Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

4 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

It looks like fanart considering half the Zombot characters are Archie characters. Seriously, off the bat I can see Jack Rabbit, Predator Hawk and Lightning Lynx. 

So I’m not the only one. I see Elias, Geoffrey, Predator Hawk, Guntiver, Jack Rabbit, Lightning Lynx, and Tundra the Walrus.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

It looks like fanart considering half the Zombot characters are Archie characters. Seriously, off the bat I can see Jack Rabbit, Predator Hawk and Lightning Lynx. 

I had the same thought!

Heck there's one fella that reminds me of Tommy Turtle and one of the Arctic Freedom fighters.

EDIT: A preview of issue 18! From Apple Books

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/sonic-the-hedgehog-18/id1470166751

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

So I’m not the only one. I see Elias, Geoffrey, Predator Hawk, Guntiver, Jack Rabbit, Lightning Lynx, and Tundra the Walrus.

I saw Geoffrey and Elias right off the bat and it just escalated from there.

Blanked on Tundra, admittedly. I thought Sleuth was there too, but the build is all wrong.

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I had the same thought!

Heck there's one fella that reminds me of Tommy Turtle and one of the Arctic Freedom fighters.

EDIT: A preview of issue 18! From Apple Books

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/sonic-the-hedgehog-18/id1470166751

Pretty great start, aside from one thing. 

Spoiler

Good reintroduction to Cream & Cheese, given they've been absent from the series for a sadly long while. Already liking the hints of added personality to Vanilla and Chocola, but Gemerl talking like an operating system is not gellin too well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh...

Spoiler

So Gemerl's not a "discount Shard" in this comic?

...Okay then.

2 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Huh...

Hide contents

...Okay then.

Spoiler

Aaaaaand instead, he just looks kind of boring.

Man I'm gonna be disappointed if they chickened out and don't show Charmy after being turned.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Huh...

Hide contents

...Okay then.

Which is disappointing considering

Spoiler

it was likely intended to reflect how Emerl learned to talk through copying Sonic and maintained with everyone save Amy, from what I know of the game. Cream in particular remarks that his confident, yet caring nature towards her was reminiscent of Sonic.

The similarity to Shard was just an easy comparison that was inevitable due to both being robots that turned good and Shard's redesign being based on Metal Sonic 3.0, who had the same color scheme.

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Hide contents

Aaaaaand instead, he just looks kind of boring.

Man I'm gonna be disappointed if they chickened out and don't show Charmy after being turned.

I'm assuming he'll show up given that very detail.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Either two things will happen - 1. - They'll get away with it, because since they're zombots, you can easily make up the excuse that they just happen to look like those characters (See why Chun-Li was constantly in shadows in the second arc of Worlds Unite), or 2. - The cover is WIP and the figures will end up changed. This happened before with this: 

latest?cb=20150716045925

IIRC - This cover originally had pre-reboot characters, and had to be changed to remove them due to it. 

That said, I'm going for the idea that they're a sly reference and can't be called out because of the zombots' generic looks. You can easily make the excuse they all just look similar instead of actually meant to be them.

---------------------------------

On another note which is connected to Issue 19's cover, I still kind of wish we could get an update on the Freedom Fighters' status. Given the structure of the comic right now with all these numerous villages around the place, I could easily see a small village named Knothole with the Freedom Fighters as inhabitants, which IMO would be vastly better than the generic characters populating these villages.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

IIRC - This cover originally had pre-reboot characters, and had to be changed to remove them due to it. 

---------------------------------

One of which was Sleuth Dawggy Dog. And if I'm not mistaken, there are some versions of the cover where you can still see the silhouette's of the removed characters.

49 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Which is disappointing considering

Hide contents

it was likely intended to reflect how Emerl learned to talk through copying Sonic and maintained with everyone save Amy, from what I know of the game. Cream in particular remarks that his confident, yet caring nature towards her was reminiscent of Sonic.

The similarity to Shard was just an easy comparison that was inevitable due to both being robots that turned good and Shard's redesign being based on Metal Sonic 3.0, who had the same color scheme.

Indeed.

Spoiler

It's possible that there may still be traces of a Sonic/Emerl-like personality later in the issue, but I'm not really expecting it at the moment.

On another note, I should probably see if one of my local comic shops is stocking some IDW Sonic. Last time I went, they had none (and the comic was about 10 issues in, iirc).

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh, going to miss

Spoiler

Gemerl being Shard-lite (now.. he's truly gone). I hope there's more to him besides robot or he's allowed to develop.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Indeed.

Reveal hidden contents

It's possible that there may still be traces of a Sonic/Emerl-like personality later in the issue, but I'm not really expecting it at the moment.

On another note, I should probably see if one of my local comic shops is stocking some IDW Sonic. Last time I went, they had none (and the comic was about 10 issues in, iirc).

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

Huh, going to miss

Hide contents

Gemerl being Shard-lite (now.. he's truly gone). I hope there's more to him besides robot or he's allowed to develop.

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm somewhat doubting it myself.

It's extra odd considering Omega is gonna be in the next story. Makes me wonder if this might be a SEGA thing.

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Oh wow, Cream the Rabbit is in this comic?

What kind of world is this, I say.

Oh hush.

Same reaction, I really liked how...

Spoiler

Gemerl used to reflect Emerl's personality, this is just boring, I don't get why make this choice?

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Pretty happen with how Vanilla and Cream are portrayed and drawn here so far. I like that Cream being asked to stand back is a lot more reasonable here than in the post-reboot. Also nice to see Choccolo back. Wonder if Ian will bring Milk from Colors DS.

The hurdle Archie had to deal with is the fact that, in addition to Cream not being a very story heavy character despite her contrast, they had to fit her in for the Shattered World Crisis after she only debut preboot two years beforehand. Her young age and intended novice compared to both the other game characters and even the Freedom Fighters meant they naturally used her as a rookie.  Which opened up the opportunity for a minor arc that played on Sally's overly careful traits, as well as emphasize how dangerous the Dark Gaia Creatures are.

And it's Chocola. But who's Milk?

34 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

I don't get what eggman means by minefields if sonicis leaving that village?

I don't remember if I brought this up before, but 

Spoiler

I think he partially means how turning Cream or Cheese would give him [another] surprisingly fast, aerial virum to spread the virus with.

It's also possible that this may be a location that's in the center of a bigger populated area, which means it's victims will spread the virus faster.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

A Chao Sonic and Tails rescued.

Ah, of course. That explains everything.

As for your previous comment, just press the plus/multiquote button and then come back here to repost it.

Hollow victory really.

Yes, having Gemerl back is great, but the fact that it might come at the cost of his personality makes me wonder what's the point.  We've already got Omega for that more matter-of-fact, computer speech.  Hopefully this could just be the beginning of Gemerl's character growth, but I doubt it for such a tertiary cast member.

• Thumbs Up 8

38 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Pretty happen with how Vanilla and Cream are portrayed and drawn here so far. I like that Cream being asked to stand back is a lot more reasonable here than in the post-reboot. Also nice to see Choccolo back. Wonder if Ian will bring Milk from Colors DS.

This is my post that I meant to put.

13 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

Hollow victory really.

Hide contents

Yes, having Gemerl back is great, but the fact that it might come at the cost of his personality makes me wonder what's the point.  We've already got Omega for that more matter-of-fact, computer speech.  Hopefully this could just be the beginning of Gemerl's character growth, but I doubt it for such a tertiary cast member.

Exactly.

Not to be overtly cynical or tinfoil hat or anything, but I suspect that it may have something to do with how SonicTeam would prefer the character(s) to be.

27 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

This is my post that I meant to put.

...Honestly,it looks the same way as in the Archie Sonic: she is a child so it's too dangerous for her

22 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

...Honestly,it looks the same way as in the Archie Sonic: she is a child so it's too dangerous for her

Except here it's a bit more understandable since a) it's her mother telling her it and b) it would be nigh impossible for Cream to go out there w/o getting infected.

46 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Not to be overtly cynical or tinfoil hat or anything, but I suspect that it may have something to do with how SonicTeam would prefer the character(s) to be.

Well Gemerl wasn't a "character" at the end of Advance 3.

So he'll have to start from scratch anyway.

Just consider Gemerl to have been in a time stasis since then (due to game canon) and this is the 1st thing he's done in forever.