Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

You know, people say that and I generally disagree with attempts to copout and ,heh, write off things like that.

But Eggman's plan is legit something I never put any thought into and now that I have, it's like "well...."

To be fair, one is clearer to get any grasp on than the other.

Cop out of what? I thought you were just asking a question because you weren't sure how something worked. 

Plus, if you don't have any respect for the narrative you're talking about its perfectly fine should anyone not give a shit when it comes to figuring out what its deal is. 

And apparently its not clear to get a grasp on seeing as how these are two things that are currently being questioned.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Cop out of what? I thought you were just asking a question because you weren't sure how something worked. 

Basically, some people are apt to handwave or outright shoot down addressing a problem and how it can be fixed. Which if they simply aren't interested in doing so is perfectly fine, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to expect that from those who are. 

That wasn't aimed at you or anything, just a thought.

43 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...what the hell else could you be saying? You berate her for not having the strength to do what's "right", referring to her choosing Sonic over the world. If you're saying she should be choosing the world, you're saying she should be choosing to let Sonic die.

Yeah she gets "shown up" by someone who's known Sonic for a couple of days sacrificing the memories of those few days with him to prevent an apocalypse that's already come to pass with the encouragement of Sonic himself. Compared to Amy saying she's not willing to let Sonic, the person she loves more than anyone, be actually killed to avert an apocalypse that (from her perspective) hadn't happened yet and may have nothing to do with him. It's not really a 1-to-1 situation.

Foreshadowing is a thing and Amy clearly laid it on thick that if she was put in Elise's shoes, she would not be capable of getting the job done.

43 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Again, not really, because that's the point where the hero fights to save everyone. Also again, I like my characters with flaws, and I don't need them to always make the "right" choice.

Blowing out Solaris was a "save everyone" move. Everyone lives and the future is saved.

How'd we get on Elise and crazy bitches anyway?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Plus, if you don't have any respect for the narrative you're talking about its perfectly fine should anyone not give a shit when it comes to figuring out what its deal is. 

And apparently its not clear to get a grasp on seeing as how these are two things that are currently being questioned.

I getcha.

The Amy and Elise declaration is obviously supposed to be blind idealism and/or love or whatever wanting to win out over doom and gloom, but given both the context and how unnecessarily messy that can be with fanbases, it can not go over well.

Of course, I didn't touch it specifically before now because I'm not really interested in talking about it, right now at least.

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Foreshadowing is a thing and Amy clearly laid it on thick that if she was put in Elise's shoes, she would not be capable of getting the job done.

Too bad that foreshadowing didn't come from the character who actually had to make the choice.

It would've ended the same either way, but making it the other character who's in wild dreams with Sonic is pretty lame.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Basically, some people are apt to handwave or outright shoot down addressing a problem and how it can be fixed. Which if they simply aren't interested in doing so is perfectly fine, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to expect that from those who are. 

That wasn't aimed at you or anything, just a thought.

Okay? Seems like a bit of a random thing to bring up. Someone's going to asssume you're talking about them when you do that.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Too bad that foreshadowing didn't come from the character who actually had to make the choice.

It would've ended the same either way, but making it the other character who's in wild dreams with Sonic is pretty lame.

It doesn't matter if she had to make the choice or not. She made her intentions VERY clear.

"Even if that were true, if I had to choose between the world and Sonic, I would choose Sonic".

Even if Sonic was responsible for the destruction of the universe - Amy would still choose him.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Okay? Seems like a bit of a random thing to bring up. Someone's going to asssume you're talking about them when you do that.

I mean, there was at least one case of that here, but noted.

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It doesn't matter...

It really does though, because that would clear up the distinction between Sonic potentially dooming the world and Sonic being related to the destruction of the world by proxy.

She would totally do it though.

We don't know for sure if she wouldn't because she was never actually tested on it. Considering Elise almost didn't go through with it when she was right there about to make a decision I don't see reason to think Amy wouldn't do likewise. I mean if you want to talk foreshadowing I'd say the game sets them up as parallels rather than contrasting them, with that part where Amy talks about them both being in love with someone (who is actually the same person) and them being the two choices for that meaningless test of love or whatever it was called.

Blowing out Solaris was a "save everyone" move. Everyone lives and the future is saved.

You can't frame it as both a noble sacrifice so you can use it to dunk on Amy and a "happy ending, everyone is saved" move. My point is that sometimes a hero's got the right to be greedy and to fight for a solution that doesn't require a sacrifice.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

It really does though, because that would clear up the distinction between Sonic potentially dooming the world and Sonic being related to the destruction of the world by proxy.

She would totally do it though.

But Amy's statement implies that the distinction doesn't matter. She already said she didn't believe Sonic would ever willingly destroy someones world and even if he did do it, it wouldn't change her mind. 

In any situation, she had made up her mind to side with Sonic. Be it proxy or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

We don't know for sure if she wouldn't because she was never actually tested on it. Considering Elise almost didn't go through with it when she was right there about to make a decision I don't see reason to think Amy wouldn't do likewise. I mean if you want to talk foreshadowing I'd say the game sets them up as parallels rather than contrasting them, with that part where Amy talks about them both being in love with someone (who is actually the same person) and them being the two choices for that meaningless test of love or whatever it was called.

Weren't you just railing on Elise for only knowing Sonic for 5 min, and now she's a parallel to Amy?

Either way, I'm willing to take Amy's words at face value because she has that kind of stubborn conviction when it comes to Sonic. Would anyone really question that?

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

You can't frame it as both a noble sacrifice so you can use it to dunk on Amy and a "happy ending, everyone is saved" move. My point is that sometimes a hero's got the right to be greedy and to fight for a solution that doesn't require a sacrifice.

Its a solution that erases mass extinction and resets the original status quo. Its as close to a clean total victory as your going to get. Elise had to let go of something she cherished to do it, and she struggled to do it, but I don't see why it can't be considered a sacrifice and a happy ending.

I mean, I certainly hope Amy wouldn't actually sacrifice the world for Sonic. Saying it is one thing but actually doing it...

The world is the thing that Sonic risks his life to protect all the time. It dying so that his life could be spared because of Amy sounds like a horrific, ironic twist of fate. "Yeah, sorry Cream, Cheese, Tails, little Birdie, but Sonic's just more important than you and the world. Turns out I didn't actually fall in love with Sonic because of his noble heroism and his desire to live in a peaceful world free of tyranny and sadness. I just like Sonic just because."

I'm not even going into how confusing it would be for Sonic to live but the world he lives on to die. Does she think he'll be okay living on a lava ridden wasteland where there's no life around to associate with, not even his best friend Tails? 

I know it sounds like I'm shitting on the very idea of Amy's desire here but not really. I'm just pointing out that the writing for that scene is terrible and doesn't present it properly.

I don't have a problem with the "No, I refuse to believe it. I'm not going to let you kill him. There's got to be another way and we're going to find it no matter what." position but the game never proposes that. I really wish it did. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Weren't you just railing on Elise for only knowing Sonic for 5 min, and now she's a parallel to Amy?

The relationships they have with Sonic and the particular circumstances of their "decisions" are different, so I'd argue the sacrifices they'd be making are not the same. But if you're going to insist that Amy's words are foreshadowing Elise's situation at the end of the game, then I am going to argue that the mindset those decisions are made in are largely the same; both love Sonic, both say they'd choose him over the world, but when one is forced to actually act, she chooses the world. The love test gives you a choice between the two, but it doesn't judge you for which one you pick. Both choices are right.

Either way, I'm willing to take Amy's words at face value because she has that kind of stubborn conviction when it comes to Sonic. Would anyone really question that?

I can easily imagine, if Amy was in the same situation Elise was, and there was genuinely no other option, that she would choose the world. But they'd never write that story because they'd never upend major characters like that.

Its a solution that erases mass extinction and resets the original status quo. Its as close to a clean total victory as your going to get. Elise had to let go of something she cherished to do it, and she struggled to do it, but I don't see why it can't be considered a sacrifice and a happy ending.

I'm saying it was a sacrifice, and a bittersweet ending because of it. I'm also saying that that isn't the only valid ending to a story where a character is meant to make a hard choice; Amy's refusal to make a sacrifice wouldn't doom her to making the wrong choice, they'd just write a story where she finds a third way that doesn't require a sacrifice.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Why would Zavok care?

1. Even if Tails was in charge of the Restoration, he would still have to put aside certain jobs once he has to take priority to built something, such as a cure for the Metal Virus.

2. She's organizing supplies to be send to aid people which will be a big help and because Knuckles can't write with his big, giant mitten gloves.

(Real Talk: Have we ever seen Knuckles try to write something in any media?)

3. If Amy wasn't in charge of the Restoration, we wouldn't have seen her at all throughout the last issues she appeared in.

4. Just because Amy is doing something different from admiring Sonic, doesn't suddenly mean she doesn't care about him anymore.

5. Ladies & Gentlemen, if doing paperwork makes you a bookkeeper, I guess everyone reading this comic is now a librarian.

Zavok hates Eggman.

1. If Tails was in charge he can give out different task to others making it easier to build and find a cure.

2. Knuckles can write what is there saying he can't and don't they have someone else to take on some of these jobs.

3. What does Amy being in charge of the Restoration have to do with her being there or not? Otherwise she would be looking for Sonic and that's how Amy would get there like she does in most games. 

4. I didn't say she didn't love him but now she hardly flirts or blows kisses at Sonic anymore now there is no more admiring of Sonic at all, none, zip, nada just "I got to get back to work".

5. Yeah, because everyone reading this had mad crushes on a boy/girl but then just dropped it to read all the batman comics.

Thank you very much ladies & gentlemen. 

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

5. Yeah, because everyone reading this had mad crushes on a boy/girl but then just drop it to read all the batman comics. 

You mean...you wouldn't do that?

No one would judge.

Amy doesn't do any lovey-dovey stuff in Team Sonic Racing either. 

I mean I guess it's the expected response to everyone saying they hated her for doing it for so long. I kind of wish they balanced it out a bit. Issue 2 of these IDW comics is seriously my favorite portrayal of the character ever because of that. It single handedly made me like her more. 

I never hated her but she's not among my top favorites. I could always do with more reasons to like her more.

35 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Zavok hates Eggman.

He hates Sonic too.

Why he does is a little iffy, but still. He's essentially a third/fourth side in the series conflicts.

2. Knuckles can write what is there saying he can't and don't they have someone else to take on some of these jobs.

I guess the fact that he's never really had to.

5. Yeah, because everyone reading this had mad crushes on a boy/girl but then just dropped it to read all the batman comics.

You're probably hittin close to home for someone out there, hon.

Just now, Fire-N-Space said:

Zavok hates Eggman.

If that's the case, why did he try still try to kill Sonic after Sonic freed them from Eggman's control in Lost World?

Seriously, why would he care?

Another question, is the Lost Hex like Angel Island and is constantly moving? Or is it like Little Planet?

4 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

1. If Tails was in charge he can give out different task to others making it easier to build and find a cure.  

Yep, someone like Amy.

5 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

3. What does Amy being in charge of the Restoration have to do with her being there or not? Otherwise she would be looking for Sonic and that's how Amy would get there like she does in most games.

If (insert character's name) replaced Amy & Amy just left the Restoration, then:

1. Sonic would have someone else with him when he gets Metal Virus

2. He would have to constantly move to keep the Virus from spreading and progressing faster, meaning he can't stop anywhere for too long, and Amy would have a harder time trying to catch up

3. If Amy decides to follow Sonic, it wouldn't be wise because 

3a) Sonic can't touch her

3b) any grass Sonic runs across would get infected and spread. Roads and sidewalks don't exist everywhere.

3c) when he's not running to save himself, he's running and fighting against Zombots, so following him would only led to her getting running into them, and unfortunately, she can't do anything against them

So, from what I understand you not only want to see less of Amy, but you want her to put herself in harm's way because that's what Amy does best?

23 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

4. I didn't say she didn't love him but now she hardly flirts or blows kisses at Sonic anymore now there is no more admiring of Sonic at all, none, zip, nada just "I got to get back to work".

1. There's a time and place for everything.

2. If this issue cut away from Team Chaotix to show Amy thinking about Sonic and then cut back, it wouldn't make a lot of sense and be really sucky for fans of Team Chaotix get an issue about their favorite characters only to lose a section to Amy for no reason.

36 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

5. Yeah, because everyone reading this had mad crushes on a boy/girl but then just drop it to read all the batman comics.  

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Man, Amy's character has gone downhill since she started working at YU2-Mart.

34 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Amy doesn't do any lovey-dovey stuff in Team Sonic Racing either. 

Yeah, I noticed that.

It was kinda odd actualy.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean I guess it's the expected response to everyone saying they hated her for doing it for so long.

True dat.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I never hated her but she's not among my top favorites. 

That's practically where I've been, honestly.

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

If that's the case, why did he try still try to kill Sonic after Sonic freed them from Eggman's control in Lost World?

To be fair there, I don't think he was really thinking about Sonic and Tails at that point. They just happened to be in the line of fire.

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:

Another question, is the Lost Hex like Angel Island and is constantly moving? Or is it like Little Planet?

Eh, it's in the clouds. I don't think it really matters.

3 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

If (insert character's name) replaced Amy & Amy just left the Restoration, then:

Oh yeah, Amy was only with him because Silver got bombed, wasn't she?

13 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Yep, someone like Amy.

Amy wouldn't know where to start as she can't build machines like Tails and with no machine there's less change to find a cure.

18 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

2. He would have to constantly move to keep the Virus from spreading and progressing faster, meaning he can't stop anywhere for too long, and Amy would have a harder time trying to catch up

3. If Amy decides to follow Sonic, it wouldn't be wise because 

3a) Sonic can't touch her

3b) any grass Sonic runs across would get infected and spread. Roads and sidewalks don't exist everywhere.

3c) when he's not running to save himself, he's running and fighting against Zombots, so following him would only led to her getting running into them, and unfortunately, she can't do anything against them

1. Amy was there when Sonic got the Metal Virus.

2. Amy can still worry and not be head deep in work.

3. She won't follow him 24/7.

3b. That's bad for everyone not just Amy.

27 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So, from what I understand you not only want to see less of Amy, but you want her to put herself in harm's way because that's what Amy does best?

1. There's a time and place for everything.

2. If this issue cut away from Team Chaotix to show Amy thinking about Sonic and then cut back, it wouldn't make a lot of sense and be really sucky for fans of Team Chaotix get an issue about their favorite characters only to lose a section to Amy for no reason.

Don't put words in my mouth I want to see Amy love Sonic more, every hero in this game puts themselves in harms way to saves lives.

1. This must be code for hide Amy's romantic feelings toward Sonic away from gamers for as long as possible.

2. But it still cuts to Amy when Vector calls Amy for backup.

58 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

1. This must be code for hide Amy's romantic feelings toward Sonic away from gamers for as long as possible.

No one thinks about one person day in and day out. Sometimes, you need to get things done. Sometimes, you need to save the world and everyone on it.

Amy loves Sonic. Amy also has her own personal hobbies and interests, and wants to save the world like everyone else. Leading a restoration effort is saving the world. When dealing with a zombie apocalypse in all but name, saving the world is a priority. There is no time to obsess over Sonic.

Once the world is at peace, and the restoration effort is done, Amy is free to do as she pleases.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Well Tails had a Nervous Breakdown and Blaze wasn't even aware anything was happening.

Exept that even at the beginning of the game Tails had this so called "breakdown" since he was just covering in fear instead of fighting and protecting the civilians when Sonic was fine and just stood there as his best friend was beaten to a pulp and captured. He wasn't even escorting the others to safety: he was just watching

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy wouldn't know where to start as she can't build machines like Tails and with no machine there's less change to find a cure.

She can start by organizing some inventory of available tools and doing paperwork to order the parts he might need.

2. Amy can still worry and not be head deep in work.

She's not head deep in work.

She's not even ankle deep in work.

There's literally 6 papers on the desk and a map.

WOMAN UP, AMY

3. She won't follow him 24/7.

Of course not, she still has to boxercise, buy some tarot cards, and practice that invisibility spell.

Don't put words in my mouth

I don't have Alphabet Soup. They aren't available at YQ2-Mart.

every hero in this game puts themselves in harms way to saves lives.

Sonic Outbreak

Coming 2020

• Chuckle 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

So here's some raw cover art of issue 17 and 20, both drawn by Jack Lawrence

D7XA56vXsAAio1h?format=jpg&name=900x900

D7XA56wW0AI-8F6?format=jpg&name=900x900

And Diana Skelly posted some concepts of her issue 15 cover!

D7Wh4L8W4AAXyb2?format=jpg&name=large

D7WjrXyXsAAdSRP?format=jpg&name=large

"I interpreted the issue's premise to be about Sonic's fear of becoming like his doppelgänger, Metal Sonic. Though, the shadow was changed later to line up with the plot developments in following issues."

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Exept that even at the beginning of the game Tails had this so called "breakdown" since he was just covering in fear instead of fighting and protecting the civilians when Sonic was fine and just stood there as his best friend was beaten to a pulp and captured. He wasn't even escorting the others to safety: he was just watching

To be fair, it looked like they had just been corned. And he does get them through the ally while Sonic is talking to Eggman. 

4 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

So here's some raw cover art of issue 17 and 20, both drawn by Jack Lawrence

D7XA56vXsAAio1h?format=jpg&name=900x900

D7XA56wW0AI-8F6?format=jpg&name=900x900

And Diana Skelly posted some concepts of her issue 15 cover!

D7Wh4L8W4AAXyb2?format=jpg&name=large

D7WjrXyXsAAdSRP?format=jpg&name=large

"I interpreted the issue's premise to be about Sonic's fear of becoming like his doppelgänger, Metal Sonic. Though, the shadow was changed later to line up with the plot developments in following issues."

Wait, issue 8?