Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

Comic Book Eggman. Not Game Eggman.

Ah, there we are.

Of course, that at least still fell under Eggman or Robotnik as it were.

47 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:
  Hide contents

I'm actually happy to see how Eggman's hybris is beggining to make him fail, especially as in the last few games, it was either Eggman being unlucky or Sonic being all-powerfull that made him fail. Here, it's his hybris, and it makes it way more interesting.

Wasn't Lost World essentially him overstepping as well?

49 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

My theory is that it's how Flynn call "City" from Sonic Forces, considering that Sunset Height was the first revelead location inside it ?

Oh yeah, good point.

2 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Huh, that's possible. Good shot. How about mountains on the left? It's strange to leave only one place unmarked, especially after putting those strange lines on it.

Yeah, that is strange.

Interesting that the other mountains are labeled Eggman's Base, though.

An Eggman plan backfiring because he got overconfident? That never happens! XD

For real though while we could have guessed the Zombots weren't going to keep following Eggman's orders it's still always fun to see Eggman's plans bite him.

Place your bets on how long it takes for Starline to pull a "Snively" and lose respect for Eggman before backstabbing him and claiming he can do better. We all know it's gonna happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Place your bets on how long it takes for Starline to pull a "Snively" and lose respect for Eggman before backstabbing him and claiming he can do better. We all know it's gonna happen.

True, but that isn't exactly a negative, IMO. I think Starline can benefit more from being an independent antagonists. He has more potential to be a good villain in his own right than being just a giant Eggman fanboy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, I think this could be a very interesting development. It's interesting, back when Year 2 started my assumption was that the story arc would have Starline and Eggman's relationship devoling, with Starline becoming his own individual villian in the process by the end of it. Then when the metal virus plot was revealed, I assumed it was only going to last, say 4 issues, with Sonic and co solving it and then Starline and Eggman breaking up. However with the revelation that the metal virus will last from issue 15 up until (presumably) issue 24, and the notion that Eggman has lost control of it makes me realise that the true "villian" of Year 2 isn't Eggman himself, but the zombots. Which I'm fine with, I think they work really well, and the hints that we're going to see the Sonic ensemble being bumped off each issue should hopefully lead to a great payoff.

So yeah, can't wait to read #18.

• Thumbs Up 1

If he doesn't stay an Egg-fan, BC is gonna be called out.

Even IF he becomes independent.

12 hours ago, kimplix said:

2 new pages have been added and oh look

mffaq4K.png

AGYJsuG.png

Eggman's pretty much failing again. It's like his own special trait or something.

Seriously? Is there a mandate that doesn't allow Eggman to use his brain and LEARN from his mistakes ?! He didn't make sure that he had full control of the infected people? How many times did his creations or minions turn against him? When will he learn?!

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Sounds like you're thinking of another villain.

Then why not use another villain if the main one is not allowed to learn from his mistakes? The "Eggman gets betrayed by his own creation " plot has been overused and it's getting boring

1 minute ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Seriously? Is there a mandate that doesn't allow Eggman to use his brain and LEARN from his mistakes ?!

No, but there IS a mandate saying that Sonic has to always win. Making sure Eggman doesn't think is one way to keep that mandate in check.

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

An Eggman plan backfiring because he got overconfident? That never happens! XD

For real though while we could have guessed the Zombots weren't going to keep following Eggman's orders it's still always fun to see Eggman's plans bite him.

If it wasn't used almost every time,it would be funny,but at this point is repetitive and predictable. 

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

No, but there IS a mandate saying that Sonic has to always win. Making sure Eggman doesn't think is one way to keep that mandate in check.

Yeah,Sonic has to win but it doesn't state that it has to be so easy: heroes can struggle with strong enemy and still win! The bad guy doesn't have to be an idiot for the hero to win. In fact,if the enemy is so dumb,it makes the hero look less impressive: anyone could beat this bad guy,so the hero is not special

9 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure that it's made according to the mandate here. I mean, for Sonic, it doesn't change many thing if the zombie army contaminating the whole planet is actually controlled by Eggman or not. I think it's more the simple thing that a plague isn't controllable. By no mean. It's a virus, it mutate.

( The only thing that would change is that if to win, Flynn will be able to make Sonic needs Eggman's help or not. )

• Thumbs Up 2

Well usually around this time on a release day I’m enjoying the comic and possibly posting my thoughts on it. But the IDW App is telling me the issue 18 is out but ‘Not available for this device’ 😕 Not sure if that’s a bug or if they’ve suddenly dropped a load of supported devices from their compatibility service.

I really liked this issue.

Spoiler

Gemerl is pretty interesting, in that he TRIES to be good and to protect Cream, but still have to learn all of the part of "compassion" and stuff, while being able to understand it when Cream explain it to him. It makes him really interesting for me, because it give to him a lot of room to grow. He really give to him a lot of potential.

I also loved the idea of zombotifing Cheese. Not just because of this image of Cheese just before full transformation, but also because separating Cream from Cheese is an interesting idea. I hope we will get another bit of Cream before the big Finale, or during it, because it really have potential to make her grow. I also liked her portrayal : she is a little girl that want to protect everybody, and she is as such naive, brave, emotional… She was really well done, and that was pretty cool.

I liked how Sonic was less the center of everything, but more a "perspective".

The doubt of Starline are also interesting. The disillusion is pretty cool, and it could make interesting stuff about Starline. I can suppose him becoming full-on dangerous in some point. I also liked how the problem of Eggman isn't bowl-down to just "he is smart but stupid", but more linked to his lack of long-term planning (I would have prefered if they have linked this lack of long-term planning to his ego).

I think that the invasion is going to become even more interesting when Eggman will have lost all control of it.

I also prefer Flynn's Orbot to the games one. He isn't downright insulting with Eggman, way more the "sassy lacket", and it makes him pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I really liked this issue.

Hide contents

Gemerl is pretty interesting, in that he TRIES to be good and to protect Cream, but still have to learn all of the part of "compassion" and stuff, while being able to understand it when Cream explain it to him. It makes him really interesting for me, because it give to him a lot of room to grow. He really give to him a lot of potential.

I also loved the idea of zombotifing Cheese. Not just because of this image of Cheese just before full transformation, but also because separating Cream from Cheese is an interesting idea. I hope we will get another bit of Cream before the big Finale, or during it, because it really have potential to make her grow. I also liked her portrayal : she is a little girl that want to protect everybody, and she is as such naive, brave, emotional… She was really well done, and that was pretty cool.

I liked how Sonic was less the center of everything, but more a "perspective".

The doubt of Starline are also interesting. The disillusion is pretty cool, and it could make interesting stuff about Starline. I can suppose him becoming full-on dangerous in some point. I also liked how the problem of Eggman isn't bowl-down to just "he is smart but stupid", but more linked to his lack of long-term planning (I would have prefered if they have linked this lack of long-term planning to his ego).

I think that the invasion is going to become even more interesting when Eggman will have lost all control of it.

I also prefer Flynn's Orbot to the games one. He isn't downright insulting with Eggman, way more the "sassy lacket", and it makes him pretty cool.

She reminds me of Amy in the Adventure series

10 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

She reminds me of Amy in the Adventure series 

In that they have compassion yes, but it's a pretty common trait, especially in Sonic xD With that exception of compassion, tbh they are pretty different in they way of acting, because they correspond to différent cliché. Amy in the Sonic Adventure was the kinda-braty-but-not-too-much girl with a heart of gold added as the part that make her "special", while Cream is totally here a "little girl", that is impressive for her age because of her courage.

I would say that Cream is more like… Cream ? A bit like the Sonic Battle Cream (but with a better writing imo, and without Battle Amy which can only makes me happy because I still have nightmares of the word boxercise), but with a tiny bit of a Sonic X influence.

7 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

In that they have compassion yes, but it's a pretty common trait, especially in Sonic xD With that exception of compassion, tbh they are pretty different in they way of acting, because they correspond to différent cliché. Amy in the Sonic Adventure was the kinda-braty-but-not-too-much girl with a heart of gold added as the part that make her "special", while Cream is totally here a "little girl", that is impressive for her age because of her courage.

I would say that Cream is more like… Cream ? A bit like the Sonic Battle Cream (but with a better writing imo, and without Battle Amy which can only makes me happy because I still have nightmares of the word boxercise), but with a tiny bit of a Sonic X influence.

Cream + Boxercise + Sonic X = An Interesting Combo

That Cream and Gemerl moment actually reminded of her and Emerl in Sonic X, but yeah also Amy and Gamma. Nice callback.

Spoiler

Cream has potential, I agree that she's brave.

Starline... Still think he is from the future the way he talks. Interesting, he is a straight man villain to Eggman being incompetent. It's a different dynamic.

Gemerl was so dumb this issue but I liked how the story resolved with him apologizing to Sonic. The conflict was cool due to him being a machine.

Cheese and Chocola zombots... yeah not surprised.

I really love how the story has tension, emotions, desperation, Sonic actually reflects and thinks, plus the Metal Virus storyline has really upped the stakes. I need more victims though.

Next time is Team Dark in Forces's Sunset City!

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

If he doesn't stay an Egg-fan, BC is gonna be called out.

Even IF he becomes independent.

BC? 

5 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

Seriously? Is there a mandate that doesn't allow Eggman to use his brain and LEARN from his mistakes ?! He didn't make sure that he had full control of the infected people? How many times did his creations or minions turn against him? When will he learn?!

Then why not use another villain if the main one is not allowed to learn from his mistakes? The "Eggman gets betrayed by his own creation " plot has been overused and it's getting boring

I was wondering why it was Eggman doing this to begin with, albeit not for that reason. 

5 hours ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

If it wasn't used almost every time,it would be funny,but at this point is repetitive and predictable. 

Yeah,Sonic has to win but it doesn't state that it has to be so easy: heroes can struggle with strong enemy and still win! The bad guy doesn't have to be an idiot for the hero to win. In fact,if the enemy is so dumb,it makes the hero look less impressive: anyone could beat this bad guy,so the hero is not special

To be fair, Eggman not having full control over them means next to nothing for the conflict. 

I also like that Sonic's World is FINALLY starting to take form… even with a map done by Cream, which I find absolutely lazy and ugly, I hope IDW releases a better map in the future.

Time to recap the map:

Widmill Village - home of Eggman during his time as Mr. Tinker

Barricade Town - town conquered by Rough and Tumble until issue 3

Spiral Hill - home of Tangle

Green Hill - where Tails' workshop is located

Seaside City (presumably near Seaside Hill?) - home of the Chaotix Detective Agency

Sunset City - from Sonic Forces, attacked by Eggman and debuts here in issue 19 with Team Dark

Floral Forest Village - has Cream's house

Central City - the map mentions it as part of the animal world with Tails' house from Sonic Battle

Angel Island - home of Knuckles

Final Egg - Eggman's secret lair on Mystic Ruins

Frozen Peak - snowy mountains seen in issue 14

Echo Mine - abandoned base seen in issue 15

Restoration HQ - Amy's office

Mini-Ark - where the metal virus spreads

Oh hey, look, I called that Eggman wouldn’t properly code the zombots and would almost definitely turn against him.

Also, Gemerl sucks here from what I’ve read so far. It seems to all just be generic robo voice. So disappointed we got this bland characterless version over Archie, even if Archie tried to make him like Shard.

• Thumbs Up 2

So hey... non-reader here.

Do you guys think it’s a good time to break into the series? I see you guys posting about the miniseries they have planned. I always like it when a world gets big enough to support a couple books. I was a pretty big Archie fan (read: old) but lost interest right around the continuous Megaman crossover plugs. Universe was pretty much what I always wanted from a Sonic book. Development for so many characters across multiple changing arcs was great. I know I won’t get that at the IDW book, or at least it feels like I won’t. Am I wrong?

I’ve been avoiding IDW Sonic the way I avoid watching a tv show in its first season, until at least two seasons are out. I like catching up. Is it at that point where it’s an actual world, or are they still building?

2 hours ago, Badnik Zero said:

So hey... non-reader here.

Do you guys think it’s a good time to break into the series? I see you guys posting about the miniseries they have planned. I always like it when a world gets big enough to support a couple books. I was a pretty big Archie fan (read: old) but lost interest right around the continuous Megaman crossover plugs. Universe was pretty much what I always wanted from a Sonic book. Development for so many characters across multiple changing arcs was great. I know I won’t get that at the IDW book, or at least it feels like I won’t. Am I wrong?

I’ve been avoiding IDW Sonic the way I avoid watching a tv show in its first season, until at least two seasons are out. I like catching up. Is it at that point where it’s an actual world, or are they still building?

If you can, I’d recommend grabbing Tangle & Whisper issue 0. Not only is it a neat little sneak peak at the upcoming miniseries, but it also contains an 8-page recap of Year 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

StH#17 and StH#18 should have switched release order. 

Why?

And that's why sonics stories always start strong but fall flat. He CAN'T  lose. Superman, spiderman, Jack. They lose sometimes in situations they can't fix. Sonic wins regardless how world ending the threat

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic #18 is... fine.

What's there to say? Sonic keeps fighting Zombies. It's not that different from robots. I think Flynn is missing some golden opportunity for greater violence, now that we established those things regenerated. In next issue I want Omega in GUN truck from SA2, smashing through familiar faces. I never watched/read/played Walking Dead, but I feel like Flynn could use some more Zombie tropes.

Starline's arc is going were we all expected (BTW I'm calling this now, putting Emerald in throne was bad idea), Gemerl is now more robot-ish, and Flynn still doesn't let Cream fight on equal footing (this isn't really a complain. We have tons of fighters. If Flynn decided to give her other jobs, I respect that he sticks to his guns).

And there main drama around Gemerl, which I won't spoil, I'll just say 'it's fine'. Artwork is just fine, jokes... are non I think. It's okay issue, but kinda going with the motions. Reminds me of last days of Preboot Archie, when Team Fighters chased Death Egg. Issue were fine, but lack...how to put it. Twist? Punch? Hook?

Next stop is 2-parter with Team Dark, maybe that will have more 'bang' I'm hoping for.

2 hours ago, Badnik Zero said:

Do you guys think it’s a good time to break into the series?(...) Universe was pretty much what I always wanted from a Sonic book. Development for so many characters across multiple changing arcs was great. I know I won’t get that at the IDW book, or at least it feels like I won’t. Am I wrong?

Eeeeeee. You're not.

Characters are perfectly...characterized, but not developed. They don't push their powers to the limits, they aren't put in unusual situations, no new spin. Heck, they lucky if issue is focused on them, mostly they just helpers.
Sonic has to fight a badniks, he needs buddy to help and show off his personality, that's about it for now. Maybe mini-series will change that, we don't know.

• Thumbs Up 2