Tails, and even that little birdie she worked so hard to save in Adventure don't mean all that much to her. What about how Sonic feels? Does she care about that? He definitely wouldn't choose himself over the world. 

I certainly understand what they were going for though. I actually don't have a problem with the "choosing a person you love over the greater good" troupe. I just kind of wish 06 had maybe explored the idea a little better if they were going to bring it up at all. In the next scene Silver asks Blaze if it's alright to kill someone to save the world and Blaze, in her ultimate wisdom, is just like "I dunno. But let's do it because we've only got one shot" and they go do it. Silver doesn't even really stop because he turns to Amy's side of thinking. He just finds out that it wasn't Sonic trying to release the flames of disaster, but Eggman. 

Silver's story in general could've done with more exploration of the conflict and comparing of notes regarding what actually happens. (Which reminds me that I've been dilly-dallying.)

Was Eggman actively trying to release it though? 

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I never said she should let Sonic die. Not even close to that. Where did that even come from?

...what the hell else could you be saying? You berate her for not having the strength to do what's "right", referring to her choosing Sonic over the world. If you're saying she should be choosing the world, you're saying she should be choosing to let Sonic die.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

But in that same light, lets also not forget that she gets shown up by Elise at the end of the story, whom is capable of putting her feelings to the side and make the hard choice.

Yeah she gets "shown up" by someone who's known Sonic for a couple of days sacrificing the memories of those few days with him to prevent an apocalypse that's already come to pass with the encouragement of Sonic himself. Compared to Amy saying she's not willing to let Sonic, the person she loves more than anyone, be actually killed to avert an apocalypse that (from her perspective) hadn't happened yet and may have nothing to do with him. It's not really a 1-to-1 situation.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Amy, by her own admission, isn't capable of putting her feelings aside when it comes to sonic, even if doing so would prevent the oncoming apocalypse. Amy's so wound up in her own infatuation that she can't put anything else ahead of it. Not even the fate of the world. Thats a problem.

Again, not really, because that's the point where the hero fights to save everyone. Also again, I like my characters with flaws, and I don't need them to always make the "right" choice.

Was Eggman actively trying to release it though? 

I don't know. Maybe. Was he planning on hooking her body up to machine to draw the power from her? Was he hoping to rub her belly like a magic lamp so that Iblis would give him the power to rule over time?

I assume he was just trying to release the creature so that he'd have control over it because that's what he do. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't know. Maybe. Was he planning on hooking her body up to machine to draw the power from her? Was he hoping to rub her belly like a magic lamp so that Iblis would give him the power to rule over time?

I assume he was just trying to release the creature so that he'd have control over it because that's what he do. 

Uh, I suppose.

Like, I can't say I ever really imagined him getting far, but with Elise's suicide attempt translating fuck you, I just generally got the idea of him having her there so he can harness the Flames's power into time travel somehow.

Which raises some questions, now that I think about it. Dammit.

Uh, I suppose.

Like, I can't say I ever really imagined him getting far, but with Elise's suicide attempt translating fuck you, I just generally got the idea of him having her there so he can harness the Flames's power into time travel somehow.

Which raises some questions, now that I think about it. Dammit.

06 is written like shit. Having a debate about its ideas and the intention behind the character's actions is almost futile because of how bad and inconsistent with its own narrative it is. 

What anyone makes of the Amy scene or the Eggman plan is up to them as far as I'm concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1

06 is written like shit. Having a debate about its ideas and the intention behind the character's actions is almost futile because of how bad and inconsistent with its own narrative it is. 

You know, people say that and I generally disagree with attempts to copout and ,heh, write off things like that.

But Eggman's plan is legit something I never put any thought into and now that I have, it's like "well...."

What anyone makes of the Amy scene or the Eggman plan is up to them as far as I'm concerned.

To be fair, one is clearer to get any grasp on than the other.