Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe have Eggman take over 90% of the planet with the zombots, then Sonic and Tails flee to a village in the Wood Zone with a colorful cast of warriors fighting for independence, like a squirrel, a wolf, a seal, and a half-zombot hare

Coyote and Walrus.

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe have Eggman take over 90% of the planet with the zombots, then Sonic and Tails flee to a village in the Wood Zone with a colorful cast of warriors fighting for independence, like a squirrel, a wolf, a seal, and a half-zombot hare

Stupid concept like this wouldn't even last 26 episodes, let alone fuel a long-living comic.

Now if Sonic found recolors long lost siblings and fought zombot with music instruments...actually that would live 14 episodes more.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Razule said:

You get that fever dream outta here. Go on git

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

My local store. It was labeled as "incentive issue"

There are "incentive" versions of every issue so far, usually ones with the same without-outlines art style. It's weird but a lot of comics do that where there's a variant that's a bit more expensive than the rest. The comic book place I go to also has the Sonic incentive issues priced at $10.

2 hours ago, caitash said:

It’s really annoying because all my issues are in the app, I don’t wanna have to buy them elsewhere and have the issues stored in different places. I’d rather not touch 4Chan though so if the issue isn’t resolved soon I’ll just go to YouTube and wait for someone to upload it there.

ETA: Seems they fixed it shortly after I posted this, hurrah!

Yeah, it fixed for me about the same time.

27 minutes ago, EmmBee said:

There are "incentive" versions of every issue so far, usually ones with the same without-outlines art style. It's weird but a lot of comics do that where there's a variant that's a bit more expensive than the rest. The comic book place I go to also has the Sonic incentive issues priced at $10.

Why price it so high for something so short. It's just a different cover. Same quality paper

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Why price it so high for something so short. It's just a different cover. Same quality paper

Rarity and collectability. Usually, comic shops have to order X number of regular copies in order to receive one incentive cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

No, but there IS a mandate saying that Sonic has to always win. Making sure Eggman doesn't think is one way to keep that mandate in check.

I like that Eggman is overconfident. It's a fun character flaw. Also it'd be a pretty dull story if the bad guy won.

17 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I like that Eggman is overconfident. It's a fun character flaw. Also it'd be a pretty dull story if the bad guy won.

It'd be an even duller story if the hero always won.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

The Bad guy never wins...so that's literally not true.

If it could happen, it should.

42 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

It'd be an even duller story if the hero always won.

I agree, but I don't think eggman's the guy who should be winning .

I never got why the "Sonic must win" "mandate" is such a big issue. And like most of the mandates, it's been exaggerated by fans for years. He can lose, there just has to be the promise that the good guys will eventually triumph, as shown in Eggman Empire and constantly throughout the Mecha Sally/King Naugus arc. Like what else do you want? If Sonic suffered Eggman Empire-tier defeats constantly it would lose its impact, and the next step would be, what, Sonic dying? Ain't happening. 

He's a funny animal adventure hero for kids. He can struggle, he can suffer setbacks, but he'll always win in the end because he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 7

I thought this issue was fun but moved a little fast. Art was good as always and I'm glad to see Gemerl and Chocola again. Not usually a Cream fan but I like how they used her and Emerl's relationship.

There was a lot of talk about Cream's potential but not much room to actually show it. I think they could have spent another issue in this village if they wanted. 

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I thought this issue was fun but moved a little fast. Art was good as always and I'm glad to see Gemerl again.  

There was a lot of talk about Cream's potential but not much room to actually show it. I think they could have spent another issue in this village if they wanted. 

I thought that's what they were gonna do at one point, honestly. But I suppose it wouldn't have made sense.

17 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

I never got why the "Sonic must win" "mandate" is such a big issue. And like most of the mandates, it's been exaggerated by fans for years. He can lose, there just has to be the promise that the good guys will eventually triumph, as shown in Eggman Empire and constantly throughout the Mecha Sally/King Naugus arc. Like what else do you want? If Sonic suffered Eggman Empire-tier defeats constantly it would lose its impact, and the next step would be, what, Sonic dying? Ain't happening. 

He's a funny animal adventure hero for kids. He can struggle, he can suffer setbacks, but he'll always win in the end because he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

So the flaw in what you are saying.

1) No one wants sonic to suffer people  want sonic to learn a thing

2) Adventure time is a funny show for kids and the main character looses a goddamn arm , the girl of his dream he ruins  up his relationship with as is constantly learning he isn't the coolest guy in the world and it humbles him.

Infact on point two... that's a pretty common trait in modern kids media nowadays, the main characters are largely dorks who can fail and that's interesting and relatable. And I find that sonic as a character who is constantly supposed to be cool, is being left behind trying to be cool and win all the time. Its why I find this story interesting, this whole story is because he fucked up. More stories like this. Main characters that attempt to have any sort of character have evolved largely, and I think its time for sonic and the franchise in general to make that next evolutionary step. In my opinion anyway. If my little pony of all things can do this shit, sonic can manage to have him fuck up and think about it from time to time. 

No one saying he can't win, people are upset he doesn't learn anything and there are no real set backs. Kids are smart and appreciate characters like that because they can relate to such things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic has never been the type of character that had much to learn. It doesn't bother me much in this series because at this point he's been doing this for a while and he's still never really been 100% on top of everything 

I just read the issue. I don't have too much to say about this one actually. This is the first one where I actually noticed the formula so right off the bat I can't say it had the same amount of grit and shock value of the last issue.

Still a fun time. There's a lot of mileage to get out of a scenario like this and it was tense seeing Cream and Vanilla struggle like they did. I do end up wondering how lucky you have to be to not get touched at all by them and that only lasted for so long until-

Spoiler

the Chao turned into Zombots! They punched the glass so menacingly though.

The most tense and exciting part of the issue was the back and forth between Germel and Sonic though. I had a blast reading that part, to the point where I actually started saying their lines aloud as though I were in a play. Seeing Sonic covered in so much of that shit was great. I do wonder if he'll be able to keep this up even if I have a feeling deep down that he might manage it.

Also, Starline is proving to be quite the interesting character. Discerning a very real flaw in Eggman's approach to quite a lot of his schemes is one thing but I'm really taken by his reaction to figuring it out. I don't know what he's thinking or what his conclusion is going to be. It really could go either way with him. I do actually find him far more interesting than Tangle or Whisper at the moment. 

So that's it. Fine issue but not one of the strongest so far. 

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Sonic has never been the type of character that had much to learn. It doesn't bother me much in this series because at this point he's been doing this for a while and he's still never really been 100% on top of everything 

Maybe its time to make a change. This is a forever brand and I feel like actually learning to evolve with the time instead of somehow despite being the fastest thing around simultaneously being embarrassingly late to every single party and doing a piss poor job of impersonating everyone else when he gets there. Thinks about the film

There are a lot of things sonic has never done, and plenty of things I don't want to see him do. But maybe its time for him to do something as a brand actually be aware of the world of media around him and how that's changing. Because he's being left  behind.

But that's just me, if you feel differently that's ok.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

1) No one wants sonic to suffer

I kinda want Sonic to suffer.

Anyway I don't have much to say about this issue, things just kinda...keep going. Feels like it exists more to introduce even more characters than to move the story forward. The virus threat has yet to have any real impact; Sonic's still consistently fighting it off, only a couple other named characters have been infected, and all that seems to amount to is taking them out of the story. We know they're not getting killed off so there's no tension there. Skip ahead to the part where someone's got to fight/escape from an infected friend or when Sonic finally succumbs and someone else has to step up and fix things.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

There are a lot of things sonic has never done, and plenty of things I don't want to see him do. But maybe its time for him to do something as a brand actually be aware of the world of media around him and how that's changing. Because he's being left  behind. 

I like how you can take one point about a fictional character's flaw and make it about something else entirely like problems a brand has with staying relevant. These are two completely separate issues.

But you taking things people say and switching them around to something convenient they aren't even arguing about isn't new.

24 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

But that's just me, if you feel differently that's ok.

Also, stop doing this.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Stupid concept like this wouldn't even last 26 episodes, let alone fuel a long-living comic.

Now if Sonic found recolors long lost siblings and fought zombot with music instruments...actually that would live 14 episodes more.

Think of all the stories to be told with the same 8 characters and 4 locations! The possibilities are limitless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I do actually find him far more interesting than Tangle or Whisper at the moment. 

He's been far more involved and developed in the comic than they have. And it's pretty easy to develop an antagonist I find, since they're usually the ones making the plot and any humanizing elements they showcase whether good or bad inherently adds a layer.

Whisper in comparison has only had three or four appearances to date, with four more consecutively on the way very soon---half of which just had her as a supporting character in the back.  

46 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Skip ahead to the part where someone's got to fight/escape from an infected friend or when Sonic finally succumbs and someone else has to step up and fix things.

Spoiler

Wait for it