Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So I got my issue 18. Why the hell was the issue with cream and her mom priced at 10 dollars. I mean I could have got it but just. Why?

Where did you buy it from? I only had to pay $3.99 plus tax.

13 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So I got my issue 18. Why the hell was the issue with cream and her mom priced at 10 dollars. I mean I could have got it but just. Why?

:lol: They had to pay for her come back somehow.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm having this same issue with the app. Somebody already posted the issue in its entirety on 4chan, but it would be nice to be able to... You know... Financially support the comic?

I dunno about the IDW app, I never used that, I buy them directly from Google Books, at a cheap price too. They usually release the comic at 2 am UK time.

Brief thoughts on the issue: 

Spoiler
  • I knew that Eggman was gonna screw the pooch hard on this plan. I was right he wasn't in control of the Zombots, but was wrong in that it was mutations, rather than Eggman playing with an untested invention.
  • Starline having doubts is interesting, as well as Orbot's snark about the issue.
  • Sonic nearly getting changed was a good way to set up panic for the issue.
  • Eggman (in another thing I said he should've done from the beginning) is finally beginning to specifically aim down Sonic. His entire motivation this time around was basically luring Sonic into a village he would have to get close to because he knew Sonic would need to save Cream. This is exactly what I've wanted for the past few issues, Eggman specifically pot-shotting Sonic to turn him.
  • Gemerl sucks. There's no other way to put it. He is just stupidly boring and dull now. As I said earlier, at least him resembling Shard in Post-252 Archie made sense, given that he took up Sonic's way of speaking, and traits. But now he's literally just "bland robo-guy". Reminds me of how boring Omega was before Ian made him a trigger-happy destruction lover.
  • One moment I particularly loved - Sonic running into the forest and being questioned why Cream is allowed to adventure with him. I like how it started with two kids thinking they were better than her, then coming up with a completely bone-headed plan to try stop the invasion. Sonic's reaction was amazing that Cream is allowed to come along because she has common sense.
  • I liked a lot of the issue with Cream. Ian seems to finally have cracked what was one of his biggest flaws in Archie Sonic, especially post-reboot, where Cream was constantly delegated to being able to do nothing. We were literally at the ridiculous point that Cream putting a bandage on Sally was some massive achievement. Here, she's proactive, slaps sense into Gemerl, flies her mother out of the city, wants to go out and help others, and more. 
  • The above was excellently cemented with Sonic saying to himself that Cream will grow up to be amazing someday. It always drove me nuts how Ian used Cream's age as an excuse for not allowing her to do anything, despite Tails being her same age. Cream might not have his experience, but she's not completely useless, nor should she be treated as such.
  • Cheese protecting Cream to the last second, and giving a sad Chao Chao before being turned was surprisingly more heartwrenching than you would think, especially when you see Cream nearly breakdown when she realises what happened.

In general though, I'm really kind of getting bored of the formula. I'm sad to say that after the shock value of the premise is over, it feels like we're repeating the same formula over again. Sonic runs to a village under attack, protects citizens from Zombots, helps friend of the month deal with invasion, and help evacuate the people away, Sonic talks about having to leave villagers to fend for themselves while he burns off the virus again, and by the end, someone gets infected. We had it with the Chaotix, we had it with Cream this issue, and next issue seems to be setting up Team Dark next.

I mean, I guess you can have the excitement of wondering who'll be turned next, but I think because this issue lacks the shock value of 

Spoiler

Charmy's turn 

it reveals the formula that much easier because there's no shock value of "ballsy move" behind it. Literally all that happened this issue in terms of Sonic's "friends" getting infected was 

Spoiler

Cheese and Chocola

and to that point, I found it almost kind of laughable that it was those two being turned that caused him to get serious about it, because they haven't had a lot of interactions that would make that reaction make sense. It feels like it was meant to be someone else getting turned and then it was changed last second.

From here on, Ian really needs to start breaking up the formula, because once the shock value dies down, it becomes really apparent quickly where the cracks is in the story arc. It's a different premise from Year 1 and yet the formula is basically the exact same with one new added thing - which is someone being turned at the end. It's a weak as hell story device to rely on shock value to mask the repetitive formula.

Honestly, I'd kind of like if Sonic ended up turned and Sonic's remaining friends had to go up against him to cure the virus. Make like a small task force with Tails, Knuckles, Amy, etc and force them to fight Sonic without allowing him to touch them. 

At the very least, I just want a break from this formula, and it doesn't seem like we'll get it til that solicited Tails issue.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Not the fail I meant it's the fail we all know the virus will be cured. Now if they did a non Sega twist I'd leave some infected 

Maybe have Eggman take over 90% of the planet with the zombots, then Sonic and Tails flee to a village in the Wood Zone with a colorful cast of warriors fighting for independence, like a squirrel, a wolf, a seal, and a half-zombot hare

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe have Eggman take over 90% of the planet with the zombots, then Sonic and Tails flee to a village in the Wood Zone with a colorful cast of warriors fighting for independence, like a squirrel, a wolf, a seal, and a half-zombot hare

Coyote and Walrus.

10 minutes ago, Razule said:

Stupid concept like this wouldn't even last 26 episodes, let alone fuel a long-living comic.

Now if Sonic found recolors long lost siblings and fought zombot with music instruments...actually that would live 14 episodes more.

33 minutes ago, Razule said:

You get that fever dream outta here. Go on git

2 hours ago, caitash said:

It’s really annoying because all my issues are in the app, I don’t wanna have to buy them elsewhere and have the issues stored in different places. I’d rather not touch 4Chan though so if the issue isn’t resolved soon I’ll just go to YouTube and wait for someone to upload it there.

ETA: Seems they fixed it shortly after I posted this, hurrah!

Yeah, it fixed for me about the same time.

27 minutes ago, EmmBee said:

There are "incentive" versions of every issue so far, usually ones with the same without-outlines art style. It's weird but a lot of comics do that where there's a variant that's a bit more expensive than the rest. The comic book place I go to also has the Sonic incentive issues priced at $10.

Why price it so high for something so short. It's just a different cover. Same quality paper

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Why price it so high for something so short. It's just a different cover. Same quality paper

Rarity and collectability. Usually, comic shops have to order X number of regular copies in order to receive one incentive cover.

15 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

No, but there IS a mandate saying that Sonic has to always win. Making sure Eggman doesn't think is one way to keep that mandate in check.

I like that Eggman is overconfident. It's a fun character flaw. Also it'd be a pretty dull story if the bad guy won.

19 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I like that Eggman is overconfident. It's a fun character flaw. Also it'd be a pretty dull story if the bad guy won.

The Bad guy never wins...so that's literally not true.

If it could happen, it should.

I never got why the "Sonic must win" "mandate" is such a big issue. And like most of the mandates, it's been exaggerated by fans for years. He can lose, there just has to be the promise that the good guys will eventually triumph, as shown in Eggman Empire and constantly throughout the Mecha Sally/King Naugus arc. Like what else do you want? If Sonic suffered Eggman Empire-tier defeats constantly it would lose its impact, and the next step would be, what, Sonic dying? Ain't happening. 

He's a funny animal adventure hero for kids. He can struggle, he can suffer setbacks, but he'll always win in the end because he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

I thought this issue was fun but moved a little fast. Art was good as always and I'm glad to see Gemerl and Chocola again. Not usually a Cream fan but I like how they used her and Emerl's relationship.

There was a lot of talk about Cream's potential but not much room to actually show it. I think they could have spent another issue in this village if they wanted. 

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I thought this issue was fun but moved a little fast. Art was good as always and I'm glad to see Gemerl again.  

There was a lot of talk about Cream's potential but not much room to actually show it. I think they could have spent another issue in this village if they wanted. 

I thought that's what they were gonna do at one point, honestly. But I suppose it wouldn't have made sense.

17 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

I never got why the "Sonic must win" "mandate" is such a big issue. And like most of the mandates, it's been exaggerated by fans for years. He can lose, there just has to be the promise that the good guys will eventually triumph, as shown in Eggman Empire and constantly throughout the Mecha Sally/King Naugus arc. Like what else do you want? If Sonic suffered Eggman Empire-tier defeats constantly it would lose its impact, and the next step would be, what, Sonic dying? Ain't happening. 

He's a funny animal adventure hero for kids. He can struggle, he can suffer setbacks, but he'll always win in the end because he's Sonic the Hedgehog.

So the flaw in what you are saying.

1) No one wants sonic to suffer people  want sonic to learn a thing

2) Adventure time is a funny show for kids and the main character looses a goddamn arm , the girl of his dream he ruins  up his relationship with as is constantly learning he isn't the coolest guy in the world and it humbles him.

Infact on point two... that's a pretty common trait in modern kids media nowadays, the main characters are largely dorks who can fail and that's interesting and relatable. And I find that sonic as a character who is constantly supposed to be cool, is being left behind trying to be cool and win all the time. Its why I find this story interesting, this whole story is because he fucked up. More stories like this. Main characters that attempt to have any sort of character have evolved largely, and I think its time for sonic and the franchise in general to make that next evolutionary step. In my opinion anyway. If my little pony of all things can do this shit, sonic can manage to have him fuck up and think about it from time to time. 

No one saying he can't win, people are upset he doesn't learn anything and there are no real set backs. Kids are smart and appreciate characters like that because they can relate to such things.

Sonic has never been the type of character that had much to learn. It doesn't bother me much in this series because at this point he's been doing this for a while and he's still never really been 100% on top of everything