Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I myself am really liking where the comic is now, and that Tangle / Whisper cover looks read, are they about to Fight Sonic?

Edit: Wish people would stop comparing the sales of Archie-Sonic to IDW Sonic when people are glossing over some important factors

1: American-style western comic books haven't been doing as great in sales in general, even the higly praised comics from big houses from Marvel and D.C. aren't as populair as they used to be.
2: the archie books especially in the 90's were heavily sold because it had Sonic on it, Sonic was for many people a hard-to-find-merch by in general and its popularity rivalated  that of both Mario and Mickey Mouse, mostly in the west hench, why Sonic Japanese manga books never lasted beyond a volume or 3.
Sonic's popularity took a nose-dive especially in the latter years , bad games like Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog were still sold very well due to its franchise ties but games like Sonic Boom proves that Sonic can no longer be sold on his name alone and is still on the part-recovery of its name.

5 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I myself am really liking where the comic is now, and that Tangle / Whisper cover looks read, are they about to Fight Sonic?

My guess is it’s a fake Sonic of some kind.

I have a feeling that

Spoiler

The octopus girl in the second issues cover is a shapeshifter, hence that Sonic running away.

I have a feeling thisll tie into Year 3 somehow

3 hours ago, bingboomer said:

look, people oughto stop their complaining. the comic is just starting. im sure its gonna pick up the pace soon enough at sonic speed. im liking it and am really grateful that sonic is back in the comics. im betting that its going to be just as good as archie. if not BETTER! just give it a chance and see. 

Uuuuh, two things:

1. We're partway through a pretty large second story arc after the 12 or so issue first year.

2. Expecting some people to stop complaining is like expecting birds not to shit--its gonna happen at some point, it's just based on the cycle and it's variables.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

We can't let creators benefit of 'will be  worth later'. I can go to cinema, buy video game or just buy pizza, way cheaper than 12+ worth of comics and without months of waiting.

An in Flynn's specific case, what kind of excuse is 'just starting' He had 10+ years of experience and first 12 issues make a self-contained arc

There's also the fact that these arcs and stories are possibly shorter and sparser in part because he's already dealt with having buidup go unfulfilled and/or cut short before.

Thrice, without getting into specifics.

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Sonic's popularity took a nose-dive especially in the latter years , bad games like Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog were still sold very well due to its franchise ties but games like Sonic Boom proves that Sonic can no longer be sold on his name alone and is still on the part-recovery of its name.

It also didn't help that things like Twitter and reviews complaining about lack of forwarded copies circulated when Rise of Lyric was starting to come out.

2 hours ago, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I have a feeling that

Hide contents

The octopus girl in the second issues cover is a shapeshifter, hence that Sonic running away.

I thought that was an obvious connotation, but okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I do not know what youre talking about in the issue of writing being bad. Ive been in the comic since issue 0 and this is some of the best writing ive seen in years.  And its great in mixing humor and darker stories.

"No!"

5 hours ago, bingboomer said:

look, people oughto stop their complaining. the comic is just starting. im sure its gonna pick up the pace soon enough at sonic speed. im liking it and am really grateful that sonic is back in the comics. im betting that its going to be just as good as archie. if not BETTER! just give it a chance and see. 

2014: "The reboot will get better soon!"

2015: "The reboot is still just getting started, soon it'll get better!"

2016: "We're only three years into the reboot, be patient!"

2017: "The reboot is... oh wait it's cancelled."

2018: "Okay, so we're only ten issues into IDW. Give it time"

2019: "IDW is just starting, give it time.

2020: ???

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

No is hardly a counter

It's a tongue-in-cheek meme response because I'm tired of repeating myself.

Plus responding with "I don't get why you think the writing is bad" is hardly a counter when I literally just explained why I think the writing is bad. If you want me to be more concise, here:

IDW, like some of Ian's previous work, is running in place and has been for over a year. Ian loves long-term buildup but often fails to make the individual stories in the present engaging enough on their own. There are exceptions to this (the Champions arc in Archie, for instance), but this is the big problem with his writing. IDW has been extremely formulaic to the point where I can't even remember what event happened in which issue. There are no vibrant setpieces, no exciting or well-choreographed fight scenes, no conflicts or mysteries that are solved in interesting or clever ways. Just point A to point B plots with stilted, expository dialogue peppered with I CLAPPED BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THAT REFERENCE IS moments that fans eat up.

Again, the mandates thing is a meme response because none of this is restricted by the mandates. Just tell a basic funny book story with a few neat twists and turns. This is a visually vibrant series, so maybe have settings that aren't just "nameless generic village" or "grassy field" or "cave". Have action sequences that don't just consist of characters commenting on their situation, solving their problem in one page, then commenting how easy/hard it was. That's all.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I have a feeling that

Hide contents

that would be pretty cool :D

Ian and the rest of the IDW Staff so far really have made originail and capturing characters so cant wait for this new one

Did that Whisper issue come with a synopsis?

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

IDW, like some of Ian's previous work, is running in place and has been for over a year. IDW has been extremely formulaic to the point where I can't even remember what event happened in which issue. There are no vibrant setpieces, no exciting or well-choreographed fight scenes, no conflicts or mysteries that are solved in interesting or clever ways. 

This is a visually vibrant series, so maybe have settings that aren't just "nameless generic village" or "grassy field" or "cave". Have action sequences that don't just consist of characters commenting on their situation, solving their problem in one page, then commenting how easy/hard it was. That's all.

I can agree with much of this.

43 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

that would be pretty cool :D

Ian and the rest of the IDW Staff so far really have made originail and capturing characters so cant wait for this new one

Capturing?

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

"No!"

2015: "The reboot is still just getting started, soon it'll get better!"

2018: "Okay, so we're only ten issues into IDW. Give it time"

The reboot was objectively better than Pre-reboot and IDW is continuing that trend.

See I can state my opinions as fact too.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

18 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

The reboot was objectively better than Pre-reboot and IDW is continuing that trend.

See I can state my opinions as fact too.

Where in that post did I state my opinion as fact? Those are all basically paraphrasing people's responses to criticisms of IDW and the Archie reboot over the years.

And I can't wait for the day you reply with something other than "UH WELL THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION" and actually address my points with counterarguments. I mean Shadowlax and DabigRG actually acknowledged what I said and provided interesting opinions of their own, and even though I disagree with some of it I at least appreciate that. But for some reason you seem incapable of that and instead just run back to your Twitter hugbox to point and go "UGH, SOME PEOPLE AMIRITE?"

image.png.ad3233be84fc74c226881b7a16c144d1.png

It's amazing because you've been called out on this before, I believe both on here and on Archie Sonic Online, and yet you continue to do this. Do you just not have anything insightful to say, ever? Do you only know how to snark at people behind their backs? 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok fair point I need to stop doing that. I know it's immature. 

But even still when you just say shit like 

2015: "The reboot is still just getting started, soon it'll get better!"

2018: "Okay, so we're only ten issues into IDW. Give it time"

What is anyone supposedto think other than you're just being negative just to be negative? 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Ok fair point I need to stop doing that. I know it's immature. 

What is anyone supposedto think other than you're just being negative just to be negative? 

It's in response to a post that I've basically seen here OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER, one that deliberately ignores my points any time I criticize this fucking comic. I'm not even mad at that dude specifically, but this type of post gets old real quick.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, I am going to ask two things here-

1) That this personal argument stop.  Attack points, not people, etc.

2) Also, I was fine with it in the statuses because I thought you were just making fun of some rando on Twitter, which isn't a great thing to do either but I'd be a hypocrite to call you out on it.  But I absolutely do think we shouldn't be bringing up off-site drama between other members into the thread.  Please settle that shit in private, not here.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Maybe that...people have actual, long-standing complaints, that deserve to be discussed honestly and not just brushed off with "well it's just starting you can't judge it!"

• Thumbs Up 3

I really liked the post-reboot myself. much more then what became before it, I really didn't see anyone using the cancelling as an excuse that it didn't got good. After all the cancellation is more related to Sonic Team wanting to try out a new publisher and start a new, (bad blood and because Archie had a habbit of portraying their characters  in a very very not so flattering matter) and partly because Archie wanted to move away  a bit from their action titles and focus on RIverdale.

The idw series is a lot like the reboot series, so that makes sense to why I like it, IDW just needs a bit more characters, still miss the egg-bosses which they could move with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I really liked the post-reboot myself. much more then what became before it, I really didn't see anyone using the cancelling as an excuse that it didn't got good. After all the cancellation is more related to Sonic Team wanting to try out a new publisher and start a new, (bad blood and because Archie had a habbit of portraying their characters  in a very very not so flattering matter) and partly because Archie wanted to move away  a bit from their action titles and focus on RIverdale.

The idw series is a lot like the reboot series, so that makes sense to why I like it, IDW just needs a bit more characters, still miss the egg-bosses which they could move with them.

Needs just a bit more going on with the characters, plot, and world as well, but sure.

It's important to be able to roll with the punches.

Despite liking the Archie books well enough when I got into them, I was often at odds with people whenever I laid bare all my criticisms with the status of the book and of Ian's writing. Now the script has been flipped and I'm enjoying something he's writing while being presented with criticism on the other end. Some of which I agree with, some of which I definitely don't.

Some of the fears I did in fact express when I heard that Ian Flynn was coming back to write for Sonic was how much of a jerk I thought he was going to continue writing Sonic to be and how the usual pattern (especially when it came to Sonic Universe) of having long, drawn-out story arcs that end with extremely rushed and unsatisfying conclusions was going to continue. One of those didn't come to pass as Sonic's been really charming and legitimately cool in this series. The other is definitely a problem that's still persisting.

It was certainly a much bigger and more prominent problem with Year 1, especially. The excuse of it being done the way it was for the sake of introducing everyone to these characters and this world does only go so far. I enjoyed Year 1 for what it was, for the most part, and didn't totally agree that it was as deprived of interesting conflicts and set-pieces during the build-up phase as some others have suggested. Issues 1 through 6 I remember clearly and Issue 7 is still one of my absolute favorites. However, the bulk of what it is being something that could be largely forgotten is something I understood and accepted.

I didn't get legitimately disappointed until I saw what it was actually leading up to.

The entire finale with the Metal Overlord (I feel dumb referring to it as Master Overlord) was really shoddily written. The masses of characters huddling together to do a bunch of meaningless background fighting that can't even be classified as choreography was lame. The confrontation with the actual cool idea of giving Metal a Super form only to double back on something we've seen before (and something Ian has publicly stated he hated when he saw it in Heroes) turned out to be bogus. The solution for everything up to that point was vexingly simple. Our big built up villain turned into an utter buffoon and was bested by the Heroes in a matter of pages that just saw everything immediately fixing itself because... I guess it was time for the Heroes to win. That's fucking LAME.

I immediately had flashbacks to the old Sonic Universe arcs where Ian would end the third issue of each arc on a full page spread of the big bad they were supposed to face down only for the beginning of the final issue to just RUSH to that thing's defeat as though it were no real big deal. Despite my legitimate enjoyment of the comic, this IS a problem Ian had and still does have.

Year 2 has been far better than Year 1, to the point where right now it's actually turning out to be one of my favorite stories I've watched unfold reading a Sonic comic book. This is a story where, luckily, the build up actually works extremely well with the subject matter and the process of how it got from one point to another is fun to lay out in my mind. Eggman going from torturing little flickies in test tubes, to zombifying Rough and Tumble, to dumping the goop on the village that took care of him like a tremendous asshole, to infecting an entire city, to losing my favorite character..! It's been a thrill ride for me. I definitely can not agree with anyone who says that what's been transpiring so far hasn't been good. It's successfully gotten my heart pumping. 

Even better is what's being done with Sonic. The flow of the story actually doesn't feel detrimental by following him because of his situation with regards to actually being infected. He can't stop moving, he can't touch any of his friends, he probably can't even sleep for very long. These are really great ideas and a lot of what he's done so far is stuff I'm extremely jealous I didn't come up with myself. The fact that it's a reference to the Metal forms in Heroes largely doesn't even matter. 

All of this said, I'm still keeping an open mind to reserve judgement on the arc as a whole because of how these things usually go. A huge part of me actually desires to see this go a bit past this year just because I feel the build up would work better matched with a similarly paced back half... but Ian's shown that that's not how his stuff usually goes.

It may not completely ruin the feelings I've had about it up to this point but I'll be gravely disappointed if this arc ends similarly to the first one where everything we've been building up to just fixes itself with a rushed climax that squanders what it's been doing up till now. I don't know if I believe seven issues will be enough to confidently wrap this all up. 

I hope it does. 

Even as someone who's enjoying this book on the whole, I see where some of the complaints are coming from. I definitely still can't wrap my head around a few of them but there's certainly consistent problems Ian Flynn's had with his writing being showcased in this book. For me, it hasn't been all that present here in Year 2 so far and I hope it stays that way because any story surrounding Sonic that can get my heart pumping like this one has so far I feel is worth an actual well-done ending and not the typical ones Ian tends to do. He's managed satisfying conclusions before so here's hoping this is one of them.

• Thumbs Up 7

You know what Mike just made me think of: The zombots were loosely inspired by the Metal Skin Cheat Code from Sonic Heroes, right? 

Why wasn't Neo Metal Sonic the one doing this?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

You know what Mike just made me think of: The zombots were loosely inspired by the Metal Skin Cheat Code from Sonic Heroes, right? 

Why wasn't Neo Metal Sonic the one doing this?

I don't really want Neo Metal Sonic to be doing this. This is far more exciting as a person to person infection and the fact that it works on plants just makes it even better. I also rather like how much crueler it is to have Sonic and the other heroes having to attack or fend off innocent victims turned zombot rather than a gooey robot. I'd especially prefer he stay on the back-burner for a while after his buffonish performance during the climax of the last arc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

IF                                                                                                       ON.

If it was Metal Sonic doing this it'd just be regular roboticization.

IF                                                                                                       ON.

6 hours ago, Heckboy said:

Plus responding with "I don't get why you think the writing is bad" is hardly a counter when I literally just explained why I think the writing is bad. If you want me to be more concise, here:

IDW, like some of Ian's previous work, is running in place and has been for over a year. Ian loves long-term buildup but often fails to make the individual stories in the present engaging enough on their own. There are exceptions to this (the Champions arc in Archie, for instance), but this is the big problem with his writing. IDW has been extremely formulaic to the point where I can't even remember what event happened in which issue. There are no vibrant setpieces, no exciting or well-choreographed fight scenes, no conflicts or mysteries that are solved in interesting or clever ways. Just point A to point B plots with stilted, expository dialogue peppered with I CLAPPED BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT THAT REFERENCE IS moments that fans eat up.

Again, the mandates thing is a meme response because none of this is restricted by the mandates. Just tell a basic funny book story with a few neat twists and turns. This is a visually vibrant series, so maybe have settings that aren't just "nameless generic village" or "grassy field" or "cave". Have action sequences that don't just consist of characters commenting on their situation, solving their problem in one page, then commenting how easy/hard it was. That's all.

Fights? Sonic vs Starline, Sonic gettting pummled by Neo, Eggman chocking starline for attacking sonic. Plenty of villages and locations shown. Just cause they dont have some giant billboard plastered saying WELCOME TO TROPICAL ISLE CITY does not make them less interesting. Plenty of emotional pieces such as eggman attacking the very people that saved him and took him in, the girl crying and scared cause she was infected. Charmy being caught. Literally disarming one of the zombot skunk brothers.  Sorry the comic is not 200+ issues in with more to build upon like the Champions arc which honestly was pretty boring in the long run for the end result. IAN is telling one hell of a good story in my book. Much better than any of the mess Sega has done in the last decade nearly. He knows how to make an actual evil eggman. And working around what I am sure Sega will allow is tough. Again its only at issue 17. Not one comic in my 30 years living that I know has had a steady bridge that early on.

I thought the neo metal sonic fight was really well choreographed and the action has generally been a pretty creative showcase of the characters abilities otherwise. The only thing is that it feels sort of weightless because the book is pretty light on emotional stakes. Based on year 1 I'd agree with the sentiment that Ian doesn't know how to follow through. I thought the last couple of issues were the worst of the batch. I enjoyed a lot of year 1 regardless but that's a pretty big hole to have in your storytelling skillset. 

I mostly enjoyed the moment to moment character interactions in year 1 which is probably why 2 isn't grabbing me as much. With things being more serious a lot of that spark and humor is gone for the sake of drama that honestly feels pretty generic and uninteresting.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I think Year 2 is the bees knees and is (so far) easily shaping up to be the best Sonic story I've experienced in years. The last issue was my personal favorite of these comics so far with Issue 7 from Year 1 being right behind it. As someone who's been rather starved for something more serious, I appreciate this a lot and found that the act of putting the Chaotix at the forefront of the last issue allowed them to be flexible in a way that they aren't usually allowed to be often. The claustrophobic nature of being trapped in an oncoming apocalypse has gotten my heart pumping and summoned visions of me wondering what I would do if I were in a similar situation, which is always one of the biggest signs of my own personal investment. Not to mention, I like how it's standing as proof of how to utilize the characters in a manner that doesn't skirt to embarrassing Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 levels of unearned self-importance.

I was disappointed by the climax of Year 1 and am currently hoping that Year 2 delivers on its climax but on the whole I've largely no complaints about the current state of affairs concerning the book. Even if I don't understand most of the grievances brought up with Year 2, I still have respect for the opinions of the other side. Plus, it'd be massively hypocritical of me to complain about the complaining when all I ever did during the Archie run was complain.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone still reading outright hates it. If they are then maybe they just want to stay in the loop for the sake of having a stake in the conversation, which is a valid reason as well. There's been things I've read that I've hated just so I could have a fair and balanced opinion on why I thought something sucked.

The important thing is to not fly off the handle and start viewing the opposite side as the villain because that's extremely easy to do and talking to them in a certain way doesn't change their opinions. In my case, when people got hostile with me for not liking the Silver Arc in Archie, I just doubled down on the hate.

It doesn't work. 

• Thumbs Up 4

23 hours ago, Heckboy said:

@Shadowlax Quoting separately because I can't directly quote in an edit (or if I can I'm too much of a dumbass to figure out how haHA)

He certainly respects the Sonic franchise, sure. But if he's genuinely enthusiastic about this comic it's sure as hell doesn't show in the writing. Over time he's gotten noticeably worse with pacing and even dialogue. His main thing is focusing on long-term plans but failing to tell stories in the moment that are memorable or engaging in their own right. It started with Iron Dominion, gradually got worse with Mecha Sally, reached its nadir with Shattered World, and now it's carried on to IDW to some extent.

So I generally agree with this critcism, it is a problem of his. I found the sonic universe arcs a great deal more interesting than the main story, they never got completed because he was focusing on narrative ( and characters given how well the new book is doing ) that ultimately didn't matter to most folks. And those good shorter stories never got finished the only one that got finished was the bad main one and ultimately while I like it more that what came before I can only call the reboot a sort of failure in that regard.

I think sonic universe proves he can do that, and when we get the sonic universe equivalent, likely various miniseries he will prove that again. 

And sure, the *idea* of the zombots is kind of neat (even if, again, it's just relying on DUDE OBSCURE REFERENCE LMAO). But the execution? It's uh...

For right now, I think its good, he could mess it up though, along with the powers above him. This story to land on its feet requires them to have the screw up that caused all this have actual effects. And is he willing to do that, we will see. But for now, its pretty good.

Again, he is certainly capable of putting good work out. He is significantly better than Penders (though, hot take, I'd argue Flynn has a few bad writing habits in common with ol' Ken). But his writing has a lot of problems that seem to have only gotten worse over the years, when you'd think he'd have improved after over a decade of working in the funny book industry.

What might those problems be, because there's 1 I might agree with you with.

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

No!

No-no-no-no

NOOOOOOOOOOO

I refuse to listen to this god damn excuse. I've been over this one too many times. You can't sell people empty boxes with promise of filling them later.

Sonic Universe #1 had action comedy and drama squeezed in 20 pages and I read it without knowing any context from rest of the series.
Darkwing Duck comic lasted only 20 issues, but each of  them kicked ass.
Transformers New Bold Continuity is garbage and I don't care it's "only" 6 issues. I gave up.

We can't let creators benefit of 'will be  worth later'. I can go to cinema, buy video game or just buy pizza, way cheaper than 12+ worth of comics and without months of waiting.

An in Flynn's specific case, what kind of excuse is 'just starting' He had 10+ years of experience and first 12 issues make a self-contained arc

While I enjoy the book now. Now that the first year is over,  that's not really an excuse. Though to be fair to ian, I figure sonic is a brand that works with multiple books better than 1. And I feel like shit will pick up literally instantaneously when that occurs. Sonic Universe the series is generally good because it doesn't have to account for the entire sonic universe like this book has to despite its name. It only had to account for some of it at a time.

Ok I think you are wrong and right .

So I don't think its been running in place, its gone places and it has the potential to go more places. I think this story or hope maybe this goes in a direction that sort of causes a long running schism in the sonic IDW world. This story has potential to make shadow and potential other characters more adversarial to other characters based on sonic's decision and lack of follow through. If this year ends with characters not really wanting to hang with each other and Team Dark breaking up for obvious reasons  , this would be a pretty interesting direction for the sonic universe to go.

But we will get back to that in a second, I agree with you on the lack of good fight scenes...somewhat. The fight scene quality depends soley on the artist. The fight scene in issue 6 is non existent and ass. But the one in 7 is great. Sometimes you kinda get assed out and get the artist who can't do fights so good. While yes Ian is the writer and has some direction he talks about how he lets the artists interpret things and work how they want. And its very clear some of those artists are better at interpreting things than other other artists.

So back to the first thing , so sonic causing some damage to the friend circle is a cool time. But the issue is will sega let them do that, and that's the issue and where I believe you are right to some degree but aren't thinking big enough. His stories or writing style isn't bad, the stories he's trying to tell are bad for what sonic is trying to be right now. And get actively contradicted. I think you said that someone else could problably work within the confines of these mandates and create better stories, I agree because they wouldn't write these stories.  Ian Flynn has a very specific view of sonic and co and it shines through with each version , and maybe he needs to let go of that to tell a more interesting story. Because things change get contradicted and things with any significance might not get addressed until much later... if at all as The reboot proved.

The mandates aren't hard set rules sometimes they are lines he brushes against and I don't think they just come from Sega. Part of the reason I don't like to blame the state of the current comics soley on Ian because its likely both IDW and Sonic team want a bunch of characters to be featured none of the " core ones" they Iizuka had recently designated to be left out for too long. Thus why the book is from person to person and switches up so much.

3 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Years of treating their characters not great and having them take a backseat to characters they do not intend to use probably spurred them into desiring to get out. Along with Archies change in plans.  Any issues anyone has with those books likely falls on ian himself. Or that one editor that messed up Sonic universe and even then some of that blame could go to ian too.

3 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I don't think it needs more characters personally just room to actually tell neat stories with the ones they have that don't get rushed or delayed.