Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

49 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

People think this? That's a hilariously bold assumption for a number of reasons, one in particular though.

I was surprised to here that as well. Unfortunately, it's been proven to be the type of thing that "makes sense."

6 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

That's were the similarities end tho, same said for Wisper.

If anything it's Amy whose the closest thing to Sally, but without being too similar.

Similarity? That's was the difference.

7 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

That's were the similarities end tho, same said for Wisper.

If anything it's Amy whose the closest thing to Sally, but without being too similar.

Wait, why Whisper?

On 6/10/2019 at 2:29 PM, DabigRG said:

Wait, why Whisper?

Nah I just said that in case their were people trying to think Whisper was a Sally replacement too

23 minutes ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Nah I just said that in case their were people trying to think Whisper was a Sally replacement too

Ah, okay. 

Cause there's literally no correlation there.

13 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The character was revealed as Tingle the Lemur, 

If you insist...

2132068148_TingletheLemur.png.95552fe487f301f8e7464abb32cef579.png

• Chuckle 1

On 6/9/2019 at 10:05 PM, Heckboy said:

It's not Sega, at least not entirely. Read Ian's other books, like that Cosmo thing that lasted for five whole issues. He's written some good stuff, but his writing can be pretty mediocre. I really just think he's burnt out after 13 years of writing the same fucking series.

They need a new writer or co-writer. The mandates excuse really is bullshit when you realize other writers have done more with the characters in spite of these guidelines, the most recent example being the stories in the annual. You can have so many varied and fun stories with these characters that are totally in compliance with the mandates, but for some reason - either because of Ian or his editors or whatever - we get stuck with boring, decompressed-as-fuck arcs that just spin their wheels for a year until the rushed climax.

Ok so like. I don't think the annual is that spectacular of an example and not even in the same context. All the characters are written the same, actually written in an isolated context for the first time,  or new. The only difference is the scenario's, but odds are IDW and Sega want this to be an action oriented comics centered around video game stuff. Which is why the books are written the way that they are.

Ontop of that, I think the suggestion that he's burnt out is uh... laughable... to say the least. Not only does this man continue to show genuinely respect and enthusiasm for this series he continues to enjoy. But he's coming up with new ideas, how can you say that' he is burn out and this year's narrative is a zombie apocalypse story using what was an Easter egg in one game.

All that said though , I wouldn't mind if flynn wasn't the sole or " main writer " on this. while I don't think he's burnt out by anymeans, he is a man and has flaws. Some of which if you are familiar with his writing as much as some of us are (We will get back to this in a moment )  they shine through. One example being he's sort of obsessed with dynamic's and characterizations that aren't particularly interesting. I mentioned above, in another statement reminded by the cool poster @Rosaleia  tail's is written strangely. To be fair to flynn, sega been doing that too, but I honestly think within the confines of the character you could have had one who questioned sonic's descions about logistics and stuff. But he really likes that brother dynamic.... so nope.

Another example being lack of consequences. Obviously sonic is a series where you can move past... alot. However, Just want to remind you, the lesson of this year is either going to be " Damn sonic you should have let shadow murder someone "  or quickly move past this and never address the fact that rouge and sonic should have let shadow, murder someone. Now there are ways to avoid this, one savy way in particular, but I have no confidence that he will do so because of aforementioned " Obsession with uninteresting dynamics" and he wants to put shadow in an adversarial position even when it isn't warranted.  Someone else probably would have went " Oh yeah maybe not write the story about the morality of murder where sonic's decision will be instantaneously questioned in a way that makes him seem hella wrong in like a year " . " Maybe having a moral discussion of this magnitude on a yearly reset book isn't the appropriate place for this.

So you know, I can appreciate having other writers to combat that. Yeah aforementioned " Writers with hot takes on my favorite characters" however, I'm willing to take that risk.  To avoid Ian Flynns flaws.

But here's the thing, most people aren't familiar with those flaws yet, or havent been around enough to make a judgement call on if they even think they are flaws. The book sells regularly 2 to 3 out of stock, and several times more than the previous book. This game focused yearly reset approach seems to be what is hot in the streets.  So I would imagine those with vested interests in such things like sega and IDW would like his to continue

I would also like to point out using Cosmo as an example is ridiculous. It had sales troubles because it's an incredibly obscure book and Archie is not exactly the best at running a business.

Honestly it's not surprising Cosmo crashed because the sad reality is if Flynn's not writing Sonic nobody really seems to care. Which sucks because while I enjoy his Sonic work I'd put Mega Man, New Crusaders and his TMNT contributions well above it. Hell his short Superman story was also not too shabby.

So I'll agree with Heckboy on one thing in his post Sonic isn't Ian's best work. I still think it's good but if you don't believe he's bogged down by mandates check out literally anything else he's done.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I would also like to point out using Cosmo as an example is ridiculous. It had sales troubles because it's an incredibly obscure book and Archie is not exactly the best at running a business.

Honestly it's not surprising Cosmo crashed because the sad reality is if Flynn's not writing Sonic nobody really seems to care. Which sucks because while I enjoy his Sonic work I'd put Mega Man, New Crusaders and his TMNT contributions well above it. Hell his short Superman story was also not too shabby.

So I'll agree with Heckboy on one thing in his post Sonic isn't Ian's best work. I still think it's good but if you don't believe he's bogged down by mandates check out literally anything else he's done.

I think Cosmo crashed mainly because it was an original IP, because stuff like Mega Man was fairly successful.

Has there been anymore word on Sticks joining the comics? I know Ian had sort of hinted at the possibility of it happening last year. 

21 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Has there been anymore word on Sticks joining the comics? I know Ian had sort of hinted at the possibility of it happening last year. 

Not that I've heard of so far, though I am behind on Bumblekast.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy does act more like Sally now and I hate it. 

She was informed about zombie invasion and she sent help.

How else should she react? By charging with hammer in hand? Getting distracted by Twinkle Park excellent promotions?

• Thumbs Up 3

They needed a familiar character to lead the Resistance and handle it when it's not being focused. And by process of elimination, Amy is definitely the character that has nothing going on otherwise.

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

They needed a familiar character to lead the Resistance and handle it when it's not being focused. And by process of elimination, Amy is definitely the character that has nothing going on otherwise.

Couldn't it have just disbanded?

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

She was called with zombie invasion and she sent help.

How else should she react? By charging herself with hammer? Getting distracted by Twinkle Park excellent promotions?

No...I believe the right thing to say was "no she doesn't" and then list why.

It usually works.

Amy doesn't act like Sally because...she's not a chipmunk.

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

Couldn't it have just disbanded?

It did, didn't it?

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy does act more like Sally now and I hate it. 

For context, what would you describe as acts like Sally?

On 6/9/2019 at 4:09 PM, Miragnarok said:

For all the innumerable faults of the movie, at least it seems to be 75% outside of Sega’s control. But if the movie flunks then Sonic Team will probably use it as an excuse to tighten their death grip. The tighter they squeeze, the more fall through the cracks, ya know?

Fall through the cracks?.

On 6/9/2019 at 9:36 PM, Shadowlax said:

So I got two main issues with Pre-boot Shadow, well 3

1) He always felt connected to nothing ever ( This persisted in the reboot tbh )

2) Ian always felt like he was trying to " end " his character

3) For a time like many other characters under penders, he felt very out of character

So yeah, that.

.So let's come back to this, since I didn't really respond to any of them:

1. That's honestly probably the best way to handle Shadow, for better or worse. His character and the tone that comes with it doesn't always gel with the get up & go, action packed, and sometimes goofy nature of the greater series.

2. In what way?

3. Well obviously. It's not hard to think he and Rouge were mandated to be in the comic, but Penders and perhaps (for what a little was able to use him)Mr. Bollers weren't quite sure what they were supposed to do with him given everything at the time.

7 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Cool cover but

Kinda rude of Tangle to take attention away from Whisper's logo

She's just mad cause Whisper has stuff going on.

Gorgeous cover. I'm really liking alot of the covers coming out for IDW. I doubt I would ever really go to the effort of collecting multiple issues for multiple covers, but the fact every issue gets 3 means there is usually at least 1 great one per issue.

I'm really looking forward to Tangle and Whisper, partially because I like both characters, partially because I really want it to do well financially, partially so that it proves that there is interest in the Sonic franchise even when Sonic himself isn't center stage, and partially because I do hope this means we could see a second book eventually.