Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, Badnik Zero said:

So hey... non-reader here.

Do you guys think it’s a good time to break into the series?

Better now than #100.

Is it at that point where it’s an actual world, or are they still building?

Depends on how you'd define a "world". There are locations, there are characters, and characters that live in those locations.

Eggman and Sonic are gonna stay the way they are because they are the two sort of key points of the franchise. If you break everything down back to basic's its just them two. That said it seems sonic as a character is allowed to atleast be granted the blessing of introspection and hopefully failure in this series. Eggman will never be granted introspection, its not in his character archetype and that's why he works. That said to break up that sameyness there should be other villains.

That's where starline comes in, and probs other folks

52 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic #18 is... fine.

What's there to say? Sonic keeps fighting Zombies. It's not that different from robots. I think Flynn is missing some golden opportunity for greater violence, now that we established those things regenerated. In next issue I want Omega in GUN truck smashing through familiar faces. I never watched/read/played Walking Dead, but I feel like Flynn could use some more Zombie tropes.

Starline's arc is going were we all expected (BTW I'm calling this now, putting Emerald in throne was bad idea), Gemerl is now more robot-ish, and Flynn still doesn't let Cream fight on equal footing (this isn't really a complain. We have tons of fighters. If Flynn decided to give her other jobs, I respect that he sticks to his guns).

And there main drama around Gemerl, which I won't spoil, I'll just say 'it's fine'. Artwork is just fine, jokes... are non I think. It's okay issue, but kinda going with the motions. Reminds me of last days of Preboot Archie, when Team Fighters chased Death Egg. Issue were fine, but lack...how to put it. Twist? Punch? Hook?

Next stop is 2-parter with Team Dark, maybe that will have more 'bang' I'm hoping for.

" It fine " is about how I would rate it yeah.

Hopefully it gets better in the future or somethin

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that I don't like is how the civilians are waaaay too incompetent: I get that they don't have the experience of the game cast,but neither does Tangle and she does just fine. Why can't others being decent at their job? They fought a war! You'd think they should be able to handle themselves. Instead they constantly fail at the simplest things just so that the main cast can look better

• Thumbs Up 1

So hey... non-reader here.

Do you guys think it’s a good time to break into the series? I see you guys posting about the miniseries they have planned. I always like it when a world gets big enough to support a couple books. I was a pretty big Archie fan (read: old) but lost interest right around the continuous Megaman crossover plugs. Universe was pretty much what I always wanted from a Sonic book. Development for so many characters across multiple changing arcs was great. I know I won’t get that at the IDW book, or at least it feels like I won’t. Am I wrong?

I’ve been avoiding IDW Sonic the way I avoid watching a tv show in its first season, until at least two seasons are out. I like catching up. Is it at that point where it’s an actual world, or are they still building?

I highly suggest that, since the series is still young, you grab the first 2 volumes on Amazon or in a comic book if they have them, so you can read season 1 as it's the beginning and you don't wanna miss it. There is no point in buying Tangle and Whisper #1 if you don't know who the characters are. Just a suggestion.

Also, this place may not be a good example of where to ask about the comics, so you should try on twitter, facebook and the Sonic reddit. This place is quite hard on these comics, for some reason.

Okay, so Issue 18 as an outline I think was fairly smart; as an screenplay, it felt somewhat meandering and a tad skewed in how it conducted some of these things.

Spoiler

So Gemerl talking like a robot is almost certainly [also] supposed to emphasize his logical thinking and innate tendency towards wiping out a threat. So while I understand that, I also couldn't but think you could've had him talk more normally in order to emphasize his urgency. A motivated person with a robotic mindset, if you will.

As for Cream herself, I mixed on how the issue envisages her. Again, from a setup standpoint, this was a good way to showcase her characterization while fitting in with the ongoing arc. However, the way it was presented along with how the issue wraps up felt a tad...not contradictory, but one of those "loss one trying to get one" situations? Additionally, the one page where the white feline girl asks him about Cream going on adventures in conjunction with his comment when she flies off felt excessive together, not to mention a little meta in a way. I hate to say it, but it kinda gives off a vibe of overcompensating to r[e]establish her given the Ls her screentime has gotten for the last half decade.

The Eggman and Starline on the other hand was perfect. It looks at the Sonic vs Eggman dynamic while conveying the conflicted idealization Starline feels about witnessing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

They fought a war!

Not very well though.

7 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

I really liked this issue.

Hide contents

Gemerl is pretty interesting, in that he TRIES to be good and to protect Cream, but still have to learn all of the part of "compassion" and stuff, while being able to understand it when Cream explain it to him. It makes him really interesting for me, because it give to him a lot of room to grow. He really give to him a lot of potential.

Very true. Still wasn't sure the robot-ish speak was necessary, but that does show what you can do with the two of them.

Hide contents

I also loved the idea of zombotifing Cheese. Not just because of this image of Cheese just before full transformation, but also because separating Cream from Cheese is an interesting idea. I hope we will get another bit of Cream before the big Finale, or during it, because it really have potential to make her grow. I also liked her portrayal : she is a little girl that want to protect everybody, and she is as such naive, brave, emotional… She was really well done, and that was pretty cool.

Oh yeah, I didn't fully think about that.

Given how things go down here, though, I did wonder if that is in the cards.

Hide contents

The doubt of Starline are also interesting. The disillusion is pretty cool, and it could make interesting stuff about Starline. I can suppose him becoming full-on dangerous in some point. I also liked how the problem of Eggman isn't bowl-down to just "he is smart but stupid", but more linked to his lack of long-term planning (I would have prefered if they have linked this lack of long-term planning to his ego).

Spoiler

That is Eggman alright. He's so confident in his genius that he'll often ignore fine tuning things the moment he gets his plan in working order.

What I also like about Starline is that you can tell he's angry, just disappointed. He seems to honestly feel saddened by the idea that Eggman as great as he's cracked up to be.

Hide contents

I also prefer Flynn's Orbot to the games one. He isn't downright insulting with Eggman, way more the "sassy lacket", and it makes him pretty cool.

I think something most games neglect is that Orbot's like that because he's an attentive assistant to a childish egomaniac. He's there to help overseer operations and point of potential flaws, but Eggman doesn't always take this seriously and tends to be overbearing regardless.

That's also part of Dr. Nega's contrasting demeanor, come to think of it.

7 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

She reminds me of Amy in the Adventure series

Spoiler

Eh, I did think adding on "Don't they deserve to be happy?" was a bit much.

In that they have compassion yes, but it's a pretty common trait, especially in Sonic xD With that exception of compassion, tbh they are pretty different in they way of acting, because they correspond to différent cliché. Amy in the Sonic Adventure was the kinda-braty-but-not-too-much girl with a heart of gold added as the part that make her "special", while Cream is totally here a "little girl", that is impressive for her age because of her courage.

I would say that Cream is more like… Cream ? A bit like the Sonic Battle Cream (but with a better writing imo, and without Battle Amy which can only makes me happy because I still have nightmares of the word boxercise), but with a tiny bit of a Sonic X influence.

Essentially.

Besides, Amy is also more about living according to what your heart tells you and being able to do follow that no matter what.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Cream + Boxercise + Sonic X = An Interesting Combo

It is weird to me to learn that they have you not play as Cream for much of her story, only to also have her NOT incorporate that into her moveset. 

I like how they brought Chocola back after 10 years and he basically dies in his first reappearance.

7 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

Hide contents

Starline... Still think he is from the future the way he talks.

Eh, unfortunately I don't think so.

Spoiler

He talks as if Eggman's conquest began when he was relatively young. 

4 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

I also like that Sonic's World is FINALLY starting to take form… even with a map done by Cream, which I find absolutely lazy and ugly, I hope IDW releases a better map in the future.

Hey hey hey, I think you mean talented and cute, thank you.

For a 6 year old. 

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Oh hey, look, I called that Eggman wouldn’t properly code the zombots and would almost definitely turn against him.

How do you code goo zombies anyway?

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Also, Gemerl sucks here from what I’ve read so far. It seems to all just be generic robo voice. So disappointed we got this bland characterless version over Archie, even if Archie tried to make him like Shard.

What gets me is that around his talk with Sonic, his lines really aren't that adherent to that. Tone done some of verbs and it could've been regular dialogue.

Also, that was almost certainly an unavoidable coincidence.

3 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

If you can, I’d recommend grabbing Tangle & Whisper issue 0. Not only is it a neat little sneak peak at the upcoming miniseries, but it also contains an 8-page recap of Year 1.

Really now? Okay, I'll admit that's handy of em.

2 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

StH#17 and StH#18 should have switched release order. 

Oh? What makes you say that?

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

And that's why sonics stories always start strong but fall flat. He CAN'T  lose. Superman, spiderman, Jack. They lose sometimes in situations they can't fix. Sonic wins regardless how world ending the threat

He failed to save Charmy.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I think Flynn is missing some golden opportunity for greater violence, now that we established those things regenerated. In next issue I want Omega in GUN truck from SA2, smashing through familiar faces. I never watched/read/played Walking Dead, but I feel like Flynn could use some more Zombie tropes.

That's partly because it's a Cream centric issue. Never mind that would involve making a mess and potentially spreading the virus quicker.

We should be getting that in the next story, though. Which is a good juxtaposition, now that I think about it.

Flynn still doesn't let Cream fight on equal footing (this isn't really a complain. We have tons of fighters. If Flynn decided to give her other jobs, I respect that he sticks to his guns).

Considering Cream & Cheese are technically another close quarter combatant, that'd be a bad idea here.

Characters are perfectly...characterized, but not developed. They don't push their powers to the limits, they aren't put in unusual situations, no new spin. Heck, they lucky if issue is focused on them, mostly they just helpers.
Sonic has to fight a badniks, he needs buddy to help and show off his personality, that's about it for now. Maybe mini-series will change that, we don't know.

Eh, I'd say this issue and the last one did technically do something offbeat.

54 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

One thing that I don't like is how the civilians are waaaay too incompetent: I get that they don't have the experience of the game cast,but neither does Tangle and she does just fine. Why can't others being decent at their job? They fought a war! You'd think they should be able to handle themselves. Instead they constantly fail at the simplest things just so that the main cast can look better

If I remember correctly enough, Tangle's debut issue claimed she was indeed a member of the Resistance.

And at the very least, the citizens in these last two issues didn't have Wispons.

8 hours ago, caitash said:

Well usually around this time on a release day I’m enjoying the comic and possibly posting my thoughts on it. But the IDW App is telling me the issue 18 is out but ‘Not available for this device’ 😕 Not sure if that’s a bug or if they’ve suddenly dropped a load of supported devices from their compatibility service.

I'm having this same issue with the app. Somebody already posted the issue in its entirety on 4chan, but it would be nice to be able to... You know... Financially support the comic?

18 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:
Spoiler

I like how they brought Chocola back after 10 years and he basically dies in his first reappearance.

Yeah, that was a bit odd.

If anything, I would've thought

Spoiler

he and Cream would've made it due to his earlier implied inexperience/flakiness and Vanilla's protectiveness respectively. 

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm having this same issue with the app. Somebody already posted the issue in its entirety on 4chan, but it would be nice to be able to... You know... Financially support the comic?

Oh? That's a bit of a shame.

But I guess the comic has been doing swimmingly.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog: Supports even the evilest Chao abuse.

Since Gemerl has been in a complete stasis from Advance 3, it's clear he hasn't done much. If he still has the capability to learn/copy, he can be like a Sonic, Amy, Shadow, and Tails.

Oh yeah, I forgot to bring up that they reinforce Gemerl's ability to combine with machines as an option.

Not the fail I meant it's the fail we all know the virus will be cured. Now if they did a non Sega twist I'd leave some infected 

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Not the fail I meant it's the fail we all know the virus will be cured. Now if they did a non Sega twist I'd leave some infected 

Spoiler

Poor Rough and Tumble.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

My solution has been just to buy it on my PC, but this is rather annoying.

It’s really annoying because all my issues are in the app, I don’t wanna have to buy them elsewhere and have the issues stored in different places. I’d rather not touch 4Chan though so if the issue isn’t resolved soon I’ll just go to YouTube and wait for someone to upload it there.

ETA: Seems they fixed it shortly after I posted this, hurrah!

So I got my issue 18. Why the hell was the issue with cream and her mom priced at 10 dollars. I mean I could have got it but just. Why?

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So I got my issue 18. Why the hell was the issue with cream and her mom priced at 10 dollars. I mean I could have got it but just. Why?

Where did you buy it from? I only had to pay $3.99 plus tax.

13 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

:lol: They had to pay for her come back somehow.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I dunno about the IDW app, I never used that, I buy them directly from Google Books, at a cheap price too. They usually release the comic at 2 am UK time.

Brief thoughts on the issue: 

Spoiler
  • I knew that Eggman was gonna screw the pooch hard on this plan. I was right he wasn't in control of the Zombots, but was wrong in that it was mutations, rather than Eggman playing with an untested invention.
  • Starline having doubts is interesting, as well as Orbot's snark about the issue.
  • Sonic nearly getting changed was a good way to set up panic for the issue.
  • Eggman (in another thing I said he should've done from the beginning) is finally beginning to specifically aim down Sonic. His entire motivation this time around was basically luring Sonic into a village he would have to get close to because he knew Sonic would need to save Cream. This is exactly what I've wanted for the past few issues, Eggman specifically pot-shotting Sonic to turn him.
  • Gemerl sucks. There's no other way to put it. He is just stupidly boring and dull now. As I said earlier, at least him resembling Shard in Post-252 Archie made sense, given that he took up Sonic's way of speaking, and traits. But now he's literally just "bland robo-guy". Reminds me of how boring Omega was before Ian made him a trigger-happy destruction lover.
  • One moment I particularly loved - Sonic running into the forest and being questioned why Cream is allowed to adventure with him. I like how it started with two kids thinking they were better than her, then coming up with a completely bone-headed plan to try stop the invasion. Sonic's reaction was amazing that Cream is allowed to come along because she has common sense.
  • I liked a lot of the issue with Cream. Ian seems to finally have cracked what was one of his biggest flaws in Archie Sonic, especially post-reboot, where Cream was constantly delegated to being able to do nothing. We were literally at the ridiculous point that Cream putting a bandage on Sally was some massive achievement. Here, she's proactive, slaps sense into Gemerl, flies her mother out of the city, wants to go out and help others, and more. 
  • The above was excellently cemented with Sonic saying to himself that Cream will grow up to be amazing someday. It always drove me nuts how Ian used Cream's age as an excuse for not allowing her to do anything, despite Tails being her same age. Cream might not have his experience, but she's not completely useless, nor should she be treated as such.
  • Cheese protecting Cream to the last second, and giving a sad Chao Chao before being turned was surprisingly more heartwrenching than you would think, especially when you see Cream nearly breakdown when she realises what happened.

In general though, I'm really kind of getting bored of the formula. I'm sad to say that after the shock value of the premise is over, it feels like we're repeating the same formula over again. Sonic runs to a village under attack, protects citizens from Zombots, helps friend of the month deal with invasion, and help evacuate the people away, Sonic talks about having to leave villagers to fend for themselves while he burns off the virus again, and by the end, someone gets infected. We had it with the Chaotix, we had it with Cream this issue, and next issue seems to be setting up Team Dark next.

I mean, I guess you can have the excitement of wondering who'll be turned next, but I think because this issue lacks the shock value of 

Spoiler

Charmy's turn 

it reveals the formula that much easier because there's no shock value of "ballsy move" behind it. Literally all that happened this issue in terms of Sonic's "friends" getting infected was 

Spoiler

Cheese and Chocola

and to that point, I found it almost kind of laughable that it was those two being turned that caused him to get serious about it, because they haven't had a lot of interactions that would make that reaction make sense. It feels like it was meant to be someone else getting turned and then it was changed last second.

From here on, Ian really needs to start breaking up the formula, because once the shock value dies down, it becomes really apparent quickly where the cracks is in the story arc. It's a different premise from Year 1 and yet the formula is basically the exact same with one new added thing - which is someone being turned at the end. It's a weak as hell story device to rely on shock value to mask the repetitive formula.

Honestly, I'd kind of like if Sonic ended up turned and Sonic's remaining friends had to go up against him to cure the virus. Make like a small task force with Tails, Knuckles, Amy, etc and force them to fight Sonic without allowing him to touch them. 

At the very least, I just want a break from this formula, and it doesn't seem like we'll get it til that solicited Tails issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Maybe have Eggman take over 90% of the planet with the zombots, then Sonic and Tails flee to a village in the Wood Zone with a colorful cast of warriors fighting for independence, like a squirrel, a wolf, a seal, and a half-zombot hare