Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

20 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

They keep[ talking about having Transformers level freedom and that pleases me. The just told Ian "Do what you want from a Sonic Comic"" so I'm greatly excited.

I cannot believe it! Sega are listening and caring! FREEDOM!!! FREEDOM!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Guys, who knows Sonic better than Ian? Are there better writers? If you find them, let me know.

You called?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 4

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I don't think you need somoene who know's sonic better

Is more so about having a different perspective on the matter. 

Well, he is not the only writer this time. And it's just that I don't trust other people to write for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Well, he is not the only writer this time. And it's just that I don't trust other people to write for Sonic.

Eventually you are gonna have to

He ain't gonna write sonic forever, i'm sure he has plans to move on eventually. 

1 hour ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Guys, who knows Sonic better than Ian? Are there better writers? If you find them, let me know.

OH! Finally a use for this Creative Writing degree. Here I gooooo~!

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

You called?

HISSSSSSS~!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

The whole " The Sonic comics are built in a world "that IDW controls" - more freedom for IDW to tell its new stories. " thing is the most exciting prospect for me. We could have done less without the ridiculous mandates like "Sonic must never lose" and "Sonic must never have emotions".

That being said It remains to be seen how far this control goes. I don't expect any of the "F**k it, do whatever" style of guidance we got when Penders was writing but if it goes too far in the other direction, if the grip starts to tighten to the extent that we get bland, flavorless drivel on the same level as Sonic Colors? Then I think I might check out for good.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2

1 minute ago, DonWaffleleven said:

"Sonic must never have emotions".

That's not a mandate. The rule is "Sonic can't cry his eyes out". He can still have emotions.

SonicCantHaveEmotions.thumb.png.c93c523a939f184f52705c2da2c196a2.png

• Thumbs Up 8

On the subject of the Nocturnus, if the “last echidna” deal is still in place (heck, it was a semi-throwaway detail in Boom!) the Nocturnus could be changed to be strictly in the past rather than survivors. Have some lost Nocturnus technology and maybe undead members of their race show up as threats for Knuckles. Shade could be a gynoid built by them instead of a real echidna. That would be a cool twist on her. Maybe Ix would just be a brain-in-a-jar?

35 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

TSSZ got the Q&A summary up. Nothing much but it’s good for those wanting to know what was answered.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/10/08/sonic-nycc-2017-idw-event-qa-info/

The amount of typing I did to get that up, especially right after the town hall finished...hoo boy. lol

Hope you guys enjoyed the live feed we did. It turned out much better than I expected!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 3

1 hour ago, Mister X said:

That's not a mandate. It's "Sonic can't cry his eyes out". He can still have emotions.

SonicCantHaveEmotions.thumb.png.c93c523a939f184f52705c2da2c196a2.png

Yeah. Sonic having tears in his eyes is fine.

To be honest, the image of Sonic bawling his eyes out is a very strange one to think about. I don't even think I've read any fan-fiction where that's happened. 

And if it did, I'd probably find it really funny as a result.

9 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't think you need somoene who know's sonic better

Is more so about having a different perspective on the matter. 

Tell that to Pontac and Graff...

And I say that as someone who defends them despite disliking the direction they've been put into after Colors, since Sega didn't give them room on the franchise initially.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

12 minutes ago, DoubleXXCross said:

…Again, were you seriously expecting a 100% continuation with the same numbering? I don't understand.

No, I was expecting to learn something about the upcoming comic. We got Flynn back, which is nice, but it seems like they were dodging every other topic. We just got a bunch of "Stay tuned".

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Tell thay to Pontac and Graff...

And I say that as someone who defends them despite disliking the direction they've been put into after Colors.

A different perspective Perspective doesn't make up for being good at your job. It also doesn't make up for sega basically handing you terrible scripts to translate, which is also the problem

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

A different perspective Perspective doesn't make up for being good at your job.

Kinda does when it comes to writing fiction, dude. 

It also doesn't make up for sega basically handing you terrible scripts to translate, which is also the problem

I'm pretty sure I mentioned Sega as also to blame.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I know Sonic better than Flynn.

Sonic's the red one, right?

Spoiler

I think Flynn writing is good. At the very least for the start. He can set the basic tone and style and later other writers can come in and put their own spin on things.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

To be fair, we can't very well find out if they don't look. They mentioned something about other writers that were Sonic fans, right?

I mean Ian's isn't perfect (Sally favoritism, sidelinging Cream, sometimes rushing the last part of story arcs), but it's alright.

Eh, give it a chance and some time. I imagine a lot of what happened between Archie and SEGA was because it was Archie, you know?

1 hour ago, Kfarc said:

If Mr.Flynn has more freedom now... Maybe he will be able to recreate this little gem of moment.

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania sonic i've got your limit right here

I just would like to experience this types of moments a little bit more from now on. Not at the begening, but after a year or two? Such a climactic battle at the end of a new big saga, that we all know Mr.Flynn will make.

Oh definitely.

When I got the back-issues of the comics and finally got to read the story that got me interested in picking up the comics, House of Cards (It sucked), I also got to read these issues and... aside from the very uncomfortable Charmy Bee situation, it was really good seeing Eggman in such a dominant role. 

It would have worked better had it been allowed to breathe and last. But the mandate forced them to fix everything like two issues later. And they practically had to beg the higher ups to even allow Eggman to win that first time with the promise that things would be immediately fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Okay. I've got one huge problem.

They just said "stay tuned" for the old cast.

If it's about them still arguing whether or not they can be used in the comics at all, it's all cool I suppose.

IT IS NOT COOL if they know they won't be able to use it and are just stalling.

If I know they're coming, I know how to react. If I know they aren't coming back, I know how to react.

They doesn't need to tell when, I just want to know are they coming at all or not?

If they fail to tell something that crucial before the orders are due, I'm afraid they don't stand a chance for me...

Gee, I'm not asking for moon from the skies, but then again, this really can't be helped, when you've received with the spoon you can't very well take vith the ladle...

And I'm still raw about that Webber's "sometime stuff just happens" attitude about not telling anything about why the thing with Archie went like it went...

Seriously, it's like the only really good thing is we still have Mr. Flynn... Hooray!

24 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Eventually you are gonna have to

He ain't gonna write sonic forever, i'm sure he has plans to move on eventually. 

Couldn't they just.. keep him in a box or something?

Glad to see Ian's got some big work on his hands again and the noise of more creative freedom sounds promising and all, but I sure hope we'll be seeing other writing talent used.  At least give someone else a chance every once in a while.  Still wish they gave us some artist details though, since there really wasn't a lot said besides repeating the same "This is a new partnership" answer.  Still, future sounds hopeful and that's all I want.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1